The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ducky

Petrie. · 91 · 14844

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Discuss the character, Ducky here.

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
My thoughts on Ducky...

Her annoying voice and her way of speech. "Oh, no, no, no". But she's the cutie of the gang. That's all.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Matter of taste I suppose. I'm quite fond of her voice and her individual way of talking. It would be kind of boring to have them all talk the way fellow students do all the time.
There is more to make of her than a mere cutie. No doubt she is meant to be the cutie, but unlike some other movie's cuties she can act on her own without anyone else telling her what to do (examples in LBT 5, 7, and 8) though I will admit that most of the time she prefers following Littlefoot's or Cera's lead.
Interestingly she seems to be a "language talent" being able to give a more complex meaning to the baby talk of Dinah and Dana and the mumbling of her little brother Spike. She is especially helpful (it is difficult for me to imagine any of the others as Spike's surrogate sister or brother).
It is remarkable how sometimes she seems to be quite acrophobic, when crossing logs in LBT 2 (Spike has to carry her) and 6, while on the other hand she is the first to leap across the rocky pillars in LBT 6, which seems much scarier to me than crossing the log in the same movie (Spike too seems to have this temporary fits of acrophobia while he sometimes shows an extreme indifference towards heights, for example when he crosses the LBT 5 log smiling relaxed and with closed eyes).
Ducky is the only one with both parents in the Great Valley, though we didn't get a glimpse of her father (who never played a role) since LBT 5. Maybe this contributes to her being probably the most cheerful of the LBT maincharacters.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
it's also a suggested characteristic of her species, Wiki explains that Saurolophi are seen as the mothering type, so they may go out of their way to help someone (also explaining her just 'taking in' Spike without reason)

Ducky is my fav of the five :)

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
that mothertype saurolophus could be... she will also a great mother to i think :birthday

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
I think ducky is the cutest character of the gang and I find the way she is talking sooo cute :^.^:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She is one of my favorites, along with Chomper.  Though I can see how some of her dialog others would find annoying, I do not myself.

Isn't Ducky's type related to Maiasaurs , I think the spelling is, translated I think to mean good mother lizards?

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Well, now, I don¥t think so. It¥s just her way she is talking. That makes her different of the others. I think her spelling is good to understand for younger ones, whose are whatching LBT, too. The emotions when she sais Oh yup yup yup or no no no comes better, if you understand what I want to say B)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Isn't Ducky's type related to Maiasaurs , I think the spelling is, translated I think to mean good mother lizards?
Ducky's kind (she seems to be a Saurolophus) would belong to the family of Hadrosauridae (duck-billed dinosaurs) which includes Maiasaura. Maiasaura indeed means "good mother lizard" while Saurolophus means "reptile crest". We did get a look on a Maiasaura in LBT 6 where Ducky was examining the Maiasaura's nest looking for Dinah and Dana.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
LBT 6? I'll have to look for that scene, curious how they animated them.  I knew lots of folks here would know more then I do about Dinosaurs, especially all the correct terms.

Personally I enjoy how Ducky talks, adds to her cuteness, at least in my opinion.

mcr mad

• Spike
    • View Profile
she's my fav. she has such a cute voice :DD

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
All her voice actors have done cute voices, and she is animated cute too.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Ducky seems to have a great mom, but a not so great dad (assuming he didn't just die or something.).  She's gonna make the best mom ever! :D She is tolerant of Spike even though he can be somewhat annoying.  She certainly has more patience with him than Cera does.  In LBT 7 when Spike ate the vine, Cera was pissed!  "Don't ever do that AGAIN!" :lol

I've always liked Ducky and I think she's the one that's usually most appealing to the young kids who watch LBT.  Ducky's "yup, yup, yup" is only annoying at times in the tv series.  The worst one was the return of the lone dinosaur episode when she said "I am here alone yup, yup, yup".  It was so annoying because it was obvious that they didn't put any thought into showing that she was alone, they just made her say it.  I mean, why would she have said that except to tell all of us that she was alone?  That was a really bad part.  I don't find her "yup, yup, yup" to be annoying at any other time.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ducky's Mum is an interesting character, but can to a certain degree be described as a "background grownup", a label that could be attached to Petrie's Mum as well. While not just forgotten like the fathers of Ducky and Petrie they are not granted the central position of Cera's Dad and Littlefoot's grandpa (his grandma too is somewhat less central than his grandpa). Ducky's and Petrie's mother were given a somewhat more important role in LBT 7 and in case of Ducky's mum in LBT 8 in that of Petrie's mum in LBT 12. I think that the LBT grownups are especially interesting as they seem to be the generation that was still brought up in a very racist manner (judging from the original movie) but learned to overcome a racism which had not yet "sunk in" as much in the generation of Littlefoot and the others.
I tried to give Ducky's and Petrie's Mum an important role in one LBT story I'm writing. I tried to make Ducky's mum sort of a "different heroine". A character not as aggressive as Cera's dad and possibly not as "wise" as Littlefoot's grandpa, but a kind of heroine  way we might expect a grownup Ducky to become when compared to a grownup Littlefoot or Cera. Personally I don't like the idea of letting the LBT characters grow up, but if we are interested in grownup dinosaurs taking a look at the characters parents and grandparents may be really interesting. In spite of the fact that of course they are not their children and grandchildren there may still be some interesting similarities.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is one interesting idea that many likely have not explored in any fanfiction yet is writing and having the adults be the main characters.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe there is not even the need to make the grownups maincharacters at the expense of Littlefoot and the others if only the grownups are given some more important role to play than just that of the "fools" who just talk while the children act (this at least is a common reproach of LBT which cannot be totally refuted in every sequel).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is one of the usually weak points of juvenile focused things.  The adults are usually done either as somewhat useless for various reasons, inept or other things.  Few indeed, that I"ve seen can give the kids certain roles and the adults certain roles where neither end up looking the worst for it.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Smallville" does it pretty well. That's the only one that comes to mind.

LBT is definitely not the worst offender of this, though. I agree the average background dinosaur is usually little more than an uneducated armchair-complainer who seems prone to side with Cera's dad on everything from water rations to the luckiness of guest stars, but some of the closer relatives serve multiple purposes. Littlefoot's grandparents are definitely voices of reason, Cera's dad never fails to cause internal strife and heighten the conflict, and Ducky's mom, whenever she has a large part, usually provides cousel for Ducky in times of need.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Council yes, as long as Cera's dad isn't around then from what I've seen she blindly agrees with him.  Though all that and the way Cera's dad is likely at least partially a plot device like I mentioned before.  It's one of those things that is best if one tries to ignore it as best as possible.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
I'm sure all the current readers are aware that I have an assessment of her which may as well be merged with this thread any more XD

here it is

It may stay separate I guess because as the series continue there could be more updates, but either way works