The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

FBS's General Art

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
This will be the category where my Misc. Art will go, since, ya know, making a category for everything I've ever drawn would be a bit irrational....

I have tons, but I'll be submitting a few at a time to allow people to keep up. My first drawings:

Info: I drew this one during college class today, and as such, I had no reference for the birdies whatsoever. It's inspired by an original story I have, which in turn is inspired from a clip showing frigate birds harrassing other sea birds for their food and such. This is basically the main character, a red-billed tropic bird named Scarlet, having some...painful issues with the main antagonist, a frigate bird named Klepto. I didn't have much room for the larger of the two, as the purpose of the drawing is to practice with Scarlet's design. Klepto will get his own picture soon :D . Keep in mind, I've drawn this through memory alone, so there's bound to be inaccuracies! :lol:  Plus, I suck at birds and their blasted feathers, so please bear with me on that department :oops  :)

Info: These two are the only drawings I have for Jackie Chan Adventures, so no point in giving them their own category :^.^: !! The first one is Tso Lan, the Moon Demon who has the power to control gravity at will and can also blast things with strange purple energy. He seems to be highly intelligent and is entirely telepathic. He's awesome :lol . The second one is one of his siblings, Hsi Wu, the Sky Demon. The smallest and weakest of the 8 demons, he makes up for it in cunning and resourcefulness. His massive wings can carry him at great speeds and distances with minimal effort. Both these demons, and the rest of their demon brethren, have the shared ability to shape-shift and have extensive knowledge in the practice of magic, as well as immortality. These two are basically my favorite demons, and that's why they're the only ones I've drawn. The pics themselves I drew while I was bored in a friend's house. I had the episodes starring these two on my iPod and used the screenshots as reference. They're not perfect, but none of my drawings are :smile .

I'll be submitting more random pics later, when I'm not half-dead :) . Enjoy!!

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ooo...! Awesome drawing's FBS! I love them! Great work. ;)

ChaoticMistress

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Wow! You know you have alot of talent, since I can't draw birds anymore. Now when I do they look...strange to me now. xD But now I'm getting off topic. Anyway you might want to be more careful with the colouring, otherwise than that good job!  :smile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
The bird picture is gorgeous! Sure, there are some inaccuracies (I’ll get to those in a minute), but I immediately recognized the birds depicted, and am impressed that you were able to draw them this accurately from memory alone. I like the names, too. (Were you aware that the frigatebird’s lifestyle of bullying other birds for their food is scientifically known as “kleptoparasitism”?) I particularly like the way you drew Scarlet’s eyes, beak, and the pattern on her back. I also like the detail you put into Klepto’s beak, feet, and tail feathers. (I’ll worry about nitpicking him when he’s more centrally featured in a picture, but my first impressions are that he looks pretty good. :yes)

I had to compare your drawing with pictures of real tropicbirds to really identify any errors. This is what I came up with:

ï The barred markings on a tropicbird’s back are longer, narrower, and darker compared to your drawing, and extend partially onto the wings and the base of the tail.

ï In your picture, the leading edges of Scarlet’s wings are black. On a real tropicbird, this part of the wings is white, with the only black (besides the aforementioned barring) being towards the ends of the wings.

ï Scarlet’s tail feathers are somewhat larger than a real tropicbird’s. Also, the two long “streamers” should be right next to one another at the very center (there should be no other feathers between them).

ï Tropicbird legs (which are so short that when stretched out, their toes don’t even reach past their tail feathers; when tucked in during flight, they are barely visible) are yellow or pale gray, not red. The feet are strongly webbed (even the dewclaw is linked to the other toes with webbing) and partly black; they look kind of like the bird stepped in black paint. :p (The extent to which the paint oozed over their feet seems to vary; in some it’s the whole front half of the foot, in others most of the webbing is black but the toes are still largely “clean”. :P:)

Scarlet’s eye stripe is also a little differently shaped from a real tropicbird’s, but it would probably be safe to call that artistic license if you wanted. :p

Admittedly the wing feathers on Scarlet (especially her left wing) are a bit unnatural-looking, but it’s a good attempt, and definitely more realistic than most of the bird wings I’ve drawn. :yes The main problems I see is that all the remiges (the long flight feathers that fringe the trailing edge of the wing) and all of the coverts (the shorter feathers on the leading edge of the wing that overlay the remiges) are about the same length and shape.

I thought that maybe it would be helpful if I described to you the different types of feathers that make up a bird's wing:

First there are the primaries. These attach to the hand of the bird, and are the longest feathers on the wing. Their shape varies depending on the type of flight the wing is adapted for. (For example, on vultures and other inland soaring birds, the outermost primaries are deeply slotted to reduce drag.) The next group is the secondaries; these are attached to the forearm, adjacent to the primaries, and are somewhat shorter and broader. When the bird’s wing is folded, the secondaries overlap the primaries. (This is due to the wrist undergoing ulnar adduction; the human equivalent of this would be to bend your hand sideways until your pinky is parallel to your arm.) Another group of feathers is the tertials, which attach to the upper arm, and tend to be shorter and more symmetrical compared to the secondaries, but they’re not even all that visible in a lot of birds.

The coverts, as I mentioned before, are the feathers which lie atop the primaries, secondaries, and tertials. Depending on the species, there may be several overlapping rows of coverts, and their shape tends to vary according to the remiges they overlap (there are primary coverts, secondary coverts, etc.). The closer to the top (front edge) of the wing, the smaller, shorter, and less differentiated the coverts become.

One last feather group I should mention is the alula, a small cluster of short feathers attached to the thumb, which normally lie flat against the wing, but are spread forward when the bird slows down in flight (such as when coming in for a landing) to provide extra lift and thus prevent stalling.

Mind you, these groupings of feathers can’t always be identified so easily on a real bird. In different species, they may be more or less distinct. As far as tropicbirds go, it’s a bit of a challenge even to make out the coverts against the remiges (except against the outermost primaries).

If you looking for references, this page has several rather nice photos and videos of red-billed tropicbirds. (One video contains several real-life enactments of your picture! :wow And you should see the photos of tropicbird chicks; they’re so cute! :DD) This illustration also provides a good dorsal view of a tropicbird; it could be useful as a reference for the barring and other markings.

I also found some bird wing tutorials on DeviantArt, which I thought might help you with actually drawing the wings and feathers: 1, 2, 3, 4

Since I know literally nothing about Jackie Chan Adventures, I can't come up with much to say about the latter two pictures. :oops Still, they look very well done, and if the Chupacabra screenshot you posted in the captions section is anything to go by, they look like they match the art style of the show perfectly. For some reason, they remind me of something Wayne Barlowe would draw (the first demon especially). I find myself particularly liking the first one; I think it's the color scheme and the design of the head and hands (all four of them :p).

Keep making and posting artwork! :D As I’ve demonstrated, I won’t always be able to review right away, :p but I’ll certainly check out any new pictures you post. ;)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Got another picture to submit. This one once more done to make myself feel better. But I'll post it after I'm done replying, as usual!

Wow! You know you have alot of talent, since I can't draw birds anymore. Now when I do they look...strange to me now.

Birds are evil creatures to draw, so I don't blame ya!

Ooo...! Awesome drawing's FBS! I love them! Great work.

Thanks! They were certainly fun, if not difficult, to make.

The bird picture is gorgeous! Sure, there are some inaccuracies (I’ll get to those in a minute), but I immediately recognized the birds depicted, and am impressed that you were able to draw them this accurately from memory alone. I like the names, too. (Were you aware that the frigatebird’s lifestyle of bullying other birds for their food is scientifically known as “kleptoparasitism”?)

Thanks! I just wished I had references, but I gotta work with what I got: my own brain. Needless to say, I was nervous on every single detail before trying to relax myself by saying "These are cartoon-ish OCs, any subtle inaccuracies can be passed as an individual quirk". And yes, I am aware of kleptoparasitism (and I'm very fascinated by it) and that's what I named him for :D !

In your picture, the leading edges of Scarlet’s wings are black. On a real tropicbird, this part of the wings is white, with the only black (besides the aforementioned barring) being towards the ends of the wings.

:yes I knew they had black on their wings, but I couldn't remember where, so I improvised! :) I'll be sure to engrave that fact into my mind!

Tropicbird legs (which are so short that when stretched out, their toes don’t even reach past their tail feathers; when tucked in during flight, they are barely visible) are yellow or pale gray, not red. The feet are strongly webbed (even the dewclaw is linked to the other toes with webbing) and partly black; they look kind of like the bird stepped in black paint.

Thanks for that bit of info. I had no knowledge whatsoever on the color of the feet; almost all the images I've ever seen of these birdies are in flight, or sitting on the ground with their feet hidden. So I solved it by going: "Hey, her name's Scarlet, just make her feet red." :lol:

And thanks for all that info about the wing feathers. I was contemplating not to have any feather detail on the wings, but wanted to give it a try anyway. Reading you passage should definitely help my future attempt now that I know what I'm doing. And those clips of the birdies were great, especially the frigatebird ones. I notice all the "muggers" in the clip are females. Recalling all the clips of seen of this behavior, most of the attackers were female frigatebirds. But with them being of the larger gender, I shouldn't be too surprised. I guess that isn't too relevant, I just thought it was interesting.

Still, they look very well done, and if the Chupacabra screenshot you posted in the captions section is anything to go by, they look like they match the art style of the show perfectly. For some reason, they remind me of something Wayne Barlowe would draw (the first demon especially). I find myself particularly liking the first one; I think it's the color scheme and the design of the head and hands (all four of them ).

Thanks. It's one of the few pictures I actually had reference on! And I like the first one too; he's currently my favorite of all the demons. :^.^:

Now here's my next drawing. Since I was feeling so very down, I decided to draw a character I'm currently obsessing with in the hopes that the end result would cheer me up. This was the said 'result':

It's one of the drawings I think looks better without being colored. And really, Thumper's a pale little bugger (I'm even thinking he might be albino with his almost white coloration and red eyes), so there wasn't much choices of color for me to use anyway. Turning a CGI character into a 2D picture was harder than I thought, but I think I pulled it off quite nicely. :)

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Double post! My bad!! :p  :lol

Another pic, including dinosaurs this time!

I was soooooo utterly bored yesterday in class. So I doodled (and I really mean doodled) up this little piece. Let's see if you guys can guess what species these buggers are! Look closely and you can spot a tiny hidden Mickey Mouse!! There is a story behind this, but I'll give it out later as I'm in a huuuuuuge hurry right about now. Inspired by Jurassic Fight Club, though the larger dino has much more black than usual; that was done on purpose cause I love the color black! :p

Enjoy!!

Edit: Back!! Anyway, the colorations aren't great due to a few factors, like lack of the correct colors to use and it being really an effortless doodle especially where coloring is concerned, AKA I was too lazy to color properly :DD !! The story:

A simple little tale. The Spotted Dino in the pic (yes, she has a name and no, I'm not giving it out yet :p ) is the eldest child in her family. Her father was killed in a hunting accident and her mother was struck with a deadly illness. So instincts have her caring for her newly-hatched siblings, but she's not yet fully-grown nor experienced as a caretaker. Only one of her younger sisters survived long enough to leave the nest. With her little sibling loyally following close behind, Big Sister went off to look for a better home as their old home was becoming more and more inhospitable. Cue epic adventuring music!! Their journey ends when they find a rich new settlement unclaimed by anyone else and with easy prey for an inexperienced rookie to gather for herself and Little Sister. But then, one day, she returned to find Little Sister gone from her usual hiding place, tracks showing she ran off somewhere. Not even a second later, the Striped Dino in the picture showed up to challenge her for this piece of land, being an adolescent himself and needing a place to call home. Big Sister would normally be more than happy to retreat from her species' most hated rival, but she was determined to follow her sibling's trail and won't leave without her. Is Little Sister still alive? How will this confrontation end? Why won't I tell you? Because I'm thinking of making the actual story and I don't wanna give away the endings!  :P:

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ooo...dinosaurs! Awesome!

Very nice pics, FBS! I love them! Sorry I'm so late, I was so very busy this week. :wacko

And, a great picture of Thunper there! I don't know why but, I love the wings! They're really well done. :yes  Again, awesome pictures! You sure are a great artist. :^.^:

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I see the Mickey Mouse. It's on the spotted ones butt. Looks like big sister is intimidated by her foes' size. If you do things like this for practice or out sheer boredom, I can only imagine with joy how great your real work is!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Mar 2 2011 on  08:28 PM
Double post! My bad!! :p :lol
No, my bad. I meant to comment on your last picture, but I guess I procrastinated too long. :oops

I was really impressed by your Thumper picture. I recognized him immediately, even before I saw the name (of course, the picture in your signature probably helped :p). All the joints and segments on that character…he must have been a lot of work to draw. :o The arms and legs impress me the most. I love how spiny they are! :smile My love of the limbs extends to the hands and feet; they look really good! Same with the head (especially the eyes)! Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately; just wait for my review of the next picture :p), I haven’t seen A Bug’s Life in ages, so I can’t give you much feedback on how accurate he is.

I’m pretty confident in my guess that the two dinosaurs you have illustrated are Ceratosaurus (left) and Allosaurus (right). :p I like the colors and pattern on the Allosaurus, and the green eyes look neat on the Ceratosaurus. However, it occurs to me that the Ceratosaurus’s crests are awfully drab, considering they were probably used for display (although the Jurassic Fight Club people are at fault for that, given that that’s where you got the color scheme from. :p)

I’m rooting for the Ceratosaurus myself. Poor Ceratosaurus is always the one you see getting killed or chased away by Allosaurus. -_- In reality, the two were probably a lot less unequally matched than commonly portrayed. I’d like to see you write that story. :yes I’d be glad to offer some help on it, too; I have a book called Jurassic West that focuses exclusively on the ecology of the Morrison Formation, where Ceratosaurus nasicornis and Allosaurus fragilis are from. So if you need to know what species (plant, invertebrate, or dinosaur) your Ceratosaurus character would encounter, or what her environment should be like, you know who to ask. ;)

So this is a doodle, too, huh? Honestly, I don’t think any of the dozens of “serious” dinosaur drawings I made back in high school and middle school were this detailed. :P: That said, I can see several areas for improvement as far as anatomical accuracy, so here are some pointers:
  • The fleshy nostrils of dinosaurs (that is, the nostril opening that would have been visible in life) are now believed to have been positioned farther forward than traditionally illustrated, at the very front of the bony nostril (i.e. the opening in the skull where the nostril was situated). Rostral nostrils (no, I didn’t invent that rhyme :p) are more efficiently placed for performing the functions associated with the nose, and are the norm for almost all terrestrial vertebrates.

• Ceratosaurus is known for having exceptionally large teeth for a theropod of its size. In juveniles the tips of the longest teeth actually protruded past the bottom of the lower jaw. Adult Ceratosaurus’s teeth weren’t nearly so disproportionate, but they were still noticeably longer than Allosaurus’s.

• Theropod teeth were generally short at the tip of the jaws, becoming longer farther back, longest in the middle, and then becoming smaller again towards the back of the row. Also, if you were to draw a straight vertical line from the eye to the jaw of any theropod, you would find that there were no teeth in that part of the mouth; they were all farther forward.

• Both Ceratosaurus and Allosaurus’s eye crests were preorbital; they grew in front of the eyes, not behind them. Plus, Ceratosaurus’s nasal crest was much larger than that; both wider and taller than its preorbital crests. It also wasn’t perfectly triangular; but slightly convex on both sides. And the front of Allosaurus’s preorbital crests continued out into a very low, slightly bumpy ridge that ran along either side of the top of the snout, almost to the nostrils.

EDIT: Oh, right, your Ceratosaurus is a juvenile. :slap That would explain the smaller nasal crest. Still, Ceratosaurus’s “horn” was well developed even before it reached adult size; in fact, the type specimen of Ceratosaurus, which is the basis for most Ceratosaurus illustrations out there, is believed to have been a subadult, not yet fully grown.

• Ceratosaurus had shorter arms and much smaller claws than in your picture.

• Theropod hands could not pronate; that is, their wrists could not rotate so that the palms faced downward (like Ozzy and Strut, the Jurassic Park raptors, and the Jurassic Fight Club dinosaurs). The default position for the hands was for the palms to be facing each other (as if the dinosaur were about to clap).

• No archosaurs (that’s the group that contains dinosaurs, possibly pterosaurs, and crurotarsans; the crocodilians and their extinct Triassic relatives) are known to have had claws beyond the third digit on the forefoot; the fourth and fifth digits, if present, were always clawless.

• Theropods didn’t really have a shoulder hump like your Allosaurus and Ceratosaurus. The back was pretty much a single long, shallow curve from the hip to the neck (with a smooth, uninterrupted transition to the curve of the neck). Discounting spines, scutes, and other ornamentation, the top of a theropod’s body was basically one long, wavy line.

• Ceratosaurus had many more scutes on its back than that, and they were closer together. The row of scutes was also not interrupted at any point.

• Finally, contrary to the design of many of the dinosaurs in LBT, I cannot find a single up-to-date scientific illustration of any species that shows a dip or indentation between the chest and stomach. The underside was apparently just one uninterrupted line (with a variable degree of curve) from throat to hipbone.
For all the detailed advice I have to share, I think you’d find visual references even more helpful: This guy is a paleo-artist who specializes in dinosaur skeletal illustration. (He has his own website as well, but the drawings there aren’t as up-to-date as those on his DeviantArt account.) He’s done at least two drawings each of Allosaurus (subadult, subadult and adult) and Ceratosaurus (subadult, subadult and adult). Here’s
Here’s a life restoration of Ceratosaurus (based on the subadult type specimen) as well; it’s from Wikipedia, but I have at least one trustworthy source that approves of its quality.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Gots another pic, but me gotta reply first! :^.^:

Ooo...dinosaurs! Awesome!

Very nice pics, FBS! I love them! Sorry I'm so late, I was so very busy this week.

And, a great picture of Thunper there! I don't know why but, I love the wings! They're really well done.  Again, awesome pictures! You sure are a great artist.

Thanks!! And nor worries bout being late for Thumper's debut!  :lol: The wings were fun! If only I knew how to capture the glossiness of wings on paper and pencil... And yes, dinosaurs are awesome!!

I see the Mickey Mouse. It's on the spotted ones butt. Looks like big sister is intimidated by her foes' size. If you do things like this for practice or out sheer boredom, I can only imagine with joy how great your real work is!

Yayz!! You found the hidden Mickey!! That's a great way of putting it btw! :lol And thanks for the compliment and it makes me wonder...... I put lotsa effort on the majority of my actual drawings, but I wonder what a drawing with full-on dedication would look like.... Hmmmm...

No, my bad. I meant to comment on your last picture, but I guess I procrastinated too long.

:lol No problem!!

I was really impressed by your Thumper picture. I recognized him immediately, even before I saw the name (of course, the picture in your signature probably helped ). All the joints and segments on that character…he must have been a lot of work to draw.  The arms and legs impress me the most. I love how spiny they are!  My love of the limbs extends to the hands and feet; they look really good! Same with the head (especially the eyes)! Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately; just wait for my review of the next picture ), I haven’t seen A Bug’s Life in ages, so I can’t give you much feedback on how accurate he is.

I was scared to draw Thumper for a while, or any A Bug's Life character for that matter! Surprisingly, it was easier than I thought it would be. I guess it helps that I like drawing bugs on a regular basis. :D I'm so glad you find it awesome!!

I’m pretty confident in my guess that the two dinosaurs you have illustrated are Ceratosaurus (left) and Allosaurus (right).  I like the colors and pattern on the Allosaurus, and the green eyes look neat on the Ceratosaurus. However, it occurs to me that the Ceratosaurus’s crests are awfully drab, considering they were probably used for display (although the Jurassic Fight Club people are at fault for that, given that that’s where you got the color scheme from. )

I knew you'd be the one to guess it correctly!! Yayz!! :celebrate I used J.F.C. for the colors and the general models, especially for the Ceratosaurus, I don't know any other documentary that features it. I should've brought my dino books with me to class instead of trying to engrave the shows image into my head. But you know what, that is a good point.... Why would a display feature be so....uncolorful... The show states that it's the size of the horns that matters. *shrugs*

I’m rooting for the Ceratosaurus myself. Poor Ceratosaurus is always the one you see getting killed or chased away by Allosaurus.  In reality, the two were probably a lot less unequally matched than commonly portrayed. I’d like to see you write that story.  I’d be glad to offer some help on it, too; I have a book called Jurassic West that focuses exclusively on the ecology of the Morrison Formation, where Ceratosaurus nasicornis and Allosaurus fragilis are from. So if you need to know what species (plant, invertebrate, or dinosaur) your Ceratosaurus character would encounter, or what her environment should be like, you know who to ask.

I know!! Yes, in J.F.C., Allosaurus is my favorite fighter, but they seem to like demeaning Ceratosaurus to the point that you know they're just gonna kill it off. I feel sorry for the dinosaur. Like I said in the Jurassic Fight Club topic:

The Nitpicks:
They seem to be..... demeaning the Ceratosaurus. Yes, it's an earlier theropod than Allosaurus, but that doesn't neccesarily make it inferior to other dinosaurs or any less of an efficient carnivore. As my wise sister puts it: "Ceratosaurus is everyone's b**** in this show." I can't summarize it any better myself.

I'm not sure how accurate my nitpicks or compliments are in that topic, so maybe you can check on them on your free time.

Anyway, I'll definitely take that offer and cram it into my brain!! I'd like everything to be accurate in that story....except for, you know...the slightly-anthropomorphic characters. Only thing I'm not sure of is the extent of it: should I go with a Raptor Red-like level of anthropomorphic, or the Silverwing level?

The fleshy nostrils of dinosaurs (that is, the nostril opening that would have been visible in life) are now believed to have been positioned farther forward than traditionally illustrated, at the very front of the bony nostril (i.e. the opening in the skull where the nostril was situated). Rostral nostrils (no, I didn’t invent that rhyme ) are more efficiently placed for performing the functions associated with the nose, and are the norm for almost all terrestrial vertebrates.

1 point for Pangaea, 0 for Jurassic Fight Club. I'm gonna keep score of this and let's see who will win by the end of this!! :D

Ceratosaurus is known for having exceptionally large teeth for a theropod of its size. In juveniles the tips of the longest teeth actually protruded past the bottom of the lower jaw. Adult Ceratosaurus’s teeth weren’t nearly so disproportionate, but they were still noticeably longer than Allosaurus’s.

That was my fault :oops I knew the upper teeth were large (that about the only positive thing going for Ceratosaurus in JFC), but I didn't know how large to make it without our character looking goofy and stuff.

Theropod teeth were generally short at the tip of the jaws, becoming longer farther back, longest in the middle, and then becoming smaller again towards the back of the row. Also, if you were to draw a straight vertical line from the eye to the jaw of any theropod, you would find that there were no teeth in that part of the mouth; they were all farther forward.

That is also my fault!! :lol

Still, Ceratosaurus’s “horn” was well developed even before it reached adult size; in fact, the type specimen of Ceratosaurus, which is the basis for most Ceratosaurus illustrations out there, is believed to have been a subadult, not yet fully grown.

You learn something new every day!! JFC implied the fossibls found as adults. Hmmmmm...... Just for that, I'll award another point for Pangaea!

Ceratosaurus had shorter arms and much smaller claws than in your picture.

:lol Another point for Pangaea, JFC is being left in the dust!! In the show, the arms of Ceratosaurus were long enough to reach the face of Allosaurus and give it a good deep slash. In the show, the claws of the middle two fingers were quite large.

Theropod hands could not pronate; that is, their wrists could not rotate so that the palms faced downward (like Ozzy and Strut, the Jurassic Park raptors, and the Jurassic Fight Club dinosaurs). The default position for the hands was for the palms to be facing each other (as if the dinosaur were about to clap).

I believe another point for our awesome dino expert; JFC, your credibility really isn't very credible anymore. :smile

No archosaurs (that’s the group that contains dinosaurs, possibly pterosaurs, and crurotarsans; the crocodilians and their extinct Triassic relatives) are known to have had claws beyond the third digit on the forefoot; the fourth and fifth digits, if present, were always clawless.

:lol Another point for Pangaea. In JFC, the Ceratosaurus had claws on all four of its fingers.

Theropods didn’t really have a shoulder hump like your Allosaurus and Ceratosaurus. The back was pretty much a single long, shallow curve from the hip to the neck (with a smooth, uninterrupted transition to the curve of the neck). Discounting spines, scutes, and other ornamentation, the top of a theropod’s body was basically one long, wavy line.

Yeah, that one was me. I dunno why I do it, I guess it's just my style or something! LBT might have something to do with it!! Same with the last point!! :lol:

Ceratosaurus had many more scutes on its back than that, and they were closer together. The row of scutes was also not interrupted at any point.

Another Panagea point!! JFC's Ceratosaurus had some scutes on the neck, it stops for a bit at the base of the neck and shoulders, then continues. The winner of the game is none other than Pangaea!! Whoooooo!!!! :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

Maybe I should add some of these inaccuracies to my JFC Nitpicking list. Well, what can I expect from a show that has unfeathered raptors with the roundest shaped heads I've ever seen on a dinosaur... :blink:

Oh!! I gotta new picture done. Not of dinos, I'm afraid, but from one of my favorite Disney movies: The Lion King.

–This my new home.”
As he said that, he glared greedily at the Pridelands and then began to move down the hill again. Ed stopped when he heard a crying voice nearby. He went to investigate and saw a young hyena cub shaking an adult female hyena that had been killed. But Ed didn’t seemed to be shocked over what he saw. He still smiled the evil smile as he watched the cub shake his mother.
–Mommy wake up, we gotta go. The lion is gone, we got a go,” the cub cried.
–Your mom is dead,” Ed said in his new dark and spooky voice.
The cub was startled as he looked at Ed’s smiling face. He didn’t like the flashing eyes and how Ed seemed to smile at his misfortune.
–Who are you,” the cub didn’t recognize Ed. Not smiling like that and he had spoken normally instead of the old hyena languages.
–It doesn’t matter, this will soon be over,” said Ed and with that he attacked the cub and swallowed him in one piece.
Ed looked at the body of the hyena and started to eat it like mad. Soon, nothing was left of the hyena but few bones. Ed continued to walk towards Pridelands.

This pic and that little written scene holds something special to me. You see, years ago, I had a huuuuuuuuuugggggggeeeee obsession with The Lion King, which led me to find a story. I loved that fanfic very much, but soon, the obsession died. For a long time, I didn't pay much mind to the hyena fansite I found this on. But then, years later, my obsession resprouted and my memory of the story revealed itself. I went on a search......and couldn't find it at all.... The website I originally found it on was closed and I searched all over the internet for one little piece of that story (ah yes, my single-mindedness was showing itself). For a loooooooooooong time, I searched for it in vain. But then, I had a stroke of luck, found a hint of where I can find it, tracked that baby down, and finally found it!! I spazzed out, as expected!! Having learned my lesson, I saved it on my computer, so I can never lose sight of it again!

To express my happiness, I drew this up of one of my favorite scenes. Poor Ed died and his friends placed him in a burrow to rest in peace, but not without placing some strange black flowers around the grave site. Through some evil force, Ed's brought back, but not as the Ed we know and love. He's pure evil and insanely powerful, killing a lion easily. Unfortunately, the story's discontinued and most likely won't be progressing, which is a shame...... While 'Zombie Ed' is a....'secondary' character in a story that had a much larger plot, I really wanted to know how our main hyena and lion characters were going to react to him. I wonder if it's possible to write a fanfic for a fanfic....

Anyway, bout the picture. While not the first time I drew hyenas, it is the first time I drew them in LBT style. I'm please with how the picture in general came out. Of course, the background's anything but perfect, but I don't mind; I actually like how the sky came out.

Enjoy!!

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree, The Lion King is an amazing movie. It's truly one of the best.

Cheese and rice, Ed looks scary. He just has this...scary.. dark...malicious atmosphere that makes it look like he's a murderous, psyhcopatheic killer. But, that's how this story is and you did an excellent job at making Ed look like a lunetic.  ;)  But, I feel like his snout is a bit to short, maybe it should be a little longer because it just feels like it's more scrunched up than it should be.

The Hyena lying on the ground, is that Shenzi? Sure looks like it. And that cub, he looks so sad, just prodding at her like that, even in still-life, it makes me sad. The scene just looks so much like Mufasas' death when Simba was prodding and poking him...it just breaks my heart to see that.

That sky is so...depressing. It just adds this atmosphere to the scene that makes it just so...sad that you can't help but look at it with depressed eyes. It also adds a beautiful contrast with Ed's green eyes, giving him this evil atmosphere that just can't be ignored.

I see you've added Pride Rock in there, I like how it's just in the distance like an ill omen, just making sure that bad things are going to happen.

You've narrated the story so beautifully with art it's just awesome. I love it. Wow, that was my longest review yet. Well, that's what you get when I'm in a poetic mood and listening to scary music. :p

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I agree, The Lion King is an amazing movie. It's truly one of the best.

True that!! It's the second movie after LBT that I memorized word for word!! :lol:

Cheese and rice, Ed looks scary. He just has this...scary.. dark...malicious atmosphere that makes it look like he's a murderous, psyhcopatheic killer. But, that's how this story is and you did an excellent job at making Ed look like a lunetic.  But, I feel like his snout is a bit to short, maybe it should be a little longer because it just feels like it's more scrunched up than it should be.

Thanks!! Scary, dark, and malicious was what I was going for! And your right, the snout is a bit too short now that you mentioned it.... I'll be sure to pay extra attention to such if I draw Evil Ed again (or any TLK spotted hyena for that matter)!!

The Hyena lying on the ground, is that Shenzi? Sure looks like it. And that cub, he looks so sad, just prodding at her like that, even in still-life, it makes me sad. The scene just looks so much like Mufasas' death when Simba was prodding and poking him...it just breaks my heart to see that.

Nah, thankfully not. If it was, I'd be bawling my eyes out! Thankfully the writer was merciful and has yet to introduce Evil Ed to Banzai and Shenzi (who are such in a tight situation of their own). Something tells me something bad would happen if they met...

Argh, that Simba scene....I always cry on that!!

That sky is so...depressing. It just adds this atmosphere to the scene that makes it just so...sad that you can't help but look at it with depressed eyes. It also adds a beautiful contrast with Ed's green eyes, giving him this evil atmosphere that just can't be ignored.

I had fun with the sky, which is saying something considering how much I hate backgrounds. It's good to know that it's doing its intended purpose to make a sad scene even sadder. I was hoping Ed's eyes would stand out too. Truthfully, they glow, but I can't draw things glowing so I just gave it as much contrast as possible.

I see you've added Pride Rock in there, I like how it's just in the distance like an ill omen, just making sure that bad things are going to happen.

Bad things will happen to Pride Rock if Ed every gets there! He'll probably wipe out every lion in the pride! But at the same time, that's what makes him so awesome to me. Plus....Pride Rock's an icon.... I couldn't just leave it out!  :D

You've narrated the story so beautifully with art it's just awesome. I love it. Wow, that was my longest review yet. Well, that's what you get when I'm in a poetic mood and listening to scary music.

Thank you!! I love your reviews and this one's a special treat! Ooo, scary music! I wants to listen to scary music too!! :DD

Oh! And before I submit this and forget (I was just about to hit the submit button too!! That was a close one!!), I got two more pics done!!

This one's another Lion King one, but of an OC of mine!

Her name's Alala (her name means Lost One) and she's a striped hyena. I tried to keep to the Lion King's style of hyenas while at the same time, giving the needed difference since she's a different species than the ones we're used to. There's lotsa mistakes here, but I like how it turned out. This was done during Oral Communications class where people were giving boring speeches and I needed to draw something!! :lol: Lots of my classmates liked it, so I decided to post it here too!

The story behind her:
She was orphaned as a pup and only survived because of a friendly lioness who took pity on her. Growing up with lions had advantages and disadvantages. Although she had more than her fill of food, she was treated like an outcast. So when she was old enough, she set out on her own, on a mission to find her mother, unaware of her fate. Along the way, she meets friends and enemies (and in my imagined fanfic-for-a-fanfic story, she had a run-in with Evil Ed. Yipes!! :blink: ). A simple little story.

The second pic is with another OC, but this one a bit more familiar.

Here's Klepto again, but this time with another OC, which for once, doesn't belong to me. Ya see, in the RP I'm doing with my best friend, we bring in tons of our animal OCs, just to see how they interact with each other. I decided to bring in my Frigatebird OC, Klepto (hey, Scarlet has her own story; Klepto needs some attention too!) while my friend brought in her Scissor Tailed Flycatcher character. The general story:

Through the actions of humans (though this isn't confirmed in the RP, it's the only explanation :unsure: ), Coral ended up on the shores of a Galapagos island where she was quickly found by Klepto, who immediately took an interest in eating the newcomer. Ya know, just to see what the little birdy tastes like. However, during the 'chase' (it was more of a game to Klepto), the Frigatebird was caught off guard by a stray wave and was plunged into the ocean (it sucks being a seabird that can't swim). But luckily, Coral is a good bird and although he tried to kill her, she couldn't stand the thought of him dying. So she fluttered on over to the drowned bird's body and managed to pull him to safety. After being revived, Klepto decided that he owed her one BIG time. Learning that she wasn't from around here, he made the promise to return her home, wherever it may be. Insert epic adventure music as they set off all around to globe to get Coral back where she belonged. And when the little land birdie is too tired to flap over the open oceans, our big water birdie is 'considerate' enough to let her ride on his back. He claims that it's to avoid slowing them down, but we all know that he's growing fond of his new little companion! :lol

The content is showing a special scene in our RP. Their quest is interrupted by the Frigatebird breeding season and Klepto was intent to try his luck. But, like every breeding season before this, he's pushed out of the Breeding Tree by his older siblings. Although he refused to give up and displayed where he can (as he does every season), he fails once more to claim a mate. Understandably, this get him in a very sulky and irritated mood and Coral flutters over to try and cheer him up. She's such a sweet little birdie.

References? Yes!! This is one of the few pictures I actually had references on!! For Coral, my friend sent a pic of her when she was first introduced and I used that. Klepto, I have a big book of animals and one of them is a neat illustration of a Magnificent Frigatebird, so I used that!

The drawing itself? I used as little feather detail as I possibly could and the 'white highlights' on Coral's wing was more or less random. The feathers on Klepto's back was more realistic on paper, but we all know my scanner's need to neonize green, so that showed much more than the other colors used. Oh well, I like how the general pic came out, so I can't be too picky.

Enjoy!!!

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Woo! More pictures!

And your right, the snout is a bit too short now that you mentioned it.... I'll be sure to pay extra attention to such if I draw Evil Ed again (or any TLK spotted hyena for that matter)!!

Glad to be of service. :^.^:

For the Hyena, I like it. I think the color and the shape of it all go together but, the neck doesn't align with the top of the stomach, other than that, I really like it. Her name suit's her well, geez, she just looks so lost.  I like her pattern, I think it's uniquely...AWESOME!!!! :DD

OMGZ!!!!!! Da big bird looks sooooo angry!!!! :lol  Seriously though, he looks majorly p'd, but I like the design. Green feathers...dats awesome sauce!

Da little bird looks majorly cute! I wanna hug it! I love the pink, the blue, the gray, and the black!!! They all go together pretty nicely. :^.^: And the little birdy smile! It'z zo cute!!!!! Seriously, the little one looks like it's smiling, or maybe that's just me. :unsure:

Oh my goodness gracious...I think I'm becoming a real reviewer. :blink: Instead of those kinky little one liners, I'm writing tons of sentences! RUN!!!!! It's the sign of the apocalypse!!!!!!! *runs away* Anyway, real nice job on those two pictures and I look forward to seeing more!

Awesome sauce is a trademarked sign of official awesomeness that cannot be used in any sentence, paragraph, words, or letters other than if they're made by me. If you want to use the words, contact me at MEIZAWESOMESAUCE@gmail.com. Note, this is not a real e-mail adress and will not become real under any circumstances, if you don't like that rule...go fluff a duck. When using this word some side effects may occur like, dizzyness because of too much awesomeness, glittery eyes, loud shouting, and randomness apon standing. If you are recieving any of these symptoms, Awesome sauce Inc. will not be held responsible under civil judgement and please contact your local awesomeness department immedietely. Go look at my profile for our trademarked logo. AND YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THAT EITHER!!!!! Have a nice day.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I can't believe I made you wait over two weeks for my feedback! :bang I'm so sorry! :oops These days I've been multitasking so much that I've been having a hard time concentrating on any one thing. As it is, I’m afraid I’m going to have to limit my comments on each picture, because I can’t afford to spend a lot of time.

Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Mar 4 2011 on  10:28 PM
I used J.F.C. for the colors and the general models, especially for the Ceratosaurus, I don't know any other documentary that features it.
Ceratosaurus also appeared in a Walking With Dinosaurs-style Discovery Channel program called When Dinosaurs Roamed America. It got killed by an Allosaurus there, too. <_< (The show also incorrectly stated that Ceratosaurus was the last member of its family, when in fact it was one of the earliest members of the Ceratosauria clade.)

But you know what, that is a good point.... Why would a display feature be so....uncolorful... The show states that it's the size of the horns that matters. *shrugs*
Yet they gave the Allosaurus bright red preorbital crests. Are they trying to make Allosaurus look better than Ceratosaurus? :rolleyes

Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Mar 4 2011 on  10:28 PM
Like I said in the Jurassic Fight Club topic:
The Nitpicks:
They seem to be..... demeaning the Ceratosaurus. Yes, it's an earlier theropod than Allosaurus, but that doesn't neccesarily make it inferior to other dinosaurs or any less of an efficient carnivore. As my wise sister puts it: "Ceratosaurus is everyone's b**** in this show." I can't summarize it any better myself.
I'm not sure how accurate my nitpicks or compliments are in that topic, so maybe you can check on them on your free time.
I have definitely thought about doing just that. However, these days I've been having a hard time committing myself to writing any post of considerable length, so I'm sorry to say that I can't promise that it will be soon. :oops

Only thing I'm not sure of is the extent of it: should I go with a Raptor Red-like level of anthropomorphic, or the Silverwing level?
Somehow I imagined it as more of a Raptor Red-style story while looking at that picture (maybe with a slightly higher level of anthropomorphism).

Ceratosaurus is known for having exceptionally large teeth for a theropod of its size. In juveniles the tips of the longest teeth actually protruded past the bottom of the lower jaw. Adult Ceratosaurus’s teeth weren’t nearly so disproportionate, but they were still noticeably longer than Allosaurus’s.
That was my fault :oops I knew the upper teeth were large (that about the only positive thing going for Ceratosaurus in JFC), but I didn't know how large to make it without our character looking goofy and stuff.
Truthfully, juvenile Ceratosaurus were pretty goofy-looking. :p Or you might say that they straddle the line between “goofy” and “terrifying”. Here's some pictures to show you what I mean:
ï a museum mount, mouth wide open
ï another museum mount, with Dryosaurus, front and side.
ï museum mount, mouth closed
ï a life restoration

Moving on…

Although that story sounds far too dark for my tastes (poor Ed! And I like him better when he doesn’t speak :p), you did a fantastic job drawing Lion King-(I assume you meant LK, not LBT :p)-style hyenas. The cub is so cute! :DD Poor thing. :( (Like LBTDiclonius, I was reminded a lot of the scene in the movie when Simba finds Mufasa’s body after the stampede.) And although the background is fairly simple, it suits the tone of the scene well. (I like the little clumps of grass, and I think you did a nice job on Pride Rock. :yes)

It might please you to know that the moment I saw Alala, I thought “Hey, a Lion King-style striped hyena!” It’s also apparent that she has a very different personality from the LK hyenas we’re familiar with. Great name, too. (I love meaningful names! :smile)

I have four suggestions for making the character more anatomically similar to a real striped hyena. First, her hind legs look awfully short; striped hyenas are pretty lanky. Second, I would make her stripes darker; about as dark as her mane is now. Also, a striped hyena’s tail is unstriped (although some are dark at the tip). Third, striped hyenas have dark faces and throats (although it does look like you included the eye patches). Finally, striped hyenas are shaggier than that. Their manes tend to be rather fluffy along the entire length of the neck and back (I suspect that, like the manes of the Visayan warty pigs that I showed you in my vacation thread, they stand on end when the hyena is excited or agitated: *evidence* :lol), and the fur on their sides and bellies is longer as well. Striped hyena manes seem to vary in color; they can be black, or the same light gray as the rest of the color, or light gray hairs with black tips (like this individual).

Despite your stated difficulties with drawing feathers, I’m starting to really like how you draw birds. The picture of Klepto and Coral is fantastic! I love how you gave them realistic birds’ eyes, but still managed to make them so expressive. And the detail on Klepto is astounding. His beak, his toes, the markings on his gular pouch, even his wings look great to me (you did a spectacular job drawing them folded :yes). By the way, where’d he get that bunch of leaves on his back? Did they just get stuck in his feathers when he fell out of the tree, or does he think he looks good in a cape? :p

I admit I didn’t recognize what Coral was supposed to be, :oops though the fact that she’s a bird from the south-central U.S. (with a name that I automatically associated with reefs) hanging out with a tropical seabird probably threw me off. :p I like her colors, although they’re a little brighter (bluer and pinker, respectively) than a real scissor-tailed flycatcher’s, and it occurs to me that you might not have intended for them to be that way. Maybe you could add a little orange next time if you wanted to offset the pink.

Coral’s beak is a little hard to see against Klepto’s feathers, but it’s pretty much an unavoidable issue (and it does look like you tried to differentiate the shades). However, her beak should have a slight hook at the end, with a thin, sharp tip. Other than that, her tail feathers are the one area that I think could use some work. They don’t look quite straight enough to me, and I think they merge a little too much with the underside of her body.

By the way, although scissor-tailed flycatchers breed in the U.S., they winter in central America, as far south as Panama. So it is conceivable that she could have been blown off course while migrating and ended up in the Gal·pagos without the “help” of humans.

Quote from: LBTDiclonius,Mar 9 2011 on  10:54 PM
Awesome sauce is a trademarked sign of official awesomeness that cannot be used in any sentence, paragraph, words, or letters other than if they're made by me. If you want to use the words, contact me at MEIZAWESOMESAUCE@gmail.com. Note, this is not a real e-mail adress and will not become real under any circumstances, if you don't like that rule...go fluff a duck. When using this word some side effects may occur like, dizzyness because of too much awesomeness, glittery eyes, loud shouting, and randomness apon standing. If you are recieving any of these symptoms, Awesome sauce Inc. will not be held responsible under civil judgement and please contact your local awesomeness department immedietely. Go look at my profile for our trademarked logo. AND YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THAT EITHER!!!!! Have a nice day.
FlipperBoidSkua, do you know if spazziness is, by any chance, contagious? :p :lol

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Pangaea,Mar 22 2011 on  11:59 PM
Ceratosaurus also appeared in a Walking With Dinosaurs-style Discovery Channel program called When Dinosaurs Roamed America. It got killed by an Allosaurus there, too. <_< (The show also incorrectly stated that Ceratosaurus was the last member of its family, when in fact it was one of the earliest members of the Ceratosauria clade.)
Actually from what I read, Ceratosauria is the name of the Infraorder, not the Family. The Family that Ceratosaurus belonged to was Ceratosauridae. From what I read in a book I have on dinosaurs (a few years old though) Ceratosaurus was indeed the last of its family, or one of the last ones. As for Ceratosauria, that Infraorder supposedly lasts into the late Cretaceous.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The film’s exact words were “Ceratosaurus is the last of its kind”. It didn’t specify the cladistic level; I was using “family” in the vernacular sense (a lapse in scientificness on my part; sorry). I still think it was referring to Ceratosauria, not Ceratosauridae specifically. Something I had forgotten when I made my earlier statement was that Coelophysoidea was considered part of Ceratosauria at the time When Dinosaurs Roamed America was made; prior to the Ceratosaurus segment, the coelophysoids Coelophysis, “Syntarsus”, and Dilophosaurus (which actually may not have even been a coelophysoid) had been featured, and used to illustrate theropod evolution. It implied that that was the lineage of which Ceratosaurus was the last surviving member. So what I said about Ceratosaurus being the first of its group didn’t really have anything to do with the film’s error (sorry again :oops); the mistake it made was not taking into account the abelisauroids, which lived later than Ceratosaurus and belonged to the same group.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
What threw me off was the family bit. Maybe wiki was wrong, but it has ceratosauridae as the family and ceratosauria as the infraorder. That's what confused me.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Wow.....this is a lot for me to respond to... :blink: Well, better get busy!! :D

For the Hyena, I like it. I think the color and the shape of it all go together but, the neck doesn't align with the top of the stomach, other than that, I really like it. Her name suit's her well, geez, she just looks so lost. I like her pattern, I think it's uniquely...AWESOME!!!!

Thank you!! A striped hyena needs more recognition, and I couldn't help myself! I'm currently resisting the urge to make a Fennec Fox TLK character, though I'm wondering how that's gonna play out....

OMGZ!!!!!! Da big bird looks sooooo angry!!!! Seriously though, he looks majorly p'd, but I like the design. Green feathers...dats awesome sauce!

Da little bird looks majorly cute! I wanna hug it! I love the pink, the blue, the gray, and the black!!! They all go together pretty nicely. And the little birdy smile! It'z zo cute!!!!! Seriously, the little one looks like it's smiling, or maybe that's just me.

His life is sucking, so being majorly pissed should be understandable :lol: I still don't like how the feather turned out greener than they were on paper, but there's nothing I can do with our freaky scanner and it's green-obsession!!

And yes, Coral is a pretty birdie. My friend picked her because of the colors and although she was certain the picture was of a male bird, she didn't care in the slightest!! Really, looking it up on google, I have a strong feeling the male and female bird look alike, which is a good sign for accuracy!!

Oh my goodness gracious...I think I'm becoming a real reviewer. Instead of those kinky little one liners, I'm writing tons of sentences! RUN!!!!! It's the sign of the apocalypse!!!!!!! *runs away* Anyway, real nice job on those two pictures and I look forward to seeing more!

Ahhhhh!!! The apolocalypse!!! It doesn't help that I've been playing Left 4 Dead a lot lately!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

I IZ STEALIN YOUR AWESOME SAUCE!!!

I can't believe I made you wait over two weeks for my feedback!  I'm so sorry!  These days I've been multitasking so much that I've been having a hard time concentrating on any one thing. As it is, I’m afraid I’m going to have to limit my comments on each picture, because I can’t afford to spend a lot of time.

It's not a problem!! I'm practicing my multi-tasking skills and it's not easy!!

Ceratosaurus also appeared in a Walking With Dinosaurs-style Discovery Channel program called When Dinosaurs Roamed America. It got killed by an Allosaurus there, too.

Yet they gave the Allosaurus bright red preorbital crests. Are they trying to make Allosaurus look better than Ceratosaurus?

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. :rolleyes: I love Allosaurus, it's one of my favorites, but they're giving people bad impressions for poor Ceratosaurus....

I have definitely thought about doing just that. However, these days I've been having a hard time committing myself to writing any post of considerable length, so I'm sorry to say that I can't promise that it will be soon.

Take your time!! I'm very patient and sometimes take a while to make my replies!! *hugz for no reason other than the fact that I'm feeling SPAZZY!!! Well...spazzier than usual...*

PHOTOS!!! Of Ceratosaurus bones!!!! SQUEEEEEE!!! WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! *bounces off the walls as I also try to keep from cracking up at the last Restoration picture*

Although that story sounds far too dark for my tastes (poor Ed! And I like him better when he doesn’t speak ), you did a fantastic job drawing Lion King-(I assume you meant LK, not LBT )-style hyenas. The cub is so cute!  Poor thing.  (Like LBTDiclonius, I was reminded a lot of the scene in the movie when Simba finds Mufasa’s body after the stampede.) And although the background is fairly simple, it suits the tone of the scene well. (I like the little clumps of grass, and I think you did a nice job on Pride Rock. )

Ed did sound evil when he gave that evil snicker before Scar's death.  :DD I'm in love with the story, but then again, I love dark stories!! Ugh, sooo maaaaaannnnyyyy LLLLLL's!! I guess mixing up LBT and TLK can be a common mistake!! :lol:

I was contemplating whether to give the cub spots or not, but in real life, spotted hyenas don't get spots until later. Then again, TLK isn't very accurate with the hyenas, but I tried to add a bit of realism!! The clumps of grass are my favorite feature, though I feel I can do better with Pride Rock. Oh, well!! ^^

It might please you to know that the moment I saw Alala, I thought “Hey, a Lion King-style striped hyena!” It’s also apparent that she has a very different personality from the LK hyenas we’re familiar with. Great name, too. (I love meaningful names! )

Yay!! She recognizable!!! I tried to keep as close to the TLK-style hyenas as possible. Really the only difference I made was the stripes, the longer mane, and the bushy tail!! And I'm glad both you and LBTD love her name, it took me a while to decide.

I have four suggestions for making the character more anatomically similar to a real striped hyena. First, her hind legs look awfully short; striped hyenas are pretty lanky. Second, I would make her stripes darker; about as dark as her mane is now. Also, a striped hyena’s tail is unstriped (although some are dark at the tip). Third, striped hyenas have dark faces and throats (although it does look like you included the eye patches). Finally, striped hyenas are shaggier than that. Their manes tend to be rather fluffy along the entire length of the neck and back (I suspect that, like the manes of the Visayan warty pigs that I showed you in my vacation thread, they stand on end when the hyena is excited or agitated: *evidence* ), and the fur on their sides and bellies is longer as well. Striped hyena manes seem to vary in color; they can be black, or the same light gray as the rest of the color, or light gray hairs with black tips (like this individual).

Sounds like reasonable stuff to me!!! Though the dark muzzle part I purposely avoided. When I sketched it out, it made her look like a male since TLK spotted hyena males had dark muzzles. Also: *cracks up!!* All these funny pictures!!! Your gonna make me burst a gut!! I'm already full of crippled organs from the Ceratosaurus and the mohawk piggy pictures!! :lol  :lol  :lol

Despite your stated difficulties with drawing feathers, I’m starting to really like how you draw birds. The picture of Klepto and Coral is fantastic! I love how you gave them realistic birds’ eyes, but still managed to make them so expressive. And the detail on Klepto is astounding. His beak, his toes, the markings on his gular pouch, even his wings look great to me (you did a spectacular job drawing them folded ). By the way, where’d he get that bunch of leaves on his back? Did they just get stuck in his feathers when he fell out of the tree, or does he think he looks good in a cape?

Squeeee!!! My birdie pictures are improving!!!! All I'm saying is that folded wings are soooooooooo much nicer to be than spread wings....Drawing Klepto in flight....Drawing Coral in flight....Dear Zotz, at least Klepto would barely flap his wings.... :blink: And yay on amazing detail!! I should use references more often!!  :lol  :lol Leaves... :lol  :lol I apologize on behalf of my scanner!!  :smile But....him in a cape...Hmmmm....I was already contemplating dressing him up as a pirate and a extra pic of him in a cape sounds like a great idea!!!!

I admit I didn’t recognize what Coral was supposed to be,  though the fact that she’s a bird from the south-central U.S. (with a name that I automatically associated with reefs) hanging out with a tropical seabird probably threw me off.  I like her colors, although they’re a little brighter (bluer and pinker, respectively) than a real scissor-tailed flycatcher’s, and it occurs to me that you might not have intended for them to be that way. Maybe you could add a little orange next time if you wanted to offset the pink.

I wouldn't have been able to recognize Coral either. Before our RP, I had no idea there was a bird like her!! :oops Orange....ya know, not too long ago, I was wondering how to make a salmon-ish color without the actualy color and mixing pink and orange sounds close.......EXPERIMENT TIME!!!

Coral’s beak is a little hard to see against Klepto’s feathers, but it’s pretty much an unavoidable issue (and it does look like you tried to differentiate the shades). However, her beak should have a slight hook at the end, with a thin, sharp tip. Other than that, her tail feathers are the one area that I think could use some work. They don’t look quite straight enough to me, and I think they merge a little too much with the underside of her body.

Yeah, I guess the different shade thing didn't work as well as I had hoped. But hey, I tried!! I also tried to darken the outlines of her beak, didn't really help. But I'm glad you noticed my shading efforts!! And got it!! The reference pic didn't really show much detail except for the coloration, so I winged it (no pun intended) with her beak. I also don't like the base of her tail, but it was too late to fix and I really didn't wanna redraw it.......... :D

By the way, although scissor-tailed flycatchers breed in the U.S., they winter in central America, as far south as Panama. So it is conceivable that she could have been blown off course while migrating and ended up in the Gal·pagos without the “help” of humans.

Ooooo!!! A logic I didn't know about!! I iz learning!!!!! So maybe humans are innocent on this one, we may never know!! Currently, Coral's past is a mystery in our RP!!

FlipperBoidSkua, do you know if spazziness is, by any chance, contagious?

I hope so!!! Then you will turn into one of us!!! Mwahahahahahahaha!!!!!! *cough*

NOTE: Expect another post!!! I'm gonna put up a few more pics, but one of them needs to be scanned first!!! Seeing my daddy's possessive behavior over the computer, this might take a bit! *waits patiently for daddy to head off for bed!!*

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Double Post!!  :lol

Alright. I wanna submit three new pics!!

First up, the one Pangaea's been eagerly awaiting!

A pic fondly called Riding Shotgun. Ya see, there's a documentary called Alien Planet that's based on the book Expedition. I love it. It basically shows what scientist believe is living out there in space. Inevitably, it was included in a RP with a friend (the same RP as Klepto and Coral). My friend hasn't seen it before, but happily agreed to go through with it. She created that green character who's of a totally made up species that's also the last of her kind. For a while she was known as Nameless and was eventually 'renamed' Emerald much later in the story. I played the Skewer (the big thing) named Piercer and the Daggerwrist (the one riding in front) named Slicer.

Anywho, the basic plot behind this pic?
Piercer, on a search for his missing mate, picked up some unwanted hitch-hikers during a hunting trip. Attempts to dislodge them doesn't really work, so he basically chose to ignore them and wait for them to slip off on their own. Night falls and Piercer falls asleep (I assume Skewers sleep in flight), Nameless/Emerald is half asleep while Slicer's awake, thinking of a plan to get off this dangerous predator without getting themselves killed.

References?
Yes and no. The Skewer, I used the pictures in Expedition (I love that book so much). Slicer....I drew Daggerwrists enough to draw them fairly accurately from memory. Nameless/Emerald was based completely on my friend's description of her.

Also, just wanna let two things off my chest about this pic:
I ain't good at scaling!!  :D The Skewer has a fifty-foot wingspan and the Daggerwrist is the size of a full-grown man. Nameless was described as being slightly larger than Slicer. Second: yes, holding on to a creature flying more the 300mph would probably be impossible *shrug*, but in the RP, logic means NOTHING :lol !!!

My second pic was drawn primarily to play with on my computer's paint and photoshop, so it isn't the best of my drawings. Luckily, I still have the original untainted copy, which I will post (shield your eyes to protect yourself from the crappiness!!) :

Cetaceans!!! Another one of my fave mammals!! Basically a half-hearted drawing of a scene that takes place in yet another of my unwritten original stories (sheesh, I have the plot and stuff for these unwritten works, I just have to get off my lazy butt to actually write them!!).

General Story:
Anika, the common dolphin, was seperated from her pod and is on a mission to be reunited with her family and friends. Along the way, she meets the friendly dall's porpoise, Paci, who decides to help in her journey. They meet with all sorts of adventures and misadventures, all the while, keeping a sharp eye out for Top Notch, the lone transient orca. They also come across other dangers, like sharks and humans, but their most devastating encounter was with a pair of male bottlenose dolphins (Bottlenose dolphins: the A-holes of the animal kingdom, but I still love them!). They almost kill Paci and start torturing Anika. All that is interrupted when Top Notch made an appearance and, thoroughly ticked off with what the bottlenoses were doing with HIS prey, he killed them both. Top Notch spares the girls for now, allowing them a fair head start before he resumes hunting them. The ending....I won't give away anymore than I already have.

In this pic, Top Notch has killed one dolphin and sends the other away, letting him feel like he's being spared, just before Top Notch changes his mind and kills him too.

References? Only for the coloration of Anika and the bottlenose (using that giant ANIMAL book you see everywhere). The bottlenose should be darker, but I like this design alot, so I kept it. Again, scaling didn't matter much to me here as this was just an experiment to practice with on my computer. But I did try to keep the general sizes fairly accurate for the species, age, and gender. :smile

There should be blood in this pic and the corpse of the second dolphin, but I decided not to get morbid  :D . Also: TRANSIENT ORCAS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

And the last pic, to satisfy a new obsession of mine, I drew a fun-pic!! I did it cause I was feeling spazzier than usual!! So....What happens after I finally get the game Left 4 Dead and won't stop playing it? I introduce it to my friend in RP-ing!! She never played L4D, so I explained to her that it's another 'zombie' apocalypse game (I say 'zombie' in quotes cause they're still alive, only Infected with a rabies-like virus that mutates them). What I love about the game is that I get to play as one of the 'bad guy' Infected (Hunter and Smokers FTW)!! Anywho, she created a human (yes, her hair is supposed to be green, don't ask! :lol: ) and we agreed on a plot. I play an Infected called Hunter and he decided that instead of eating this human, he wants a pet!!! A pet human!! Of course, his friends refuse to let him and the result? This:

They let him keep her after that. Poor Smoker, he bit off his own tongue. No worries, it'll grow back in a few minutes! :smile And speaking of Smoker tongues...Yeah, our human's been wrapped up in a Smoker's tongue. Not the same Smoker as the one in the pic, but by some random one that wanted to steal Hunter's pet to eat. Looking at this pic, it's obvious to see who won that scuffle.

Poor girl, all she hears is a very very very loud screech from our upset Hunter. As if him sitting on her isn't enough...

I wanted to do a background, but got sooooooo freakin' lazy on coloring by the time I started coloring the words and stuff. So nyah.... This is also one of the few, if only, times I recall drawing something even remotely human-like. Animals are my strong point and I'm not to fond of drawing people. This, and the other L4D pics I have, will probably be the only time.

Hope you guys like these!!

Caodao2

• Ruby
    • View Profile