The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Karaoke Song: Lone Dinosaur

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Lone Dinosaur karaoke project! :D

Here, the current status of the project will be discussed.  Any applicants interested in joining up in singing the song with us can post here and sing along!  

Currently, active members in this project include:
Petrie
Malte
Action9000
Pokeplayer984
SaphireRaptor

Deadline: May 11th, 2007.  *No longer accepting new members, thanks*
Basic Background Music arrangement completed: 100%.
Enhanced Background Music arrangement completed: ~25%

If you're new to the Gang of Five's karaoke projects or have any general questions, see this post.

The music we are singing to can be downloaded here:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...8BBC99611F199A7
If the link is down and you're interested in singing, let me know via MSN, PM, or whatever and I'll get you the music. B)
By the way, I will be removing the instruments that are playing the vocals once the voices are in place.  They are just there to help the singers find their place.  I know this song is kind of tricky to sing, timing-wise.

Post and apply to sing with us until May 11th!  You must submit your recording before this time, as I will be completing the final mix of the song soon afterwards.  If too many people apply, I will release two versions, with half of the participants in each version (too hard to mix more than about 6 people into the same song, when nobody has professional-quality microphones or abilities!)

(This is the message structure I will be using for all new songs in the future.  I decided our song projects needed more structure, as there was a bit of confusion in the past as to what exactly was going on).

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Adam, Malte:
I'm not exactly sure what happened.  I plugged your recordings into the music today, and this is what happened:
[Link removed]

No effects were applied; I just put the recordings in and stereo panned them.
Adam is on the left speaker.
Malte is on the right speaker.

I'm finding a strange problem: Adam, your recording seems to be at a slower tempo than my music.  You start in time, and drift more and more behind as the music progresses.

Malte, you're the opposite.  You start in time, then start going more and more Ahead of the music.

I don't know exactly why this would be, since I didn't change the tempo of my music...it doesn't seem like anything I can nicely deal with on my end.  I'll see if I can track down the problem but I"m currently not sure, except if both of you were singing out of time consistantly (which I doubt).

[EDIT] Okay I tracked down the source of the problem.  Adam, I think you're fine.  There's just some glitch in my computer causing the synch issue.  I *think* I fixed yours. ;)
Oh by the way, I'm learning some new Noise Reduction tricks.  I was able to knock the noise in Adam's recordings to basically zero without breaking his voice. B)

Malte, I'm finding that both of your recordings are sung a bit too fast.  I'll see if that is on my computer or not.  I'll get back to you if I need you to try again.  I don't know what is going on, exactly.
[/EDIT]

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
My mistake. After several messed up attempts with the midis I tried to sing to the MP3 version of the song from the movie. The length is almost the same and I hoped it would work out, but I'm afraid it is not close enough. The song is sung rather fast, perhaps the most difficult one we have had so far. I will do more recordings with the Midi and your voice in it Adam (The file is on the way to me as I am typing this). I guess I will have much less of a problem that way.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
No problem, Malte.  Feel free to send me another recording anytime :)

Adam: I have an update for you.  I seem to be lacking the end of the song from you.  My recordings cut off right at "defenseless".  I will not be able to put you in the end of the song unless you send me a new recording.  If you're okay with how it is, so am I. B)

I think I've basically finished mixing Adam's voice into the music.  This is a pretty good idea of what you will sound like in the final song.  Enjoy!
[Link removed]

As always, comments are welcome!  If there is anything you want to have changed, let me know. :yes
What do you think of my shiny new noise reduction? :P:

BY the way: The music is messed up at the end of this mp3.  Just ignore that; that was my fault, trying to do 2 things at once while i was saving the MP3.  That will be fixed in the final version. :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Yeah I rock!!!  :D  Which numbered recording did you take...I think the last two were my best (#3 and #4).

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Actually I just listened the duet-ish version...now that made me laugh because we're all off at some point.  :lol:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I listened to my copy all the way through this time, and you don't have the recordings of me that I have....I certainly went and sang the whole thing (and believe I did a much better job too :P: )  I guess I gave you demo tracks or something.

Expect an email from me.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Got the e-mail
and now I have an update for you ;)
[Link removed]

Petrie: I used recording #4.  I will fix your timing at the end of the song for the final version.  If you listen to this, you drift out of time a little bit in the last chorus and come back in time at the very end.  I'll deal with this later by time-stretching some silence until it lines up :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
UPDATE: Petrie
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...9B998301D63E7CE

I have fixed the timing for the most part.  I also fixed a clipping problem found in the previous mp3.

Malte; Download this one instead, since the timing is better.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I don't have a clue as to why I'm out of synch.  :unsure:

Eh, its not half bad...sounded better without the music. :P:  Use whatever part you'd like to.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
UPDATE:
Here's a version with Malte and Adam together.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...B70611224779E5F
 Each of you has a significant solo.
Let me just say that I'm very happy with how this is turning out so far.  I plan to update this a bit still before the final version, so this shouldn't spoil it or anything.
Now if we can just get a couple more people involved...

I'm trying to find a place to host all of these songs permanently.  I figure that a potential option is to host lower-quality versions (maybe 112 kb/s MP3 if possible) of the song on my permanant website.  If somebody asks really nice, I can send them a higher-quality version (256, 320, FLAC, whatever). :P:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
The next copy you can send to me in OptimFrog or APE.  :nyah  :nyah  Horray for crazy codecs nobody has heard of before.  Nah, mp3 is fine...most of us recorded in mp3 or some lossy format anyway so FLAC wouldn't make much difference.

Malte and me don't do too bad together.  :yes

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
most of us recorded in mp3 or some lossy format anyway so FLAC wouldn't make much difference.
All it would really do is improve quality of the instrumental parts slightly, as they are all basically uncompressed (.wav, 16-bit 44.1kHz) in my source.  The difference would be basically negligible though in most cases.
Malte and I have been recording in .wav in the past. I guess we're just special. :nyah

Speaking of which, I don't think I'll be able to sing in this project.  I have my doubts, finding time alone to record this by the set date of May 11.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Malte and me don't do too bad together. 
It could be even better if you both had the same microphone, but other than that I was very happy!  Great job guys! :D  :wow

Speaking of which, I don't think I'll be able to sing in this project. I have my doubts, finding time alone to record this by the set date of May 11.
I *May* have an opporitunity to sing on Tuesday.  My temporary roommate was invited to his school to talk about his experience there, as a student survey or something.  As a result, he will be gone for at least a couple of hours, leaving me plenty of time for recording.

This is Only tentative though, since the transit system in this city is currently voting to strike.  If the busses and train drivers go on strike, my friend will have no way to get to school (which is on the opposite end of the city) for the survey.  If that happens, I won't have the house to myself to record. :P:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey everyone!
We're still accepting singers for Lone Dinosaur!  Feel free to sign up and send me your recordings by May 11. B)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
They don't likely sell the same things in Germany. :P:

BTW I pulled another vicious octave upsample and that was a riot.  :nyah

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R2QRK9XL

And look Malte....I've even taken the liberty of adding a picture to our famous duet.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Oh dear, and who is the lass between us?  :lol
They don't likely sell the same things in Germany.
Sell what things?
For some reason I cannot listen to your "riot" Adam. I keep being told that the file is temporarily unavailable.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sell what things?
Microphones. :P:

For some reason I cannot listen to your "riot" Adam. I keep being told that the file is temporarily unavailable.
Did you enter the 3-letter code on the download page, Malte?  The link works fine here.