The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Swords, Sorcery, Science, & Steampunk

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
August 1897 AD

((Plot A)) London, England:

The center of the British Empire awoke into a bustling metropolis in its usual daily routine, with only a few recent exceptions...

Following the months of discovery, excavation, and transportation of artifacts from the Ottoman Empire to the famed British Museum, the expedition's leader, Dr James Corban, was found dead in his study back in London.  The police won't describe the nature of the deceased, but rumors and gossip quickly spread like wildfire of a curse placed by those who built the artifacts thousands of years ago.  The scientific community mourned the loss of the adventurer, but the grieving was short-lived, and the quickly focused themselves on the preparations to display the new exhibits in honor of his namesake and reputation.

But as opening day loomed closer to attract millions of intrigued spectators, dark forces lie in wait for their chances at a deadly secret hidden deep within the unheeded warnings etched in the unearthed stones taken from where they were meant to be buried...

----------

((Plot C)) Bombay, British Raj (Mumbai, India)

The sun rises over the British Dominion of India and Bombay, opening another day of commerce both local and international.  Sea-faring and cloud-skipping ships from across the globe dock and depart from the ports of Mumbai and towering spires north of the city.

For all of the trading of culture and goods, few would discover of preparations for a private, invigorating yet perilous expedition to the most unexplored mountain ranges north of the colony...

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
((Plot A))

In the Middle East Wing of the British Museum, a young lady collie named Jeanine is overseeing the massive renovations for the new exhibits, laid out like a re-constructed tomb of a king yet to be named, but in art seeming to pre-date even the oldest of civilizations of the time.  As much as she was devoted to her late teacher's work, something about the exhibit seemed to keep the fur on the back of her neck standing on edge.  Yet she flipped through her "Infinite Longbook" to reassess her findings from the expedition in order to prepare for her full presentation to the scientific world...

At the center of the room, towered a stone-carved sarcophagus much larger than that of ordinary people, but none have yet opened the tomb to truly measure the size of the deceased within, and that was currently forbidden for the threat of destruction of the contents within due to exposure.  Jeanine looked at the coffin and a shiver ran down her spine.

----------

Walking from a hotel near the docks where he disembarked the day before, a young Italian man ventured into the hustling and bustling of the English metropolis...

----------
((Plot C))

Near the airship docking spires north of Bombay, lay a small "town" of warehouses and maintenance docks for repairs and construction of local, commercial, and a few mercenary airships.  One such ship bay housed an aero sail ship undergoing restorations from earlier excursions, one of which resulted in a mid-air gun fight with a more heavily armed airship.

The ship's captain, a female human mercenary named Melanie Smith, or Captain Smith to her crew, was looking over the modifications when one of her crew ran to her from outside, gripping a wad of paper in her hand.

"Hey Capt'!" the dingo crewman shouted.  "I found another job for us!"

Melanie rolled her eyes and grabbed the paper from the dingo, and had to straighten it out to read what it said.  "Now hiring.  An able team and aeronautical vehicle for private expedition.  Well paid.  See Doctor Arnold Schultz, Tibetan Archaeology..."  She paused to contemplate...

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
((Plot A))

Before the main entrance to the British Museum stood middle-aged human, who wore simple but elegant white suit. His name was Adam, but this day he had come to this place as a journalist called Thomas Morgan. A few days ago he contacted Museum's director, asking him to let him visit the new exihibit before opening. Director had been very cooperative, as soon as he heard Adam was going to write an article about new exposition for New York Journal. He even offered help of Jeanine Mertz, an archaeologist who assisted Dr James Corban with bringing the artifacts to the heart of British Empire. It was easier than Adam had expected...

Adam took out his pocket watch and checked it. It was a few minutes before agreed time. His guide should be here soon.

(I hope this is a good reason for Adam and Jeanine to meet :) )
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
(Plot A)

Jon, an anthro dragon, arrived at the museum.  He was dressed in upper middle class type of clothing.  He had a cane, a swordcane, and looked at his pocket watch as he arrived.  He walked up casually towards the entrance, in no hurry.  He nodded to the other person present once he saw him.  He made sure his hat was on straight, though not super picky about how he was dressed in a city, he did pay some attention.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
((Plot A))

An assistant quickly walks down into the Middle East chamber.  "Dr Mertz?  Dr Mertz!  Mr Morgan is here!"

Jeanine looked up and gave a frustrated sigh.  "I'll be right there!" she called back, and took a quick beeline towards a staff doorway that leads to her office in one of the rooms.  She was not thrilled at all with the press for any reason, but the director jumped down her throat for this interview.  And even though she now runs the program, she still has to jump through hoops with the hierarchy with "public relations".  Once she reached her office, she slips her "Infinite Logbook" into a safe place, and then hurried out to meet the American journalist in the entrance...

----------

The Italian weaved through the crowds until he came upon a clearing before what seems to be a museum.  Intrigued, he headed for the entrance...

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
((Plot A))

Adam watched as one fur was approaching. Was it the archaeologist director had told him about? Was she a collie? Check. Gold fur? Check. Brown ears? Check. Middle-class casual dress? Check. It was probably her, so he called her:

"Dr Mertz, I presume? Hello, I am Thomas Morgan from New York Journal." He gave her his best I-very-much-appreciate-you-taking-time-to-show-me-around smile.
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
(plot A)

Jon briefly watched the interaction and seeing that he likely arrived early casually walked off, making it look as if he had just briefly stopped in front of the museum for a moment before walking on where he was going.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
((Plot A))

Jeanine walked outside to meet the man introducing himself as Thomas Morgan.  "I am Dr Mertz, thank you.  I know the museum director had talked to you, and you'd like to do an article of the Corban expedition.  Right now, we're having a major renovation for our new exhibit, so I can't allow any tours to keep them at their peak.  These deadlines are murder!"

----------

The Italian reached the stairs to the entrance of the museum.  With the low number of people around here, he was not sure if it was closed or not.

He turned to see a dragon starting to walk away, and started into a jog to reach him.  "Mi scusi!  Mi scusi, signore!"

----------

((Plot C))

In a richer part of town, usually inhabited by British and other foreign nationals, sat one home leased to Dr Arnold Schultz, an aging explorer and professor, with at least one more adventure left in him...

----------

Bordering the neighborhood, a young human boy stands on a busy street with a wooden box full of toys.  "Get these wonderful toys for your children!  Just one of these, and your kids will be entertained for days!"

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Jon stopped and turned to see if the person was talking to him.  "Yes?" He asked in a polite manner not sure what the person could want with him.  His cane held in one hand, more apparently part of his fashion and not due to his having to use it.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
((Plot A))

"I know that this isn't exactly the right time to give interviews and I apologize for disturbing your work, but my employers were insisting on getting this story, Doctor," he said, spreading his arms helplessly, as if saying: 'I have to do what I'm told either'. "They are sure that our readers would love to read about this new exhibit. It's on everybody's lips after all."

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
((Plot A))

The Italian reached the dragon, who stopped.  "Mi scusi, signore," he started, "I'm obviously not from here, but may I ask you if this building here is a museum, and if it is open?"

----------

Jeanine sighed.  "All I can do for you now is answer questions about the exhibit, plus I'm sure the museum director gave you an exclusive pass to the grand opening," she replied.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Jon nodded, "It is a museum, but I thought it was open.  It appears I was mistaken and it is not open quiet as of yet.  When were you told it was open?" He asked curiously standing in a relaxed manner.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
((Plot A))

"I honestly don't know, signore," the Italian replied.  "I would've figured this time of day that even this place is open.  It's strange that very few people are near here."

----------

In fact, the museum is still open, save for the Middle East wing.  But the signs of remodeling may have brought the feeling to the outside that the museum may have been closed.

"We can go to the concession room inside for a drink while I answer questions," Jeanine added.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Jon shrugged, "if you want you can try knocking on the door or just walking in.  It may be partially open.  But it looks closed to me.  I'm not sure what to advise you to do." Jon said looking at the museum. "I may come back next week or month.  It may be open by then."

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
"I'll take a look anyway," the Italian replied.  "Grazie, signore."  He bowed his head and turned back to the museum entrance.  For a museum he does not know about, he actually seems devoted to knowing more...

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Outside the museum, a fox clad in a black trenchcoat and wide-brimmed black hat stepped around the crowds, stepping into a back door of the museum.  Once inside, he looked around and then waited for...something...

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Meanwhile, inside the Middle East section of the museum was taped off to the public, while the workers within were hard at work in setting up the new exhibit, taking careful strides not to damage any of the artifacts.  The room has turned into a reconstructed tomb like it once was back in Persia, centered by a massive sarcophagus.  The outer stone section of the coffin was worn of all writing or designs, but the sheer size of it dwarfs any average being when stood on its feet...

----------

As Jeanine talked with the reporter, she noticed another person coming their way.  Now what... she thought.

"Mi scusi," the young man, obviously Italian by the sound of his voice.  "Is this museum open?"

Jeanine paused with a dumbfounded look on her face at the question, but then she looked around the courtyard to see that there still have not been many people around, even when the place was still open.  Her demeanor changed.  "Of course, sir!  You can go right on in!  We just have a new exhibit being remodeled for a few days.  I'm sure someone inside will help you."