The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Landbeforetimelover Sells His Server

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well I've come to terms with the fact that I just don't have time anymore to maintain a public server.  Because of this, I'm selling the server I initially purchased to host a Land Before Time file sharing website (among other things).  Some of you might already know this, but I've been planning this project for a while.  I didn't share it publicly because I didn't want to get everyone's hopes up.  

The server is for sale on Craigslist here:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/sys/3259536628.html

Pic:

It's a pretty amazing server.  Cost $2,600 just 6 months ago.  I don't know if anyone would be interested in purchasing it here, but I'm not interested in selling it to someone that's not local (nothing personal.  I just don't want to have to ship the thing. :p ).  

As for the LBT file sharing website, I have some other plans for thelandbeforetime.org to maybe enhance its file sharing and hosting capabilities.  If so, it may eventually be able to replace this server (though I will have some high monthly hosting costs).  I'll have to comply with ALL requests from Universal Studios regarding take-downs of copyrighted materials though.  I don't know.  LBT is unfortunately a dying series and I don't know if there are enough of us out there to keep it alive.  I hope so, but sometimes I have my doubts.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good luck with selling it! Hope you find someone in your area who's interested :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Are you sure you don't want to ship it to someone out of state?  I'd love to take it off your hands. :D

Still, best of luck my friend. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
No offense Pokeplayer, but unless you've got a couple of IT degrees up your sleeve, I doubt you'd be able to use this server.  A true server like this (not some wannabe tower server or hacked together modded computer) requires precise knowledge of server hardware in order to even use.  Even configuring the integrated NIC cards and RAID arrays is no easy task, and that's without even loading an Operating System! Once you load the OS, the real fun begins! :lol I recommend Ubuntu Server without a GUI.  Extremely lightweight and versatile.  But even I have problems with it sometimes that I'm unable to track down and I'm forced to wipe the whole OS.  Quite infuriating. :anger

But anyway, it sold today without issues.  I had no doubt it would sell at that price.  Craigslist has been a little slow lately and I was a bit worried it would take a while to sell, but my fears were thankfully not realized.  It was hard to let it go for so cheap.  For that price I could have just used it as a computer.  But seeing as the XEON quad cores don't quite match up in performance to an i7 3770k when it comes to video editing and gaming, I decided to sell it.  I can always build an awesome i7 unit if I need it with that kind of cash.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile