The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

good and bad ideas for fanart and fanfiction

rosie · 21 · 2404

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Good Idea: write about something that you want to because you've always wanted to write about it.
Bad Idea: write abou something that you want just because you can. You must have emotion towards your subject.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's a bad idea: finishing the story in a ridiculously small time period. Sure, it would be great to see a story finished so quickly, but none of it will matter if you don't take the time to focus on the quality of it. In my case, it's taking me longer to write my fanfic than I thought it would take, but that doesn't matter as long as I get the chapters done and I get them done right.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Have to agree with Chronicler on that.
Another bad thing: Caring about chapter length. If you like how long the chapter is, then keep it the way you want to. The only bad kind of chapter length is a short chapter.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Putting something in a story just because someone else says it would be cool without thinking it over and deciding if it fits into your story.

Ending something quickly just because you decide the story has to end here, regardless.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Extremely bad: Not starting because someone says it does not fit the canon.

I experienced this with Twilight Valley and Malte. I ignored Malte and wrote the story anyways and it is coming out fairly well.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Don't care about chapter length, as long as you're descriptive enough(impressive descriptiveness can be seen in DarkHououmon's writing ;)).  Just take your time, put the emotions felt into the fanfic, and don't leave out any details for fear of keeping the story shorter.  This only leaves readers feeling as though the story is vague.  

I personally believe parodies are the lowest forms of fanfics(not intending to attack anyone personally here).  I don't find them funny whatsoever, especially in regard to LBT, but the author still has the right to present such a fanfic.  I dunno...those parodies on FF.net make me ill <_<.  Why would anyone post a parody on a FAN site?  Oh, well.  Now that I'm off my soapbox, just take time on the plot details :yes.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Personally, while I'm not always a fan of parodies, I don't think they are ncessarily a bad thing. A parody is completely different than bashing, far as I'm concerned.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Some good hints of advice. Know how the story starts, and how the story ends. Have a vague idea of how the beginning gets to the ending, and build upon that vague idea. The vague idea is pretty much the plot, and as long as you know the plot, beginning, and ending, you'll do fine. Trust me. That is how I am writing my fan-fiction.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Here's a good one I think everyone uses once in a while: Using emotion and your own personal past experiences.

And here's a bad idea: Putting large amounts of blood and dismemberment in every single chapter. It just doesn't fit...anything! (Except for DarkHououmon of course...she pulled it off wonderfully! ;) )

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Great Valley Guardian,Aug 24 2008 on  03:26 AM
And here's a bad idea: Putting large amounts of blood and dismemberment in every single chapter. It just doesn't fit...anything!
Actually, this can both be good and bad.

Good: if it is supposed to be a horror or war fan fiction. (Mine falls in the "war" part and DH's falls in the horror category.)

Bad: Doing that just because you can.

Well, actually, I kept Twilight Valley's rating PG-13 but I may raise it if enough people complain about Chapter 11.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad: Putting excessive amounts of violence in your fan fiction (unless it's justified, I.E. war or horror)

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
For fanfiction

Good: Writing a story you can clearly visualize and that can at least loosely fit some of the constraints of LBT(character pesonalities, mostly).

Bad: Writing a story that clearly is designed to abuse/put down said franchise.

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
little question here: I read a fanfic and liked it, so i asked the creator, to write another chapter or two, because i had a great idea.
my chapter is almost finished, so this might be a little bit late:
was it a good idea of mine doing that?  
is something like that generally good/bad or do i have to differentiate?

another writer i talked to considered letting original characters die in a fanfic as bad taste. i do agree.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Bad taste? How? I can't say I agree with that. Allowing them to die for no reason, yes that would be bad. But it's not always a bad idea, in my opinion. Allowing an original character to die is not something I would put on the list of "bad ideas for fanfiction". But that's just me.

About asking the creator of a fanfiction to write another chapter, well I'm not really sure what exactly to tell you. Some authors don't mind being asked to write a chapter, while others might not like it. If the author didn't seem upset with you asking, then I don't think it was a bad idea for you to ask.

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
well, i of course asked directly for the creator's permission, don't get me wrong.
surprisingly he was more than happy that i asked.

what reason could a writer have not wanting his art continued by someone else?
he can set conditions for certain thing, just like i got them.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Some people might not like the idea of their story being continued by someone else and thus would not allow it. But since the author seemed happy that you asked, I don't think you did anything wrong.

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Some people might not like the idea of their story being continued by someone else and thus would not allow it.

definitely.
but i'd really like to know the reason, if there is one. i cannot think of any.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Some people might not like the idea of their story being continued by someone else and thus would not allow it.

definitely.
but i'd really like to know the reason, if there is one.

Well, I would only let someone that I know and really trust write anything at all that would be directly related to the canon of any of my fics.

I think the reason most writers don't let anyone write chapters, or anything related to their fics is because they would not like anyone messing around with their particular story.

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
i guess, i start to understand, but in my case, i was given the condition to remain one particular pairing untouched, which kind of solved that problem.

sorry, that must sound really stupid of me, but i can't get it into my head.
anyway, thanks for the answer.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Worse than bad: Not continuing a story because one of your friends says it stupid.