The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Racing the Storm

Pterano · 1020 · 76277

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Vergil telekinetically retrieved his blade from the millipede, and dropped downward now, landing hard and wincing. "Ugh! Yeah... let's move! I have a bad feeling about this!" He started charging down the tunnel, as it was high time to get the hell out of here. Vergil slid to a stop, and turned to face Triste. "You're gonna have to move, I'll support you, but we gotta go now!"

Outside, Tony bit his bottom lip. "But even if I'm triggered while I'm away... it'd be useless..." He speculated, looking at the metal straps. "Uh well I may as well... suit up..." he said now, but turned his head rapidly to the right again, seeing dust rising in the canyon as vehicles were headed their way. "Oh son of a..." he trailed off here as a convoy hove in sight around the corner. "Dammit! We've gotta warn...!" he turned to head into the cave before he stopped dead in his tracks, seeing the others emerging now. "Shit!" he exclaimed, stamping his foot and turned around as the convoy began screeching to a halt.

The lead vehicle's door opened, and a scaly leg placed first one foot on the ground, then a second followed as the hulking monitor Varanus stood before them now, a toothy grin etched on his face as he rolled his shoulders and cracked his neck. "Well... well... well..." Soldiers belonging to Kalis's Empire quickly debarked behind him, leveling their guns at the emerging party. "Looks like I've bagged me quite the catch!"

"Varanus!" Vergil uttered, his voice deep and his eyes narrowed as he assessed the situation.

"Yes! And I've been looking forward to this for a long... long time! Now that I know who you are... if I kill you... I'll be even more powerful than Kalis himself! His empire will be mine!"

"You remember me?" Vergil asked, surprised by this. "Who am I? Did I serve with you?"

"It won't do you any good knowing that!" Varanus activated his blade. "Once I take your head... I'll have surpassed you AND Kalis in every way imaginable!"

"But sir... our orders are to capture..." One of the soldiers began, before suddenly, he was lifted off the ground and thrown violently against the side of the buggy, gurgling as his body was mangled beyond all recognition.

"Shove the orders! This is MY chance! Vergil... YOU'RE MINE!" Varanus began charging towards him, and Vergil quickly shot his eyes around.

"Take cover!" he ordered his group. There were plenty of rocks to hide behind, as well as their armored vehicle. "They plan to kill us anyway, so we may as well fight!" He shouted, activating his own sword and leaping into the air to come down on Varanus from above.

"Too slow!" Varanus shouted, whipping his hand out and tossing Vergil aside at the last minute telekinetically. Vergil cried out as he rolled along the dusty ground, coming to a stop half buried in sand. Spitting some of the gritty substance out of his mouth, he barely had time to rise and block Varanus's next blow as the big monitor began fiercely attacking him as the soldiers opened fire on the party. Varanus's powerful body was like a sledgehammer slamming into Vergil's arms as he parried and backpedaled, trying to get into a better position to attack...

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
marita and Marie dove behgind rocks as veranus' guards began firing on them." great just great. first giant millipedes, now these guys ' Marita scowled as pieces of the rock she weas hiding behind were chipped off by Veranus' crew.." and i thought we were done with stuff like this.. guess not. I'll need a good stiff drink after all this " Marie said.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Triste grunted as she rolled behind cover along with Marita and Marie, pressing herself against the rock and gripping her knife tightly. She glanced out from behind cover... just in time to see Vergil only just manage to block Veranus' attack. Shit... "Stop talking and kill them all," she snarled to Marie, vanishing as she activated her cloaking augment.

------

"Keep firing!" One of Veranus' henchmen yelled. "Flank them! Get behind their cover, they-" He grunted as something knocked into him, his body armour jerking as something pulled on it. "What the..." He gaped as a spindly lizard suddenly appeared in his face, yellow eyes narrowed in rage. "Fuck!" the man started to scream, but he was cut off by the hooked blade punching through his throat.

Triste twisted the knife, the man's windpipe crunching as it broke open even further, turning his scream into a pitiful wet gurgle. She heard a surprised yell from behind as one of the Veranus' other soldiers noticed. Vaulting over the henchman she'd just stabbed as he staggered, his body trying in vain to resist the fact that he was dying, she wrapped herself around his back and yanked out the pistol from the holster on his waist. Aiming over his shoulder, she put a bullet through the skull of one young-looking soldier then turned the barrel to the man next to him, pulling the trigger even as he opened fire. The bullets from his assault rifle slammed into Triste's human shield at the same time that hers took him in the chest.

Triste felt the impact of the shots as the man she was piggybacking was hit. He let out a final gasp and fell heavily onto his back - right on top of Triste, causing her to cry out in pain. With effort, she pushed the body off herself and sucked in a deep breath, her chest feeling as if it was collapsing in. She was interrupted when the sand around her erupted as yet another soldier standing further away opened fire on her, a few bullets tearing chunks off the corpse to her side. Hissing, she cloaked herself again. The soldier paused as his target vanished, then squeezed the trigger again as off to the side a cloud of sand was kicked up. Her hand gritted from the small rock she'd just thrown, Triste snatched up the pistol again and fired off its final bullet. It took the soldier in the side of the neck and he screamed, collapsing to his knees and clutching his wound as blood spurted between his fingers.

Staggering to her feet, Triste yanked the knife from the man's throat and looked around. More soldiers were moving in on Marita and Marie's position, but off to the right Vergil and Veranus were still hacking away at each other. Leaving the two women to deal with the soldiers themselves, she broke into a sprint, ignoring the screaming pain in her side. As she drew closer behind the huge monitor lizard she leaped, drawing back her knife and aiming to plunge it into Veranus' cervical vertebrae.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
(Egypt)

Soren and Anne had been standing guard with the dune buggy as the rest of the crew descended deep into the caves.

"Are you fucking kidding me!?" Anne exclaimed as she saw the battle raging in the distance with her comp-noculars.

Soren snatched the comp-noculars from the mare's grasp and looked in the distance. "Oh great, looks like Marita and her crew got themselves into another shitfit."

He grabbed the turret's control panel. "Anne, you drive!"

Anne got out of the rear passenger compartment and into the driver's seat. She pressed the button and listened as the motor started up with a low hum. Her ears pricked up in excitement as she disengaged the parking brake and set the vehicle in motion.

Soren looked through the viewscreen and tried to figure who was the enemy. Not an easy task given the incredible amount of gunfire and dust that was present.

---------------

(Corona)

Marion sat down on a bench as she looked at the electronic notepad containing information she had gleaned from the Corona PD. All around her were tourists and locals enjoying the spring air. Indeed, banners festooning the streetlights indicated that a street fair was going on.

The Human took a bite of her deep-fried catfish sausage as she browsed through the information. She did not need to worry about eavesdroppers as the notepad's screen had a coating designed to prevent such encounters. Unless one was wearing the specialized glasses (which also doubled as rather sleek looking sunglasses), all that was visible on the screen was a solid silver surface, like a mirror.

She sighed as she scrolled through the notes. The phone number linked with Vergil led to a disposable cell phone. On the other hand, she did have the address of someone named Axel Whent.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Got it! Marita said noticing the arrival of 5 more guards, who  set up positions near the area where the two dogs were situated.  Marita took aik with her gun and fired, catching one of the guards in the shoulder and causing him to scream out a violent oath. both Marita and Marie had to duck as the 5 guards opened fire, the bullets deflecting of the top of the rock and sending razor sharp rock chips onto the girls. it became a game  attrition, the girls returning fire in-between breaks when the guards loaded fresh ammo clips into their guns. Marie managed to fell one of the guards with a well-placed shot to the temple,, Marita got another guard in the throat. slowly the rock providing cover began to crack and  be chipped away from the rain of bullets striking it. marita  covered her head to protect it from the shards.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena crouched and slowly crawled to the left; nobody seemed to be paying attention to her and Tony thanks to the attention Vergil's entrance commanded, which gave her ample time to scout out the perfect spot.

Taking cover along the crest of the cave, Emilena focused on trying to sniper with her revolver, finally grateful for the flash dampener.

Her ears pricked when she heard the duggy coming. "Hope the others are ready to jump..." she muttered, not even sure if Tony had remained in earshot.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
((Sorry guys; I have a lot of tours right now so I don't have much time to post.))

As Triste went to plunge her blade into Varanus's back, the big monitor whirled around, kicking Vergil's chest and staggering him backward while he brought his blade up and slashed towards her, striking her knife and throwing her off to the side. "What is this? Your little friends have to help you finish me off? Can't do it yourself?" Varanus mocked as Vergil charged back in, their blades connecting once more. "I'm far too skilled a combatant for EITHER of you! Neither of you stand a chance because you're both worthless and weak! Bugs that I'll squash under my heel!"

Tony meanwhile was lying flat on his stomach. Because of the others' insistence, he had no weapon, and was completely defenseless, so all he could do was hide behind the buggy's numerous wheels and hope no one came around and executed him from behind with some shots to the back of his skull. He had extremely limited vision from his position, but tried to look around whenever he could to preserve his own life.

Vergil hacked once, twice, but was met by Varanus's powerful blade every time. "You're really pushing me, you know that?" Varanus asked, slamming another blow against Vergil's blade that rattled his body to its core.

"Yeah well... you're someone I won't be sorry to see gone!" Vergil declared. "I urge you to stop this! I have no quarrel with you after all!"

"On the contrary... you represent everything in our way... and a personal ambition of mine!" Vergil tried to see where Triste was... if she could get in another attack... he might have a chance... Varanus tended to pivot his left foot before his kick... Vergil would be ready next time... and go for the vital spot he knew there'd be no recovery from...

"Heh... well then... you're just gonna have to accept the fact that you failed to kill me the first time... and you'll fail again!" Vergil smirked, hoping to rile Varanus up, as he seemed to be a very emotional fighter.

"Ha! Big talk for such a small lizard! We'll see who gets the better of who! I know I'm superior... I KNOW I AM!" he yelled, launching into another flurry of heavy-handed blows that Vergil managed to turn aside every time, his confidence growing as the battle continued...

(runner up)
(runner up)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Triste grunted as she managed to avoid landing flat on her face, twisting to come down awkwardly on her feet. Her knife arm was throbbing from the impact of where Veranus had blocked her attack. Son of a bitch... Gritting her teeth, she steeled herself for another run at him, but movement in the corner of her eye drew her attention - the buggy! Soren and Anne must be making a run for them... if they could just last until they arrived...

Looking back to the fight, she could see that it seemed Vergil was slowly getting the better of the larger lizard - and Veranus wasn't taking it well. If she could just help Vergil hold him off until Soren arrived, the extra firepower of the vehicle's turret could make all the difference. Triste felt the buzzing in her head subside, letting her know her augment had recharged. Cloaking, she moved to flank Veranus again, keeping her eyes on his attacks. Triste waited until he started to step forward to attack Vergil again... then she struck. Darting forwards, she sliced through the flesh of the back of his leg in an offhand sweep then leaped back again, dodging to avoid his blade.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Just for the hell of it, Emilena also attemtped to snipe Veranus. She doubted she'd succeed, but perhaps it would give Triste and Vergil an opening. Gotta love enemy commanders that draw attention to themselves in battle...

She glanced at the approaching buggy, willing it to arrive as soon as possible so they could all escape.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
a doctor entered the room ' where Rose Axel and Rio were . " Alright you folks we have your friend stabilized ' You may visit her for a half hour or so, please keep your voices down so she is not too distressed. Follow me please" He motioned to them to follow him.

Marita and Marie continued trading gunfire with the guards, the guards  bullets slowly chipping away at the rocks which provided protection for the girls.. finally marita killed one of the guard with a shot to the head.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Our ride's here! Let's book it!" Emilena vaulted into the buggy as it reached the combat site. She glanced at Vergil and Veranus' melee. "Forget about him, we got what we came for! Come on!"

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Triste swore, glancing at the buggy that had pulled up a short distance away and backing up towards it. "She's right! Vergil, let's go! We need to get out of here!" Even with the few deep wounds she'd managed to land on Veranus, the huge lizard still wasn't going down. If reinforcements were coming, which she had to assume they were, they'd be at a serious disadvantage.

She jumped on the side and banged her fist on the window. "Soren! Fire on..." She gritted her teeth. If he used the turret to open fire on Veranus, the chance of hitting Vergil was too high. But we can stop them from following us. "Take out their vehicles, make sure they can't come after us!"

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Marita and marie rushed to the buggy and jumped onto it clinging onto the side. they had managed to kill the 5 guards who had fire on them. both were exhausted and nearly out of ammo. ' give Vergil as much help as yopu can Soren" marita said " if you havve to.. shoot Veranus
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"YOU forget about him!" Vergil snapped back at Emilena. "You honestly think he's just gonna let me walk away?" The combat was too close and far too heavy for Vergil to escape, as Varanus was between him and the buggy... then Triste struck, and Varanus screamed out in pain and anger as he briefly turned his attention to her, swiping and missing but landing a scalding blow on her tail.

Vergil struck, but Varanus blocked, though Vergil twisted his blade upward, nearly managing to land a blow on Varanus's neck. "Dammit!" He could see everyone falling back, but he wasn't capable of doing so at the moment... he was stuck.

"Ha! I'll kill you in one minute! Time it! You're already growing weaker! I can sense it!" Varanus appeared to be using pure adrenaline and his kinetic abilities to supplement his strength, despite his injuries, but Vergil by now had analyzed the way he had moved before striking, and Vergil decided on one last desperate act. He faked downward, Varanus blocking the blow. Gauging his time, Vergil did it again, once again getting blocked. But next time...

"It's OVER! I AM...!" Varanus went to swing to cut Vergil in half when the gecko seemed to make a blunder and leave himself open, but the small gecko was faster, and as Varanus lifted his blade, Vergil used his own to lop off the monitor's head, severing it at the neck and leaving a clean cut with an orange ring around it to indicate the burn.

"Oh sorry to CUT you off!" Vergil declared, grinning as the big lizard's body remained upright for a moment before falling off to the side. He'd purposely opened himself up to an attack to let Varanus think he had an advantage... but when the monitor moved to strike, Vergil struck back faster... and it was over. Glancing at the other soldiers were who still alive, he threw his blade, impaling one through the head before retrieving it with his telekinesis and charging towards the buggy. "All right! We're out of here!" he declared, but froze in his tracks as a massive force began acting on his body. "Agh!" he cried, frozen in place as he was suddenly lifted off the ground and began hovering in place. "What the hell?"

He could see the buggy was starting to levitate as well, and his gaze shot upward, to see... a massive aerial battleship blocking out the sky overhead. They were caught in some sort of force field... and there was literally nothing Vergil could do... his limbs were frozen where they had been moments before, and his legs were equally stiff, his mouth barely able to move as they all began to be pulled towards the Leviathan, which was the name of the ship on its side.

"Shit!" Tony called, equally as powerless as he was pulled through the sky towards the ship. He hadn't yet entered the buggy, so was exposed out in the open. As they drew closer to the ship, a large bay opened up to welcome them in, like a sinister mouth as on the bridge of the ship, Admiral Saul Carrack smirked. Varanus had stupidly exceeded his orders... but no harm done... Vergil was his now... and soon... his plans would be his as well. He sent a flash transmission to Kalis's flagship, informing him he had Vergil in his possession, knowing his master would be pleased to finally confront the small white gecko with the orange eyes.

The buggy, Vergil, Tony, and anyone else not in the buggy were deposited in the bay, and finally released, though the buggy was kept in the containment field, rendering its turret inoperable for the time being. Vergil assessed the situation, but was met by what looked like an entire company of soldiers, rifles all leveled at the group. There were too many to try anything... if he resisted... chances were one of them would get shot... so the gecko did the only practical thing he could think of. He raised his arms out to his side, and made no sudden moves as he lowered his head, accepting the fact they were beaten... for now.

"Oh shit..." Tony gulped, seeing a least a hundred rifles leveled in his direction. He stumbled backward, getting used to using his legs again, and meekly put his arms up as well, knowing there was no fighting their way out of this one...

A probe suddenly detached from the ceiling, and impacted with the buggy, burrowing into its side. "You have precisely 15 seconds to exit that vehicle with your hands in the air." came a voice over some speakers. "Your alternative is extermination... by cyanide gas..."

(runner up)
(runner up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
marita and Marie reacted in horror as they were pulled into the huge ship, and upon hearing the voice give them the order, marita tossed her gun aside' Cant do anything against that many guns marie" marita said as she got off the vehicle her arrms raised. marie followed her, her eyes scanning the  gathered forces- the group was outnumbered 10-1, at least. still they had not gotten all of them.. yet..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Just before the vehicle had been lifted aboard the ship, Soren's (not)-so skillful use of the dune buggy's turret had reduced most of the enemy vehicles to smoldering wrecks.

Upon feeling the vehicle shake and float both he and Anne opened the doors and prepared to jump...only to change their minds when they realized that they were already a few hundred feet off the ground.

The vehicle landed with a thump.

"All right, let's--oh fuck no." Soren looked out the window and saw hundreds of soldiers beyond a shimmering blue wall. He immediately recognized that shimmering wall as a containment field (he had used miniature versions of them when working with augments that contained potentially defective batteries to prevent a battery explosion from harming him or causing damage).

Anne's ears rapidly swiveled back and forth as she wrung her hands. "Shit! Shit! Shit!"

"We need to do something that--"

The sound from the loudspeaker cut the Human off. He looked at his shotgun and pondered if shooting himself would be a better fate that what Varanus had in store for him. But he was aware that the rest of the team was on board and they'd be able to do something.

With a sigh, he opened the dune buggy's door and stepped out with his hands in the air. Anne followed, though her bared teeth and pinned ears indicated her displeasure.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Don't have to tell me twice." Emilena was the last person to exit the vehicle, casually tossing her scoped pistol to the nearest guard. "Couldn't hit a damn thing with this anyway."

She did a quick headcount as she raised her hands in the air. At least it doesn't appear they got Axel and his team...for now...

----------------------------

"Murr..." Flora's tongue lolled out as the doctor applied anesthesia. "Mmm...more of that please. Could we...like..triple the dosage? I want to be swimming..."

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Shit... shit, shit, shit!" Triste snarled under her breath as she felt the buggy jolt against the floor of the ship's bay. Her eyes scanned the area for any way they could escape, something that could be used against the enemy - but there was nothing. There were too many soldiers, too many weapons trained on them. Even if she cloaked, she'd only be able to take out a few before the rest gunned her down.

She forced herself to calm down. If Kalis' men wanted to kill them, they'd be dead already. They were going to keep them alive for a while. Vergil at least... he's the most important one. She just had to hope that whatever was going to happen to them, at least some of them would have the opportunity to do something. Triste sighed and stepped down from the buggy, putting her hands behind her head. If there was a way we could contact the others...

--------------------------

"Alright, thanks." Axel nodded at the doctor, then turned to the other two. "Let's go-" He blinked as he realised Rio had already dashed out of the room. "Ah..."

As the doctor opened the door to Flora's room, Rio barged past him, hurrying over to her bed. "You okay? How're you feeling?" He squinted at what was being administered to her. Whatever it was, it seemed to be having an effect. "Can I have some? I twisted my ankle..."

Axel stepped through the doorway, smiling apologetically at the doctor Rio had pushed aside as the man rightened himself then left, muttering under his breath. As he walked out of the room, Axel looked at Rose and gestured towards Flora. "Well, she... doesn't look like she's having a bad time, at least." He lowered his voice. "The others are taking a while to get back to us... Think they got lost or something?"

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i have no idea" rose said as she took a seat. a monitor sat next to the bed, registered floras condition, an iv dripping pain medication into her in one arm, while the other arm was transfusing blood to replace the blood she lost from being shot and treated for her wounds.' for now we just have to make sure flora is ok.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As the party exited, the containment field dropped, and the soldiers began to move in to restrain them. Vergil narrowed his eyes, and directed his gaze to Anne. As they brought his arms down, he began sending her a telepathic message. Anne... I've been on this ship before... back when I served under Rex... it was his flagship for a time... the locks are electronic based in the cells... if you can... you might be able to override them somehow. Help free the party and get the rest of us... they're going to split us up soon... I can feel it...

The captain of the company strode forward as binders were put on their wrists, and pointed at Vergil. "You..." He looked around, then smirked. "And you." he pointed at Triste. "You're gonna have a personal interview with Admiral Carrack. The rest... take them to the holding cells. If we can't get what we want out of these two... we'll work on the others later."

Vergil gave Anne one last look, then shifted his gaze to Triste. Don't worry...we're going to get out of this... I just hope they don't use you to... get to me... he sent to her, looking straight ahead now. Vergil and Triste were separated from the main group. About 20 soldiers followed them, so there was no hope of Vergil trying anything drastic... it would only take one shot after all to end either of their lives...

The other party members were led to the cell area, which were basically mini containment fields. As Vergil told Anne, the locks were electronic based. Not overly sophisticated, but obviously not easily accessible from inside the cells either.

Vergil and Triste were led into a room with two test tubes like... things, similar to what Vergil had been kept in before when he'd woken up. Shoved inside, the binders were removed, and they were sealed in their own tubes. The soldiers soon departed, and Vergil looked over at her. "So... here we are. I don't think this is going to be a friendly chat the admiral wants to have with us. I remember him... former hero of the Federation who defected to Rex's cause and became a mass murderer. Not the kind of guy I'd want conducting these things. I could try and crack the glass but... something tells me we wouldn't get very far just yet... they can seal this room with blast doors I notice... and I don't want to try anything until I know the others are safe... we bust out... we risk their lives. I instructed Anne on... well I'd better not say, just in case they're listening in." Vergil said now, looking around him. "We'll just have to stay put... and hope they can get to us sooner rather than later..." he said softly.

(runner up)
(runner up)