The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Past that Yawns Behind

Pterano · 97 · 14607

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow, thanks to both of you! Really glad you're enjoying it. I definitely enjoyed writing this chapter I think. Was nice to see the two of them bonding like this. ^^

Thanks a lot for the feedback.  :smile

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, this was a very touching chapter :)

Nice that Pterano let Petrie be the leader for a little while.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thanks, vonboy. :) I enjoyed writing it.

Ah yeah, I liked that too, how he's trying to gently show that he's OK with somebody else leading for awhile. It almost pains me to start writing something negative next chapter, but a story's got to have conflict, eh? XD

(runner up)
(runner up)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ Thanks!  :DD

@trulyfantasticme: Aww, I didn't see that you had changed your review a tad. That is pretty sad. *hugs* But I'm glad at least my chapter was able to speak to you in a special way. :)

Alright, I expect to tentatively get the next chapter up tonight, after work. I'm not sure I'll finish it, since I'm taking my old roommate out tonight to see a movie as sort of a "one last hurrah" before we go our separate ways and join the real world, but I'll do what I can. If not tonight, then it'll be up tomorrow for sure.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Salvatore Blackheart

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Good story Pterano

"Me? Leader?" Petrie asked, blinking. "Uncle... you sure you feeling OK? You like being leader, right?"

"Heh, today it's all you nephew." Pterano responded, not fully answering the question. "I'll follow you wherever you wish to take me." He gave Petrie a reassuring nod, and slowed his speed a bit to allow his small nephew out in front.

is my favorite part. :smile

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thanks Salvatore Blackheart! New reader! Yay! And yeah, 'twas a good part. ^^

OK, no post from me tonight. I have half the chapter done (probably more than that), BUT, I hit a bit of a snag with the conclusion, and since I don't want to give you guys junk, I'm gonna wait till I have a better idea of how I want it to go. Hopefully tomorrow, we'll see.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thanks go out to everyone for the reviews! For the first time I'm... not gonna comment on this chapter. It's for the readers to read!

-------------------------

Chapter 3: The Taken

When Pterano at last began to stir, the thing he first noticed was the sun, sinking below the mountains that ringed the Great Valley. "Oh dear..." he moaned, stretching a little as he started to rise into consciousness. "I'm sorry about that Petrie... I overslept. Ohhh your mother's going to be furious with me." he mumbled, rubbing a hand over his eyes.

Something immediately struck Pterano as out of place. He no longer felt as if he were clutching anything in his wings. "Petrie?" he asked groggily, starting awake the second he saw that his nephew was indeed not there. "Petrie? Petrie?" he asked, swiveling his head from right to left. But the ledge was deserted.

"Petrie!" Pterano called, pushing himself up and walking over to the edge of the shelf, and gazing down into the valley below. His heart was starting to race now, as he could not see wing nor beak of his nephew. He tore his eyes skyward, frantically searching and sweeping the violet haze for a sign, any sign whatsoever, of Petrie. There were a few flyers flapping about, but not a single one of them were smaller than Mr. Rinkus, as a comparison.

His heart was pounding now, and he could feel the pulse in his ears. He hopped off the ledge and began to glide downward, heading for the greenery of the valley. He scanned the crowds of dinos below him, and was starting to fear that somehow, he must have missed something in the hustle and bustle, but as it turned out, there was truly nothing there. No Petrie. No familiar face of any kind.

He landed in the grass near a spiketail, and nervously tapped him on the side. "Excuse me. Have you seen a very small flyer? He's young and about this big?" he demonstrated with his hands, but the spiketail shook his head. Pterano's breaths started to become more shallow, like short gasps as panic started to set in. He panted as he ran over to another dinosaur, this one a longneck. "Excuse me! I'm sorry but have you seen a small flyer? Brown, similar to me but a bit darker in the wings!" Another shake of the head.

"Oh no... oh no..." Pterano was beginning to panic. He whirled around, becoming disoriented and confused as it seemed like every dino around him was suddenly closing in, or making it impossible for him to move. "Help me! Help me!" he cried, stumbling forward, and feeling his foot mash on something that was gooey and round.

Looking down as he removed his foot, the flyer could see that it was a berry... but not just any berry. It was the very same type of berry that he and Petrie had been feasting on before they had gone to sleep. With a sinking feeling, Pterano shakily glanced upward, back at the ledge they had been perched on, and then glanced around him, looking for bushes or plants that might contain this same berry. After a matter of seconds, Pterano could see that there were absolutely no berries like this anywhere, save for on that ledge.

It may have fallen off and rolled down... but not likely. A straight drop from the ledge led to a shallow dip in the ground. If the berry had gotten this far, it was either tossed from that ledge, or someone had carried it down here and then dropped it, as it was impossible for something to naturally roll uphill.

Pterano lowered his gaze to the partly mushed berry once more, unsure of what it meant. Had Petrie come this way? But why would he leave without telling him? His heart continued to thud and pound at his ribs, as if it sought to batter its way out.

"PETRIE!" Pterano shouted, lifting his beak to the heavens and shouting at the top of his lungs. "PETRIE!" he called away, wildly looking about him, and bumping into a swimmer's leg as he did so.

"I'm sorry madam... I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" he exclaimed, flapping his wings and taking off into the air. Maybe he had gone home. It was the only logical thing Pterano could think of right now, crazed as his mind was. What if something terrible had happened? What if... what if Petrie had been... abducted? The flyer gulped at the thought, unwilling to consider it. Who would take an innocent child like that? And for what purpose? It made no sense to him whatsoever.

He shook his head, attempting to clear his thoughts. He tried to make sense of it. It was probably no reason to lose his calm like this. Petrie had to be somewhere in this valley after all.

He had been flying very close to the ground, attempting to scan the bushes and blades of grass and the rocks for his nephew, and failed to notice a pillar of green that suddenly loomed up in front of him. "Aggggh!" he squawked, unable to stop himself in time as he crashed right into the green pillar, which turned out to be a hypsilophodon. The two barreled over, creating a jumbled mess on the ground.

"Ooof! Terribly sorry!" Pterano hurriedly apologized. "I'm so sorry!" he pushed himself off the creature, pausing as he noticed a rainbow patch of scales on the fellow's neck. The hypsilophodon, who happened to be Brightneck, groaned, and lifted himself to his feet.

"Whoooooa there. What's the rush?" here he paused, as if catching himself, and then continued once he saw how aggravated the flyer was. "Is something wrong? You look of fright." he commented.

"Yes! Something's terribly wrong! I can't find my nephew! He's about this big, and we fell asleep awhile ago, and when I woke up, I couldn't find any trace of him! I'm terrified that something's happened to him! I need to get back to his nest, right away! Unless... unless you've seen him?" Pterano asked in a hopeful tone, though realized that his crazy ramblings just now probably made very little sense.

"Slow down... slow down. Now just hold on." Brightneck raised his hands, trying to calm the flyer. "Now let's just take this from the beginning. Your nephew is missing? Is that it?" Pterano nodded. "And you fell asleep, and when you woke up he wasn't there? Well, I guess that was taking things backwards, but anyway, what's he look like? What's his name? I'm a chaperone for the younger ones in this valley from time to time, so perhaps I know of him."

"His name's Petrie, and he he's my color, but darker in his wings, more like" but he was interrupted by Brightneck.

"Petrie? Petrie is YOUR nephew?" he asked, placing his hands on his hips. "Wait a minute... you're Pterano, aren't you?" he asked, lifting a brow.

"Yes. Yes that's me. Oh I feel simply awful for what's happened! If you know him, perhaps you could help me look for him?" he asked, in an almost pleading tone.

"I most certainly can... though I think we should let the elders know as well. They need to be notified if a child has gone missing. It's part of my job, I'm afraid."

Pterano shook his head, trembling a little. "The adults? Well... very well, yes of course they need to know but..." he paused here, afraid to tell him why he didn't wish to run to the adults right away. He was positive someone would most certainly place blame on him, and in fact, all would blame him if Petrie could not be located. He glanced again at the rainbow splotch on Brightneck's neck, and squinted. "Have I... seen you before... sir?" he asked, frowning as he tried to place him.

Brightneck shook his head. "Me? I doubt that. I think I'd remember meeting someone as... notorious as you." he said, unable to suppress a bit of a smirk. "Er... anyway, I'm sorry. I shouldn't judge you without having met you." he quickly added.

"That's... funny... because I'm getting the strangest feeling that I've seen you somewhere... before." Pterano said, but his memory was unable to rise to the challenge.

"Once again sir, I'm sure the shock has simply confused you. We haven't met. Now then, why don't you go to Petrie's home? I'll do a quick look in this area on the ground. I'm a very fast runner after all, and then I'll go and notify those who should know in case he cannot be located. Calm yourself sir... I'm sure he'll show up." that last bit was said very slowly and deliberately, and he reached out to pat the flyer's shoulder. "Nice, deep breaths now, OK? Calm yourself... we'll find him." another few pats, and the hypsilophodon was off, jogging past Pterano to begin his search.

Pterano tried to follow the advice, but found it was next to impossible. He needed to see if Petrie was safe back at the nest. Beating his wings furiously again, the flyer launched himself off the ground, and began flying as fast as his wings could carry him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was nearly dark by the time he reached the nest. To his dismay, the nest was indeed occupied, but by everyone in the family except Petrie. "No... no" he whispered at the revelation, shaking his head as he dropped to the ground, his legs giving out as he fell to his knees. "No... no! NO!" he sobbed, tears starting to form in his eyes. "NO!" He slammed his fist into the ground, kicking up turf and sending dirt flying. "No! No! No! NO!" he fiercely dug his claws into the ground, his entire frame shuddering as he tried to rip into the very earth itself.

The first thing that jarred through his mind was why did these things always have to occur to him? Why was he always on the verge of regaining everything, only to have it ripped from his claw tips? The second thing that forced its way in was who would do such a thing to a child? Who had taken Petrie? Children were so innocent. Helpless. Who could possibly have wanted to take Petrie? He had no enemies here... or did he?

He started to choke, unable to breath as his throat refused to cooperate. He could hear his sister at his side, asking him what was wrong, shaking his shoulders, calling into his ear. The others... if the others found out... they would pin him to a rock. Blame would be tossed squarely on his shoulders. Not again... he couldn't do this.

His eyes swam, his vision blurred, and he felt as if the ground was teetering under his legs and hands. He sank onto the ground, prostrate before his sister. "Forgive me... forgive me..." he wailed, repeating the phrase over and over. "Forgive me... Petrie... Petrie's gone..."

"GONE!?" his sister roared, anger initially sweeping over her. "What do you mean GONE? Where is he? Where's my son? Answer me Pterano!" she shook him again, but he found he was unable to rise from his position.

"I... I fell asleep. We flew together and he took me to a place and... I... fell asleep. I NEVER should have done that!" he moaned, glancing up at her with fearful eyes. "We both fell asleep... and when I woke up... he was gone."  he whispered, shuddering now, as if winter had suddenly decided to blast him with chilly winds.

At first, she only stared at him, wide eyed, her expression uncomprehending. But then, as the reality of it sunk in, her look of disbelief was replaced with one of steely determination. "Then we'll call a meeting. Somebody somewhere must have seen him. Oh Pterano, how could you have let this happen? It was just a flight! You were just supposed to take him flying!" she snapped. "How hard is that? To watch your own nephew?"

"I know... I know." he said, hanging his head again and burying it into the ground. "Were I capable of going back I would never have fallen asleep on that ledge! Please madam... please... don't tell the others. I'll find him. I'll bring him back." he pleaded.

"Pterano... we HAVE to let the others know. I'm calling a meeting this instant. The others need to be informed."

He trembled again, terrified of the consequences. "Please..." he said again, whimpering.

"Beg later! I'm going to go round up everyone." She flew up a few feet, then paused, and looked down at him. "WATCH my nest. You can do that... can't you?" she asked, glaring at him, to which he feebly nodded.

"Yes madam... yes of course." he pushed himself up to kneeling, hands clenched and filled with dirt and and blades of grass that stuck out all askew.

"Good. I'll be back soon." she gave him one last look, and flew off. Her brother had many faults, though she promised herself she wouldn't be gone long. She didn't personally suspect him of having done anything, though she knew that certain others would.

Pterano watched her go, his eyes sparkling in the darkness as the tears once more welled up. "Children..." he sniffled, turning around to look at them, but not rising from his knees. "Stay put... your mother will be back soon." he turned back around, gazing down at the ground, watching the grass grow a bit darker wherever his tears fell. "Oh!" he sobbed, unable to contain himself any longer. "Petrie!" He once more fell forward, landing on his face, crying uncontrollably into the earth, his whole body convulsing, racked with guilt and fear over what might happen next. "Forgive me." he sputtered. "Forgive me... I'm so... so... sorry... I'm so sorry... I'm sorry."

His whispers were stolen by the wind and carried swiftly away, leaving the weeping flyer alone with his grief.

(runner up)
(runner up)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Oooh! Now we're gettin somewhere. Funny I had a feeling this would happen...

I hope Petrie's okay.

But last time I checked, this would be chapter three.  Unless I missed something. :blink:
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Good catch, it's now Chapter 3. XD As said, I reworked a lot of this, so it probably got mixed up in the file transfers and rewritings. XD

Anyways, thanks! And yes, the conflict has now been introduced! Who's taken Petrie, and for what purpose?

Oh, and my copy of Stone of Cold Fire came today! I'm ecstatic!

(runner up)
(runner up)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's starting to get exciting, which I like. Interesting how brightneck talked to Pterano, so mysterious and stuff.

Kind of bad how Pterano doesn't want anyone to know about it. It shows that Pterano's not really being responsible, even though he does really care. It's like how he didn't want to talk at all about what happened to that herd.

Anyway, good chapter, update soon  :)
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Vonboy, yes, Brightneck has some secrets about him. :)

Yes, Pterano is naturally fearful of the repercussions, and letting his self-preservation instinct get the better of him. It is rather reminiscent of the past, like you said. :)

And thanks again to my readers! Here is Chapter 4... the REAL chapter 4. XD This week has really sucked for me, but writing this cheered me up a bit (not that the chapter is very cheery, but writing itself is a good picker upper).

----------------------------

Chapter 4: A Matter of Guilt

"As I said before, I fell asleep." Pterano stated, standing in the middle of the group of elders. After holding an initial meeting the night before, the Great Valley denizens had decided to wait and see if Petrie would return overnight. When he had not, a new meeting was called very early the next morning. Pterano now found he had to answer for himself, and explain to the best of his abilities what had occurred.

"You fell asleep?" Mr. Threehorn grunted. "A likely story. You probably made off with Petrie yourself!"

"I would never stoop to such levels!" Pterano shot back, anger passing over his features. "I would not harm my own family... or anyone else for that matter! I'm telling the truth! I fell asleep, and when I woke up, he was gone!"

"Yet nobody else can confirm that!" Topsy retorted. "You have nobody else who can back that story up. Who's to say you didn't just snatch your nephew and fly off somewhere? Why, for all we know, Pterano could have taken him out to the Mysterious Beyond!"

"No! I've never heard of such rubbish in my entire life!" the flyer responded, folding his arms over his chest. "How dare you insinuate I would do such a thing? I promised you here yesterday that I would do my best for this valley! That I would make a difference!"

"You have!" Threenhorn snarled. "You stole Petrie and made off with him!"

"Please, please!" Littlefoot's grandfather spoke up now. "There is no proof that Pterano took Petrie. We don't even know if Petrie's been taken in the first place."

"Well I say he was! How else do you explain his vanishing and not coming home last night? All his other friends made it home, but he's the only one who hasn't been seen since yesterday afternoon! He hasn't changed! It's just like what happened before! Pterano's hiding something from us!"

"No! I'm telling you the truth!" the flyer insisted, growing disturbed by this line of questioning. "I really don't know what happened! I swear! Mr. Brightneck. You found no sign of him then?" Pterano inquired of the chaperone.

Brightneck shook his head. "No. I searched high and low I'm afraid. Wasn't a trace of him in that area of the valley. I'm sorry. I looked well into the night." he closed his eyes and sighed sadly. "I doubt Petrie simply wandered off. He would have been easier to find if that were the case."

"See?" Threenhorn nearly roared. "I swear Pterano, if I get even the slightest inkling that you're behind this, I'll..."

But a voice suddenly cut him off. "Stop! You have no proof whatsoever that Pterano did this!" Threenhorn looked around, wondering who would dare to interrupt him. His eyes flooded with surprise when he noticed Littlefoot standing in front of the flyer. "I don't know what happened in the past." Littlefoot continued. "At least not all of it. But I genuinely believe that Pterano saw Petrie as his favorite nephew! I've always believed that, even from when I first saw him. I mean yeah, he was really hard to trust at the time, but just... everything that's happened since then... look at how Pterano left us five cold times ago. He promised he'd prove he was trustworthy. And just because Petrie vanished while with his uncle doesn't mean that Pterano did it. What if..." here Littlefoot paused, unsure if he should make such a guess. He finally decided he needed to bring it to light however.

"What if there's someone here who would want to hurt Pterano, and they took Petrie to do so?" this caused a rather large ruckus, and voices immediately erupted around the little longneck. Murmurs arose of who would be bold enough to do such a thing. It was Threenhorn who finally decided to voice the general concern.

"HURT Pterano? If I wanted to hurt him, I'd do it right now!" he glared right at the flyer, who shivered a little, but still managed a defiant look. "Who of us would ever do such a thing? We aren't like that. We don't believe in that kind of thing. Such nonsense from a child. No offense Littlefoot, but you're young. You don't know Pterano like we know him." the threenhorn rolled his eyes, huffing.

"Well... I admit... I can't think of anyone who WOULD... but we already know that Pterano isn't the most popular of us here in the valley." Littlefoot went on.

"Pfft! Instead of wasting time trying to figure out which one of us MIGHT have been even remotely interested in harming Pterano, we should be focusing on finding Petrie!" Threenhorn said, brushing aside Littlefoot's suspicion.

"Well I can think of several who would have such an 'interest'" Pterano murmured, looking right at Mr. Threenhorn, though thankful that the triceratops had not heard him.

"Littlefoot is right." his grandfather spoke up. "We don't have any direct proof that Pterano is behind any of this, only our personal suspicions, and that's not enough. We should divide ourselves into search parties, and sweep the valley. If we all work on finding Petrie, we may find some clue as to his whereabouts, or even Petrie himself." There were some mutterings, but generally, the crowd voiced their consent.

"I'll lead a group to search the part of the valley where the Bright Circle rises." Petrie's mother offered. "And so that everyone knows this, I don't believe my brother to be the one behind this. He may have blundered in the past... but I just don't see him hurting his family." she insisted.

"Your point is made. I'll take the opposite end, where it sinks." Grandpa Longneck added.

"I'll lead a group to search the area close to where you'd go if you wanted to head to the Smoking Mountains." Brightneck chimed in, referring to the northern part of the Great Valley.

"Mr. Threenhorn, why don't you search the opposite end from Brightneck, then?" Littlefoot's grandfather suggested.

"I'd rather keep an eye on that slippery flyer... but very well. Though mark my words. If we find out you did this... I'll personally nail you to a rock, and I'm pretty sure you don't have to stretch your imagination to picture what I'll be using to do so." Topsy said, giving Pterano a threatening look as he pointed a horn right in his direction.

"That's enough. We'll meet back here at sundown." Grandpa Longneck stated. "And Pterano... you'd best not leave the Great Valley for now, that is, if you wish to stay in good faith."

"Of course sir. I wouldn't dream of it. My nephew... he's gone missing. I couldn't simply abandon him like that." the flyer said, sniffling a little, causing Topsy to roll his eyes again and shake his head. The adults began to divide themselves up into groups, and Pterano was left standing in the middle with Littlefoot.

"Oh Littlefoot. How kind of you to defend me in such a dark time. But why? Why does one so innocent and pure as yourself place himself on the line to protect me? Maybe Mr. Threenhorn is right. Perhaps I'm not worth the effort." Pterano said, despondently.

"Aw come on. I don't really think you did something like this. I think you truly learned your lesson from before. Besides, I think we should be focusing on who would want to do this to you... and to Petrie."

"But... I can't think of anyone here who would seek to harm me... and especially seek to harm my nephew! It's so different when you target a child. It's just so... I don't know how to describe it. So personal. You're hurting more than just your intended victim. You scar the family as well, and the friends. Who would do something like that?" Pterano speculated.

"Yeah Littlefoot." the voice was from Cera, who was wandering up with the rest of the gang. "We don't know anyone here who'd do something like that. My first guess would've been Pterano." she said, looking up at him. "So what makes you so sure that one of our own did this?"

Littlefoot shook his head. "I dunno... but something just feels... wrong about this. It doesn't feel right to call Pterano out on this one. Something inside me just tells me he's changed. What would he gain from doing this after all? Kidnapping Petrie would only make him look worse. He has nothing good to get from doing this. It's just... wrong. It doesn't make sense to me if I blame Pterano." Littlefoot explained. "He'd hurt any chance he'd have of staying here, and he seemed like he wanted to live here more than anything when we exiled him. So that's why I just don't think it was him. The others may think so because of what he did and how he acted before... but I wasn't around to see any of that. All I know is what I saw with my own eyes back then. This just feels wrong." the longneck reiterated.

"But how will we find out who did this Littlefoot? We have nothing to go on, we do not, oh no, no, no, no." this coming from Ducky, who sadly shook her head, looking at the ground. She was taking this rather rough, as some might say Petrie was her best friend. She was however, trying to maintain her usual cheery composure, for what it was worth, though most everyone could see through the facade.

"I don't know... I don't even have a clue where to start looking." Littlefoot admitted. He glanced back at Pterano. "If it means anything, I believe you're innocent. We'll find whoever did this... somehow." he said, still inwardly debating how exactly they would do this.

"Thank you Littlefoot. You're always so... well, strong." Pterano stated. "Your father and mother, they would be so proud of you." He said, his voice genuine and sincere.  

"They would?" Littlefoot asked, blinking.

"Indeed." Pterano said with a nod, albeit a sad one. "From what I've heard of them... they would. They were far better suited than I ever was to be the leaders of the herd... though I doubt they ever would have sought it. Oh... do be careful." he added. "Please don't get yourselves into trouble over this. I'm ultimately responsible, and if anyone should suffer in locating Petrie, it should be me, not any of you." he reminded them.

"Petrie's our friend though... we can't just sit back and do nothing. We never do that anyways." Littlefoot declared.

"Ha... I suppose you do not. But please... be careful. Come to me first... I'd rather tell you to not do this... but I just know you wouldn't listen to me regardless. Just stay out of trouble... and try and let me handle this. I'll... try and think of something. Retrace my steps perhaps." the flyer suggested.

Littlefoot nodded, and ushered his friends over to a spot just outside the circle, so they could talk in more privacy and discuss their next moves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was some time later when the search parties departed. They were all heading for opposite ends of the valley, hoping to be systematic in their search. Pterano sighed, watching the gang head off as well, though to where he knew not. He was soon left to his own devices, though did little more than look down at the ground and shift his feet every so often.

"Oh Petrie... I promised you I'd protect you... why can't I ever keep my word? I promised that herd I'd see them to safety... and they all perished. I promised myself that I'd find the Stone of Cold Fire... and grant myself enough magic to ensure a paradise for everyone. I Just..." tears formed in his eyes again as he sniffed. "I just can't ever keep my word. Why can't I ever do anything right? I've changed... I really have. At least I'd like to think so. But was it all for nothing? Am I still to suffer?"

He stiffened a little, determination growing on his face as he thought of something. "No! No! I'm not the one who's suffering! Petrie is! Petrie is because of my stupidity! If I'd only been more careful with him! He's suffering because of my neglect! I can't allow this!" he angrily stated. "I've got to find him! I'd do anything to do so, in fact!"

"Anything?" a voice said, a shadow passing over Pterano now as he felt a rush of wind. A noise sounded from behind him, and it was clear a flyer had landed. "Well now... that's just what I wanted to hear." the voice was low, like the whisper of a dull breeze that would moan through a tunnel. "See... I know where your nephew is, and who took him, if you're interested, but that's a rhetorical question, because of course you are."

Pterano felt a shiver travel down his spine, and he slowly began to turn to face whoever it was that was addressing him.

(runner up)
(runner up)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Neat chapter, like always. Oh chee, I wonder who the voice could've came from.  :rolleyes:
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It... might not be who you think it is.  :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Very nice chapter. Nice that Littlefoot joined in on the meeting and stood up for Pterano.

And I don't see the next chapter ending well for Pterano. I think he's just going to get the valley even more angry at him, even though he doesn't mean to.

Why am I getting the poor schmuck vibe for Pterano?

I'm really looking forward to what happens next :)
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh, cliffhanger.

Nice chapter, I knew Mr. Three-horn was probably going to blame Pterano for this, as usual. Hm, I wonder who that voice is...

Looking forward to the next chapter! ;)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
And so, we come to the next chapter, at long last. Well took me a few days, but here it is! And yes, thanks to everyone who reviewed! Had some good comments, and now we'll reveal who that voice is... as I'm sure everyone has their guesses.  :smile

-----------------------

Chapter 5: A Challenge

Pterano turned slowly, not recognizing the voice. Much to his surprise, the voice was revealed to belong to the albino flyer that he and his nephew had glimpsed earlier. "You!" Pterano exclaimed, otherwise lost for words.

"Heheh, hello there Pterano."

"How do you know my name?" Pterano demanded.

"Doesn't matter. I know where your nephew's been taken..."

"I swear, if you've harmed him, then I'll..."

"Yes, yes, I'm sure you'll get very upset. But if you bring harm upon me, you'll never see little Petrie again. Well... you might see him dead, but most certainly not alive. You see... turns out that I'm just the messenger, and doing something to me will make my uh... boss pretty upset."

"Boss?" Pterano asked, raising a brow. "What sort of monster would kidnap a child?"

"Someone like... oh I dunno, you maybe?" the albino asked, fixing Pterano with a stare, to which the flyer merely gulped. "Come on, you can't throw insults at me or my boss. It doesn't work that way. He knows everything about you... and hence I know everything about you."

"Then... whatever he's promised you, I'll... try and... double it. Triple even!" Pterano stammered.

"Not interested. You can't give me anything that would fascinate me. See... I'm much more fascinated by the results YOU'LL be achieving... or perhaps failing to do so, depending on your actions. That's what interests me."

"Why have you done this? Where is my nephew?" Pterano asked, looking around him, but noting that most of the adults had already gone off in their search parties, and the children were safely behind him out of earshot. Best not to involve them, the way he saw it.

"You'll find out... IF you do exactly as I say. If you don't... then" here he paused to chuckle wickedly, baring his fangs as he laughed. "Now then. I'll cut right to the point. My boss thinks you're nothing but a lowly coward, a cheat, and a scoundrel. He thinks you haven't changed your ways, and he's willing to go to some lengths to prove it. He's got... ohhhh let's see... a few tasks for you to complete."

"Tasks?" Pterano snapped. "What is this? A game? What sort of twisted..."

"Shut up!" the albino yelled. "Quiet... I'm talking. Now then... as I was saying, you have a set number of tasks. You have... certain ways you need to complete each one. You are allowed to fail a certain amount as well, though that will remain secret on just how many you can safely forfeit, so to speak."

"So what is this? An attempt to what? Discredit me?" Pterano wasn't liking the sound of this. He had finally lived out his exile, and yet it seemed that old grudges still had not been buried. Who was the one behind this? "Can you at least tell me your boss's name?"

"Hahahah!" the albino guffawed, as if Pterano had just cracked the best joke this side of the Great Valley. "Errrr no. That would more than somewhat defeat the purpose, now wouldn't it?"

"Then... how do I know that Petrie will come to no harm? What assurances do I have?"

The albino frowned, as he considered this a moment. "I guess you don't have any... but what choice do you really have? You either agree to this, and MAYBE see your nephew again, which I assure you, you will, or you don't do this and NEVER see your nephew again. Pretty simple if you ask me."

"You despicable little..."

"Uh uh... as I said, insults will get you nowhere." the white skinned flyer reminded him. "I can't give you any assurances... except that you WILL see Petrie again if you pass. My boss wants to make sure of that. It all relies on you and your actions though, Pterano. You and your actions will decide your nephew's fate. To what extreme are you willing to go to save him? I suppose we'll find out, won't we? You strike me as a rather considerable egotist after all, one who's rather in love with himself. Guess we'll see just how much you're willing to risk. Now... come along then. Your first little... quest awaits."

The albino turned to go, but Pterano called out to him. "Wait! What do I call you?"

"Sorry, but my parents weren't very original. Name's Redeye, and I saw no reason to change it. Now, you coming, or what?" he asked, looking behind him over his shoulder.

"And just... where are we going?" Pterano inquired, still not leaving the ground.

"Hmph. Outside. To the Smoking Mountains." was the reply.

"W-wait a minute!" Pterano protested, raising a hand. "I can't leave the Great Valley! You must have heard the others! If I leave I'll risk their trust in me! What's out there that's so important?" he asked, turning skeptical.

"You'll find OUT when we GET there." Redeye was clearly growing annoyed at this recalcitrance. "I'm not going to spoil it ahead of time. Where's the fun in that? I'll SHOW you what you have to do, and you can either do it or back out. I don't care. For the last time... you coming or not?" he fixed his eerie red gaze upon Pterano.

Pterano looked away, down at the ground. Could he really do this? Could he break his word and leave the Great Valley?

"Oh boohoo, I'll have you back before the Great Circle even sinks! No one will know you were ever gone... and I guess if they find out... then it isn't exactly my problem either. One chance Pterano. One chance or I fly outta here, and good look getting me to talk. I've endured pain worse than I'm sure you'd be capable of delivering... and besides... torture just... isn't your style." Redeye declared with a knowing tone of voice. "So... you coming? Staying? Which is it? If you choose to stay... then good luck finding anything further. You'll never see me or Petrie again. So hurry up! Make up your mind!" he barked.

Pterano raised his eyes, anger and determination set within them. "Fine... but if you go back on your word... well there's a first time for everything, isn't there?" he asked rhetorically.

"Ooooh scary. I'm shivering and quaking, believe me." Redeye replied sarcastically. "Now let's go! Wasting time!" The albino took off into the air, and Pterano followed suit. The flyer glanced behind him down at the Great Valley, hoping no one was watching his movements. He would have to do this quickly, if at all possible. He needed to be back in the Great Valley by the time the Great Circle sank, because if he wasn't, it could spell trouble.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Littlefoot was walking with his remaining friends, minus Petrie of course. They had wandered considerably farther off from Pterano that by the time he took off with Redeye, they were mostly out of sight. "So what's your plan, Littlefoot? I really don't see how we're going to find Petrie. My dad could be right after all. He might have been taken out into the Mysterious Beyond. If that's the case it's hopeless." Cera said, as much as she hated to admit that.

"Well... I figure that rather than focus on finding Petrie... because you're right, we don't even know where to start looking... maybe we should focus instead on finding whoever took Petrie. I could be dead wrong, but maybe we should be trying to find out who would want to hurt either Petrie or, more importantly, who would want to hurt Pterano." Littlefoot suggested.

"Maybe the two flyers he was with before?" Ducky offered. "Rinkus and Sierra?"

"I dunno. Maybe. But if they're back here, they've certainly done a good job of hiding themselves. We haven't seen any indication that they've returned. But right now, they're the only ones I can think of off the top of my head." the longneck confessed. "I really don't have any other ideas."

Up ahead, they could see a very familiar dinosaur, and one that was not so familiar. "Hey! I think that's Hyp! And um... is that his well... what do you call someone you're courting?" he asked. The two ahead of them were a purple looking hypsilophodon, which was Hyp, and one that was far more indigo in coloration, being of a very deep blue. The two noticed the approaching gang almost right off, and Hyp appeared to be nervously figuring out what to say as they drew closer.

"Hey Hyp!" Littlefoot called out as they came up to the pair.

"Hey hatchlings!" Hyp responded, until the female standing next to him elbowed him in the ribs. "Owww!"

"Hyp! That's not very nice."

"Er... I mean, hey guys!" he tried again. "Er... hey... friends?" he was getting clumsier as he went on. The female rolled her eyes, shaking her head.

"You must be the young ones that Hyp used to bully all the time growing up. It's sort of amusing, but I heard it all from Hyp's father, and he also told me that Hyp learned a few things from all of you that he never forgot."

"I didn't bully them!" Hyp quickly cut in.

"What? Hah! That's a laugh!" Cera said, walking right up to him. "You didn't bully US? You want to rethink that a little?" she snorted.

"Er... well OK, I guess I did a little bit. But that's all in the past! We're friends now, honest!" Hyp said defensively.

"And who are you? Sorry, but I don't think we've met yet." Littlefoot broke in, looking over at the smiling female.

"Ah! Of course! Hyp never introduces me to anyone he knows, save of course for those rather goofy friends of his, Mutt and Nod. I'm Selene." she placed a hand on her front, bowing her head. "A pleasure to meet all of you. I've heard a little here and there, once again mostly from Hyp's father."

And are you the one that he's... courting?" Littlefoot inquired.

"Why yes, that would be me. Hyp here is quite the softy, so I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned you more." she playfully punched his arm.

"Selene!" he whined. "Stop... just... um, what brings you all here?" he asked, trying to change the subject.

"Well, we're trying to figure out who might want to harm Pterano in this valley. We're coming up a little empty though, sadly." Littlefoot said, frowning a bit.

"Oh yeah... Selene and I watched that this morning. It was... well I don't know much about that guy after all. He seems OK, but what do I know? Never met him face to face." Hyp explained.

"Ah! Trying to find your alternative answer, are you?" Selene asked, eyes shining. "You know, I rather liked your theory this morning. All that bravado and courage to stand up for your beliefs! Hyp here should learn to assert himself more, shouldn't you Hyp?" she asked, in a more cooing tone of voice.

"Oh come on! I assert myself just fine!"

"You do not! Well you do I suppose, but you could be better at it. Anyway, I seem to have gotten distracted... where was I? Oh yes! That's right! Well I think your theory holds water. Why wouldn't it after all? What you were saying made sense, even if you don't have any solid ideas yet. Mysteries always have a way of keeping themselves obscure at first, otherwise they wouldn't very well be mysteries, now would they?" she asked. "Perhaps we could help?" she suggested, looking down at the group, who blinked in surprise.

"Us? Help?" Hyp asked. "But Selene... I was never any good at mystery games. They always made my head hurt. And Nod ALWAYS figured it out before I ever could. It wasn't fair. I kept thinking he was cheating, but I couldn't determine how."

"I doubt that." Selene responded. "How can you cheat at a mystery game, unless you know the answer ahead of time? I think he was probably just better at them than you were, no offense dear." she said, pecking him on the cheek.

"Ahhh jeez! Selene!" Hyp protested.

"Hm-hm, well, if we hear or see anything, we'll be sure to let you know." Selene continued, ignoring Hyp's protests.

"Well gee... thanks." Littlefoot said, unsure how to respond to this, though somehow, he had to admit it was good seeing such a... dominant female in Hyp's life. He wasn't sure, but she seemed rather like the perfect type for him, for some reason. "We were thinking about looking around the area where Petrie disappeared. We know it, from how Pterano described it. We're probably going to go and look around there."

Selene nodded, and waved as they began to head off. "Well good luck! Now come on Hyp!" she tugged on his arm. "You promised me some lunch. So let's get going!"

"Uh... right! Coming!" he said, being dragged along until he could finally draw even with her and begin to walk off in the opposite direction from the gang. "Do you really think they'll find anything?"

"I don't know, but I figured it would be good to encourage them. Such an awful thing that's happened after all. I'm sure someone somewhere must have heard or seen something. The truth is impossible to fully cover up after all, since the truth actually took place, and exists. It's not some fabrication, and we know for a fact that that flyer really did go missing... so something had to have happened."

"I... guess that makes sense." Hyp said, scratching his head with his free hand.

"Well I hope they do find something. I don't like this one bit. I think Littlefoot may have been on to something this morning. We'll discuss it further over lunch." she insisted, pulling him along.

(runner up)
(runner up)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow, I was not expecting that! Not exactly anyway. The strange thing is, the more I read this chapter, the more of an idea I got of who I think this boss is. I'm more interested in the boss's identity that I was for the voice's identity last chapter.

CRAZY HAIR-BRAINED THEORY TIME!!!

I'm going to go the bold route, and say it's Mr. Threehorn!

People might think I'm crazy, but a few things just pop out at me. For one, Trulyfantasticme brought up a good point about Mr.Threehorn's family. His wife and other kids could have been with the herd Pterano lead to their deaths, and I'd see that as a great reason for Topsy to do this.

The other thing is Redeye saying Petrie is gonna die if Pterano doesn't pass. I actually think thats a cope out. Redeye says revealing who the boss is would ruin the test. I think thats because if Pterano knows that it's Mr. Threehorn behind all of this, then he would know that no harm would befall Petrie, which would get rid of his only reason to do this test in the first place.

This would kind of make this story less urgent though. (If that makes sense.)

That aside, great chapter Pterano. This story suddenly got a lot more interesting!
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Nice chapter as always.  :rolleyes: But when are you gonna get to Petrie?

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Finished reading through this. It's awesome! Hmm, I've got some theories of my own, but I won't spill what I think just yet, makes it easier to pretend all along I knew the answer ;) LOL, no I won't cheat like that. Very intriquing though.