The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Stephen King

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
In more recent years, I've taken an increasing fondness to the horror genre, so my eventual interest in the man who can write a book longer than the Bible in the time it's taken you to read this sentence was inevitable. So far I've managed to read IT, Pet Sematary, and I'm working on Tommyknockers. Any suggestions?

The man is definitely a talented writer and the fact that he can punch through and get something readable that's also enjoyable so quickly is very impressive. His stuff can get pretty weird, though, as I'm already stating to notice.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
"Misery"
I have never been an awful lot into horror myself, but the day I started reading that book (during my highschool time) was also the day I finished it because I couldn't put it away anymore.
If you are interested in vampires you may want to try "'Salem's Lot" though personally I didn't enjoy it as much as Misery.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, right, Misery! That's like one of his most favored classics! I should have thought of that one! Thanks, Malte!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Cujo and The Shining are awesome Stephen King books.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
If someone can write a story in which the hero is lying in bed like 95% of the time and still make it too exciting for the book to be put away the author really must be a genius ;)
Another Stephen King book we actually read in English class was "Stand by me" / "The body". Funnily enough we had a great Stephen King fan in class who pointed out to us what the version not "adapted for school kids" (the German translation of it that is) sounded like. Our English teacher was quite cool with us and taught us the English words which the school book authors had deemed "not-childfriendly" :p
In parts the "childfriendly" version really didn't make much sense (why does that kid have a problem with the thought of picking a leech away from the "ear" of his friend??? :lol).

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I concur. I've just started Misery and it's already gripped me.