The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cera and Petrie

oogaboo · 15 · 2536

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I just wanna show one of many of my talents here on this forum.
What do you think of it?

EDIT:Cera and Petrie

I've made a few modifications.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

Vek

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Kaelvek
Nice style. They're both cute in the first panel in particular.

But i can't understand the joke... When she will grow up she will have 2 other horn, not only one. And it will be a total of three horn, so i dont know why Petrie said quadhorn.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
-_-

And I thought I was a tough critic...<_<

Not only is this my first LBT art I also have to explain a simple joke to people.

Petrie is asking cera if she is a "threehorn". Petrie JOKINGLY said she will grow another horn just to mess with her. I know threehorns have one nose horn and one horn above each eye, folks. Petrie pretty much put the jokes on her and at the last minute she realizes that she can't be a "Quadhorn".

When you are reading a comic strip, do not worry so much about the logical standpoint of the joke. At least appreciate the expressions. I probably should have reworded this but its too late. Many of my friends, on the internet and outside of the internet thought it was funny and thought nothin' of it.
I'm not angry, I'm just baffled by the confusion here. Do you find the word "quadruple" lame or do you just not get this comic period? Should I call it "fourhorn"?

Maybe next time I'll just draw a simple picture with big pretty colors and details without adding any jokes to avoid more misunderstanding.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't see why you got upset. I was just saying I couldn't understand the joke. Petrie doesn't say "if you grow another horn, you quadhorn", he says "but when you grow up you have another horn". This is where the confusion originated.

In order for a joke to work it has to make sense. And expect that not everyone is going to get it right away. Usually I can get jokes but sometimes I get confused, and when I do I try to understand the aspect of the joke to try to 'get it'. But in this case I was unable to until it was explained.

And anyway don't get upset just because a couple people didn't get the joke right away. As I said, you'll have to expect that. Not everyone is going to get every joke.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Ummmm......yeah.......I didn't get it until after you explained it.

Hilarious expressions though. :p

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oh lord! Hallelujah! Thank god for Photoshop!
And like I said in my last post, I'm not angry. I can't express my feelings on the internet. And I'll admit, I made a mistake... :slap

But next time I'll just stick to drawing pics that aren't too focused on funny stuff, I guess... :unsure:

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Nice- the Petrie in the second panel reminds me of a Simpsons character :p
I wouldn't encourage you to stop including jokes just because one of them flopped. If you find something funny, might as well try it out on a wider audience. Humor is naturally hit-and-miss :yes

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I got the joke... bit of a groaner though  :p Loved the expressions! Especially Cera's "I am not amused" face in the last frame! Nice work! :lol

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I really like the cartoonish art style you have going, and the character's expressions are priceless :lol

One small criticism, nothing really huge, but if you plan to do more with Petrie, remember that he is not the best in terms of grammar. Maybe shortening his sentences by one word would be a little more accurate. Just as an example, instead of "If you grow other horn, you called quadhorn", maybe take out "called"? Then again, it's your call and you do it however you choose. Just something I thought about.

Otherwise, very amusing and I hope you continue to do more of these.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Aug 26 2010 on  08:45 AM
I really like the cartoonish art style you have going, and the character's expressions are priceless :lol

Thanks! Expressions are my specialties. Especially when I look at myself in the mirror.

Quote from: LBTFan13,Aug 26 2010 on  08:45 AM
One small criticism, nothing really huge, but if you plan to do more with Petrie, remember that he is not the best in terms of grammar. Maybe shortening his sentences by one word would be a little more accurate. Just as an example, instead of "If you grow other horn, you called quadhorn", maybe take out "called"? Then again, it's your call and you do it however you choose. Just something I thought about.

I don't mind criticism. In fact I encourage your critique. Yes, I probably should've reworded petrie's lack of grammar but I'm also glad you mentioned "It's my call". Petrie's grammar was a bit difficult for me anyways.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Joke aside, I thought the artwork was pretty good. :yes Petrie and Cera look a little cartoonier than their usual style, especially in the second and third panels (though perhaps that was intentional?), but they're still very recognizable, and the style works well. Also, if this is the first time you've ever drawn these characters, then you did a darned good job! :smile

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to try to identify what was wrong with the joke:

The original second panel (which I did not see) simply had Petrie state that Cera would grow another horn when she was older, right? I think the problem might have been that because Cera presently has only one horn, people were confused because they thought Petrie meant that she would grow one other horn, and thought both "but she's going to grow TWO more horns!" and "why would she get freaked out by being told that?".

Also, in the revised version, Petrie is making a hypothetical statement; he said that if Cera grew an extra horn, she would be a "quadhorn"; he didn't imply that she that she would. And while it's less of a significant issue in this version, he still didn't specify that he was talking about a fourth horn growing.

I hope that's in some way helpful. Don't give up on making LBT joke pictures; just try to look at the punchlines from the perspective of someone who's never seen them before, and make sure that they would make sense.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thank you for your critique, everyone!  :)
I'll pay more attention to my jokes next time.

My next idea will have Ducky and Pterano with his goons!

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's cute. :^.^: I like the way the characters are drawn.