The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

More New Emoticons

Petrie. · 35 · 4955

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Much better!  Evenly spaced smilies makes the board look so much cleaner.  I'm in favor of adding more so long as the larger one's are kept in the "Show All" smilies button. :yes

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
These new emoticons seem quite interesting and funny. The only one of them I'll probably ever use is this one:
 :bolt  Time to leave!

( :lol )

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I have used the :wub one before. Like now. hehe

Very good Adam. ;) I'm loving these emoticons. :yes

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree, this looks a ton nicer now.  I think you've reached a nice happy medium.  Nice job. :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Aug 10 2009 on  08:08 PM
I never see these used at all. Indulge me...where are you seeing them used on the board?
I admit that I can’t recall anywhere specific I’ve seen the “cool.gif” and “mellow.gif” emoticons used (but then, I’m generally bad at recalling things :p), and I have never quite understood the contexts in which they are applicable anyway. For the first, however, there is a nearly identical post icon (Cancerian Tiger seems to use that post icon a lot, and maybe the “cool.gif” emoticon as well, but I tend to get them mixed up, so I can’t say for sure :wacko), and for the second there is the dinosaur emoticon :neutral, which, I am not mistaken, conveys the same meaning. Therefore, I have fewer qualms with you removing those emoticons.

I, for one, use the ":wacko" emoticon all the time. It's one of my favorites, and I am very disappointed that you removed it. sad.gif dino_sad.gif
Sorry.  Its back, but I still don't see you using it.
Easy there. :p Try as I might to post as often as I can (I’m probably overly obsessed with doing so as it is), I only manage about three posts a day, :p not all of which the :wacko emoticon is appropriate for. But just to appease you, here are links to some of the posts in which I have used it:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...dpost&p=9121776
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...dpost&p=9122655
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...dpost&p=9122857
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...dpost&p=9123544
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...dpost&p=9126620
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...dpost&p=9126671
Yes, they all link to the same thread, but that’s where I mostly use the :wacko emoticon. I use it in PMs, too.

Anyway, thank you very much for reinstating it. :)

The :wub emoticon may be the least used of all, but people still use it. (When I said, “I've seen plenty of other people use it,” my fingers were probably typing separately from my brain; a lapse of absentmindedness that led to me including “plenty” sort of reflexively. :wacko) This is one of those emoticons that has limited applications, and that may be why it’s not used very often. I’m just saying, there are probably people out there (Rat_lady7, for instance ;)) who do use it, and would be sad to see it go. I was simply advocating for what I thought other people might think of that emoticon being deleted, even if I didn’t give a coprolite about its removal myself. *shrugs*

A “shrugging” emoticon! Now that would be a useful one!

The violin dude is imagery on "cry me a river". Sometimes you hear people whining on about things and it implies on the "whining" of a violin.
I thought it meant that the person using was finished with something, or had nothing to say or do, and so was just “fiddling” around. :rolleyes My Microbiology professor pantomimed the action of that emoticon all the time during his lectures. :lol (This is why it’s dangerous for me to use certain emoticons; if I don’t understand the appropriate context in which it can be used, I might use it in an inappropriate situation, which could lead to misunderstandings.)

Whaddaya know?! I just used this emoticon :wacko four times in one post! (Make that five. :p) Tell me now that you've never seen me use it! :p

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot; :wub DOES have an equivalent post icon (the heart-shaped one), though they look nothing alike.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
A while ago mr mad made a thread about having a crush on Ducky and the wub emoticon appeared all over the place. I remember it cause it was the only place I ever saw the wub emoticon.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Just to show you all that I'm not a TOTAL sourpuss about these new emoticons, let me share my less analytical opinions of them. (I'm also feeling better now that I have my :wacko emoticon back; I'd take that one over ALL of the new emoticons any day.)

:celebrate :cheers Of all the new emoticons, I think these (particularly the second) are my favorites. The first may take up a lot of space, but isn't extravagance a hallmark of celebrations anyway? :p As for the second, its size isn't too bad, it looks good, and I can understand and appreciate its application. :yes

:exactly This one strikes me as unnecessary, but I don't dislike it. (It's kinda funny, actually.)

:bolt Silly, but okay. I'm not sure how exactly to use it, but definitely not in the beginning of a sentence, or at the beginning of a paragraph (it would look like the world's largest and most ridiculous indent :p). It's the end of the paragraph for you, pal.

:boohoo The fiddler looks funny, but if it's not meant to be a humorous emoticon, I doubt I'll be using it.

:argue I still don't know if this forum needs an emoticon for arguments (furthermore I can't quite grasp how exactly it's meant to be used), but I'll admit that the little (not-so-)smiley faces look funny yelling at one another.

But my opinions remain unchanged on some of them. I still don't like this one... :add (Desiring inclusion in a thread is one thing, but this emoticon just makes your post look pointless, in my opinion. No offense to people who actually use it. :p)

:spit :crazy ...something about the eyes on these two seems creepy to me...

:goodluck ...and the smile on this one downright freaks me out.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I still think we need a hug emoticon... Some of the newer ones are a bit creepy compared to the ones we had before but I can live with it :)

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Oh, so many new emoticons! :wacko . They are good, there is also one you may add that it is a smilie drinking pepsi, but that's huist a suggestion :smile .
 Good work, I agree that the bigger ones should be in the "Show All" box, but I also think that you may try and see what are the most used ones (besides all the dinosaur ones) and keep those in the front section so they are most visible. Maybe that can work.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
what exactly is :spit supposed to be used for?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Aug 11 2009 on  07:07 PM
what exactly is :spit supposed to be used for?
Sort of like a "burst out laughing" moment when you just didn't expect someone to say something funny.  Yeah, I can hear the "how many laughing emots do we need?" but I think this one will find its place.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Gus, Jay, Pat and me returned only yesterderday from Norway. I don't think I can respond to all new topics right now. I like some more emoticons here and I have basic trust in the ability of our members not to use them as a substitute for written words.
I do share Pangea's misgivings about this one though: :add as it seems to be created for the very purpose of making pointless posts which are not promoted by the Gang of Five's rules.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile