The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Metroid: Other M

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This game is only one day away and I can't wait to get it.

From the reviews, it seems that Team Ninja has indeed risked a lot.  There's several elements that have NEVER been introduced into this franchise before.  Each one of them could be a make or break for this game alone.

Now, before anyone goes crazy on the idea of giving Samus a voice, let me just say that it's not a bad voice by any means.  Far from it, really.  I heard it for myself in the following review and I must say that it is a good voice.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-m...id-other/703717

Whether or not it works for her, I'll have to wait until I play it to judge it.

I understand that a voice is a big risk to take with a nearly silent character. (Up to this point, closest we ever got was in The Prime Trilogy with that scream when you died.) However, if you pick just the right one, the bashing you get in the end, won't be so bad. :P:

Gameplay-wise, this looks pretty good.  A 2D-3D hybrid can be a tricky and risky thing, but according to reviewers, they make it work.  The biggest gripe is that it's Wiimote Only.  As such, when moving to the First Person Perspective, you can't move at all.  This makes gives you more accuracy at the cost of making you vulnerable to attacks.  So use it with caution.

Not to mention that the new Finishing Move just looks awesome in this one.  Samus is absolutely deadly with it.  Just like all finishing moves should be.  Even though it's a new thing for the franchise, it's looking like a great new thing for it.

Finally, if anyone's wondering exactly when after Super Metroid this takes place, it's immediately after it.  The story opens at the final epic battle with Mother Brain.  This is the official sequel that we've all been waiting for.

Best of luck  to Team Ninja on this.  This game is one big gamble that will hopefully pay off. :)

As for me, I'll be getting it tomorrow.

See ya later! :)

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
This game has been getting quite good reviews all around, with criticisms gearing towards the story as well as the awkwardness of the first person view. Not surprisingly, XPlay is one of the few companies to give it a bad review, while others such as IGN and Gametrailers praise it as a solid game with some flaws. I say not surprisingly because this isn't the first time a review done by XPlay has been questioned in regards to other major gaming reviews.

I'm personally really excited for this game. Ninja Gaiden is one of my favorite games, so this is bound to be really good as well.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I think this looks to be awesome. I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time. One that takes me back to the good ol' days of Super Metroid, yet innovates, and lets us in on Samus's past (and finally give Jennifer Hale a speaking role in these games. A seasoned voice actress and all she ever gets to do as Samus is scream and grunt. About frikkin time they put words to her).
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The terrible camera kinda killed super metroid for me, but this looks like it's gonna satisfy the fun factor I wanted from it.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Campion1,Aug 30 2010 on  08:30 PM
The terrible camera kinda killed super metroid for me, but this looks like it's gonna satisfy the fun factor I wanted from it.
What terrible camera? It was a sidescroller.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Campion1,Aug 30 2010 on  07:30 PM
My thoughts exactly DH. If you criticise the "camera" (if you can even really call it that back in those days) of Super Metroid, then you are criticising pretty much every single game that ever existed up until the Playstation/N64 era when 3D space was in proper use. Sidescrollers like Mario, Sonic, Metroid (and the rest) don't utlise what we define in games nowadays as a "camera". It was just a flat plane you run left to right on. It's only objective was to keep the character centered (apart from the stages where the screen chases you and pressures you not to fall behind).

Anyway, that aside, Metroid Other M comes to us on Friday. I'm gonna be first in line for this for sure. I didn't really get into the Metroid series until I played the Prime Trilogy. I loved those. I then got Super Metroid on Wii's VC (still haven't finished it  :p). I've been following the reviews closely and it seems the vast majority are impressed with it. Gamespot landed it an 8.5/10. Everyone has pointed out the same issues. Does Samus with a voice work? (The simple fact that they've given the role to Jennifer Hale should answer that in a single positive word but I suppose it's a matter of opinion). The FPS mode has been given a lashing about the inability to move but hey, it worked for Resident Evil across that series with little more than a few frustrating moans. Apparently the lock-on system can be a bit tempramental, sometimes locking on to the wrong enemy and throwing your focus off as you blast something on the sidelines spectating rather that the monster launching itself at you with its maw open wide. The other grind I heard was that it's a bit unevenly paced. The cutscenes have classic Metal Gear Solid-itis. I.e. far too long. I for one enjoy most cutscenes especially when something exciting happens. That being said, they have done the one big no-no I don't agree with. They're unskippable. These can get annoying especially if they're just before a boss fight and you're on your fifth try. You really don't wanna be seeing the same FMV again everytime you get your face smacked in.

As expected from Team Ninja, combat is slick, tight and impressive (as anyone who's played Ninja Gaiden will know). The finishers look great showing off just how agile and deadly Samus can be. And the numerous boss battle are supposed to be hugely engaging. Nothing's been said much for the difficulty curve which I'm surprised about. Both Metroid and Team Ninja's games have a notoriety for being soddish hard and sometimes right from the get-go. I wonder if the curve has calmed a bit so not to put too many players off.

Anyway, I definite purchase from me on Friday. Another great excuse for not doing the work I've been set from uni :lol

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I got Metroid: Other M today (or yesterday i should be saying) and have been having a blast playing it. I don't mind the voice acting for Samus at all, and i think it works well with the story so far. Speaking of story, i've been excited for the story of this game since the reveal trailer. Assuming this is the story that Metroid Fusion is referencing with Samus' old commanding officer, Adam Malkovich(don't want to give any spoilers for those who haven't played Metroid Fusion).
The finishing moves are amazingly satisfying, more staisfying than Link's downstab in Twilight Princess could ever be. Theres a quick evade move as well, tap a direction just before you get hit to quickly dodge out of the way. If you start to charge your beam while evading, it will instantly charge up, giving you a chance to counter-attack.
Also, missiles can only be fired in first person view, when locked on to a target, though in a way i kinda like that as you have to put yourself at risk of getting hit for the extra firepower.

then got Super Metroid on Wii's VC (still haven't finished it ).
You should beat Super Metroid before you play this game. Seriously, big spoilers for the ending of Super Metroid at the beginning of this game.

The cutscenes have classic Metal Gear Solid-itis. I.e. far too long. I for one enjoy most cutscenes especially when something exciting happens. That being said, they have done the one big no-no I don't agree with. They're unskippable. These can get annoying especially if they're just before a boss fight and you're on your fifth try. You really don't wanna be seeing the same FMV again everytime you get your face smacked in.
So far the cutscenes haven't been that bad, you don't have to wait 30min before you can start actually playing  :lol . Also if you die on a boss it starts you right as the fight begins, so no repeated cutscene watching  :DD .

Nothing's been said much for the difficulty curve which I'm surprised about. Both Metroid and Team Ninja's games have a notoriety for being soddish hard and sometimes right from the get-go. I wonder if the curve has calmed a bit so not to put too many players off.
I'll tell you this, the curve in my opinion seems even higher. So far i've died around 4 times and im 4 hours in. To put it in perspective, first time playing MP2 and 3 i only died once each game (veteran on MP3). I find this to be the hardest Metroid game in a while, which i think is good.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Just to defend myself:
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Aug 30 2010 on  07:39 PM
Quote from: Campion1,Aug 30 2010 on  08:30 PM
What terrible camera? It was a sidescroller.
Yeah, and so was the first and second, and you could see enemies that were a good distance away from Samus. What I guess I meant to say, is that screen was not big enough, and you always ran at the edge of it. I always ended up running into enemies. I don't care about "claustrophobic" feeling it may have been trying to give, because it broke the gameplay for me. Bosses were way more harder because of how small the rooms were, and I couldn't jump out of the way of enemies. It wasn't a BAD game to me, I guess I just suck at the game, man.
Quote from: Littlefoot1616 on  
My thoughts exactly DH. If you criticize the "camera" (if you can even really call it that back in those days) of Super Metroid, then you are criticizing pretty much every single game that ever existed up until the Playstation/N64 era when 3D space was in proper use. Sidescrollers like Mario, Sonic, Metroid (and the rest) don't utlise what we define in games nowadays as a "camera". It was just a flat plane you run left to right on. It's only objective was to keep the character centered (apart from the stages where the screen chases you and pressures you not to fall behind).
Some things:

Not every single game was a side scroller before the "fifth generation"

3D (Both the illusion of it and the actual implementation) was already in use for a few years in gaming before those systems came out

Those games you mentioned don't have you running on flat planes. (Except mario1)

Uh, yes, I knew about those games, and many more. Mostly because I grew up on them, but also other games no one ever heard about.
Quote from: Littlefoot1616 on  
The cutscenes have classic Metal Gear Solid-itis. I.e. far too long. I for one enjoy most cutscenes especially when something exciting happens.
Well I, for one, enjoy cut scenes that actually intrigue the viewer. Metal gear solid was not always about gameplay. Either that, or it was, if you skipped them.
That being said, they have done the one big no-no I don't agree with. They're unskippable.
But, MGS's cutscenes were. In fact, every single game in the series let you skip them. Nintendo doesn't really do that. (No ragging on them, though)

and to contribute to the topic, Nintendo's latest trailer for this game was the best I've seen.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Actually, of the sidescrolling games, Metroid 2 actually had the least amount of visibility available to the player. Here are screenshots from Metroid 1, 2, 3, and 4 to show my point.

With the exception of 2 (the only gray one), the games offer a decent amount of visibility. Metroid 2, on the other hand, has the most "claustrophobic" feel because of how large Samus is compared to the screen.

And running at the edge of the screen in Super Metroid? Sorry but I don't believe that is true. I've played Super Metroid and the only time I'd be near the edge of the screen is either when I'm going through a door or when I'm using the speed dash. Other than that I'm usually in the middle of the screen. I can believe that statement for Metroid 2 because, as I said, it has the least amount of visibility available to the player because of Samus being larger in comparison to her surroundings than in the other games.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm just going to leave it at the statement that I suck at metroid 3  :p

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
One thing that has bothered me about the game so far is that you don't actually obtain new items. Samus starts with all of them at the beginning of the game but only activates them when Adam authorizes it. While it does make sense that samus would retain all of her abilities from Super Metroid it removes the satisfaction of finding them by yourself. At least you don't lose all of them at the beginning like in MP 1 & 2 though  :lol.

There's also another slight problem I had at a certain point but I can't say since it has some spoilers.

Otherwise the game is still really fun and I just hit a major advance in the plot which is awesome and ties some lose ends, can't wait to see what happens at the end!

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Canonically, her limiting her abilities makes sense since she's working with the Federation on this one, and, as such, probably would want to avoid undue friction between the groups.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
and thats the same reason given in the game, i just prefer to physically grab a power up, thats all. It feels more like you've earned it.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
3D (Both the illusion of it and the actual implementation) was already in use for a few years in gaming before those systems came out
Would you care to give some examples? And please don't say Doom "3D" or Wolfenstein 3D or Duke Nukem 3D coz they are not 3D. There were a series of flat planes giving the illusion of moving through 3D space. It still didn't utlise what we would call a camera by today's standard. It would make for an awesome discussion to see what early definitions of "3D in games" would be pre-Playstation era.

Well I, for one, enjoy cut scenes that actually intrigue the viewer. Metal gear solid was not always about gameplay. Either that, or it was, if you skipped them.
Oh don't get me wrong. I sat through every single MGS cutscene at least once. The cinematics especially in Twin Snakes were awesome (special mention to fights with Grey Fox). MGS4 was the biggest culprit of what I meant by MGS-itis but I still watched them all. Including the 1hr+ ending one. :lol MGS is one of my fav game series-es

But, MGS's cutscenes were. In fact, every single game in the series let you skip them. Nintendo doesn't really do that. (No ragging on them, though)
Think you missed the flow of conversation here. :DD I was, at this point, referring to Metroid: Other M. I know full well that MGS's cutscenes are skippable. Good clause too in some instances. :p

Anywho, Metroid: Other M for me tomorrow! Woohoo!  :smile

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
sup littlefootsixteen-one-six
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Sep 2 2010 on  12:47 PM
Would you care to give some examples? And please don't say Doom "3D" or Wolfenstein 3D or Duke Nukem 3D coz they are not 3D. There were a series of flat planes giving the illusion of moving through 3D space. It still didn't utlise what we would call a camera by today's standard. It would make for an awesome discussion to see what early definitions of "3D in games" would be pre-Playstation era.
Some games: Star fox, Virtua Racing, alone in the dark, Magic carpet, and about three other games. Yes, I do know about doom's engine.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I got the game and loved to death. I like how Samus's canon personality is nothing like how fans have made her out to be for years. I'm also loving the fan backlash it's getting from those who can't accept it.

Anyway, the gameplay is excellent, the story is decent, Samus's official personality is interesting, and it was intriguing to see Adam Malkovich in person. All in all, a solid B+.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Sep 3 2010 on  08:12 PM
I like how Samus's canon personality is nothing like how fans have made her out to be for years.
How did the fans  speculate she'd be like? I don't tend to go by fan speculation of a character; I have my own speculation of how she is. It might be inaccurate, but oh well. I still look forward to playing the game. Just rented it today.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
They all think she's the standard action girl with absolutely no emotional weaknesses. In the game, she's portrayed as a heavily traumatised individual (you know, someone who has been orphaned by the space pirates twice) who still is grappling with her own issues while trying to get her job done. She also displays horror at Ridley still being alive.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wonder why people would be upset over that. It makes sense. I mean she lost her family when she was just a little girl, lost everything she knew. This isn't something that someone is going to get over very easily and would stick with them for the rest of their lives.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
The way I see it, people are treating Samus way too much like Link from Zelda. When you think about it, Link is such a beloved hero, and yet he does not speak one word in ANY game he is featured in (made by Nintendo). The same goes for Samus. Minus the grunts and screams in the Prime series, Samus has not as much as uttered one word in the franchise.

I think people are so attatched to heroes who do not speak regularly because they are afraid that a completely awesome character could be ruined by the voice actor. You see what happened to Link when he actually started speaking in his cartoon show and the CDS game or whatever it was. Nobody knew Link to be an obnoxious, spoiled person. They knew him as a determined, trustworthy ally. The same can be said about Samus. Everybody knows her as a hardcore bounty hunter, but now because she speaks everybody is "losing" the hardcore character they've come to know and love.

In my opinion, people need to grow up about the voice actor and just play the game for what it is, a really fun adventure. If they don't like the voice, mute the T.V. She really isn't bad, she's quite good.