The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

First Pokemon, then Ponies, now Dinosaurs

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Both your pencil artwork and your digital artwork looks great. I can't decide between them either :lol

EDIT: Just a quick question... Have you already noticed the little (and terribly inactive) subforum of the "Caption This" Forum called "Fanart Caption This"? I think that this would make a nice picture to be captured :)
Inactive, probably forever.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ducky123: Yes, I've seen it. If you want to, you can open a thread with this piece. :)

And..it seems I'm still continuing doing stuff.
The thing is, I have some (which means, a lot) stuff to be stressed about at the moment. But there are still times where I just can't help it. And I dislike doing nothing, soo...yep. xD

[align=center]Just Hanging Around

Source
(for bigger size etc.)[/align]

The biggest resolution I have of this is insane. My computer almost went Nnope because of this. I'll have to see if I can even add the shading when it's that big. To give you an idea about the size...
If you want to have a banner with Littlefoot and Ali hanging in your room that is 2,50x1,90 meters big, let me know. xD

Hope you like it, and if you see any flaws, let me now. :)

Tomorrow I'll know if I failed this semester despite of working pretty hard or not. I really hope I can work something out. xD

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A lovely scene, isn't it? :p You caught their expressions pretty well like you always do (and no pencil pic this time? :o). Actually, you are capable of creating LBT fanart so well, that I daresay it looks better than it sometimes does in the movies :angel

Ducky123: Yes, I've seen it. If you want to, you can open a thread with this piece. smile.gif
Will do!
Tomorrow I'll know if I failed this semester despite of working pretty hard or not. I really hope I can work something out. xD
Well, if your fear is going to come true, you can relate to Ali. If, however, your results are good, you can rather relate to Littlefoot (since he'd laugh due to Ali falling) :p

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
No pencil version this time, nnope.^^
I just didn't want to draw with pencils this time.

Oh, and...

you are capable of creating LBT fanart so well, that I daresay it looks better than it sometimes does in the movies

Stop it you! :oops
(I think I've said this before...yep, I did. xD)

Oh, and everything went well. I didn't fail this semester and just got myself a Cera plushie because of this.^^

So what's more to say? Ah, yes. Here, have a humongous Littlefoot eye staring on you..He knows what you're up to. xD

(Yes, this is from the 100% version. Lacking smooth outlines though.)

And now there's a new fanfic chapter for me to read. *cough* Shorty's Dark Past *cough*
:D

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
[align=center]Just Hanging Around - Shaded

Source

Jep, it's done. Jep, shading was done in the high-res version (660,6 mb large workfile..I wonder if this is trying to tell me something...? Yeah, let's listen to Highway To Hell. :D).
Photoshop refused to save the high-res version for the web. :D

Shading Ali was a bit challenging, because she's upside down. That's where I spent the most time while shading.

Time needed for outlines+shading: 9 hours 30 minutes. And 45 minutes for finding misplaced pixels. Those little jerks. xD
Well, hope you like it. :)

RockingScorpion

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
And you're claiming that colouring with pencils takes too much time... :p I'd never spend 10 hours on one single picture...  :wow Except I need three attempts to get the outlines right :p

The shading really adds something to the picture; it sure does look much better when shaded. I got only one question: Why aren't you shading your pictures right away?

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
10 hours...some people are way faster. Maybe that comes with experience, but experience or not, I try to work as detailed as possible. When the drawing is as big as this one, you'll get lots and lots of small errors. xD

Why I'm not shading right away..I'm trying to work as nondestructive as possible. That way, outlines just have to come first. Then comes shading. Working like that means that you can turn everything on and off and change everything like you want without anything happening to the rest of the picture.

Outlines without color and shading? Possible in a few clicks.
Color without outlines but shading? Possible in a few clicks.
Removing that one shading part that looks off? No problem.
No outlines, no eyes, no color, but shading? No idea why you want this, but possible in a few clicks. xD

That's also the reason why I can move the eyes around.^^

Yes, the file get's bigger that way. But you have ONE file containing everything. It's kind of nice.^^
This one has 23 layers...after I already brought the outlines on one layer.

For the outlines I use a tool where I have to split the outlines up. I had about 100 layers of outlines there. xD
After I'm done with outlines, I bring them all to one layer and start with shading. Otherwise I'd go crazy when looking for one specific layer I guess. xD

Oh and...another answer (tldr-answer): Since the unshaded versions are always done earlier, I put them online, too, even when I continue with shading right away. Just because I can and want to. :D

Oh, and...I just said you'd need a lot of color pencils, nothing about the time you need.
I guess I'd draw something like this in about 6 hours maximum when going traditional, colored or not.^^

Thanks for your comment. :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh and...another answer (tldr-answer): Since the unshaded versions are always done earlier, I put them online, too, even when I continue with shading right away. Just because I can and want to. biggrin.gif
That's what I was hinting at but still thanks for the detailed explanation. Makes things a bit clearer :p

And you're welcome! :wave

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
@Ducky123: You should be allowed to keep the Ducky Member Icon forever.^^

Now, towards the update:

[align=center]I am a tree

Source

After telling her about one of Ducky's lines from the first episode of the LBT TV Series, my girlfriend just said: I want a Ducky Tree...

Well, now she's got one. :D
(That's also the reason I picked a leaf shape similar to a heart here).

My first self-designed LBT fanart. Ducky is really starting to grow on me as a character lately. No pun intended (it's totally intended. :D)

Also I think Fluttershy and Ducky would be great friends. Teehee. :D

This one is a little bit "unusual" compared to the most LBT Fanarts. Hope you still like it.

RockingScorpion. :)

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Ohhh... Don't get me wrong it's a real good sketch, but I do find it a little creepy... :o

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
It's surrealism. That tends to be like that, and I know what you mean, I had the same thought while drawing this. It also isn't something I do all the time. ;)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You sure have a habit of drawing weird pictures :lol Honestly though, it looks totally awesome! How long will it take until I can buy it at the local flower shop? :smile

My first self-designed LBT fanart. Ducky is really starting to grow on me as a character lately. No pun intended (it's totally intended. biggrin.gif)
That's because nobody can resist her face :exactly

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Weird? That's something I never heard before when it comes to my sketches. xD

Duckytrees in flower shops? Well...hope dies last. xD
That's because nobody can resist her face
Damn true. And no one could stop me from bringing a Ducky plushie to a Bronymeetup yesterday. :D

To the update!
[align=center]I'm coming!

Source

Update in my thread? I smell...Ducky! Of course. xD
I drew this one yesterday, during the meetup, to test myself how I would do when drawing in public. I think I'm one of the guys that also get in "the zone" while doing something. I also was able to switch out of it and back in somewhat easily. :D

And I have another one coming up soon - or not. The thing is, this time I filmed myself while drawing. At least I did until my camera battery died.
Anyway, because of the huge high quality data this camera throws at me it might take a little bit longer.
What I'm talking about here is 14 gb of data. And I'm about 50% done with drawing. Yeah...xD.
We'll see if my computer is even able to handle that. I hope so because I'd like to give out a good version. If not...well, it's something. A preview of the drawing is here, if you're interested.

Oh, and nnope, this won't be the final title. xD

RockingScorpion.

(Now I go watching the thunderstorm that is right above me and almost gave me a heart attack. xD)

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Ahh another cute Ducky drawing:) Though I must admit her left foot looks very different from her right.....

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I know where this is from :smile LBT 10, Ducky is about to catch Spike but then Spike ducks to grab some more food and Ducky crashed onto the floor :DD

Regarding the picture itself: Once again, you have shown your great skill (I'm jealous :angel) Her foot does indeed look funny but that's normal with LBT screenshots :lol ESpecially if they're from the Tv-series :rolleyes

And I have another one coming up soon - or not. The thing is, this time I filmed myself while drawing. At least I did until my camera battery died.
How to draw by RS... sounds awesome! :idea Looking forward to it (intentionally not looking at the spoiler :p)

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Dalekdino: Thanks. :)

Ducky123: Ah, I remember. :D
Jou're jealous? You don't have to be, really. Have you seen my first drawing ever (not-LBT-related) that I did based on something I'm a fan of? It's somewhere in my deviantart-journals...or here.
(Ohmygod it's so bad xD)
If anyone thinks it's not that bad: I already had 6 months of graphic design lectures behind me when I did this. xD

Like I said in your topic, you're definitely on a good way with your drawings. :)

About her foot..I don't see anything weird there. It has a different angle and a different position...but it might be the case that I worked so much time on it (actually I was somewhat fast) that I can't see it anymore. xD
You're right about the TV series though...I refuse to use THAT as a reference. The movies all had a solid animation quality, but that...no. No No No. *insert Ducky smiley here*

How to draw? Weeeell...kind of. xD
It won't be a tutorial, but you can see how I work. Sadly I didn't record the first few steps, but that's only about 10% missing there, probably not even that. The idea to record it came to me when that was already done.^^
And I found a way to tone down the huge data size with almost no visible quality loss. My computer can handle it somewhat, but I have to play fan with a piece of paper or else it get's too hot.
(That's also why this will be a one time thing. My arms kind of hurt now. xD)

If nothing gets in between, I think you can expect the drawing and the video tomorrow or in two days.

RS :)

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Whew.

I'm done. The video is online.

Never again. xD

Sooo - the drawing first:

[align=center]It Takes All Sorts

Source

Aand the video: Klick!
(With almost 10 minutes it is somewhat long, but I already made it 800% faster, so...I think that's enough. ;)

Because of the huge amount of data my camera was throwing at me, because of the fact that my computer was pretty much at it's limits and because I'm not someone who is a pro when it comes to movies and such, this video really is a one-time-thing. At least when it comes to traditional drawings, I might create one for my digital artworks. Might.^^

And well, I don't know what to say anymore here, sooo..

Hope you like it. :)

RS (I never read my nickname in a shortened version before..this is your fault, Ducky123, since you did it first. :p )

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Ahh one of my favourite scenes from my favourite LBT movie and song:)
Was also one of the first human drawings I did of Ali:)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Again, you surprise me :lol That's definitely a very cool scene you chose and, of course, it's flawless (as far as I can tell :p).
My thoughts about the video: First of all: GREAT IDEA! :lol I really should do this myself one of these days... I'd fail so much. Anyway, later in the video, it was rather dark. Not meant to be critism but some people might have trouble seeing it. There are some questions I do have: 1. Did you use a reference? 2. What was the piece of paper for (reference? :p)? 3. How did you put the camera? Angle, tripod etc :) 4. Why did you erase everything at the begiining? Was it only meant to be a rough sketch that you would erase but you still see the lines and then you would just redraw them with more pressure so they're darker?
I'm quite amazed that you just sketched this and it looked fine. Whenever I sketch, my rubber is my best friend :angel I seldom get it right at the first try...
I might create one for my digital artworks. Might.^^
YEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! :lol:
RS (I never read my nickname in a shortened version before..this is your fault, Ducky123, since you did it first. dino_tongue.gif )
I'm lazy :angel

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback. :D

Now...
Ducky123: I don't know why it is so dark suddenly. The camera had the same settings and I used the same light...I think it's my fault because I blocked off some of the light. Anyway, I think you still can see enough and I'm no pro at video making. I'm okay with how it is. xD

1: Reference was used. It can be found somewhere in "Caption This". ;)
2: That piece of paper was to protect the drawing from my own hand. I suffer from sweaty hands waaay too much. xD
3: I used a tripod, yep, and the cam was facing about 45? down. The best thing you can do is to try and let the paper take as much space in the recording as possible.
4: Just as you said. :)

Like I said, about 5 to 10% is missing here, because I didn't had the recording idea right away. What's missing is just what you said: Using the rubber a lot of times. If you look closely, you can see a very faint set of outlines being there in the beginning of the video.^^

Oh and...aren't we all lazy somehow? :D