The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT article in the Animation Magazine

Flathead

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I managed to scan the 1988 Animation magazine article about the LBT, it was referenced on the http://www.cataroo.com/DBland.html website about the various production issues regarding LBT, so here's the scanned images:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Awesome Flathead :)
Thank you so much for sharing this with us :yes

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Well, now we have a reallly good idea of how big the gang is!

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Heh, I just noticed they refer to Ducky as a Platypus on the second page. :lol:

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This is quite interesting, its to bad that after All Dogs Go To Heaven, his films ended up being Disney-esqe, up until Titan A.E., Don Bluth should make another film that's the quality of The Secret Of NIMH,An American Tail,The Land Before Time and All Dogs Go To Heaven combined, that would be awesome.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Whoa! Great find, man! Thank you for sharing.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey that looks awesome! I'm gonna read through it when I'm done with school today! :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting, thanks for posting this.  I'll be an interesting read.   :yes

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
That was an awesome read! And now we probably know how tall the gang are. :yes
Thanks for sharing!  :lol:

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I agree, this is a very amazing finding! Thanks for posting those scans :DD
 And I also agree with Sky, we finally can make ourselves an idea of the gang's sizes :smile .

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks for the post.  It was a very interesting article to read and very informative also.

Flathead

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if it is worth adding a new topic just for two pics from the lucasfilm fanclub magazine issue six so I'll just post them here instead:

I'm wondering if their any other magazines from 88 or 87 that talk about the production of lbt, or that show pics that where never in the film.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
An interesting read, thanks for posting this here.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Excellent find! Hugely interesting to see what was going through the producers' minds as they were making some of our favourite movies. If only they'd thought of director's commentary and bonus features back then. Thanks for sharing that with us mate! Wickid! ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Absolutely :yes
It is great that you found this most interesting source material. Upon reading the part about Cera looking pink rather than orange or yellow I took a look at a screenshot. Personally I would still consider this orange and yellow rather than pink, but it is interesting to read about how they deliberately used the colors of the characters to express emotion.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,May 20 2010 on  05:02 AM
Absolutely :yes
It is great that you found this most interesting source material. Upon reading the part about Cera looking pink rather than orange or yellow I took a look at a screenshot. Personally I would still consider this orange and yellow rather than pink, but it is interesting to read about how they deliberately used the colors of the characters to express emotion.
Interesting bit about Cera indeed :yes.

Two words about their actual sizes: Holy s*** :o!  I always imagined Ducky was small enough to sit on my shoulder comfortably, and I have a small build :blink:.  Cera almost looks taller than me (5'2") just as she is in that shot.  Imagine if she stood on her hindlegs.  Daaaaaang :blink:!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
These are great! Thanks, Flathead! :DD (Boy, if there was ever an expression of gratitude that would only be taken the right way on the GOF, that was it! :lol) With movies (especially animated ones) I always find it very interesting to learn about the genesis and development of the characters, early ideas for the plot, and how the plot changed to its eventual form, how the visual aspects were designed (character concepts, color palettes, etc.), and any research that was involved in the making of the film.

I certainly never envisioned the gang as being that big. :wow For a long time I thought of them as being really tiny (maybe two or three feet long). More recently, I imagined Cera and Spike as being two or three feet high (Littlefoot would be at least a foot taller because of his neck), and around six feet long, maybe a little more. If they were really supposed to be THAT big, however, then unfortunately their parents were A LOT bigger than their respective species in real life.

Whoever wrote the movie description on the second page of the first article sure needs to hit the zoology books (not to mention the dinosaur books) if he/she thought Ducky was a platypus. :slap (Seriously, what kind of platypus is scaly, has a bony crest on its head, walks on two legs, and is thirty feet long as an adult? :crazy)

I sure don't remember Cera being pink at the end of the movie. :blink: As I recall, it was actually her father who had a pinkish/purplish hue.

Do you know when the second article was published, Flathead? I can’t find a date on it.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.