The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Redclaw' scar

rosie · 16 · 2410

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
That is one big scar. Does anyone know about how he got it or imagine how he got it? Why is it still red and bleeding?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
It's not bleeding.  It is colored red so that it's a predominant feature on his face.  Don't you notice how it really shows up against the color of his skin?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd guess it's red so it can be easily seen and give him his name.  As for how he got it that is as much of a mystery as how Chomper got off the island and came to be totally accepted by the folks in the Great Valley (everyone but at least 1 Maiasaur mother that is)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
As for the scar being red, it is just to make it more visible I suppose, same as was the case with Doc's scar. It wasn't mentioned how he obtained the scar though. I suppose it is mainly a device to make it easy to differentiate Redclaw from other sharpteeth.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
note also that redclaw's scar is resiment to that one of scar from the lion king :p

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Except Redclaw's scar is a lot bigger. I suspect he could have just gotten it in a fight with another sharptooth, or perhaps from a planteater like a stegosaurus, or iguanadon.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It's likely large, like Doc's for the same reason for it's color, so it is easily seen by the viewers.  & perhaps to set them apart from others of their kind like Malte said.  Much the same reasons in Anime some characters have orange hair, green hair & in some sentai series like Gatchaman, or Power Ranger certain folks tend to wear clothes of only 1 color, or even numbers on their shirts.

Vaan360

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Much the same reasons in Anime some characters have orange hair, green hair & in some sentai series like Gatchaman, or Power Ranger certain folks tend to wear clothes of only 1 color, or even numbers on their shirts.

Exatly, so that they can be well diferenced from other caracthers

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, this theory comes from being inspired by The Dark Knight.

Let's just say that it happened when he was young and his father was... rather abusive to him.

Hey, makes sense to me. :D

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I have my own idea of how he got the scar. I had meant to illustrate it, but never got around to it.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I'd like to see your idea for Redclaw's scar DH. I hope you'll be able to do a pic of it if you have the chance.
 As for theories, I think it may have been done during a fight, but since it was never stated, I guess the possibilities are endless... until a canon fact can be given.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
You know, pokeplayer, that’s actually a really good theory! :! I had always assumed that Red Claw had gotten his scar from another sharptooth, but somehow it had never occurred to me that he might have received it while young. It actually makes a lot of sense, though; how exactly does a full-grown T. rex receive a scar composed of a single long, uninterrupted slash from eyebrow to claw tip? One would expect such an injury to be more easily inflicted by a much larger assailant, which would require Red Claw to have been much younger at the time he received it.
Your hypothesis also opens a new perspective on Red Claw’s character. Maybe the reason he’s such an obstreperous bully who constantly terrorizes smaller dinosaurs (even if one argues his motive to be hunger, it seems to me that Red Claw goes out of his way to attack creatures that would provide relatively inconsequential meals) is because he himself suffered a traumatic childhood. (Holy coprolites, I think we may be on the verge of finding sympathy for Red Claw! :blink:)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Interesting theory indeed pokeplayer :yes
I'm having one theory in mind (which I might put into a story one day) that this gash is actually two gashes with one opponent striking into an already existing gash that would run from the eye to the shoulder and tearing it open up to the claw. In that theory redclaw might be subject to one (or several) changes of name depending on the state of that mark.
One thought which just occurred me is that perhaps it might not be a mark from a fight or physical attack from anyone else at all. I have a small scar over one eye resulting from me forcefully opening a metal door and not getting my head out of the door's edge's path. Could not dinosaurs inflict scars upon themselves through such embarrassing accidents? It would be kind of a funny element if Red Claw has an embarrassing secret while exploiting the uncertainty of anyone about his scar for it's intimidating look :lol

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How about I REALLY make the theory convincing.  How about in my fanfic, I have Redclaw tell his cornered prey the sadistic story behind it all before savagely ending their life?  Much like the Joker from The Dark Knight does. :D

Gee, then I'd make him look like a REAL villain. :P:

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
What I'd really like to know is how Red Claw obtained his titular characteristic. :huh: I've wondered if it's possible that when he acquired his scar, some of the blood seeped into the living tissue of his claw, permanently staining it red. (It's slightly disgusting to contemplate, I know.) Or could it have nothing to do with the scar, and his claw is naturally pigmented red? (I'm not sure if that's possible, though, and it seems like too much of a coincidence that his only red claw just happens to be connected to his scar.)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.