The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

On behalf of the TV-series

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
By now I have seen 10 of the TV episodes, though I did not write about each one yet. The episodes I have seen include the “infamous” episode that includes Ali’s return (I will write about that one in the episode discussion section one of these days) and though I have not even seen half of the episodes I hope it is not to early to give a first overall impression.
So far the huge majority of posts about the TV series gave it negative feedback.
There seems to be almost something like a general agreement that the TV series is to be considered bad. If indeed there is such an “unspoken agreement” I certainly was part of it myself. From the moment we first learned about the comming of the TV series in August 2005 it was anticipated with “mixed” feelings at best. It took me a year and heteronomy I mentioned elsewhere to watch the episodes. Much of what I had read about the episodes till then (I avoided reading spoilers) had been negative or unimpressed.
From what I have seen so far I don’t share this negative sentiment about the TV series anymore. Looking at the facts I can’t help thinking that many of the things land before time fans like us have been calling for for years were included in the TV series. I would not be surprised if some of the aspects of the TV series were influenced by people who read some of the messages that had been written about earlier LBT movies. I don’t know it, but just in case that a member (or several) of the production team are reading this, I want to thank you for taking into account what LBT fans wrote.
Here are some of the things which I think may well have been influenced by what fans wrote in the GOF and other forums.
We see characters from earlier sequels again. There had been many calls for the characters not to be shown in one movie only and then be forgotten. Mr. Thicknose had guest appearances in two of the episodes I have seen, Ali of course made her return (the details about this are for another topic), Pterano was at least referred to (more than was done about the “lost” characters in the sequels), and from what I heard characters like Hyp, Nod, Mutt, Doc, Guido, and Bron will reappear too.
The sharpteeth and dangerous situations in general are not as harmless in the TV episodes as they have been in some of the later sequels. Many of us pointed out how silly sharpteeth have become in later episodes and how almost every dangerous moment in the later sequels is suggarcoated so there is hardly any perceived threat. The same is not true for the TV-episodes. There are many scenes where danger or predators are really presented as potential threads to the characters’ lives. Of course we know they will make it and sometimes they make some easy getaways, but altogether I feel that if we want a land before time that is not so much for a younger audience only the TV series made a big step in the right direction. Also there is no longer this “everything turns red in case of danger effect” which had been used excessively in some of the sequels.
There had often been calls for the focus of the LBT stories not to rest too much on one character but give everyone something to do. Some of the sequels shifted the focus from the traditional maincharacter (Littlefoot) a bit more to the others. In case of the TV series episodes I have seen so far I really find they did a very good job in distributing the action among the different characters. One of my misgivings about the TV-series was that with two more permanent characters some of the old characters would be even more obliterated. Meanwhile I think this fear didn’t turn out to be justified. The makers of the TV series did an extremely good job in including all of the characters. Of course there are some episodes in which one or a few characters feature a bit more than the others, but altogether every character has a function in the stories.
The makers of the TV series also did a good job when it comes to keeping the characters “in character”. They really behave like we expect them to based on the previous movies. This is not meant to be criticism as in characters being “predictable” but as praise as in characters being “familiar”, “recognisable”, you name it. Some of the characters features are particularly stressed in the TV series helping to intensify the image of them being individuals rather than a group of dinosaurs led by a longneck. I’m overdrawing here. None of the sequels was really that extreme in neglecting Ducky, Petrie, and Spike, but in any case I think their individuality is well stressed in the TV-series.
Most of the stories I have seen so far are quite solid. Some of the stories are very simple, but this does not necessarily make them bad stories. But these stories are not meant to be told in the “epic” length of a sequel. The short length of the episodes has been raised in another thread as a point of criticism of the episodes. I guess some stories just don’t need an hour or more to be told, but by itself that does not make a story any worse. At least one of the sequels has been criticized as it was perceived that nothing was happening in the whole time. Perhaps that sequel would have been better if it had been shortened a little? So long the story does not come across as crammed, or incomplete I don’t really think the length is a good point of criticism.

Maybe many of us (including myself of course) react to the TV series with a kind of reflex being skeptical about it, saying so, and sticking to this view no matter what. Some fans say that they are not interested in anything but the original land before time movie and don’t care the least about the sequels or the episodes or anything but the original. Maybe the initial reaction of some of us to the sequels was similar to the initial reaction of many of us to the TV series. Anyway, looking at what I have seen so far, I cannot held up my previous reservations against the TV series.
Credit where credit is due; I thank the makers of the episodes I have seen so far for what I consider a good job at land before time story telling.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Plotholes and contradictions are of course a major concern about any movie. There are some in the TV episodes. However, I feel that some of biggest perceived plotholes of the TV series (why are Ruby and Chomper in the Valley? Why are they (especially Chomper) tolerated?) may not be real plotholes at all. In case of other movies we had characters just disappearing without any explanation or we had Bron's story in LBT 10 which sadly withstood any attempts to patch it up as there were too many conflicts with earlier movies and even with LBT 10 itself.
As for the TV series it doesn't seem so impossible to fill the gaps and make up stories which would give plausible explanations to the questions left unanswered by the TV-series (of course all this refers only to the ten episodes I have seen so far). It almost seems like some of the unanswered but answerable question in the TV series were an "invitation" to answer them yourself by making up new stories ;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There were some episodes that had problems I thought, but overall I liked the episodes.    I would guess most would say they overall liked the episodes also.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Mar 20 2008 on  07:50 PM
Maybe many of us (including myself of course) react to the TV series with a kind of reflex being skeptical about it, saying so, and sticking to this view no matter what.
I agree with this statement Malte. It is far too easy to stereo-type things like TV series from films as "bad". I don't really consider the series as worse than the sequels, although I still retain the view that the 1988 release should be the only one to go down in history as a truly great film.

Many of the features you credit the series with however should not be considered "new" as such. I seem to remeber you mentioning the fade out of the screen during danger scenes. This is a commonly used technique in the childrens animation TV world.

One thing I think the TV series is guilty of however is warping reality sometimes in order to have more fun. One example of this is the allowance of Chomper to stay in the great valley. Sure it's okay at the moment, but surely some of the adults would either be too proud to see that, like perhaps Cera's father, or foresighted enough to realise that one day Chomper will be forced to become a "nasty sharptooth" if he wants to survive. However, this is ignored in order to bring in a extra character who is already well-loved, which unless I think about it too hard, is fine by me.

The return of older characters is not a new concept either, I think that TV does it all of the time, trying to bring in more fans who want to see those characters again.

Overall I would rank the sequels and the TV series fairly close, although the sequels have that "epicness" which boosts them up a bit.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Many of the features you credit the series with however should not be considered "new" as such.
I never meant to say they were. The land before time TV series certainly doesn't come up with some totally new, revolutionary ideas in the field of movie making. We are certainly not talking of a production that is to change the definition of film-making :lol:
What I pointed out as "new" were things that had not, in this form, appeared in the original movie or the sequels.
One thing I think the TV series is guilty of however is warping reality sometimes in order to have more fun. One example of this is the allowance of Chomper to stay in the great valley. Sure it's okay at the moment, but surely some of the adults would either be too proud to see that, like perhaps Cera's father, or foresighted enough to realise that one day Chomper will be forced to become a "nasty sharptooth" if he wants to survive. However, this is ignored in order to bring in a extra character who is already well-loved, which unless I think about it too hard, is fine by me.
It certainly is something we ought to know more about. Perhaps the story about how and why Chomper and Ruby made it to the Great Valley would be stuff for a sequel movie. However, unlike some of the plotholes in the sequels I suppose there are ways to fill this plothole. I think it would be quite possible to write a story giving a plausible (by LBT standarts) explanation on how and why Chomper and Ruby came to the Valley and were tolerated there. The same does not apply to some of the plotholes in the sequels. For that reason the episode plotholes (those which I have seen so far, that is) could be interpreted like an invitation to complete the story (though I admit that this is a very TV-series producer friendly interpretation) while that possibility does not exist in case of some sequels' plotholes.
The return of older characters is not a new concept either, I think that TV does it all of the time, trying to bring in more fans who want to see those characters again.
In LBT it is something almost new. The only guest character who ever made a return in a speaking role is Chomper. Other than that we never saw a guest character from an earlier movie doing something in a later movie (elements such as Mo being shown in the song "Adventuring" are not exactly full scale "returns" of a character).
Overall I would rank the sequels and the TV series fairly close, although the sequels have that "epicness" which boosts them up a bit.
Some of the sequels certainly do, but it is difficult to pinpoint the term "epicness". It seems to suggest a longer story, but so long a story is good and well told can't a short story be epic too? Usually I would think of a very long (and coherent) tale as epic, but I'm not sure if length is the ne plus ultra in this case.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Mar 22 2008 on  11:55 AM
Some of the sequels certainly do, but it is difficult to pinpoint the term "epicness". It seems to suggest a longer story, but so long a story is good and well told can't a short story be epic too? Usually I would think of a very long (and coherent) tale as epic, but I'm not sure if length is the ne plus ultra in this case.
Epics are are a personal preference, and yes, I think that in order to be "epic" something has to be long. Although compared to most things I wouldn't class LBT as "epic" really, but just relative to the TV series.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some of the episodes could have, if some were added to them, could have been a movie, while some were the perfect length as they currently are.    The movies may have a more epic feel to them since the story lines were longer with more plot and plot points and elements, while the tv episodes are maybe 20 or slightly over 20 minutes, maybe about 1/3 the length of a movie, if that.  

Overall most of the episodes I find are pretty good, though how Chomper got accepted by the grown ups in the great valley would be a great plot or sub plot to a movie, or get explained in season 2, if there is one.  

In Return to Hanging Rock there are some more flashbacks of Ruby's earlier history, but still a lot is unexplained.   This could be explained more in a season 2 episode, or movie sequel.  Which would be great then Chomper would have been in 3 and not 2 movies.  Maybe they can explain also how Chomper's family and Ruby's knows each other, and how Ruby came to be asked to look after Chomper.  She mentions once or more that she was asked to look after Chomper by his parents I think she says and The Hidden Canyon a line something like, "Chomper wait, I can't look after you if I can't see you." Which seems to reinforce that she was asked to look after him.  It's not mentioned how long or until when.  

I still wonder why Ruby's family didn't go to the Great Valley before nor at the end of the Return to Hanging Rock.  It would be nice to explain why that too.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Overall, I think in terms of the younger audiance, this show is perfect. There are so many kids shows today that are completely new or original, and they are terrible (camp lazlo.... although maybe that isn't really considered a kid show in this aspect). This series was inspired by the movies before it, and in my opinion motivate the kids to watch the movies also to get a better understanding of the whole story.

In terms of those who have been fans of LBT since the beginning, this show isn't terrible, but it's not perfect. I find it nice how the TV show brings up the possibilities of returing characters like Ali, Shorty, Doc, etc... however, I don't feel the series did them justice. Think about it, Ali comes back, but you only here about her for one episode? The return of Ali should be a full scale movie, but is instead reduced to a 20 minute showing where she doesn't even have that much screentime. I do like how the series tries to remain true to the movies with the songs, some of them the same as from the actual movies, however I feel that the show also lacks in this aspect. The songs are mostly the same lyrics or same tune everytime, and above all some of them just get annoying (oops eeps...) However, some of the actors have nice singing talents (Cera).

Overall, the show is great for younger kids to watch, and its a nice way for us to get reaquainted with our favorite characters. However, it could have been better, but then again, it could have been worse.