The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How come Ducky didn't just swim in LTB 7?

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I always wondered why she had trouble swimming in The Stone of Cold Fire. She IS a swimmer after all. I mean, I know the water was fast, but I still don't understand why she would have had trouble swimming. I'm sure that her mom would have been like "Oh Ducky, just swim,  dear!" like she did in The Big Freeze.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I doubt even the best human Swimmer could swim in such fast water without huge problems.
Ducky is a Swimmer, but she's very small and weak compared to the pure violence of the fast water.
The fast water has a lot of currents that easily can pull the little Swimmer under the surface.
Inactive, probably forever.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Lol, I've wondered the same thing, but it probably had something to do with the height she was dropped from, as well as her small size, plus hitting the water the way she did would result in a semi-blackout, which would make it hard for her to get her bearings, as well as control her strokes :p
... And swimming in rapids is no easy task, especially if one is very small and was just dropped from a three-stories' equivalent of height :o
... haha I just cracked up seeing that line: Oh Ducky, just swim dear!
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I know from experience it's useless to swim with violent rapids.  It's just like trying to swim against a riptide...it gets you nowhere except exhausted and at higher risk of going under and drowning.  She did the right thing by going with the currents until she was able to grab hold of something solid (Littlefoot's tail).

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Maybe Ducky just hates being dropped from heights?  :idea I mean, in LBT 6, Petrie assured her that if she fell down into the canyon, that she could have landed in the "skinny little river" but she sarcastically replied "Oh, thank you. I feel SOOOOO much better now  :anger "  :lol

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If I were Ducky( honestly I AM Ducky  :nyah ) I'd be scared of being dropped from heighs :yes
She was dropped in many movies...
(1, Cera catapulted Ducky)
4, Icky and Petrie streched her in the air, after Icky let go she fell into that river knocked unconscious, safed by Spike  :D
5, Ducky got lost and fell down a canyon, but she's captioned by a sharptooth flyer, who tried to feed its hatchlings with the little Swimmer  :DD
you mentioned 6 already though she didn't fell from the log  :)
7 the scene that the thread is about :D And she fell down from Threehorn Peak, safed by Pterano  :lol:
12 Spike pushed Ducky from the rock, where they watched Petrie, Littlefoot safed her, Ducky was angry with Spike.
I don't know, whether she was dropped from heights in the TV series though...

I think that confirms your theory, OllyDirectioner :yes

I also agree with CT.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Ducky shows a strange discontinuity with regard to fear of hights. It is most distinct in LBT 6 when she is the first to hop across the rocky pillars over the deep canyon having no qualms about that at all but being positively terrified at the prospect of walking across the much broader log over the same canyon later on :p
As for swimming in a current, anyone who has ever swum in a river of even a moderate current will know that it can carry you away easily and that swimming against it will carry you away in no time.
What confuses me a lot more than whether or not Ducky stays at the surface is another discontinuity of hers.
There are scenes which seem to suggest that Ducky as a swimmer is amphibic (so she doesn't merely have an affinity for water but is able to breathe under water) while in other scenes we see her gasping for air after resurfacing.
What do you all make of this, do you think Ducky is amphibic or not?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think she's like a dolphin, that she will need air from the surface but can stay underwater for a considerable longer amount of time than non-swimmers and can fluently move in water due to her body.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ducky shows a strange discontinuity with regard to fear of hights
I consider Ducky as very spontaneous so her reactions depends on the situation.

It is most distinct in LBT 6 when she is the first to hop across the rocky pillars over the deep canyon having no qualms about that at all but being positively terrified at the prospect of walking across the much broader log over the same canyon later on dino_tongue.gif
Hopping across the rocky pillars sounded like fun to her so she wasn't afraid of the height, while walking across indeed feared her( maybe she had a bad mood due to the Sharptooth Attack  ;) )
She was scared of the height in both situation, but since hopping across the rocky pillars sounded like fun she lost her fear :)

As for swimming in a current, anyone who has ever swum in a river of even a moderate current will know that it can carry you away easily and that swimming against it will carry you away in no time.
We had a swimming pool with a current last holiday and I couldn't swim against it at the stronger areas  :lol agreed

What confuses me a lot more than whether or not Ducky stays at the surface is another discontinuity of hers.
There are scenes which seem to suggest that Ducky as a swimmer is amphibic (so she doesn't merely have an affinity for water but is able to breathe under water) while in other scenes we see her gasping for air after resurfacing.
Never noticed that :D You talk about the scene from the original, right? Ducky hid under water holding her breath(though she breathed out because she was startled by the Sharptooth  :confused )

What do you all make of this, do you think Ducky is amphibic or not?
I'm with Iris, I guess Ducky can hold her breathe much longer than the others
In LBT 8 she turned blue right away, when Cera ordered her to hold her breath though :P:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hopping across the rocky pillars sounded like fun to her so she wasn't afraid of the height, while walking across indeed feared her( maybe she had a bad mood due to the Sharptooth Attack ;) )
She was scared of the height in both situation, but since hopping across the rocky pillars sounded like fun she lost her fear :)
These are interesting considerations indeed :yes
I hadn't taken Ducky's playful nature into account when thinking about her fear of hights. You know, this is a really interesting point indeed. Ducky is not exactly a daredevil unless she has to help somebody. But perhaps it could be a rather interesting plot element how playfulness rather than helpfulness might get Ducky into danger.
Never noticed that :D You talk about the scene from the original, right? Ducky hid under water holding her breath(though she breathed out because she was startled by the Sharptooth  :confused )
Aye that scene is one I had in mind in particular.
I think your interpretation of Ducky as not amphibic but with a very long breath (like sea mamals) is quite plausible too Iris and David. Thanks for your insights and views :)