The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Things You Dislike About Video Games You Enjoy

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
Banjo-Tooie -Framerate issues especially in Terrydactyland and Hailfire peaks.

Mariokart wii -Cheap rubber band AI, battle mode forces you into teams and the balloon battle isn't a last man standing game anymore.

Mario party series -Any of the sheer blind luck based mini-games.

Donkey kong 64 -Unwarranted difficulty at some points of the game.

Vek

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Kaelvek
On my N64, not much :

Mario Kart 64 - Yoshi Valley, the most frustrating map ever created.
Donkey Kong 64 - Almost all the mini-game, specialy the 2 for the nintendo and Rare coin. I hate the level: Gloomy Galleon too.
Banjo-Tooie - Lag in open areas.
Banjo-Kazooie - Engine room inside Rusty Bucket Bay. I fall at least 1 time each time i go in it. Its the most frustrating map ever created.

On PC :

Empire : Total War - Corrupted save that prevent you to continue your game.
Aliens vs. Predator (2010) - Can't crouch.
Rome : Total War - Constant Rebellion when you have a large empire.
Medieval 2 : Total War - The Pope and all the system around him.
Rise of Nations - The nuke / armageddon.
Crysis / Crysis Warhead - The french voice of the nanosuit is atrocious. I looked some videos on youtube and the english one is so much better.
Warhammer 40.000 Dawn of War 2 - There is no Necrons... yet.
Guild Wars - Henchmen are totaly retarded, mostly monk.
Napoleon : Total War - In Campaign of the Coalition, the Frenchs are cheating. If i do nothing, all the other nations will inevitably be defeated. Even if i give them all my gold and technology.

Oh and...

LBT RPG - Cera have red eyes.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire:
-The absolute INSANE damage gap between some enemies and you.  Example:  Enemies can usually 1-hit a body part off your mobile suit with ANY gun.  It takes the heavy weapons for you to do the same.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Fable and Fable TLC were just too damned short.  I can beat the whole thing and level up fully on every skill in under 6 hours in TLC.  I can do it in 4 in the regular version.

It's a good thing I didn't get TLC just because it was an "extended" version of Fable.  There was hardly any new content at all!  I would have been PISSED had I bought it in addition to Fable thinking that it would be a lot more fun and gameplay.  Fortunately for them, my original Fable disk got scratched so I decided to buy TLC afterwards.

I don't understand why they didn't listen to the complaints by the players.  The #1 complaint was that it was too short, so what do they do in the "extended" version?  Just add 2 extra hours onto a 4 hour game. :rolleyes: When you pay $50 for a game, you expect more than 4-6 hours of entertainment. :anger

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Doom 1/2: I never liked that you couldn't look up or down. Source ports fix that.

Diablo 2: Attack rating.

Doom 3: Its underrated.

Final Fantasy X/Metal Gear Solid 2: The main character offends me. Oh wait no, I didn't like these games. Nevermind.

Half Life 2: Barney. BARNEY... BARNEY!!!

Unreal Tournament: Sometimes I feel I've lost my skill. Also, suicides count against you.

Nfl2k3: The presentation can get in the way of the game.

Another world: It's too short.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
BULLY (again)

. I hate the Shop class and the art class. In art, you have to draw a series of lines which, if you "sketch" 80% of, will reveal a picture. I've beaten three of the art classes but the fourth is absolutely maddening! When you're drawing a line, if an eraser or something else comes into contact with said line, you lose a life. Not only if it comes into contact with you, but if it comes into contact with the line you've drawn. Then you have to start over! And Shop Class I hate because it would keep telling me that I'm putting in the wrong commands. If I rotate the left analog stick(I have it for PS2) clockwise, then it says I'm doing it right. But if I try to rotate it counterclockwise, it says I'm doing it wrong, when I'm very clearly rotating it the EXACT way it says to rotate it!

ETERNAL SONATA

. Very poorly told story! Nothing is ever explained, for instance, the main character is dying. From what, you ask? Well don't ask me because I don't know either, and I've beaten the game. Also, the game claims to be about 17th century pianist Frederic Chopin when he's not even the main character. Sure you get to play as him but his character is so vapid and uninteresting that after awhile, you just don't care anymore.

. And that's the second problem: these were some of the dullest, boring and most one dimensional characters I've ever seen in an RPG. They were so boring it was mind numbing(not even kidding). The conversations between the characters was about the same as staring at a wall for two hours. I also love how the developers tried to make the characters seem deep by having them spout off philosophical nonsense during the credits.

. The cutscenes. Oh, my God the cutscenes!! So boring!! I swear that every cutscene is the same length as the ending to any RPG. Also, this game is infamous for having the world's longest death scene. Go ahead and see for yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTOI4Pps0PE  
To sum up this scene, let's just say that when you start screaming for a main protagonist to die already, then something's wrong.

So what did I like about this game? The character designs and the battle system. That's really it. This game was a boring, seriously bland piece of tripe. It's not a completely horrible game but it is nowhere near as good as Kingdom Hearts or Tales of Symphonia. There are more things I can't stand about this game but if I listed them all, this would have turned into a review(it just about has).

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
LBT RPG-Whats with Littlefoot's eyes?

Castlevania:Symphony Of The Night-The Rock Armor and Blue Venus Weed  enemies, shall I say more?

Ecco The Dolphin:Tides Of Time- the 3D segments, enough said.

Castlevania(all)- Medusa Heads and Fleamen, enough said.

Soul Calibur IV-Why the short story mode?

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance- The laws.

Assassin's Creed II-You can't ride horses in cities, shall I say more.

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
Evil Mode.. I was all hyped up when i heard that they would give the option to play as the villains.. Unfortunately, they never said that it would only be in the battles..

Spore
I cant get the disk to work!! :(

Morrowind
Same reason as Kor. I also dont like it when you're trying to whack the enemies attacking you and doing no points of damage while the bandits are just eating away at your health! Game gives me nightmares sometimes and that is one of the reasons.. (Plus trying to run away and your low on health)

Cant really think of any others at the moment.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur IV

1. The story mode was way too short.

2. There is some missing equipment from the third game.

3. Yoda............. :bang

Any Shooting Game

1. Camping noobs online who think they have skill

Any Fighting Game

1. Spamming noobs online who think they have skill

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Resident Evil 5

1. The AI taking ammo when you have infinite ammo for the weapon Sheva has on her at the time.  For example, a handgun with infinite ammo....she still wishes to pick up ammo for the handgun for no apparant reason at all.  Reason why that sucks....cause if she has ammo, there would be no room for herbs and first aid spray in the end, which you need on Professional Mode.

2. The Ndesu boss battle....nuff said >.<
Okay, let me put into perspective, throughout the entire boss battle, you are on the back of the truck, on the turret of the vehicle trying to gun it down, unable to leave the truck for some stupid reason....which is just insane on Professional Mode....getting many, many deaths against the giant bastard.
Why on Earth, when it reveals the plagas to you, you just can't jump off the back of the damn truck and fire a rocket at it to kill it, is beyond my comprehension....

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Scribblenauts - the bizarre controls. Touching the screen moves Maxwell AND causes him to interact with stuff. It is possible to ram a platform down a bottomless pit and fall into the pit afterwards.

Total Annihilation - the "default AI" is hilariously easy.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Total Annihilation - Multiplayer matches are some of the greatest RTS moments I've ever experienced especially when modded to allow epic 5000 unit battles (you really cant have it any other way), but good lord does it take time. It can be over in less then 10 minutes with a well planned rush, or about 9 hours if you set up a proper defence. The worst problem is when the game crashes about halfway through said 9 hour match. Much screaming ensues.

Also, it never got a proper sequel. Supreme Commander sucks, and so does SC 2. TA Spring is great, but still has issues with multiplayer.

Guitar Hero - Expert is waaaaaay too hard. My friends and me do not feel like Guitar Heroes(tm) when we keep failing the first 5 seconds. I can't even move my bloody fingers that fast!

Aaaaand then Vocals on Expert is too easy. :bang

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Crackdown 2 That stupid announcer guy talking into your ear every ten seconds.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: JitteryDragon,Aug 9 2010 on  10:49 PM
Guitar Hero - Expert is waaaaaay too hard. My friends and me do not feel like Guitar Heroes(tm) when we keep failing the first 5 seconds. I can't even move my bloody fingers that fast!

The problem I have with Guitar Hero is that the songs are usually charted with more notes than the song really has. Now this may depend on the guitar part that is being charted, but I've played songs on both Guitar Hero and Rock Band and I usually find Rock Band charts more realistically and therefore easier.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
One thing I dislike about shooter games in general (like Halo) is people who call other people n00bs simply because of what strategy they employ. Camping is a good example of a good strategy that seems to be frowned upon. While I can see where it can be annoying, especially if you are on the receiving end, I still regard it as a good strategy which I tend to employ when I can. I like to remain hidden. Of course, camping can get boring when you're waiting for someone, and it would get even more boring if everyone in a match decided to camp.  :p

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: JitteryDragon,Aug 10 2010 on  10:49 AM
You know what they say: Practice makes perfect. :p

It's not really their fault if the charts are "too hard". :nyah :nyah :lol

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - It may be an awesome game, but its online play can be a bit on the "laggy" side. You can also sometimes get disconnected from it.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
While I have liked the game so far, there's one thing I really don't like about Red Dead Redemption: The fact that you have to actually make clothes in the game. I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it, but it's so hard to do it. On top of that, most, if not all of the tasks you need to complete in order to unlock the clothes seem rather pointless(What does playing a game of horseshoes have to do with making a coat for John Marston?

Speaking of horseshoes, that's another thing about the game I can't stand. Why did Rockstar have to turn what is such a simple and easy game in real life into an agonizing, hair ripping, controller breaking nightmare? The controls for the horseshoe minigame are terrible. I never know when my throw will be good enough and whenever I think it is, I end up messing it up.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Metroid Other M: I am enjoying this game a lot, even though I only get to play in short bursts. But there's some things about it I don't like, mostly referring to gameplay. The dramatic cutscenes focusing on Samus don't bother me that much; I just wish they were a tad shorter at times and Samus didn't narrate as much. But again it doesn't really bother me that much. Now what does bother me is the gameplay aspect itself.

First, I'm not fond of the search mode. I don't like being locked in place and having to look around for something without any clue on what I'm supposed to be looking at. And another annoying thing is that what you're supposed to be locked on isn't immediately noticed. You have to move the wiimote slowly, steadily, over every inch of the screen, up and down, until you find what you're supposed to be focused on. It would have been easier if the developers gave a more noticeable hint on what you're supposed to be looking at. I end up trapped in search mode for longer than I should be because of this.

Second, platform jumping is a lot harder in Other M than it had been in previous games. There's two reasons for this. The first is that you cannot move the camera yourself while in third person. So if you're running towards the screen, you cannot see what's in front of you unless you switch to first person momentarily to take a look. This also means that, when in a more open area and having to jump from one platform to the other, you cannot adjust the screen so you can more easily see where you are facing in relation to the next platform. This makes it more difficult to know if you are positioned right until after you try to jump only to fall down. Also, when running towards the screen, jumping to dodge, it's more difficult to see where you're going to land. I fell in the lava about three times while fighting a boss (dunno the name, but it's the one you have to fish out with the grapple beam).

Another thing that makes this harder is the invisible walls around ledges. This actually slows Samus down. Without a running start, it makes it harder to reach platforms. I've constantly failed reaching a platform twice in the game, constantly falling back down, having to start over. I even had to restart the game once and start again from another save point because of this. And the second time it happened, I was about ready to give up because of how hard it was to platform jump in third person view in this game. I have platform jumped before in third person, like in Spyro, and never had a problem. But in Metroid Other M, they made platform jumping difficult for me.

Oh and while I'm at it, the view also makes it difficult for me to tell if I'm in the right position for something. For instance, I can't tell if I'm in the right position to wall jump on that spinning thing that you sometimes have to wall jump on. I keep falling down, having to try again and again. There's another part where lava is rising and you must outrun it and there's a ledge that you can just barely see in side view. You have to grab onto that, but you must be in the exact right position for that. Same thing with another opening, just above lava, that you must grab onto, and again you must be in the exact right position for it, otherwise you just fall down into the lava.

The only other complains I have about the game don't bother me as much though they are still annoying. The first one is how you can only replenish health at a navi station or with a new energy tank. I liked it better when you could get more health when killing enemies. The reason this annoys me is that, sometimes I could be fighting a lot of enemies, getting drained, going where I need to go, and end up fighting a boss without getting to a navi station first (this happened once) and not having enough energy to fight the boss. The other thing that bothers me is the lava. When Samus falls in, not only does she move slow, but there is a significant delay to where she jumps out, increasing the damage she gets. I've died a few times in the lava because of how slowly she moves and reacts.

Despite these complaints, though, I do enjoy Metroid Other M. There are some aspects about it I am enjoying, such as Samus's character becoming even more fleshed out and developed than it had been in previous installments. And I love the Concentration ability.