The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Reading

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm an agnostic. I did not read the entire bible parts of which are really not very "reader-friendly" so to speak. I did read many passages of special interest though and I can tell most of the basic content or when people claiming to have read the bible are claiming contents which cannot be found anywhere in the book.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm a Christian, and I make it a point to read it through once a year, and then meditate further on particular passages.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I've never really read the Bible before, and I don't really plan to. It's way too big, thousands of pages. Way too long for me to want to read, to be honest. No offense.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jul 30 2007 on  11:02 AM
I've never really read the Bible before, and I don't really plan to. It's way too big, thousands of pages. Way too long for me to want to read, to be honest. No offense.
It varies from publisher to publisher, but my copy has something around 700 pages.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The one my mom has had at least a thousand pages. I think my grandma owns a smaller copy though. She doesn't live here though.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
The reasons for the page variances is that some have different sized pages and different sized fonts. However, unless it's a different version from King James Version (New King James Version, Amplified Bible, The Message, etc.), they will have the same message and words (not counting 'extras,' like dictionaries, concordances, etc.). So, if you read, say, a 600 page King James Version Bible through one year and a 1,000 page King James Version Bible through the next year, you would be reading the exact same content and the exact same words.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
All those versions, changed by man...is it even the "word" of God?

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Nothing in the Bible is the word of God, it's just metaphores and stories, apart from a few facts, interpreted by the writers of those times.
I've read the Apocalipse, and other parts, some are quite interesting. I remember going to church and just have to fight to hold my laughter at the way the priests interpreted some passages.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewOrder,Jul 31 2007 on  06:39 AM
Nothing in the Bible is the word of God, it's just metaphores and stories, apart from a few facts, interpreted by the writers of those times.
I've read the Apocalipse, and other parts, some are quite interesting. I remember going to church and just have to fight to hold my laughter at the way the priests interpreted some passages.
Ruh-roe! Mabey we should continue this train of thought in "After Midnight" and change the topic here to what it was oriented to before.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I agree that if this discussion is to be continued it should rather be continued in the after midnight section. Participants in the discussion are very welcome to present their views, but must keep in mind that, no matter their convictions they need not be the convictions of others.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Woah, hit a hot spot there  :rolleyes:
Anyway, I'll not be participating in such discussion, it's way too boring.

Returning to the topic, when do you prefer or have time to read books? I find myself reading mostly during summer and christmas vacations.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Yes, I enjoy a good book every now & then. I wish kids nowadays around my area (and in general) would do so as well, they're so hooked up on cell phones and text messages they probably forgot what a book even looked like.  Good Lord, I'm starting to sound like an old codger here.