The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Sharptooth = supernatural?

Serris · 23 · 5810

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
This quote from Drake:

For the adults I think the strongest ever was Sharptooth, I have to wonder if there was some sort of supernatural force behind that T-rex.

got me thinking, "is The Sharptooth supernaturally gifted?".

I don't think it is ever mentioned but I'm thinking that he is not quite normal.

Let's see some of his feats:
  • Speed is apparently the same as a raptor
  • Can survive falls of over 500 ft with no injuries (other than unconsciousness)
  • Can withstand several powerful tail whips from fully grown Apatosaur with no injury
  • Can demolish rock with no injury
  • Can be thrown into rock with no injury
  • Can leap approximately 4x height (see leap at end of 1st movie)

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
No, I don't consider Sharptooth to be supernatural, just another dinosaur. True, the scariest, fiercest sharptooth of them all, but still just a dinosaur.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There was at least 1 other t-rex, and maybe more, that had some of those abilities.  Though they may be a variety with more power then the average t-rex.  Which does make me wonder why they went so far, and also if Chomper will be a normal t-rex as an adult, or one of those with powers above those or normal t-rex's.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I agree with Kacie on this one. The sharptooth of the original movie was a very strong one and he did do things that go beyond what we would usually expect from a sharptooth to perform. However, I am booking all of these under "effects for the sake of entertaining the audience" rather than "supernatural abilities of the Sharptooth".

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They could have done the same without giving it powers beyond those of an ordinary sharptooth.  A realistic one could still be scary.   I wonder if while offscreen he works as a mild mannered reporter for the sharpteeth planet newspaper.  I was expecting it to have an s on it's chest.  Since it's abilities were not unlike a certain famous character who first appeared in print in 1938.  Or perhaps more like a phantom zone criminal.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I definitely think that there was something different about that sharptooth. It may not neccessarily be supernatural, but it is super-something.

RFZT

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Actually, I have heard many people call Sharptooth supernatural. I don't consider him so, but I definitely find him the best villain in LBT, claws down.

I loved how they made him not talk. It intensified his malice and overall terrifying-ness. He was so versatile, too, and had incredible power. Chomper calls Red Claw the biggest and meanest sharptooth of all? Sharptooth was waaaaay meaner. Like noted, he had the crazy jumping abilities, and he was very fast, and he fought a fully-grown brontosaurus(?) and fell down cliffs and was STILL trying to get those kids. And once Red Claw got beaten by having fruit thrown at him.

Red Claw the scariest sharptooth, my foot.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
The original sharptooth wasn't a wimp. :p  He actually fought.

Plus, name me any Hollywood film that didn't have a hero appearing supernatural or can take falls that would otherwise break bones or kill anyone in reality. ^^

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Petrie,Jan 4 2009 on  08:30 PM
Plus, name me any Hollywood film that didn't have a hero appearing supernatural or can take falls that would otherwise break bones or kill anyone in reality. ^^
Slumdog Millionaire. Wait, that's Bollywood...

Aggh, you got me.

If the Sharptooth was supernatural, it would follow with the themes of the movie. After all, Littlefoot's mom became a ghost.

Dracorider19

• Spike
  • If you wanna be great, let greatness surround you
    • View Profile
Quote from: RFZT,Jan 4 2009 on  07:44 PM
Actually, I have heard many people call Sharptooth supernatural. I don't consider him so, but I definitely find him the best villain in LBT, claws down.

I loved how they made him not talk. It intensified his malice and overall terrifying-ness. He was so versatile, too, and had incredible power. Chomper calls Red Claw the biggest and meanest sharptooth of all? Sharptooth was waaaaay meaner. Like noted, he had the crazy jumping abilities, and he was very fast, and he fought a fully-grown brontosaurus(?) and fell down cliffs and was STILL trying to get those kids. And once Red Claw got beaten by having fruit thrown at him.

Red Claw the scariest sharptooth, my foot.
Yeah, I have a very low opinion of Red Claw too; they just put him in the show just for the role of a villain, and since the show took a turn for being more childish, it makes Red Claw a joke compared to the original Sharptooth.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
he wasn't villain (the Sharptooth), but PERFECT predator / natural antagonist, who has a chance to become personal antagonist (for Littlefoot & Co).

I don't believe he had superpowers, so there're two options:
- or he WAS the meaniest and strong sharptooth who ever walked ground.
- or Don Bluth & Co "gifted" him his abilities intentionally. Remember: we haven't (almost) seen any other predator in original movie. Maybe these abilities are... normal. And of course, creators of sequels ridiculously reduced predator's danger and strenght, making them complete idiots like Red Claw.

Edit: however... WAIT! HE HAS SUBGODDAMN TELEPORTATION!!!
what the hell, sharptooth? How did you do that?

Dracorider19

• Spike
  • If you wanna be great, let greatness surround you
    • View Profile
I forgot this was mainly about the original Sharptooth, so here's my thoughts about him.
I'm aware there's some debate as to whether he was really a villain who just a predatory antagonist, but I do know that he holds a grudge against Littlefoot for blinding him in one eye in the thorn bush, and since observing that he kept trying to bite even after getting stuck when he tried to reach the gang in the desert.
And he wasn't supernatural, no, but just simply had above-average abilities for a sharptooth, like
really above average.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
In the Original, Sharptooth is suppose to represent Satan allegorically. Little Foot is Moses, the Tree Star (Star of David), the Great Valley (The Promise Land), and the fact Sharptooth is drowned in water just as Egyptians were at Red Sea during the Exodus all fits. So yes in continuum of the Original Film, he is supernatural, but in the sequels not so much.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Honestly, the only reason why the sharptooth in the original movie seems so powerful and invincible is because he's shown from the point of view of a bunch of (almost) helpless dinosaur kids. It's supposed to help the viewer emphasize with the group of protagonists more. If that big carnivore met - say - that herd of hungry longnecks that devoured the little patch of green food Littlefoot and his friends first mistook for the Great Valley, I'm pretty sure they'd fight him off no problem. :)

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Coyote_A,Apr 22 2017 on  02:43 AM
If that big carnivore met - say - that herd of hungry longnecks that devoured the little patch of green food Littlefoot and his friends first mistook for the Great Valley, I'm pretty sure they'd fight him off no problem. :)
Not really. Remember - he fighted Littlefoot's mom. He fighted creature who defended her single child - I believe it's the most dangerous creature in the nature. With that, she overpassed her own maximum of power, fighting and running even with fatal wound. But even THAT didn't help her to defeat Sharptooth, since he only lost conscious for some seconds, and I believe, Littlefoot and Cera were saved only by sudden earthshake.
Also, it's obvious that Sharptooth went in some kind of insane furious state during his battle. It increased his powers almost beyond the natural.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Lone predators are outfitted for combat by nature. Gregarious herbivores - not so much, no matter what kind of motivation they have. But there's safety in numbers... Unless everyone on your group is a kid. :D

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
or unless they're attacked by sharptoth in demented state caused by fatal level of hunger, who doesn't feel pain and is immune to physical attacks, who jumps on 300 meters on spine of the pray and immediatelly tears him to fatal wounds state.   :rolleyes:

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Apr 21 2017 on  07:26 PM
or unless they're attacked by sharptoth in demented state caused by fatal level of hunger, who doesn't feel pain and is immune to physical attacks, who jumps on 300 meters on spine of the pray and immediatelly tears him to fatal wounds state.   :rolleyes:
Another good point Snik. It is possible Sharptooth is demented from hunger or perhaps some of his scraps have made him an ultra violent predators. Jaws, the shark film by Spielberg was based on a real occurance in New Jersey, where a shark got into the river and began eating people, because it was nuts from salt water and fresh water. Perhaps Sharptooth had some similar experience.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
That seems very plausible, considering the movie itself starts with the comment on how the environment which dinosaurs inhabited was in turmoil.