The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanart Prompt Challenge Discussion

Ducky123 · 455 · 56978

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just a reminder: Last day to enter!

(and I made it in time :o )

We still haven't come to a conclusion concerning how to lay out our future prompts. Should we have our own prompts, follow the prompts of the fanfic prompt challenge and/or draw fanart for one of the entries there or anything inbetween? Having more than one option certainly isn't bad to increase participation :smile

Also, I still need to talk to rhombus about this but maybe we could use these award banners here too?

Would like to hear your opinions :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think some of the fanfiction prompts would work but others seem a little too specific or hard to translate into a drawing. Here's the fanfiction prompt schedule:

--------------------------------------
January 2018 (January 1 – February 15)
Incorporate the following into your story: ”He (or she) had once imagined becoming the leader of the herd. But not like this… not like this.”

February 2018 (February 1 – March 15)
Write a story about "undying love." What exactly this means is up to you.

March 2018 (March 1 – April 15)
Write a myth or legend set in the Land Before Time universe

April 2018 (April 1 – May 15)
Nothing to see here, folks. Move on! :DD

May 2018 (May 1 – June 15)
Incorporate the following phrase into your story: “when the bright circle rose the next day, it rose over a very different Great Valley.”

June 2018 (June 1 – July 15)
Everyone writes a prompt of their own choosing, then the prompts are shuffled and redistributed back to the writers. The writers must then do a story based on their new prompt!

July 2018 (July 1 – August 15)
Your theme for this month: there comes a time in everyone's life where a choice must be made, one which may irreversibly alter the path ahead.

August 2018 (August 1 – September 15)
Goodbyes are never easy. Write a story about a parting.
-------------------------------------

Prompts like January, May, and July seem like they would be really hard to do. February seems reasonable and March and August could maybe be done but will probably be harder. The June idea could still work as well. Overall I would think keeping the prompt ideas for drawing to be a bit more on the simpler side of things

I do like the idea of drawing fanart from a fanfiction response (though it would be best if we drew the previous fanfiction prompt responses then we wouldn't have to wait). It might be cool to always have this option as a substitute if there is ever a fanfiction that you would want to do fanart of.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:45:31 PM by Flathead770 »

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, having responses to previous fanfiction prompt entries as a substitute is what I would advocate for as well. And I also agree that the prompts shouldn't be too specific. I mean, a prompt like "Littlefoot" might be a bit too generic but something like "draw Littlefoot as he becomes leader of a big herd" would be too specific.

Either way, it looks like we're the only two who submitted a drawing so there will be a tie and no winner :P

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Whoops! Sorry I've been a bit quiet on this front. Yeah, I was thinking that the "draw fanart of one of the fanfic prompt responses" could just be a constant alternate option, and I don't think it should be limited to the previous month, as sometimes there's only one or two responses. Fanart for any response would be fine, I think.

As for the prompt list, I could try to write up a beta version tomorrow, if you'd like? Then I can post it here for feedback.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sure, let's do some brainstorming over on discord whenever we bump into each other :smile

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
what about drawing of our current roleplay? At next prompt? :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:40:23 AM by Sneak »

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sneak on Jan 6 2018, 07:59:10 AM
what about drawing of our current roleplay? At next prompt? :D
Ooooh, I like that idea! We might have to include that with fanart from the fanfic prompt entries as a permanent side option :D

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ok! After much ado, Ducky and I have finally decided on the prompt list for the Fanart challenge! The prompts will change bi-monthly, and are as follows:

Jan/Feb - Draw a scene from a future LBT movie.

March/April- How do you imagine the great valley celebrating the end of the cold time?

May/June- Draw an OC.

July/Aug- Daily life/Survival.

Sept/Oct - Draw your least favorite character.

Nov/Dec - Draw something related to the Time of Great Giving.

*NEW* There will also be a constant side-choice that you can choose instead of the bi-monthly prompts. You can draw a scene of your choice from any previous entry to the Fanfiction prompt challenge, or from the ongoing "LBT Roleplay in the style of the original movie" RP, found in the Land Before Time RPG section.

Which means we're now into the Jan/Feb prompt- draw a scene from a future LBT movie! Basically anything you want the gang to go through is fair game. They can be older if you want, and you can draw as many or few characters as you want in the scene. Have fun!

Let me know if anyone has any questions/concerns about the list!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:29:11 PM by DarkWolf91 »

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmmm those sure are some interesting prompts and seem like they'll require a good amount of creativity! I...might have a crazy idea for the first prompt. I guess we'll find out if i can pull it off or not.

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
"Undying Love?" Very interesting. I did write a Ducky x Petrie story called "Secret Love," but I can't count that because I wrote it last summer. However, after reading through the epilogue again, I do have a good idea ...
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So I guess we're at the 2 week mark for the first 2018 prompt deadline. Has any one else started or planning on participating? I've slowly but surely have been making progress on mine. I'm hoping to have it pretty much finished over this coming weekend (it's a long weekend for me).

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I do plan to participate but I have been struggling with my art in some ways in recent weeks. Might end up being a smaller entry but I'll definitely give it a try again :)

But yeah, I would love to see some competition :(

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just a reminder, there's two days left to submit your entry if you have one in planning stage. Is anyone besides Flathead even working on something?

As for me, exams are torturing me this week so I'm not sure I can make something up on the spot... haven't really had any ideas but I'll figure something out and if it's just a sketch!

EDIT: And what do you know... here you go  :sducky  :sducky  :sducky  :sducky  :sducky
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:37:58 PM by Ducky123 »

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, the first round of 2018 is over with two participating artworks again. Sadly one too few to enable voting but maybe next time we'll make it? Don't hesitate to join, quality is not what we're looking for here (although of course, you should give it your very best :P)but creativity and new ideas! I think my entry is justice to the truth of this statement :angel

Anyway, the next prompt is:

How do you imagine the great valley celebrating the end of the cold time?

Looking forward to see what you can come up with, yep yep yep :)

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry I missed participating this time, it's been a bumpy start to the semester for me  :cry
I'll be sure to get something in for the next prompt! :TreeStar

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
All good DarkWolf! It seems we're always fated to get only 2 submissions in per prompt :lol

I second Ducky as well and openly encourage anyone to join in, even if it's stick figures. Heck, if you only want to draw shipping between Littlefoot & Ali but the prompt is to draw an OC character then draw the OC character being a third wheel. :p

As for the next prompt, I might already have an idea for it. This time I think I'm going to relax a little on 'cramming lots of characters in' front.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Are you still working on your entry Ducky? I'm all in favor of extending the deadline if you are. It would be great to break our 2 submission streak :smile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No, I gave up in the sketching stage. I'll do things at the weekend, this week is kinda stressful and doing stuff from my phone is a pain :P

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
oops I forgot to make the official announcement :P

So, we had two entries (as always, I'm to blame this time :P) so there won't be any voting. However, both entries met the prompt splendidly, good work guys! :DD

Anyone planning on participating in the next one? Honestly, I'm not sure myself since my artistic motivation is a little non-existent atm :P But we'll see...

New Prompt: May/June- Draw an OC.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:57:10 AM by Ducky123 »

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll be participating in one way or another. I still don't know if what I'm working on now will be my submission but I can use it if I have to (which will more then likely happen anyways :p )