The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

"Surf the Web. Save the World."

Alex · 12 · 1098

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Everyone on the Internet knows what Google is, and everyone's used it atleast once. www.givoogle.com has the same searchs, but in the process, gives money to charity. Says on the home page that just setting Givoogle as your start-up page, you will raise $74 a year to be donated to The American Cancer Society. You can even set the little search bar in the top right as it. I told my brother about it, and he's posting a topic on another forum about it. Soooo go to it, check it all out. Do it, tell your friends, make sure they do it!  :DD

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey thanks for that link! I'm not sure if it actually works, but if it does I might use this search machine in advance.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Check up on a company before you start doing things for "charity."  A LOT of money is produced from this and I'd be very surprised if the company wasn't taking most of not ALL of the profit.  After all, who's gonna prove they're not donating the money?

you will raise $74 a year

That's horrible.  If you're searching a few times per day, they'll make a heck of a lot more money than that.  I'm talking thousands of dollars. <_<

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 24 2009 on  10:49 AM
Check up on a company before you start doing things for "charity."  A LOT of money is produced from this and I'd be very surprised if the company wasn't taking most of not ALL of the profit.  After all, who's gonna prove they're not donating the money?

That's horrible.  If you're searching a few times per day, they'll make a heck of a lot more money than that.  I'm talking thousands of dollars. <_<
Well for one, it's not a company doing this, it's just two people. The two people run another website, called GivesMeHope.com (The same thing as 'FMyLife', but for optimists). One founder is a recent graduate from the University of Notre Dame. She also runs a site called DailyCute.net (go look at her site).
The other founder (who is recently engaged to the chick founder), started MuggleNet.com (the most visited Harry Potter fansite in the world), at the age of 12. He's wirtten two books, both like New York Time's bestsellers. He's given all the money from the second book to GMH/Givoogle.

They just don't sound like crooks to me.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You'd be surprised what good people do when they come into contact with a lot of money.  And if it's only $74 per YEAR, most of the earned money is going somewhere.  The only place I can think it could be going is into their pockets.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 24 2009 on  12:48 PM
You'd be surprised what good people do when they come into contact with a lot of money.  And if it's only $74 per YEAR, most of the earned money is going somewhere.  The only place I can think it could be going is into their pockets.
The only place you can think it's going is to their pockets? It can't possibly be going to charity?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Can't prove it one way or another can you?  I might do a search or two and see how it works.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The only place you can think it's going is to their pockets? It can't possibly be going to charity?

They admit themselves that they only give $74 to charity.  I can guarantee you they're making thousands off each and every person.  They're nothing but a sponsor supported search engine and you have to pay out the a$$ to get listed in their directory. <_<

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 24 2009 on  05:32 PM

They admit themselves that they only give $74 to charity.  I can guarantee you they're making thousands off each and every person.  They're nothing but a sponsor supported search engine and you have to pay out the a$$ to get listed in their directory. <_<
No no no, they did not admit that they only give $74 dollars to charity, they said if you set your homepage as they're website, you'll be generating $74 dollars a year. The just didn't give any numbers on how much you generate if you use the search engine or anything like that.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

That's horrible. If you're searching a few times per day, they'll make a heck of a lot more money than that. I'm talking thousands of dollars.
I dunno, if they only get a little bit of money for each 1000 views and I can only get them 4 or 5 views a day, I can't see how I'd ever raise much more than $74 a year by myself.  They do say that's per person, who probably doesn't use the internet a ton.
Besides, what's an easier way to donate money than to sit at your computer? :p  I see no reason not to. ;)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You people just don't know how much they're getting paid for this.  Most of these places charge $750 per 10,000 views (it might be higher than that now).  That's a boatload of money.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 25 2009 on  04:01 PM
You people just don't know how much they're getting paid for this.  Most of these places charge $750 per 10,000 views (it might be higher than that now).  That's a boatload of money.
I do know how much money Internet ads make, I've looked into them (Google AdSense, admob, mediaclick, etc. etc.) for my own projects. And that is a boatload of money! That's why it's such a good idea!  :smile