The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

GOF "Add to buddies" option

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
When you view messages other people have sent you, at the bottom there's an option called "Add to buddies." What exactly does that do, and does anyone here actually use that?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've never used it here.  I think it has a list of your buddies, you can see if they are online, go to their profile page, send them a pm, ect.  At least that is how it works on some other forums I go to.  No idea if that is how it works here.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I have friends here, but none of them are on my "buddies" list.  I don't use this feature and I don't imagine I ever will.  It seems kinda useless to me.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Learn something new....didn't even know about the feature.  I don't have buddies on this board.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's just so that you can PM quicker by selecting their name from the dropdown list instead of typing it in.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Well, I'm going to be adding a bunch of you to my "buddies" list just to see what happens...hope none of you mind.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I usually can spell out who I'm replying to, so I guess I don't need that then.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have a couple people on my buddy list..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Okay, added 15 of you into my buddies list...couldn't add Malte, Alex, or Mirumoto_Kenjiro because I've never received a message from you...if anyone receives a notification or something changes, let me know.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I didn't receive any notification or anything :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Funnily enough, I've been using this feature for as long as I've been a participating member. :p It's basically a place where you can store the names of members, for one purpose or another. (I personally use it as an address book and who's who list for people on this forum I frequently communicate with; a memory aid of sorts, useful when you're as good at getting people's identities mixed up as I am. :wacko :P:) Each name on the list links you to the respective member's profile page, and can be accompanied by a short description. There's also an "Allow this member to message you?" option, which I'd assume can be used to block another member from messaging you (I've never used it; I'm not exactly sure how it works in regards to admins sending you important messages; and for all I know, I could be wrong about its function :p).

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Petrie,Aug 23 2009 on  03:17 PM
I usually can spell out who I'm replying to, so I guess I don't need that then.
It could be useful with some names, like Mirumoto_Kenjiro or kjeldo, or names with large numbers tacked to the end like Malte279 or jedi472. I always have to scan the forum for jedi's name when I PM him because I can never remember the number at the end.

Pangea, do you know how to add people who haven't sent you a message?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I looked at it and it looks like you can copy and paste a name into the entry spot under member's name, like on some other forums where I do use the buddy list there.  

At worst you can pm someone and ask them if you can add them to your buddy list.  If they pm you back saying ok you can.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Whenever I want to PM somebody, I just look for their username on the board and hit the PM button in their personal profile.  Of course if they're not a frequent poster I'll use the members list option at the top right corner of the screen to find their username.  I have never typed in a user's name in order to PM them.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Personally I prefer emails by far over PMs.

Oh not me.  GOF's PM system is very efficient and I don't like the fact that people can email me and I don't know who the heck they are! :p I hate email in general.  If I want to talk to someone online about something extensive I either invite them to MSN or exchange phone numbers.  Most people nowadays have unlimited worldwide calling on their cell phone's anyways.  It's only $14 more per month to go from 700 minutes to unlimited. :rolleyes: At least with T-mobile it is anyway.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
GOF's PM system is very efficient and I don't like the fact that people can email me and I don't know who the heck they are!
Actually that is one out of several reasons why I prefer emails. With emails you have a sender email address. Emails are also easier to archive for me. It is of course to everyone's personal preference, but I appreciate it a lot if people contact me via mail rather than PM.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Malte279,Oct 11 2009 on  01:15 PM
I appreciate it a lot if people contact me via mail rather than PM.
That's good to know. I'll do that from now on. :)

Haven't used it yet, but I have added every user I can think of to my Buddies list. you never know, it might come in handy.

Emails are nice, but the current GOF system doesn't allow you to attach things to emails. I was going to email my Dino Run story to Pangaea and Almaron as an attachment since it includes a picture, and founf I couldn't do that. Plus I don't know how to save pictures in Word as normal pictures.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I use this almost exclusively as an address book just so I know who's contacting me through PM's or simply so I don't forget those who I speak to frequently. Although personally I will use both PM's and emails as a way to communicate with other members here.