The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

More New Emoticons

Petrie. · 35 · 4956

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Took out some of the ones we never use and added some new ones that I think we can make good use of here.  Enjoy!

:add  

:argue

:bolt

:boohoo

:celebrate

:crazy

:cheers

:exactly

:goodluck

:spit

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Sorry Petrie, but they're just too big.  They make the smilies box as wide as the reply text box.  It even looks too wide on my ultra widescreen that has 1,920 horizontal pixels.  Perhaps if you moved them to the "show all" smilies area?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I mean when you go to reply.  Having such large spacing between smilies when most of them are so small just doesn't look too good and it wastes precious space.  On a 1024x768 resolution it would be really difficult to work with.  Take a look at it from my end:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/t...lbum/snappy.jpg

The spacing is uneven and the smiles box is now HUGE.  If you want to include larger smilies that's fine but having them dominate the entire reply page just doesn't look too good.  Not to mention the difficulty of using such a system for our members with smaller resolutions.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Does anyone else have a concern where the smilies currently are?  As it stands, those that are not clickable next to the text box often don't get to be used...I'd like to keep as many of our emots in the box as possible.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No offense intended, but the emonicons you newly introduced shouldn't be used as often as say the following ones:

:)  :D  :lol  :p  :wow  :smile  :yes

They're mainly for special occasions or couldn't be used in very many situations.  Well, this one could stand to stay:   :exactly But other than that I just can't see the other one's being used on a daily basis like our previous classics were.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
No, I don't have any complaints or concerns about the location of the smilies.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't have any problems or concerns right now.  I say give it some time to see how the various folks on here feel about them and how well they work.  These things often need some time to try out instead of making quick decisions.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Hehe, I like em. :)

I understand what LBTlover is saying, because the emoticons make my screen wide too when I reply, but that's not really a big issue for me personally. :)

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't have a problem with them, they look good. :celebrate

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
They make my screen really wide too. I'm with landbeforetimelover. It just seems the reply box should have more area than the smiley box.

The :boohoo one is very freaky, cause I saw this just after reading an article about Josh Bell getting snubbed at a Washington metro. What are the odds?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
The thought that we could use more emoticons has crossed my mind before, but to be honest, none of these fit what I had in mind. Many of them seem large to the point of unwieldiness, and the majority have extremely limited applications (as landbeforetimelover pointed out).

:exactly :goodluck Somehow, I'm not taken with the idea of emoticons with signs or words on them. Isn't the whole point of emoticons to express your feelings, etc. through an image rather than words? In the case of these, for instance, why not just type the word(s), and add an emoticon?
Exactly :)
Good luck :D
That's just the way I see it.

:add I just don't like this one. It seems...superfluous, and a little annoying (like a desperate call for attention).

:argue I don't see why we need this one. In what situation exactly is it supposed to be used? I thought the GoF prided itself in being an open-minded community where the discussions are friendly and non-argumentative.

:boohoo I kind of think this one's funny, but I don't understand its application.

:bolt Again, I don't understand the purpose of this emoticon. It's also overly big, in my opinion.

:crazy This one seems like it could be used in an insulting manner. Maybe I'm being unnecessarily apprehensive, but I can imagine its use leading to misunderstandings between members that this forum would probably want to avoid.

:celebrate I can understand how this one could be useful (not all celebrations are birthdays), but it's an awfully large emoticon. :cheers Same with this one.

:spit Do we really need this one when we already have :lol: and :lol ?

It would seem that most other members who have posted their opinions thus far approve of these new emoticons far more than I do. I hate being a storm cloud on a sunny day, but this is honestly what I think.

There's also the matter of the emoticons you deleted, for the reason that "we never use them". I don't mean to sound rude here, but how did you make the decision on which ones were neglected enough to validate removal?

I, for one, use the ":wacko" emoticon all the time. It's one of my favorites, and I am very disappointed that you removed it. :( :cry

Also, while I personally have never used it, I've seen plenty of other people use the ":wub" emoticon, can easily understand its application, and do not agree with its deletion, especially since there are no other emoticons which convey an equivalent meaning.

While I don't really advocate the removal of any emoticons, I don't understand why you didn't delete this one :nyah when we already have :P: and :p, both of whichóas far as I knowóhave more or less the same application and are used far more often.

If you're going to keep these new emoticons, I think you should at least bring back the old ones you deleted.

As for ideas for emoticons I think we COULD use, a "no" version of this one :yes could be useful. I have also thought of a "thinking" or "hmm..." emoticon (indicating that the person posting is thinking deeply about something or trying to make a decision). I've probably come up with more, but at the moment my immensely inconvenient memory is inhibiting me from sharing them.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
As for ideas for emoticons I think we COULD use, a "no" version of this one in-yes.gif could be useful

I've had a "no" one up before.  Misplaced it actually.  I don't think it matches the style of the "yes" one.  Maybe I could find it.

Somehow, I'm also not really taken with the idea of emoticons with signs or words on them. Isn't the whole point of emoticons to express your feelings, etc. through an image rather than words? In the case of these, for instance, why not just type the word(s), and add an emoticon?
Exactly smile.gif
Good luck biggrin.gif

That's just the way I see it.

The point with those is people say those often, and a little color is nothing bad in my opinion.  

The violin dude is imagery on "cry me a river".  Sometimes you hear people whining on about things and it implies on the "whining" of a violin.

I feel most of the newer ones will be used more often in the general discussions and sometimes AM topics when considering related articles and comments.  Give it time.

There's also the matter of the emoticons you deleted, for the reason that "we never use them". I don't mean to sound rude here, but how did you make the decision on which ones were neglected enough to validate removal?

I never see these used at all.  Indulge me...where are you seeing them used on the board?

I, for one, use the ":wacko" emoticon all the time. It's one of my favorites, and I am very disappointed that you removed it. sad.gif dino_sad.gif

Sorry.  Its back, but I still don't see you using it.

Also, while I personally have never used it, I've seen plenty of other people use the ":wub" emoticon,

Show me where.  That's been around since the board was created, and I can guarantee its the least used of all.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I just noticed there's Klingon letters or something in this emotocon's word bubbles.
 :argue

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Check the boxes now.  I've moved some of the bigger ones so they aren't immediately clickable but they are there.  How's that look sizewize on some of your screens?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I just noticed there's Klingon letters or something in this emotocon's word bubbles.

One is saying "Today is a good day to die!" and the other's replying "Revenge is a dish best served cold!"

Back on topic, I like the new layout much better. Superfluous ones demoted to second string, and the most useful of the remainders left on the main display. This one's got my approval.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Aug 10 2009 on  08:26 PM

One is saying "Today is a good day to die!" and the other's replying "Revenge is a dish best served cold!"
I guarantee you the board I saw that at has no idea it says that, or it wouldn't be on that board. ;)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Petrie,Aug 10 2009 on  08:28 PM
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Aug 10 2009 on  08:26 PM

I guarantee you the board I saw that at has no idea it says that, or it wouldn't be on that board. ;)

I was just kidding. I have no clue what they're saying.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Pretty much you guys are going to have to take the "if I don't like it, I'm not going to use it" approach on this.  Use what emots you like, a lot of the bigger new ones you'll have to click on "Show smilies in a popup window" to find.