The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rhamphorhynchus names

Jrd89 · 12 · 1996

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I needed some ideas for making my own Rhamphorhynchus.

I found one named "Sigg" on deviantart. I really want to use those skin colors (but i would make the tail one solid color and not striped.

Here's a link to "Sigg":
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=...ynchus#/d1uj8eu

I really want to use those shades of blue for my rhamphorhynchus. Can I please use those colors. I know "Sigg" isn't copyrighted.

(I'm just using colors, that's all.I see no harm in doing that.)

And the second thing was that I need a name for my Rhamphorhynchus.

I personally thought "Rhamphy" was cute, myself. Are there any other rhamphorhynchus names you can think of?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Hammy sounds funny. :-3 Hence the "ham" in "Rhamphorhynchus".

Other examples:

Chu
Phorest ( pronounced "forest")

Unless you wanted just names that sounded "normal", those are names I came up with in the species name.

As far as how you want your flyer to look like, you can use any colors you want, you just need to make it your own style. It's good to use something as a guide at first, but then you can express your creativity as far as you can go when you are done with that. :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
With respect, Jared, if you wanted to get permission to use the colors, you should be asking the artist, not the GOF. That said, it would probably be okay for you to use similar colors (though the character looks more purple than blue to me).

Looks like Amy's a lot more creative than me in coming up with names. :p Apart from the one you already came up with, the only one I could think of was “Rhynchie” (or “Rinky”), which sounds more like a nickname for Rinkus than anything else. “Rhamphy” sounds pretty good to me.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
From Rhamphorhynchus I can come up with a few names.  

I have an oc Rhamphorhynchus that I call Rhyn, though I vary rarely use her in rp's.  

horm, hyn, hynch,  mar, phorch, horch, rych, char,

Or some ideas from his name may come from his personality, or a hobby he has.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Alternately, you could use a normal name that doesn't come from the species name. I know everyone loves to do that, but from a gestalt perspective, not every Rhamphorhynchus could name themselves like this (they'd run out of names really fast), plus there's no way for them to know their species name anyway because the paleontologist who coins it won't be born for another 180 million years.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Two Rhamphorrhycus OCs in Twilight Valley bear the name Rham and Phor.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Nov 12 2010 on  04:11 AM
With respect, Jared, if you wanted to get permission to use the colors, you should be asking the artist, not the GOF. That said, it would probably be okay for you to use similar colors (though the character looks more purple than blue to me).

Looks like Amy's a lot more creative than me in coming up with names. :p Apart from the one you already came up with, the only one I could think of was “Rhynchie” (or “Rinky”), which sounds more like a nickname for Rinkus than anything else. “Rhamphy” sounds pretty good to me.

Hello:
 "Rhamphy" is a good name, I know because that is the name of one of my OCs, well, in fact his name is "Rhamphor" but he likes his closest friends to call him "Rhamphy" for many reasons.

He appeared in one of the rpgs here :DD . Too bad that rpg died though. If you like that name you could use it as there are always namesakes  :smile .

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I can't really give you tips on names...my character names for another fanverse are: Ramu, Chanse and Stripey the Zebra...-not exactly creative.

However I can respond that NO ONE, despite what some people may think, can copyright colours.  However with the design of ''Sigg'', I do think that maybe you might be better with changing the design that you wanted for your own character so it is seperated from Sigg....and that you will not get nasty flames from the artist and his/her followers who say along the lines: 'OMG, you stolez my character, you must die''... I have seen these types of things before, never been on the receiving end, and they are just pathetic. However, I do recommend that whilst keeping the colours, you change the entire design that suits you and the character.

I hope this is okay for you.  I know how hard it is to have a character for colours; I have a purple and blue lioness..and when I see other people's characters with the same colours, i don't mind especially as the design isn't like my character's.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Once I started running out of 'name-based' names, I resorted to 'normal' names. I have a Rhamp. character named Bartleby, who resembles a hornbill (blue with a striped beak). Why Bartleby? 'Cuz he LOOKS like a Bartleby :D

And he's having his midlife crisis...

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Nov 12 2010 on  01:14 PM
Alternately, you could use a normal name that doesn't come from the species name. I know everyone loves to do that, but from a gestalt perspective, not every Rhamphorhynchus could name themselves like this (they'd run out of names really fast), plus there's no way for them to know their species name anyway because the paleontologist who coins it won't be born for another 180 million years.
True, but what are the odds they'd be naming themselves in English at all? I don't think the idea of dinosaur characters having names based on their scientific names is that that's their “style” of naming themselves (From their perspective, their names probably don't mean anything special; they don't refer to their own species by their scientific names, after all). It's just an interesting way for OC creators to name their characters. Plus, most canon LBT characters' names follow that pattern. Personally, I would feel strange giving a LBT OC of mine a random human name like Joe or Mary; it would seem out of place in the LBT world. Granted, a name doesn't have to be a pun on the character's species name to sound “LBT-ish”, and as you observed, it's easy to run out of name options using this method.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Ok, Rhamphy it is. I'm glad most of you guys like it, too.  :yes

I wish I could turn into an lbt rhamphorhynchus right now!

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I'm glad you like that name, and my OC will like to see someone else with the same name he has :DD .