The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Is the earthquake in this one......

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I ask this because PokePlayer made this comment about Bron's flashback:

With what I heard, he got back just as "The Great Earthshake" hit. From that perspective, I can not blame Bron for not finding them, especially with the fact the nest was gone. That earthquake was HUGE! It even beats the one in LBT 9. T

Comparing an earthquake in a sequel to an earthquake in a sequel is one thing, but the original earthquake to one in a sequel like the sequel one is more well known? Makes me wonder if they were two different earthquakes.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think it was like worldwide earthquakes after contintental shifting n volcanoes and what-not considering how much the land went up and down and created absolutely huge rifts in the barren lands

edit: also I wonder if the land being very dry; since barely any plants; had anything to do with it

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The earthquakes in 1 and 10 must be the same earthquake, because 10 shows the same time period from Bron's perspective. Of course, it is possible that they are different earthquakes, but this just complicates the story and doesn't give it any additional explanatory power. So, until evidence to the contrary surfaces, one earthquake it is.

While the sun is a far more energetic force than the hot interior of our planet, the sun damages the land horizontally, spending almost all its energy into turning layer after layer of ground to sand. This is a very energy-intensive process. Only a very small portion of this energy goes deeper into the ground, so the sun is very bad at making cracks in the ground. The deepest cracks in very dry land can be up to a few meters deep. On the other hand, earthquakes, though containing minuscule amounts of energy compared to the total energy of light that hits the Earth's surface, damage the land vertically, and crack through kilometers of rock. So, the tiny cracks made by the sun will be of little to no help to earthquakes when they make their own cracks.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: jansenov,Jul 30 2015 on  04:30 PM
The earthquakes in 1 and 10 must be the same earthquake, because 10 shows the same time period from Bron's perspective. Of course, it is possible that they are different earthquakes, but this just complicates the story and doesn't give it any additional explanatory power. So, until evidence to the contrary surfaces, one earthquake it is.

While the sun is a far more energetic force than the hot interior of our planet, the sun damages the land horizontally, spending almost all its energy into turning layer after layer of ground to sand. This is a very energy-intensive process. Only a very small portion of this energy goes deeper into the ground, so the sun is very bad at making cracks in the ground. The deepest cracks in very dry land can be up to a few meters deep. On the other hand, earthquakes, though containing minuscule amounts of energy compared to the total energy of light that hits the Earth's surface, damage the land vertically, and crack through kilometers of rock. So, the tiny cracks made by the sun will be of little to no help to earthquakes when they make their own cracks.
OK but I was basing it on the comment I quoted

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I think it's the same earthquake, but something comes into play, considering the post you quoted:

By the beginning of the first movie, Littlefoot, his mother, and his grandparents were already on the move long before the Great Earthshake hit. This means they'd have to be at least a considerable distance away from the nest at the time. They definitely did not stay and wait for Bron, that's for sure.

This, in turn, leads to a new question: why did they begin moving? Why did they not stay and wait for Bron or something?

I honestly think something forced the three Longnecks out of that valley they were living in (the one in Bron's flashback) while Bron was gone. Considering how bare that valley was by the time Bron returned, I'm guessing the vegetation was dying.

Just saying. The quoted post made it sound as if Bron's family was supposed to be waiting for him by the time he got back. Forgive me if I misinterpreted anything here.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
I'm pretty sure it the same earthquake. They had to leave quickly and couldn't wait for Bron, whether or not he was going to return at all. They most likely had to keep going because of the lack of food (like Dr. Rex said).
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

MF217

• 밀레 시안
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://mf217.deviantart.com/
It's the same earthquake; by the time Bron finds where the nest originally was while the earthquake is happening, Littlefoot, his mother, and his grandparents had already began to travel to find the Great Valley, having long since abandoned the original nest in hopes of instead finding the Great Valley before things had gotten worse. Considering Bron wasn't mentioned at all in the original film, Bron's presence in the 10th movie would be a retcon of the original plot regarding Littlefoot's family.

In the original film, Littlefoot, his mother, and grandparents were the only survivors of that particular herd of longnecks; no mention of a father for Littlefoot is given, and the subject of this is never brought up as if Littlefoot's father was either dead or simply not important by that point in the original film. When Movie 10 happens, we learn that Bron does indeed exist and is indeed alive and thus his existence causes a bit of a retcon to the original film by making it so that he's the missing father of Littlefoot who was simply absent entirely from the events of the original film.

That's sadly the best way I can explain it I'm afraid.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code:
Marty
3695-0507-9451
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:
MF217
SW-2833-1633-8314
Note: PM me before asking for any meetings on various games for the 3DS or Switch please.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Quote from: MightyFan217,Oct 30 2017 on  08:14 AM
It's the same earthquake; by the time Bron finds where the nest originally was while the earthquake is happening, Littlefoot, his mother, and his grandparents had already began to travel to find the Great Valley, having long since abandoned the original nest in hopes of instead finding the Great Valley before things had gotten worse. Considering Bron wasn't mentioned at all in the original film, Bron's presence in the 10th movie would be a retcon of the original plot regarding Littlefoot's family.

In the original film, Littlefoot, his mother, and grandparents were the only survivors of that particular herd of longnecks; no mention of a father for Littlefoot is given, and the subject of this is never brought up as if Littlefoot's father was either dead or simply not important by that point in the original film. When Movie 10 happens, we learn that Bron does indeed exist and is indeed alive and thus his existence causes a bit of a retcon to the original film by making it so that he's the missing father of Littlefoot who was simply absent entirely from the events of the original film.

That's sadly the best way I can explain it I'm afraid.
I don't think the subject of Littlefoot's father is necessarily a retcon. We never get one hint or mention about whether Bron was dead or alive in the first film, nor a reason why he was missing, so his well-being has always been up in the air. His introduction in Movie 10 doesn't really damage continuity that much.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I'd always assumed they were the same quake, too.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf