The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

New names for the gang

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, some of you know that I'm making a Dark LBT fic, and I've run into a little problem with it.

You see, there's a point where the gang is found as an enemy to the residents of the Great Valley, because of something they did. (This will be revealed in the fic.) With their families gone, (They all died horrible deaths if you must know.) they had to strike out on their own and take care of eachother.  Years later, they return because the valley is in danger.  However, if they were revealed who they were, the Valley's residents wouldn't want their help.  So, for this reason, they change their names.

That's my problem now.  I have a tendency to suck when it comes to making up names.  So I need some ideas of what to name them.  Here's what I have so far:

Littlefoot = Thunderfoot

Yeah, that's about it.  So, what names would you like to be given to them?

I'll take all suggestions.  Just understand, I may not pick yours for whatever reason.  Sometimes, it may be that I still can't pick one and just picked randomly.

Believe me, I could really use the help.

Thanks in advance.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm not good with names either. :p

Uhm...

Littlefoot - Thunderfoot (good choice)
Cera - ?
Ducky - Hadora
Petrie - Tanwing
Spike - ?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I admit this story sounds like the kind I wrote so much about.  :(
As for darker names:

Cera=Ares (Change one letter (C for S) and read it backwards and you get the Greek God of War)  :mad
Spike=Pikes (change just one letter and you get weapons) <_<
Petrie=Pluto (no I'm not talking of Mickey Mouse's dog but about the Roman God of the underworld) :o

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm, intresting choices. (Except for Ares.  That just doesn't sound like a girl's name to me.  Though I must ask how you came up with Pluto.)

Oh, and Thunderfoot I actually got from a little article of the original LBT movie.  I can't remember the website at the moment, but it said that Littlefoot's originally planned name was Thunderfoot.  They just didn't put it in because it wouldn't've worked with kids.

Oh, and here's a little something for my fic I think you should know.  Despite them being fully grown, Ducky will still keep her classic habit of repeating herself, and Petrie will keep his special sentence structuring.  To me, it's what makes Ducky, Ducky and Petrie, Petrie.  To me, destroying that destroys their charcter.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I thought that in a dark LBT fanfiction dark names might be required. Pluto, the good of the underworld was the only dark mythological name I could think of that begins with a P (there are other characters as well but they are not exactly gloomy). Anyway, nowadays Pluto has lost any dark connotation anyway. As for Ares you are right that it is a male name. Apart from the dark connotation it was the simple way in which it could be constructed from Cera's name which made me think of it. I reckon Latin and Greece offer plenty other dark words to be used, but I confess it is difficoult for me to think of such gloomy names for characters so "un-gloomy".

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Dark names aren't really required in a Dark Fic.  Though they are recommended at some points.  I have read many a Dark Fic where there were NO Dark names.  In some, it was the sadness within the charcter, the great amount of depression they felt that made it dark.  In others, it was what was happening to the world, being so unnatural, that only a force of darkness could've made it possible.

What makes a Dark Fic a Dark Fic is the atmosphere.  With just the right atmosphere, you can scare the reader in a very easy way.  There is nothing of horror inside, yet it is the atmosphere within that scares you.  You continue to read.  Cursing yourself for reading it and yet wanting more.  Worst of all, when you reach the end, even though the evil is destroyed, you meet with a sad ending.  One you wished you never read.

That, my friend, is a true Dark Fic that's taken VERY seriously.  Dark fics can be difficult, but can be a great achievement in the end.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Come on, guys!  I could really use the help!  I'm at a complete blank here! :angry:

I've got the whole plot figured out and all, but without the fake names, I just can't continue!

This is driving me nuts!  Please, I really need the help!

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Cera: - Shraer
Ducky: - Splasy
Spike: - Tailer
Petrie: - Freefall

Here is a idea for the names. took me about 20 minutes to come up with them :)

-Threehorn

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Freefall! Like the one in Dinotopia! Can't help you with the others but I think it would be interesting to see Petrie take on his dear old uncle Pterano's name  :rolleyes: .

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
N-Cha!

This one has a few thoughts of his own to throw in...

Love the name for Littlefoot
Cera...maybe name her Earthshaker?  Just a thought
Spike... Methinks that Thorntail might be a good name...
Ducky... perhaps Waveswimmer or Tidebreaker
Petrie... we endorse the name of Freefall for.

Those are my thoughts for names.

Bye-Cha!
Starfall

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Cera: Opsian
Ducky: Aurolo
Petrie: Ranod
Spike: Stego

Yeah they are derived from their species' names. Well except for Cera's. That was derived from name of the genus that includes all frilled dinosaurs.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: StarfallRaptor,Oct 7 2007 on  01:51 AM
Now, where have I heard this before? :P:

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
maybe i got 2 names. listen:

littlefoot(alternative): collussus
cera: rhino

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Oct 7 2007 on  08:38 AM
Heh... Just Realized that it's from Starfox Adventures.  The Stegos are called Thorntails.  that's probably where you heard it from.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Cera is short for Cerise in French, which means Cherry, there's 2 choices

Ducky could be Deary (hey, she was called it once :p) or Dulcy (It can make sense, kinda all mean "loved one" (so does Ducky if you're saying... "why?"))

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: StarfallRaptor,Oct 8 2007 on  07:55 PM
Quote from: Manny Cav,Oct 7 2007 on  08:38 AM
Heh... Just Realized that it's from Starfox Adventures.  The Stegos are called Thorntails.  that's probably where you heard it from.
Yes, that is where I heard it from. :yes

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Cera: thorncatcher
Ducky: racewalker
Petrie: pronus
Spike: I think he can stay the same.  Spike seems like a rather common name for a spiketail. :rolleyes:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Oct 9 2007 on  12:13 AM
Spike: I think he can stay the same.  Spike seems like a rather common name for a spiketail. :rolleyes:
Hehehe... uh... I think the whole point of this thing is to change the names of the original gang of five, so I doubt "Spike" would do. :rolleyes:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, let me explain the plot in full and so that you can all get the basic idea of why this topic exists in the first place.

It has been 20 years since the gang arrived in the valley for the first time, and things are not as they seem.  The once proud, thriving paradise has now become a vast wasteland that thrives with sharpteeth.  The gang we know and love has been framed for a crime they didn't commit and were forbidden to ever live in the valley ever again.  After many years, they have changed greatly in size and appearence.  Now with the intent of clearing their names, a new journey begins.  They soon learn that to clear their names they have to restore the valley to what it once was.  However, they'll soon find that the one behind all this is a friend.  One they thought would never betray them.

As you can see, this has quite the plot in mind.  Now, since they are coming back to the valley to clear themselves, they have to change their names if they wish to even step foot into the valley.  So naturally, they change their names.

Keeping in mind of the dark atmosphere that this story holds, I wish to go with rather dark names for the group.  Yet, that is where I'm having the biggest problem.  So, this is why I've asked for help in the first place.

Now, with that out of the way, best of luck to all of you. :^.^:

Achillobator

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deviantart.com
Maybe Petrie dons his Uncle's name? :D Dunno, just a thought

"Me call meself "PTERANO!" Just like my uncle! It big, STRONG name!"