The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Favorite Unfavorite Character

MurMur · 32 · 4131

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
These characters seem to be very unpopular. I don't remember seeing any fans of them.
But if you still like them, then here's a question: which one of these characters is your favorite?
But don't forget to explain your vote.
I wanted to make it multi-choice, but that would be a "cheat", letting everyone to pick everyone. :)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well we all know the Yellow Bellies will have the most votes. But I liked Shorty a lot. He was a character I looked up to. He was a outcast no one liked him he had no friends no family I felt sorry for him. Since I was like that and still am. So I picked him as a favorite out of the list.

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
But I don't see your vote here. :) The poll shows 0 votes.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^and someone voted for the Old One w/o explaining :)

I voted for Mr. Thicknose due to following reasons...
  • His wisdom
  • He appears in my favourite sequel
  • He can be funny at times
Other characters that I like far better than many members around here are
  • Shorty
  • Dinah and Danah
Inactive, probably forever.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I voted for Ichy as despite the fact that I DIDN'T like the concept of a non-threatening villain (at least compared to others they've had), at the same time it kind of intrigued me, as it showed he was flawed and actually NEEDED someone else to help him get food. While having a villain with a serious flaw might not make him very threatening, it DOES at least show that sometimes, life can be like that. The "baddies" can't always stand on their own, just like their opposite numbers.

Anyway, it's always caused him to stand out in my mind, so much so that I decided to make him more of an anti-hero in my only completed fic on this board. :yes

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
He was a close second choice to me as well. Even tho Mr Think Nose was a fibber he meant well in the movie. And the song he sang was amazing and very good.

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, some of these characters are "good guys", yet they aren't very popular, and I wonder why.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, this was tough - maybe I should have looked a little more carefully at the choices :)
I voted for the Yellowbellies. But then maybe my vote's a little invalid - I wouldn't mind seeing them in another episode (where they take control, maybe, lol)
I guess a close second would be Shorty - at first, I didn't like his aggressive nature but then as they all say, don't judge a book by its cover. And i ended up liking him. I felt bad for him. He seems a lot like Littlefoot, looking out for those around him, and also hanging onto things he doesn't want to lose.
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, as you said in your first post we talk about characters who aren't favourite characters of anyone (or only of a small minority) here. That doesn't mean they aren't liked :) They just aren't liked as much as other, more important characters who mostly have more screentime as well such as the Gang. However, there are characters who appear only in one movie (respectively TV-ep or in both) who have quite a big group of fans (e.g. Pterano, Ali, etc.). I gotta admit that these characters generally have a better character profile (i.e. they're created better than the ones in your list though one can discuss about this in some cases..) and a higher importance than the characters in the list. What would LBT 4 be w/o Ali? What would LBT 7 be w/o Pterano? I think you got it :) But characters like Tickles or Skip or Elsie don't add much to the storyline at all (many say the same about Dinah & Dana btw. but I don't think so... they add something to LBT 6). Again this can't be said about all characters. Some might be kinda unpopular due to their behavior or their villainism (does this word even exist? :D) e.g. the Yellowbellies due to their stupidy and their annoying acting in general (I wonder if anyone will disagree on that.. ) or Icky and Dil due to being the 'bad guys'.

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well (another post starting with "Well"!), the purpose of this poll is to find out who is the "least unfavorite" of these characters. It's possible that they do have some fans, but I don't remember seeing them anywhere. So it's the place where these fans can come and explain their opinions.
It looks like there are two fans of the Old One. It's probably because they wish her to be their leader or something. :)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I chose Mr. Thicknose as well.  He had a dry sense of humor which I can relate to.  Additionally, I felt that he was a sympathetic character in that film as he had lost the one thing that he valued most, his dignity, and he struggled to regain his reputation.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

CeraTheRed

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Gotta go with Mr. Thicknose, I like his personality, and I kinda feel for him. I love how he shares his wisdom, too, and teaches the kids. I really would like to know him.

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TabalugaDragon
How come nobody else voted for Elsie(the swimming lady from LBT 5) She is one of the niciest LBT characters ever!
But if it wasn't for her I'd vote for Mr Thicknose too, I like him a lot

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I have to go with Shorty. He speaks to me on a spiritual level. That, and I think he's a cool guy.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I think Mr Thicknose had a lot of potential to develop as a character (and he does). Going from an almost pompous, self-righteous know-it-all to realising that anyone can be open to any new experiences no matter how well travelled or aged you are. The breaking of that mindset that "older always is wiser" showed a painful metamorphosis of the character from depressive and irritable when outcasted and then loving and accepting by the end was quite well handled I felt.

I wouldn't go as far to say that they are unliked (or "unfavourite" I think the term was). I suppose, because they all had a relatively short shelf life within each of the movies, there wasn't much to link to so most fan just didn't pay them much attention (not including any reappearances in the TV series mind).  

Other mentions go to:
Shorty
Archie (I dunno, I just liked him as a character. Would have been nice to see more of him and for him to be a little more fleshed out).
Dinah and Dana (yeah there wasn't much point to them but hey... they're Threehorn babies. Cutesy factor +10. That and one of them is voiced by Nancy Cartwright! Y'know... Bart Simpson! [Absolute truth!] ;)

SkyColor-TreeSweets

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Mr. Thicknose, the gang's wise old teacher. His story arc, about wanting admiration and fibbing to earn respect and learning a lesson from that seemed pretty unique to me. He certainly was more interesting than the other guest character of the movie, Tippy, although the latter appeared more in the marketing for LBT 8.

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
Obviously Mr. Clubtail just of his cocky personality.

In Movie 12, he doesn't care that children are flying from the air and falling into the very ground.  As long as his snack isn't ruined, he doesn't really give two horsenoses.  That kind of angers me how he would think that way.  

He's more into his pride of food and having a "bopper" than anything else, but I wouldn't go as far as to calling him ego-centric like Mr. Threehorn.

*edit, thanks, Ducky123*

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Uhm.. I believe you have mixed up Mr. Thicknose and Mr. Clubtail here  :unsure:

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
xD Mr. Thicknose is like only in 8 and I think some of the TV episodes
Don't confuse
Mr. Thicknose
Mr. Threehorn/Topsy
and Mr. Clubtail
lol

CeraTheRed

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Yeah...you're a LITTLE BIT confused there. You're thinking of Mr. Clubtail, not Mr. Thicknose. XD
...Who's my fav, as I've mentioned before.