The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Chomper in green?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
Dengar recently posted a message at the network54 forum about things he finds criticworthy about the land before time sequels. In some points I agree with him, in others I don't.
Anyway, that is not exactly what I meant to talk about here in a forum for fanart. But one thing Dengar pointed out was that:
The colors(or colours) of the dinosaurs are getting unrealistic. Yay a purple dinosaur! If I wanted a purple dinosaur, I'd watch Barney.
I assume that he refers to Chomper (though there are other examples of purple dinosaurs). When I thought about it on earlier occassions (after "getting acquainted with the really shrill colored Mo) I was surprised that I had never felt disturbed at the idea of a purple sharptooth. Neither do I feel disturbed about his color now as I write this. However I thought it might be interesting to see how Chomper might look if he had been colored in a more sharptooth-like color (looking at the other LBT sharpteeth green would be the first choice here). I took a JPEG of Chomper and colored it green. I colored it rather roughly, and it's not really finished (with most of the arms being left green and the belly not being changed to a color that fits better to the green), but still I don't think that it looks too bad either. What do you think of such an alternative color for Chomper?

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I guess Chomper got the stomach bug I had last weekend.  :lol:   :lol:

No it is true, that they haven't really colored the dinos to look even realistic.  I suppose that grabs the younger child's attention however because they like colors rather than the dull shades the dinos actually were.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I still prefer Chomper's original purple color, Malte. But I guess if he had been green from the beginning and if your fanart was purple, I'd probaly say, "I stillprefer Chomper's original green color". Its all a matter of familiarity with me. Very interesting picture, though.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess Chomper got the stomach bug I had last weekend.

He does keep smiling though, doesn't he?  :lol:

I still prefer Chomper's original purple color, Malte. But I guess if he had been green from the beginning and if your fanart was purple, I'd probaly say, "I stillprefer Chomper's original green color". Its all a matter of familiarity with me.

That's pretty much the same with me. I wouldn't want them to do any color changes about Chomper or any of the other characters, simply because I'm very much accustomed to the way they look. That may also be a reason why I reacted very allergically to changing color patterns of the maincharacters in LBT 8 (which were probably meant to indicated that the characters are cold).
If Chomper grew up I strongly suppose his color would vary. It is allso interesting to take a look at Mo's grownup relatives. They have basically similar colors. The colors themselves didn't vary too much (except for it is more blue than purple), but the colors for the grownups were by far paler. The grownup relatives of Mo looked relatively realistic compared to Mo's own somewhat Pokemon-lik appearance. I almost got a heartattack when I saw Mo on the cover of LBT 9 for the first time, but really it didn't disturb me at all when I watched the movie.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
But he0's so cute =P And I guess that's what they wanted to make Mo.. his colours are very appealing for kids

I guess if they wanted to paint Chomper correctly they had to put him some feathers.. since young sharpteeth as T-rexs are believed to have had feathers maybe they would keep them as adults maybe they would fall out.. but it would be a lot better then a green Chomper (although that's my favourite colour =P)
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I can assure you Malte I was anything BUT smiling last weekend. ;)

As for Mo's color scheme, I actually enjoy it because it's different...it's not the usual coloring scheme of the rest of the dinosaurs....he's meant to be a fun character, and he has a fun/unusual color scheme to go along with it. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
For all I know the theory of feathered carnivores is mainly about the smaller raptors rather than T-Rex and the like.
Are there any proofes or disproves about the matter at all? I have to admit that I may be sort of conservative about this prefering a scaled and green T-rex from one with feathers.
My first reaction on the shrill colored Mo was the same. It did work out fine in the movie, but generally I think I prefer the natural dinosaur colors from the extremely strong colors some of the characters sport. But I DO NOT advocate any changes about Chomper's, Mo's or anybodies color patern.

I can assure you Malte I was anything BUT smiling last weekend
I'm sorry to hear that and hope you feel better now. :(

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I really hate looking at Raptors with feathers, it takes from their intimidation. i like them scally.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have to admit I never saw an image of a feathered raptor, so my ability to judge it is limited. But somehow it sounds like a huge chicken to me  :lol:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Which is why I refuse to watch "Jurassic Park 3" a second time. It had better plot, better actors, but the raptors (my favorite dino of all time) sucked!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Yup.. the males in JP 3 had feathers on their head.. I'm all in favour of acuracy.. and the truth is that proves found in many fossils in China show that carnivorus dino's from the cretaceous had feathers covering their intire bodies.. I think that people are so used to see dino's as scaled reptiles that they forget that birds evolved from them.. and feathers just didn't show up from one day to the other.. so I think that those terror birds from the early cenozoic where actually dino's that just lost their teeth for some reason
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
What exactly did they find that proves the feather theory? I consider it very well possible (looking at the accepted fact that birds developed from dinosaurs and at creatures such as Archeopterix), but I never actually read or heard about the proves before.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
lol nice colour pic of Chomper. I would never think of doing something like that ^^;

-Threehorn

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I will never take into consideration the concept of raptors having feathers. They look STUPID that way.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Raptors having feathers?????? o......k that is weird. maybe we should edit a snap shoot of one and put feathers on it to see what it looks like.  ;)

-Threehorn

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Don't bother. It doesn't look good.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think scientists are just trying to look for some link that would connect dinosaurs to present day birds.  I think the feather thing may look funny, but that's hardly a reason to condemn it, if it can in fact be proved. ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
But what are the prooves? I don't want to call the claim that raptors may have had feathers into question, but what kind of prove did they find? Imprints? Petrifactions? I mean, feathers are not as durable as bones are.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I believe they found something in terms of the way the bones were shaped that gave them the idea that there was a possibility for feathers to have been over the skin in certain areas.  This had to be months ago so I don't remember it too well.  <_<