The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Isn't it crazy?

While obviously I'd prefer it keep going on forever, there is something elegant about the fact that the show started in 2010, the beginning of the decade, and is now ending in 2019. Humanity defines its pop culture by decades, and few shows have made such a huge impact on a single era of pop culture as the My Little Pony craze did on the 2010s. Nothing lasts forever, so it's kinda cool to think MLP and the 2010s will always be inextricably linked.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's this week's Equestria Girls short (as released on YouTube), featuring Twilight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEwVUgR3tPg

Spoiler: ShowHide
Pinkie Pie has helped Twilight arrange a social gathering at the planetarium. Among the people attending is famous astrophysicist Rosette Nebula, who Twilight really wants to meet, but is also quite nervous about it. However, every time Twilight tries to walk up to Rosette, Pinkie's efforts to encourage Twilight instead end up embarrassing her into immediately backing off. Eventually, Pinkie decides to share a chocolate cake with space-themed frosting, which leads Twilight to unknowingly sharing a scientific fact with Rosette, which finally breaks the ice between them and allows the two to start sharing a conversation on scientific therories.

As someone who loves watching science documentaries (particularly on physics and astronomy), I absolutely loved the subject of this particular short, and it's nice to find out that the Equestria Girls world has a renowned astrophysicist (and since I'm familiar with some of the big names in that field of science in our world, I can totally sympathize with Twilight). Also, we saw in the background some of the other people in attendance were Sunset Shimmer and Timber Spruce, with the latter apparently trying to cheer up Twilight after Pinkie's antics had caused problems.

Next week, in addition to another Equestria Girls short, there's the one-hour Equestria Girls special "Spring Breakdown", and the week after that will be the premiere of Season 9 of MLP:FiM, so things are going to start getting busy here.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First off, here's this week's Equestria Girls short, featuring Pinkie Pie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9QAjUaiY2g

Pinkie's job at the diner is going great, offering excellent service to everyone and encouraging them to post their ratings on "Screech", where they all leave 5-star ratings for the restaurant - all except for an older lady who posts a 4-star rating. Pinkie's coworkers try to assure her that it's still a good review, but Pinkie (having enjoyed a perfect streak of perfect ratings) takes it very personally and goes all out to do everything she can to please the old lady. However, every single effort she makes just further aggravates the old lady, and it is only when Pinkie finally gives up walks away that the old lady is pleased enough to post that 5-star rating.

I guess this one just goes to show that, even after all this time, Pinkie still can't seem to grasp that not everyone is comfortable being with other people, and that pestering them in an effort to please them only makes things even worse. Personally, I think I would've liked it better if the old lady had kept posting progressively worse reviews the longer Pinkie kept pestering her in an effort to get her point across.

And of course, today was the premiere of the 44-minute Equestria Girls special, Spring Breakdown:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/03/equestria-girls-44-minute-special.html

Twilight has arranged for most of her fellow students a spring break party on a cruise ship, and everyone is excited. However, because of all their past experiences with Equestrian magic, Rainbow Dash is especially excited for what kind of magical threat they'll be facing this time, despite everyone else wishing to just enjoy a normal good time hanging out for once. Rainbow becomes so determined to find the next magical threat that she ends up ruining things for her friends (Pinkie gets banned from the buffet before she could sample a certain dessert she was eagerly anticipating, all the petting zoo animals become too scared to come out despite Fluttershy's efforts, and Applejack's seasickness isn't made any better, though at least Rarity manages to avoid such problems as she meets and falls in love with some Irish boy). Twilight and Sunset inform her of the trouble her efforts have caused, but at least they all remain positive enough to go on with a performance of their band later that night. However, just as they "pony-up" on stage, the power on the entire ship suddenly goes out, and the incoming stormy weather isn't making things any better.

While the rest of her friends try their best to restore order and salvage their vacation, Rainbow Dash remains convinced that some magical threat is behind everything, and becomes all but certain of it when a lighting strike causes a glowing symbol to appear in the water (which we would recognize as that of the Storm King). But by the time Rainbow drags her friends together, the symbol is gone, and they all refuse to hear her out any further. Later, Twilight begins to feel bad about how especially hurtful her words to Rainbow Dash had been, so she and Sunset decide to go apologize to her, only to discover one of the lifeboats is missing. After talking about the situation with the others, Twilight and Sunset set out in another lifeboat to find Rainbow Dash, while the rest stay behind to help resolve the other issues on the ship. Twilight and Sunset soon reach a small tropical island and find Rainbow stuck in a pit of quicksand. Their efforts to pull her out become much more difficult when a plant monster suddenly appears, but Sunset discovers something peculiar about the quicksand, so in an effort to escape, she shoves Rainbow down and pulls Twilight in with her. The quicksand pit turns out to be another portal to Equestria, so the three girls are now in that world... as ponies.

After Twilight and Rainbow get over the initial shock, Sunset helps them sneak through Ponyville and into Princess Twilight's castle. Pony Twilight is excited to learn the existence of another portal to Equestria, and since the three girls believe there's no serious trouble in their world, they agree to stay and talk about various things for a while. Unfortunately in the other world, the storm has gotten much worse, sending the ship towards the small island, then striking a rock and begins to sink, and then all of the lifeboats are destroyed at the same time by (as Pinkie Pie remarks) an oddly specific lightning strike. Back in Equestria, as pony Twilight begins talking about the Storm King, Rainbow Dash suddenly recognizes his symbol. Pony Twilight realizes that some of the Storm King's magic must've leaked into the other world, and the only way to remove it is to use the Staff of Sacanas (which happens to be in her possession). The three girls quickly bring the staff with them back to their world, and just as the Storm King's symbol appears in the sky for all to see, they successfully use the staff to seal away the final remnant of the Storm King's magic. With the magical storm now cleared, the three girls return to the sinking ship and help their friends evacuate everyone on board. Although everyone is safe but seemingly stranded on an island, Sunset reveals the way back home, and takes them all with her through the quicksand portal to Equestria and to the other portal in Twilight's castle.

I liked how after all of the previous magical incidents the girls have been through, Rainbow Dash was practically anticipating they were going to face another one (and even seemed thrilled about it), while the rest of her friends just wanted to have a good time without any magical trouble for once. Rainbow even goes so far as to say that they're superheroes, though the others prefer the see themselves as just normal girls trying to live normal lives. I liked how this remark is used again when the three girls are in Equestria listening to Princess Twilight's adventures with her friends, and human Twilight realizes just how similar the two groups of friends actually are. In the end, not only do the girls ultimately embrace their role as superheroes, Rainbow also learns to not go out looking for problems to solve if there aren't any (much like what Starlight Glimmer taught Sunset Shimmer back in the Mirror Magic special). Overall, I felt that it went a little too slow in the beginning and a little too fast in the ending (that final scene felt especially abrupt), but it was a good special that I enjoyed watching.

- Berix

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on March 19, 2019, 01:43:34 AM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on March 19, 2019, 01:43:34 AM
Isn't it crazy?

While obviously I'd prefer it keep going on forever, there is something elegant about the fact that the show started in 2010, the beginning of the decade, and is now ending in 2019. Humanity defines its pop culture by decades, and few shows have made such a huge impact on a single era of pop culture as the My Little Pony craze did on the 2010s. Nothing lasts forever, so it's kinda cool to think MLP and the 2010s will always be inextricably linked.
That's true. Though it's the bittersweet end of an era. I'm going to be sorry to see it go.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
You should all check this out. It's "Equestria Daily's" coverage of some images and animatics of the final season.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First off, this week's Equestria Girls short, featuring Rarity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNGK9gNzgnc

When Rainbow Dash turns down Rarity's request to hang out due to "other plans", Rarity decides to investigate. By use of a taxi, she follows Rainbow and Twilight (both riding Rainbow's motorcycle), who meet up with Sunset and Fluttershy, all who appear to be having a good time just hanging out. Rarity interprets this as her friends not wanting to do things with her anymore, so she sadly returns home, only to suddenly discover her friends throwing her a surprise birthday party, which quickly cheers her back up.

What can I say? This one is just like the pony show's Season 1 episode Party of One, except with Rarity instead of Pinkie Pie. In both cases, I can't help but get the impression that trying to plan a surprise birthday party for a close friend could end up being more trouble than it's worth (even worse if they're even aware that it's their birthday), regardless of the final success. Also, missed opportunity here to see the exterior of Rarity's house (all we saw was the front door).

And since this is the last of the early-released shorts, we're now back to not knowing what's next (though I'm guessing the six parts of Spring Breakdown will probably be the next group of "shorts" to be released).

Well, now it's time to begin the final season of My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic. (Since I prefer to not link to unofficial videos, the links I'll be posting will be for the discussion page on Equestria Daily, which should provide reliable links to watch the episodes of interest.)
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/04/my-little-pony-season-9-episode-1-2.html

In Part 1, Twilight and her friends receive letters asking them to meet with Princesses Celestia and Luna, who tell them that things in Equestria have been running so smoothly in recent years that the two of them have decided to retire, and pass rulership of Equestria over to Twilight with the assistance of her friends. Twilight is understandably very nervous, especially since the planned transfer of power is due to occur in just a few days, and despite Celestia assuring her that everything she and her friends had been through over the years had been preparing her for this all along.

Meanwhile, Queen Chrysalis, Lord Tirek, Cozy Glow, and King Sombra (apparently revived just for this purpose) are all suddenly summoned together by Grogar, a very ancient evil creature who was supposedly the very first emperor of the lands that would later become Equestria. Grogar had been slowly regaining his strength and believes the only way to regain power is to gather all the evil masters together and work as a group to defeat Twilight and her friends. The others are skeptical, particularly Sombra, who claims he could take over the Crystal Empire by himself. Grogar gives him a deal; successfully take the Crystal Empire himself and he can keep it, but failure will force him to submit to Grogar.

Sombra wastes no time invading the Crystal Empire, taking control over the minds of the crystal ponies, and capturing Princess Cadance, Shining Armor, and Flurry Heart. Thanks to Cadance sending a message quickly enough, Twilight is alerted, who immediately gathers her friends together. Believing this would be a perfect chance to prove they're worthy of ruling Equestria, and because Twilight is especially worried for her relatives there, they decide to take no chances and bring the Elements of Harmony with them. When they face off against Sombra, the Elements allow them to resist his fear powers long enough for Spike to free Cadance, who then recovers the Crystal Heart, weakening Sombra enough for the Elements to seemingly finish him off. The Main 6 later return the Elements to the Tree of Harmony, and as they talk about how easy that had been, Sombra suddenly reappears and shatters both the Tree and the Elements.

In Part 2, Sombra reveals that he used his apparent defeat to track down the source of their friendship power, and after trapping them in a crystal cage, he leaves to conquer Ponyville. The Main 6 are able to dig their way out of the cage, but by the time they reach Ponyville, Sombra has already taken control of the minds of everyone in town and is gathering them into an army to conquer Canterlot and thus all of Equestria. The Main 6 are powerless to save anyone, and worse due to the loss of the Tree of Harmony, the Everfree Forest has begun to grow out of control into Ponyville.

Sombra marches into Canterlot almost effortlessly, and with Celestia and Luna mysteriously already gone, he easily takes control of the city. Meanwhile, Twilight decides to focus on stopping the Everfree Forest first, but she and her friends end up fighting to a stalemate. Eventually, Celestia and Luna arrive, summoned by Starswirl the Bearded, who had sensed the Tree of Harmony's destruction. Because Starswirl and his fellow Pillars used to keep the Everfree Forest in check before they had planted that Tree, he, Celestia, and Luna stay to deal with it so that the Main 6 can go to Canterlot to deal with Sombra. When they get there, they are joined by Discord, who agrees to help only after they all beg for his assistance. Discord easily holds off Sombra's attacks, but upon discovering Discord's particular fondness for Fluttershy, Sombra focuses an attack directly at her, and Discord takes the hit.

With Discord seemingly weakened to powerlessness, Sombra claims there's now nothing the Main 6 can do to stop him. But Discord reminds the girls that even without the Elements of Harmony, they are still who they are and they still have their friendship, which is what brought them to hold the Elements in the first place. The six girls stand together and proving that friendship really is magic, they awaken the power within themselves that destroys Sombra and returns all of Equestria back to normal. Later, when Twilight confesses that she's not ready to rule Equestria due to not seeking outside help in the first place, Celestia and Luna point out that great leaders acknowledge when they make mistakes and try to correct them, and the two sisters admit they too made the mistake of trying to force Twilight onto their throne so quickly. Although they still plan to retire, they have now agreed to wait a little longer until Twilight is absolutely ready. Meanwhile, with Sombra's defeat, Grogar declares it as an example to the other villains for why they must work together if they wish to succeed.

Definitely a lot to take in for this one. It's interesting to think that Celestia arranging for Twilight to eventually take her place as ruler of Equestria (which I've heard was Lauren Faust's original plan for the show's finale back before it all started) could've been planned for a long time since the very beginning, based on her claim that all the adventures Twilight and her friends had been on could be considered training them to one day take on such a role. The fact that Celestia and Luna were rather excited about helping Starswirl fight back the Everfree Forest as it reminded them of old times when they didn't have to worry about ruling Equestria could be seen as an example of why they even have the desire to retire. And with the introduction of Grogar (another reimagined G1 villain like Tirek), we now have essentially the ultimate evil scheme; combining the forces of all the past villains together (which with another interesting point happens to be exactly the kind of thing the Main 6 have done every time but never done by any of the villains, so this could be seen as now using their greatest weapon against them). Sure, there's still the issue of the destroyed Tree of Harmony, but according to the synopsis I've read, it looks like that'll be addressed in next week's new episode. All in all, an interesting set-up for the final season, which now leaves me especially looking forward to what the finale will be like.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As I had expected, this week's Equestria Girls release on YouTube is Part 1 of the Spring Breakdown special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFuDAor3mLc

Though I've already posted a review on the whole special, I'll say a few thoughts on each part (and keep them in spoiler tags, just in case if some of you have not yet seen it.
Like I said, the first half of the whole special went too slow and the second half went too fast. As a result, this first part is arguably my least favorite, mostly because Rainbow Dash spends the majority of it being a terrible nuisance to many of her friends, all because she's expecting a magical threat like every other big occasion, which the rest of the girls would rather not have to deal with for once. Also, a rather poor cliffhanger, as that's obviously just Trixie on the stage.

And of course, we have today's new episode as well.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/04/my-little-pony-season-9-episode-3.html

All six of the Young 6 students have a shared dream where they see the spirit of the Tree of Harmony asking them to come to it immediately. They all return to the School of Friendship well before the start of the new school year, and when they tell Twilight why they're there, she sadly explains to them about the Tree's destruction. She takes them to the site of the Tree, which is now just a pile of crystal fragments. They agree that why the Tree had called them to its remains is so they could honor its memory in some way. But before they can do anything, all but Sandbar have to return home and get permission slips signed so they can be allowed to stay.

However, once they all get back together, they each have different ideas on what exactly they should do. Sandbar (having already gotten started due to not having to leave) has cleared away all the remnants of the Tree and planted a new sapling in its place, Gallus wants to turn the cave into a museum about the Tree and its Elements, Smolder wants to build a stone monument of the Tree to stand where it was, Silverstream wants to paint art of the Tree and Elements on the walls and floor of the cave, and Ocellus wants to wants to turn the cave into a meditative place, while Yona is the only one with no particular idea and just wants her friends to work together. Inevitably, everyone's different efforts conflict to the point where everything just ends up as a big mess.

Fed up with all of her friends arguing, Yona finally speaks up and reminds them all about the importance of their friendship. The six students reconcile, and with Yona discovering the fragments of the Tree of Harmony in a wagon hidden to the side, they all agree to reassemble the fragments into a makeshift clubhouse. Though they acknowledge its shoddy construction, they accept it because they built it together as friends. As soon as all six of them set foot inside, the structure suddenly starts to glow with magic, and just as they all escape, the structure changes shape and grows into a much larger building, up on the ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters above that cave. Twilight, having felt the burst of magic, rushes over to find out what happened, but the Young 6 are just as confused. Twilight realizes that the Tree of Harmony has somehow partially survived and, thanks to the efforts of the Young 6, has now grown into a new form, and she allows them to make use of the new crystal clubhouse.

I always love seeing episodes featuring the Young 6, and with this one essentially being a follow-up of the season premiere, it was great to see the question of the Tree of Harmony's fate get answered in a rather interesting way. The Elements might be gone, but the Tree will now live on in a new form with a new group of friends to care for it. Also, the six students actually sang a song together while they were building the clubhouse, which I believe was their first song either as a group or for any of them (I don't count the song from the Season 8 premiere, as they sounded more like a chorus that was difficult to pick out individual voices). Overall, even though it's still very early in the season, I can easily see this episode as being one of my favorites.

- Berix

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I just realized that I have ten dollars on collect on. I bet a friend of mine WAY Back when the series first began that Twilight would be taking over Equestria by the end of the series. He is going to be so surprised when I call him up about that bet.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This week, we have Part 2 of Spring Breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9GvqzCuv94

Rainbow Dash's selfish desire to fight evil magic continues to make her look bad. Also in this part, Rarity falls in love with crewman Ragamuffin, a guy with a very thick Cockney accent (can't even properly pronounce Rarity's name) and has a striking resemblance to Applejack. None of these things really interested me much, so it's definitely another part of the slow first half. At least this part had a good song played by the Rainbooms.

And for this week's new episode, it also happens to be the 200th episode of the entire series. What makes this one unique is that (according to what I've heard) the voice actresses of the seven main characters (Main 6 and Spike) shared ideas of what they had always wanted to see in the show, and the writers combined as many of those ideas they could into a reasonable story. Anyway, here's the usual links:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/04/my-little-pony-season-9-episode-4.html

Twilight receives a letter from Shining Armor reminding her about the friendly competitions they used to do when they were young with the prize being a certain paper crown, and now they were going to have one last challenge to earn the final bragging rights. As a result of Princess Celestia asking Shining Armor to improve security at Canterlot Castle, he has decided to test it all by asking Twilight and her friends to try to infiltrate the place with the goal of grabbing that old paper crown in the throne room. Twilight comes up with an elaborate plan utilizing everyone's strengths: Pinkie distracts the guards, Rarity sneaks in with a disguise, Applejack smashes through a sealed back entrance, Rainbow Dash overwhelms the air resistance, and Fluttershy calms the geese that serve as a final alarm.

However, everyone believes Shining Armor knows Twilight so well that he'll totally expect that kind of plan, so her friends instead come up with their own ideas for a completely unexpected plan: Rarity and Rainbow Dash will ask around for secret information, Applejack will distract the guards with a comeback performance as country singer "Apple Core", Pinkie Pie will make observations from space, Spike and Fluttershy will infiltrate the throne room like secret spies, and Twilight will do absolutely nothing. However, many things go wrong for all of them, and they fail to reach the paper crown.

Fortunately, they were not caught, so for a second attempt, they all agree to finally utilize Twilight's strengths and just go with her original "expectable" plan, and it quickly proves much more successful, but as feared, Shining Armor totally saw it coming. But just when it seems Shining has won, Spike reveals that he has taken possession of the paper crown, thanks to his secret idea from the very beginning to cooperate with Princess Luna, who was very obviously disgruntled by Celestia refusing to consult her on improving security. As a result, Spike, the little brother who was never part of the sibling competition, wins that paper crown for the first time ever.

This was a rather fun episode, I'll give it that. I'm sure there's a lot of things that fans loved finally seeing in the show, such as Spike receiving some long overdue family appreciation. Not to mention, Zephyr Breeze is so obviously not fit for guard duty that his presence among the guards should've been a major clue that an inside job was going on. Speaking of which, I have to say it was very ingenious of Spike to secretly work with Luna to outwit everyone else on both sides. Overall, with lots of funny moments and without too much cringe, I'd consider this a very good episode.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's Part 3 of Spring Breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sru9dtw9q08

So Rainbow Dash finally sees evidence of Equestrian magic in the form of the Storm King's symbol appearing in the water, and her first reaction is to immediately drag all of her friends over to see it. Not only is it predictably gone by the time she tries to show them, but she also grabbed half of them (Twilight, Pinkie, and Rarity) with especially bad timing for them. That, combined with her earlier behavior, and it's no wonder none of her friends are willing to believe her. With tensions between them rising so much, I wasn't surprised that Rainbow decided to go off on her own. At least Twilight later felt bad about what she said and tried to apologize, even though Rainbow had already run off by that point. Overall, better than the previous two parts, but definitely not as good as the remaining upcoming parts.

And here's this week's new episode:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/04/my-little-pony-season-9-episode-5-point.html

Princess Celestia has decided to clean out Twilight's old room in Canterlot, and sends her a box full of some of her old things. As Twilight and Spike go though the contents of that box, Twilight is horrified to find a book she had borrowed from the library, and since it's been a long time since she last borrowed any books from Canterlot, she knows it's way past overdue. (Apparently, it was one of the last books she ever checked out before she was sent to Ponyville. In fact, way back in the very first episode, Twilight was so desperate to find out more about the Elements of Harmony that she had carelessly tossed this library book under the sofa and thus completely forgot about it.) Despite putting her perfect record in jeopardy, she knows she has to return it immediately, so she and Spike head over to Canterlot. As they try to do so, they discover that Dusty Pages, the old librarian who Twilight used to be good friends with, no longer works there as a result of her own perfect record being tarnished by a single book not being returned on time, which Twilight naturally assumes is the very one she now has.

Twilight decides to set aside her efforts to return the book and instead focuses on finding Dusty Pages to apologize for presumably ruining her life. She and Spike start at her house, but discover she's moved out and the current owner only knows that she went to "Silver-something". After searching across much of Equestria, they find out she now lives in a retirement home, and after some more running around, they finally meet up with her. Although she's very happy to see Twilight again, when Twilight suggests making things right from the effects of that overdue library book, Dusty Pages states that she refuses to ever go back to that library.

Twilight is upset at first, but at Spike's suggestion, they decide to talk to Dusty Pages. Once they catch up to her and ask why she doesn't want to go back, she reveals that the end of her perfect record actually felt liberating and made her realize that she wanted more out of life than just spending every day at a library. In a rather ironic twist, it is only now that Twilight finds out that the overdue library book is about how perfectionism is an unrealistic way of life. Assured that Dusty Pages is better off now, Twilight and Spike return to Canterlot to finally return that book. Even there, things don't turn out so bad, as the late fees maxed out after only a month, and the library got a replacement copy long ago. At Spike's suggestion, the current librarian even allows Twilight to keep that old book, if only to serve as a reminder to not be so obsessed with perfection.

I've been doing weekly volunteer work at my local library for years, so I'm actually a little familiar with how things work in a library. I knew Twilight was overreacting about the overdue book, and she did the right thing to get the issue sorted out, even though that library got a replacement copy some time ago. It was interesting to see how that library book was lost as a result of the events from the very beginning of the whole series, not to mention Moondancer making an appearance as well. What really did surprise me was how Dusty Pages completely reevaluated her whole life as a result of that overdue book, and since she appears to be much happier because of it, I'm not going to make any arguments about it. I honestly can't believe it took until near the end of the episode for Twilight to even know what that overdue book was even about, so that sure must've been embarrassing for her. With all of that in mind, I consider this to be a rather good episode.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Part 4 of Spring Breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYilwmF8JSA

In this part, Sunset and Twilight get on a lifeboat to find Rainbow Dash, while the others stay behind. For Rainbow, it's really quite a shame that it's not until she ends up stuck in a quicksand pit that she finally apologizes for her behavior. That plant monster was clearly meant to be a sign of Equestrian magic in the area, though I do find it odd how it's not seen or mentioned again in the later parts. And of course, there's the discovery that the quicksand pit is actually a second portal to Equestria, setting things up for the really interesting stuff in the next part. So yes, this part is where this special really starts to get interesting.

And in this week's new episode, the return of a character voiced by a famous celebrity.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/05/my-little-pony-season-9-episode-6.html

Buckball has now become so huge that Appleloosa has built a major stadium and a hall of fame, with the first featured athletes being the Ponyville team: Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Snails. Joining them in Appleloosa are Rainbow Dash and Snips, and while Snips takes advantage of Snails' new fame to make a fortune, Rainbow reluctantly fulfills a promise to Applejack, who couldn't be there, to see every exhibit in the new buckball museum. It's outside that museum where Rainbow meets her old friend Quibble Pants, where he tries to express himself as an expert on the sport, but it's obvious he knows nothing about athletics. It's not long before Quibble introduces Rainbow to his new family: his girlfriend Clear Sky, and her daughter from a previous marriage Wind Sprint. Wind Sprint is into sports because her father was a major athlete, and she has no interest in any of the nerdy stuff Quibble is more into. Quibble and Sky both love each other very much, but Quibble knows he can't make it work if Wind Sprint doesn't want anything to do with him, so that's where he turns to Rainbow Dash for help.

For Quibble's first attempt, he buys a large almanac about buckball rules and statistics from the gift shop as a gift for Wind Sprint, but she doesn't like it because it's a book. Next, Rainbow tries to train him in all the basic forms of athletics in hopes that he'll gain more respect from Wind Sprint, but he's completely pathetic in every aspect with no hope of short-term improvement. Finally, Rainbow arranges a half-time event where Quibble and Wind Sprint compete on the field against the Ponyville team, but even with Pinkie and Fluttershy going easy on them, Quibble's terrible athleticism just makes it a bad experience for Wind Sprint.

Clear Sky believes Quibble has been simply trying too hard to gain Wind Sprint's approval, so for a final attempt, Rainbow decides to just have them all watch the buckball game together and let things happen. Gradual bits of small talk between Quibble and Wind Sprint slowly bring them together, such as Wind Sprint informing Quibble of some basics of the game, and Quibble sharing some insightful statistics from that almanac he bought earlier. As a result, Quibble and his new family are well on their way to getting along just fine.

What makes this episode particularly special is that Quibble and his family are voiced by that celebrity and his actual family, with his daughter making her acting debut, so that makes another special type of episode for the final season. This show has occasionally made realistic portrayals of less than ideal family arrangements (such as the absence of Applejack's parents), but this one is explicitly about families where one parent is gone and the other parent starts a new relationship with someone else and the child struggles to be okay with it. In fact, much like how we were never told what happened to Applejack's parents, this episode doesn't even give any hint on what happened to Wind Sprint's father (death or divorce are to two main reasons such a thing ever happens, and neither of them is ever implied over the other in this case, so that detail is left entirely to fan speculation). In addition, it seems buckball has now become outrageously popular throughout Equestria, and the Ponyville team that we saw formed in an earlier episode are now the big stars of the sport. Overall, a very nice episode, and especially relevant to the types of real families in similar arrangements.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Part 5 of Spring Breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT5z3BOXoDM

I think we can all agree that this was the part of the special we were most looking forward to: the part where Sunset, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash end up in Equestria (in the case of Twilight and Rainbow, this is perhaps the very first time anyone native to the human world has ever crossed a portal into Equestria). I liked some of the subtle details of the girls struggling to get used to their pony bodies, such as Rainbow letting her wings hang down rather than resting them against her sides like most pegasi, and Twilight being not very well coordinated in using magic (though at least she has some familiarity thanks to her magical geode powers, it's just needing to used a different limb in this case). And of course, it was amusing to see the three girls sneaking their way through Ponyville to reach Princess Twilight's castle, because Sunset knows the counterparts of her friends live there and wants to avoid any awkward confusion (and narrowly avoids such an incident with pony Rainbow Dash).

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/05/my-little-pony-season-9-episode-7-shes.html

Twilight has arranged to have the School of Friendship host an annual dance that Ponyville has held for years, only this year it has been renamed to appeal to other creatures besides ponies. The Young 6 are among the many students interested in attending, with Sandbar particularly interested in asking Yona to go with him. Yona agrees, but soon worries about not being "pony enough" for such a seemingly formal event, so she turns to Rarity for advice. Rarity is more than willing to use every effort to turn Yona into a sophisticated pony, with some assistance from Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack. It takes a lot of hard work, but they are eventually successful, just in time for the dance.

At the dance, when Yona arrives, her friends are completely confused by her new highly sophisticated appearance and behavior, especially Sandbar, but Yona insists she had to do it for the pony who asked her to this dance. Despite his apprehension, Sandbar tries to make the best of it, but as the night progresses, Yona's clumsiness gradually gets more and more out of control until eventually the entire dance hall is completely wrecked, prompting Yona to run away tearfully.

Sandbar finds Yona weeping at the Treehouse of Harmony, and explains to her that he asked her out because he liked her just the way she always was, and didn't want her to change just for him. With encouragement from Sandbar, Yona returns to the dance and apologizes for destroying everything, but then Rarity and her friends apologize for their attempts to turn Yona into something she wasn't. Yona is welcomed back by everyone, and as a gesture of including more than just pony traditions, they all ask her to teach them the traditional Yak dance.

Normally, I'd enjoy any episodes featuring any of the Young 6, but this one I didn't really like all that much. All that effort into putting so many changes to Yona in both appearances and behavior was just too much cringe for me (to the point it reminded me of Brotherhooves Social, my absolute least favorite episode of the entire series). Even so, at least it was interesting to see one of the Young 6 (Yona in this case) interacting with much of the Main 6 on her own. We also finally got to see some of the interior of that new Treehouse of Harmony. So even though I often like episodes with the Young 6, I did not care much for the subject of this one (with a rather predicable outcome, at that), so I'm going to call it a mediocre episode.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's Part 6, the final part of Spring Breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr28fYGOQdE

So this part is where Sunset, Twilight, and Rainbow return from Equestria to capture the Storm King's magic, and then the girls rescue everyone from the sinking ship. As I said in my review of the entire special, the beginning was too slow and the ending was too fast, and this final part definitely displayed the latter with how quickly everything was resolved, especially the question of how everyone got home from that island. Seeing everyone on that ship having to pass through Equestria (as ponies) to get home would've been very amusing to see, but instead all we see of that is a sudden-end gag.

Next week will be back to regular Equestria Girls shorts (though much like last season, they've been releasing early on the Discovery Family app recently).

Anyway, here's this week's new episode (arguably one of my favorites for this season):
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/05/us-my-little-pony-season-9-episode-8.html

Grogar's alliance of evil has not been getting along well as Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow keep frequently getting on each other's nerves. While Grogar leaves for a short time, Cozy tries to rally the other two to work together for their common goal of destroying the Main 6, but not even a villain song is enough to get them over their differences. Grogar returns and in a desperate attempt to force them to work together, he assigns the three with the task of recovering his stolen magical bell from a magically sealed cave at the top of Mount Everhoof.

Predictably, they start off going separately: Chrysalis makes it a good distance up the mountain by transforming into various creatures suitable for each part, but the final push to the peak is just too harsh for her alone. Cozy Glow comes across a hut inhabited by the guardian pony Rusty Bucket and tries to manipulate him into helping her reach the summit, but not only is his job to not let anyone climb the mountain, he also doesn't fall for her manipulation thanks to reading his copy of Twilight's friendship journal. And Tirek simply waits at the base of the mountain until the other two inevitably fail so he can later make his own attempt without repeating their mistakes.

After failing their first attempts and regrouping, they manage to bond over their shared desire to make Twilight and her friends suffer, so they agree to actually try working together. Through remarkable teamwork, they successfully reach the summit, but the final obstacle is a magical barrier blocking the entrance to the cave holding Gorgar's bell. In a remarkable case of cunning and trust, Chrysalis allows Tirek to take her magic, giving him just enough strength to punch open a hold just big enough for Cozy to fly through and take the bell, then after Cozy returns with the bell, Tirek keeps his promise and returns Chrysalis's magic back to her. The three are very impressed by what their teamwork was able to accomplish, and are even right on the verge of behaving like the main ponies learning a friendship lesson, but quickly realize just how much they were sounding just like the ponies they despise so much. Instead, they recognize that Grogar is by far the most powerful threat, so they come up with a secret plan to work together only until Grogar is out of the way, and they start off by hiding the bell away and lying to him that they failed to recover it.

I found this to be a very interesting episode, as it focused exclusively on the villains. Based on all kinds of media I've seen/heard/read, I've come to the belief that it's much more difficult to hold together a team of villains than a team of heroes, and this episode did a very good job of demonstrating that. Even more exciting to see was how they are now planning to eventually betray Grogar, which they hope to achieve by deceiving him and keeping his bell for themselves. (In all honesty, this is the kind of epic sequence of events I normally expect to see with Bionicle, so that left me very impressed.) Ultimately, I think this episode will have a huge impact on the season/series finale, and I really like how it's shaping up so far. And of course, we got a villain song, complete with quite a few fourth-wall breaks for added humor.

Just a heads up, the rest of the episodes for the first half of this season (that's the next five episodes) are being released early in Italy over the next few days, so be careful to avoid spoilers (I'm not going to watch them, since I don't speak Italian). I swear, if these foreign early releases occur again for the second half of this season, I'll be very disappointed and upset, because that won't be just a season finale, but the series finale as well, and it would be quite a shame if anyone outside the US got to see it first.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 11:30:29 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Back to Equestria Girls shorts, and this week's YouTube release happens to be a music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2TamlJy95s

This music video is pretty much about the girls hanging out on the cruise ship from Spring Breakdown. Since we know that ship ended up sinking at the end of the special, it's safe to assume this short took place immediately before the events of Spring Breakdown. Also, if you saw the trailer for these shorts earlier this year, you may have wondered why certain scenes on the boat didn't appear in the special, but now it's obvious those extra scenes are actually from this music video.

And of course, here's this week's new episode:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/05/us-my-little-pony-season-9-episode-9.html

Smolder asks permission to miss school for a week so she can return home to help support her brother. Spike offers to go with her to help provide that support, and Fluttershy insists on joining them when she hears it also happens to be hatching season for the dragons, conveniently providing the authority for Twilight to grant that permission. Once the trio arrive in the Dragon Lands, Fluttershy flies off to find the nesting area, and while Smolder goes to find her brother (who she claims is quite a softie compared to other dragons), Spike waits around with ideas on how to help, only to get frustrated when Garble and his friends show up to mess with him. Smolder eventually returns and it turns out her brother is actually Garble, who apparently has insecurities that he doesn't want his friends to know about. With Spike calling out Garble's attitude towards him, Smolder warns her brother to not mess with Spike while she's around.

Fluttershy finds the nesting area and absolutely adores the sight of all those eggs. Dragon Lord Ember is also there, and although none of those eggs are hers, she admits it's her first time overseeing hatching season and doesn't really know much about how to handle it. This is especially problematic because those eggs are overdue for hatching and Ember isn't sure what's wrong with them. Fluttershy offers to help, but none of her efforts work, only discovering that the eggs occasionally shake a little for reasons Ember can't figure out. Meanwhile, Smolder and Spike hang out with Garble and his friends, but despite Smolder's warning, Garble continues to bully Spike behind her back. Fluttershy meets up with them and when she sees what's going on, she immediately scolds Garble and his friends for their rude behavior. Impressed by how Fluttershy was able to talk them down, Spike offers to trade places with her.

Fluttershy catches up to Smolder and Garble and discovers that Garble is secretly a poet who plays bongo drums, then points out in front of Smolder that Garble is so embarrassed about risking looking bad in front of his friends that he's been tormenting Spike to compensate. Meanwhile, Spike meets up with Ember and quickly realizes the ground is actually too cold for the eggs, with the shaking actually being shivering. There's supposed to be a pool of lava directly beneath the nesting area to warm the ground, but they soon discover that Garble's friends have been draining the lava pool for their own selfish activities, completely unaware of the consequences. With the eggs too fragile to move and the lava pool refilling too slowly, Ember's only solution is to gather all the dragons together and use their fire breaths directly onto the eggs. The flames aren't hot enough, but when Garble suddenly remembers that prolonged laughter from dragons produces increasingly hotter fire breath, he publicly expresses his poet side, driving the other dragons to so much laughter that the eggs finally hatch. Despite the humiliation, Garble ends up commended for his efforts by Ember, which in turn encourages his friends to gain interest in his secret hobby.

I found it neat to see more of the dragon lands, especially now that we've known Smolder for a while and thus have a newfound perspective on dragon culture. Ever since Smolder revealed she has a brother (back in the middle of the previous season), the popular fan belief was that her brother was actually Garble, who we've previously met a couple times as someone who likes to bully Spike a lot, so it was certainly nice to see that turn out to be completely true. Also especially nice to see was Fluttershy, who used to have a crippling fear of dragons back in the early seasons of the show, is now assertive enough to vocally stand up to those dragon bullies. And of course, we learned that dragon eggs require extremely high heat to be capable of hatching (which does beg the question of how filly Twilight was able to hatch Spike's egg). I also have to give credit to Garble (who bullied others to avoid being bullied himself, much like Babs Seed back in Season 3) for deliberately subjecting himself to public humiliation for the sake of helping the other dragons, proving that he really isn't such a terrible guy after all. Overall, another very good episode for a final season full of them.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:52:04 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This week's Equestria Girls short is another music video, featuring Rainbow Dash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqN9R45JHuQ

I'm not exactly sure what the song is about as I didn't really pay much attention to the lyrics. The visuals were just that much more interesting, as it has the interesting portrayal that because Rainbow Dash moves around so fast, the world from her perspective appears to be in slow motion. As least she's nice enough to put her super speed to good use by preventing some mishaps around her friends.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/06/us-my-little-pony-season-9-episode-10.html

At Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack is excited over the once-in-a-hundred-moons confluence when everything is ready for harvest at the same time. Of course, this means a lot of hard work for the Apple family, enough that Big Mac has become sleep deprived just from drawing up the harvest plan. And with Applejack's friends too busy with school duties, the only outside help they can get is a pony that Granny Smith called in, Goldie Delicious (the one who's always surrounded by cats). With so much to get done in so little time, Goldie mentions a magical spirit known as the Great Seedling, said to provide bountiful harvests every year to anyone who is able to catch it. Naturally, Apple Bloom is excited by this and tries to set traps around the orchard to catch the Great Seedling.

As the harvest gets underway, Applejack is frustrated that Apple Bloom is wasting her time setting traps for a creature she doubts even exists rather than actually helping with the harvest. Applejack even accuses Goldie of setting up false beliefs, especially after they discover "evidence" in the form of apples on the ground in intricate patterns. Eventually, Granny Smith points out that Applejack used to be a big believer in the Great Seedling, and tells the story of how during the previous harvest confluence, the young filly ended up falling into one of her own traps, and after being stuck there all day eventually decided to stop believing in the magical spirit. Applejack and Apple Bloom soon make an agreement with Apple Bloom helping with the harvest and Applejack helping to set traps later that evening.

The next day, with even greater "evidence", Applejack has become much more passionate about trying to catch the Great Seedling, even at the expense of the harvest work, forcing a still sleep-deprived Big Mac to do much of the work on his own. Even so, the Apple sisters start bonding quite well when Applejack suggests simply waiting out in the orchard at night to try catching the Great Seedling themselves. When they encounter a shadowy figure that night, they panic at first, but eventually discover that it was actually Big Mac doing harvesting at night (thus explaining his constant sleep deprivation). Despite the Great Seedling turning out to be (possibly) not real, the Apple family had a good time together and managed to complete the harvest.

I have to admit, I had been expecting this to be a rather lackluster episode, but I was quite pleasantly surprised in a number of ways. I had expected tons of cringe with Apple Bloom focused only on catching the spirit and Applejack stubbornly insisting on work only, so I was quite pleased by the compromise they made in the middle of the episode to actually help each other out. Even more impressive was how Applejack apparently regained her long-suppressed enthusiasm for the Great Seedling, leading to the moral of the episode that you're never too old to enjoy silly childish things. (Sound familiar, fellow fans?) But arguably the most incredible part of this episode was during the flashback sequence where along with blank-flank Applejack we saw her parents and even baby Apple Bloom (it was shown only very briefly, but considering how much fans wanted to see such a scene, it was totally worth it). Overall, this episode could've easily been much worse, but I'm actually very pleased by what we got.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 09:42:07 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Looks like the next few Equestria Girls shorts are going back to that "posted on the internet" style we saw earlier this year. This week's features Applejack and Rarity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aZMa0rTVVU

Rarity and Applejack in this video give advice on which essentials you should bring while camping. While Applejack mentions the bare necessities, Rarity insists on many other items to the point of of being very cumbersome to carry it around. Applejack is frustrated by Rarity's antics, but when Rarity mentions they'll actually be "glamping" in an RV, Applejack decides to be okay with giving it a try.

I think we're all very familiar with this dynamic of the polar opposite packing habits of Applejack and Rarity. What makes this particular one different from other examples we've seen before is that Rarity is well aware that her habits just won't work for "roughin' it" like Applejack would prefer, so she instead decides to use an RV.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/06/us-my-little-pony-season-9-episode-11.html

Starlight has been spending so much time as counselor at the School of Friendship that her friend Trixie arranges a picnic to make up for lost time. However, thanks to a magic bracelet that glows every time there's a knock on the door to her office, Starlight keeps frequently teleporting away to help a student, which frustrates Trixie. Despite appreciating Starlight's willingness to help all those students, Trixie has gotten upset that it's taken away so much time from her friends that Starlight has completely forgotten about a little get-together they had been planning with some of Starlight's other friends. Although Starlight assures Trixie she intends to follow her promise for them to work on the preparations together, her counselor job takes up so much time that she fails to keep up everywhere and completely misses out on spending the day with her friend.

At the end of the day, Trixie confronts Starlight in her office, where she's still seeing students before they have to leave for spring break. Under pressure from Trixie, Starlight decides to finally close her office and tells Silverstream (the student she was in the middle of speaking with) to just leave and figure out her issues on her own. Later, Starlight and Trixie meet up with Sunburst, Maud Pie, and Mudbriar for their get-together at Maud's place, but the party doesn't last long before Terramar, Silverstream's brother, suddenly arrives and informs Starlight that Silverstream never returned home and is now considered missing. Starlight and Terramar search the school, and the only clue they find are the notes Silverstream left in her room about a school project involving cockatrices, leading them to fear she went to look for one in the Everfree Forest.

Just as Starlight and Terramar are about to head out, Trixie and the rest of Starlight's friends arrive and offer to help find Silverstream. After running through the forest, the group stumbles across a whole flock of cockatrices, and are forced to run for their lives (with Mudbriar getting petrified by the cockatrices along the way). They eventually reach the old castle ruins, and when Starlight points out the new Treehouse of Harmony, she realizes they should've checked there sooner, and sure enough they find Silverstream inside, who has remarkably managed to tame a cockatrice (and also simply forgot to inform her family that she was staying longer to finish a school project). After the group leaves the forest (and Silverstream's cockatrice returns Mudbriar to normal), Starlight expresses immense guilt over turning away Silverstream and thus resulting in a terrifying incident, but Silverstream admits that many of her questions were so minor that they probably weren't worth all that time spent and therefore it was probably best she had been finally turned away. Starlight finally agrees to start setting available times rather than the always open policy to allow her to spend some time with her own friends.

This episode certainly had an interesting take on how one should find a reasonable balance between time at work and time with friends, and even ends with the answer still being a little uncertain. I think the most interesting aspect of this episode was the wide range of secondary characters featured throughout much of it; Starlight, Trixie, Sunburst, Maud Pie, Mudbriar, Terramar, and Silverstream. (At most, only the first four got together only once (the episode right before the Season 7 finale), so this was quite an interesting set of character dynamics that I enjoyed seeing.) Also of note, this was the first time we got to see the inside of not only Silverstream's room at the school, but also a more interior part of the Treehouse of Harmony (which appears to be some kind of study room). Overall, this was a rather nice episode to watch.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 10:52:49 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Favorite episode of the season tbh. Mudbriaer and Maud were both hilarious, Trixie and Starlight had some great moments together, and they packed a ton of plot into 22 minutes. I'm sad this may be the last Starlight episode we ever get, but it was a hell of a sendoff.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This week's Equestria Girls short is a more standard style, but the next few will go back to that internet video style. Anyway, here's this week's short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcFwHimKGYs

The seven girls are at a music festival and taking selfies, but when the subject of filters (various graphics meant to add more substance to selfies) come up, each of them share their favorite kinds of filters to use.

As funny as many of those "filters" were (especially the joke about G3 pony being terrible), I just don't really understand why such a thing has so much appeal among those girls. (Then again, I've never taken any selfies and even don't like being photographed at all, so it's not like I would ever have much interest in such a thing anyway.)

And for this week's new episode, all I can say is that it's definitely a big one that deserves to be in the final season:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/06/us-my-little-pony-season-9-episode-12.html

The Cutie Mark Crusaders are at Scootaloo's house, where we finally see a glimpse of Scootaloo's living arrangements: her parents are usually away on their job, so her aunts Holiday and Lofty often visit to look after her most of the time, though at times when they return to their home they leave her in the care of certain others they know they can trust. But this time is different, because Scootaloo's parents are finally coming home, and she's very excited about it. She talks about them in class, where after a brief scare we finally meet her parents (I would best describe them as Australian wildlife field researchers, with her father wrangling the animals and her mother studying the plants). After getting caught up with each other, her parents reveal that they just got new jobs that will allow them to spend more time her, and while it sounds exciting for Scootaloo at first, she and her friends are suddenly devastated once they realize it involves moving to a very far away place, away from her friends.

The CMCs continue to be saddened until Rainbow Dash shows up and, upon hearing what's going on, encourages them to figure out a solution. The CMCs try all kinds of crazy ideas - faking a rare creature to make her parents stay in Ponyville, pointing out their similar cutie marks, a potion to keep them tied together at all times, and even chaining themselves to a post - but none of them are enough to change Scootaloo's parent's minds.

Scootaloo finally decides to visit her aunts in an effort to miss the train and thus force her parents to leave without her. When she and her friends arrive, her aunts point out how much they've helped others as a group, inspiring them with a new idea to keep Scootaloo in Ponyville. When moving day finally arrives, Scootaloo brings her parents into town to show them a "Cutie Mark Crusaders Appreciation Day" celebration, where everyone they've helped out throughout the entire series has gathered together to show just how much of a positive impact those three fillies have had on so many others. Her parents finally understand the true importance of the work she and her friends have done, much like how important their work had been to keep them away from her for so long. In the end, Scootaloo's family comes to a new arrangement where her parents move on to their new faraway job, while Holiday and Lofty move to Ponyville to become her full-time caretakers, but despite all of that they will always love each other very much.

Let's face it, the question of Scootaloo's family has always been a big question among fans for virtually as long as we've known her since the first season, and now it has finally been answered. Also of significance, although it was never stated in the episode, the show's creators have confirmed that Holiday and Lofty are indeed a same-sex couple (as far as I know, the only specifically confirmed same-sex couple on this show). And the relation was stated at one point in this episode that Holiday is the older sister of Scootaloo's father. I have to say, Scootaloo's parents being Australian-style wildlife researchers definitely does seem like quite a dangerous job, and as much as they obviously love to do it, they also wisely understood that they couldn't bring their daughter along with them, regardless of how much they really do love each other. However, spending so little time with their daughter made it hard for them to understand just how close she really was to her friends in Ponyville, despite how much they tried to express how much they love her. Finally, the Cutie Mark Crusaders Appreciation Day celebration really went all-out to reference practically every single CMC episode throughout the entire series, so in terms of CMC episodes, this one definitely felt like an appropriate series finale for them. Overall, this one's easily one of the best episodes of this season so far.

I'm actually impressed by how much I was able to avoid most of the major spoilers of this episode. Just one more left to go before those early releases are finally behind us (and hopefully for the last time, as I'd especially hate to see this happen for the series finale).

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This week's Equestria Girls short goes back to the vlog-type videos, with this one featuring Sunset Shimmer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWgCq6qipPM

Sunset has gotten a backstage pass at the concert, and uses a drone to make a video touring the backstage areas. She is very excited at every destination and with everyone she meets, so much so that when she finally meets the band, she actually asks then to take a picture of her with the backstage crew.

Not much for me to say for this one. It was a little amusing to see Sunset get so giddy over just about every seemingly mundane item and task she witnesses, but that's pretty much all this one had going for it.

And here's this week's new episode, the mid-season finale, and also featuring something many fans have always wanted to see for a very long time:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/06/us-my-little-pony-season-9-episode-13.html

The main six are faced with a giant tortoise eating the apple orchard and do a good job of dealing with it, but just when Twilight is about to finish by teleporting the beast away, Celestia and Luna suddenly arrive and finish the job for her. For the rest of the week, Celestia and Luna continue to eagerly assist the main six in virtually every task, no matter how trivial they are. When Twilight finally gets a chance to question them, they admit that after they had helped contain the Everfree Forest back in the season premiere, they had so much fun that they now want to do much more heroics out in the field of action. The girls would rather not continue with the recent antics, so Pinkie suggests Celestia and Luna should should simply make a list of all the activities they had always wanted to do and then try them all out. The two sisters are uncertain about taking time off from their royal duties, so Twilight decides to cover for them as an excellent chance for her and her friends to practice taking on their royal duties once the sisters eventually retire as planned.

At Canterlot Castle, Twilight and friends are faced with preparing a gala dedicated to the swans that inhabit the ponds of Canterlot. Despite their best efforts, they struggle to handle all of the various tasks involved in the preparations. Fancy Pants checks in on them regularly, and eventually confirms that, contrary to what Twilight initially believed, Celestia and Luna don't actually handle all those royal tasks by themselves. Assured that she won't be breaking any royal protocol, Twilight and her friends agree to start delegating tasks, and the mounting disasters are quickly dealt with.

Meanwhile, Celestia and Luna celebrate the start of their time off through song, but as time passes, their differing preferred ideas of time off start to clash; Celestia wants to go on an exciting adventure, but Luna wants to have a relaxing vacation. They initially agree to take turns between both sets of activities, but eventually get on each other's nerves so much that they decide to part ways for the remainder of their time off. However, they eventually start to miss each other, and when they finally meet up again on a trail up a mountain, they apologize and agree to just enjoy being with each other. Unfortunately, they are soon forced to end their time off when they notice Twilight struggling to move the sun and moon through the sky.

Fans have been begging for an episode focused on Celestia and Luna since almost the very beginning of the show, and this episode finally answers that demand. Personally, I found this episode to be so loaded with crazy antics that I couldn't bring myself to see this as an awesome episode, though I will at least call it rather good. Although the main focus was on Celestia and Luna finally getting a chance to do all the things they've always wanted to do, I was more interested in how Twilight and her friends took this opportunity to practice what they'll be faced with once the two sisters retire, and here they learn the lesson that the rulers of Equestria don't actually do everything by themselves, and that it's completely okay to ask for assistance whenever it's necessary. Also of note, with Celestia and Luna dressing more casually for their time off, this is actually the very first time we've ever seen them without wearing their royal attire. Overall, a moderately good episode, as I believe it gives a hint of what to expect at the end of the season.

And with that, we are now finally past all those early releases. Next week is the hour-long Rainbow Roadtrip special, animated in the same style as the movie. Also recently announced is the next Equestria Girls special, Sunset's Backstage Pass, will be on July 27, so that's just over a month from now (though apparently Mexico will be airing it next week). (At this point, as much as I really wish for no more early releases, the fact that production on both FiM and EqG just recently finished gives me the sad feeling that early releases of the second half of the final season will be inevitable, and thus it's only a question of which country will do it this time.)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:15:02 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This week's Equestria Girls short is yet another vlog-type video, with appearances from all seven of the main girls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtruHVhP1t4

Rarity decides to create a video displaying various type of fashion for the upcoming music festival, with each of her friends showing off their fashion choices. She has mixed reactions to all of them, but contently concludes that the only truly right fashion is to simply be yourself.

I won't bother going into any detail for the fashion choices each of the seven girls went with, but it's fair to say they all make sense for who they are (perfect for Rarity's closing message of "be yourself"). It was also amusing to see Rarity's various reactions to each of her friends and what they showed off.

No new episode this week, but we did have the one-hour special Rainbow Roadtrip:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/06/my-little-pony-rainbow-roadtrip-stream.html

The Main 6 gather together and travel by balloon (with Spike staying behind to watch over the school) to the town of Hope Hollow to attend the Rainbow Festival, to which Rainbow Dash was personally invited and encouraged to bring her friends along. However, once they arrive, just about all of their expectations turn out to be vastly underwhelming. Once they meet with the mayor, he admits that he exaggerated his invitation to encourage the Main 6 to come to town in desperate hopes that they can solve the problem of the lack of color anywhere. He explains through song about how the town used to be so lively and colorful, but the residents eventually grew more distant with each other, and a failed attempt to modify a magical device used for the festival only made the problem much worse. Once they hear the full story, the Main 6 agree to help out around town to do anything they can to save it.

Applejack helps the town mechanic to repair their damaged balloon and the rainbow billboard they had accidentally destroyed. Rainbow Dash encounters two young pegasi who are huge fans of her and offers to help improve their flying talents. Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy help the owners of a bakery find a better food supply, improving relations with their nextdoor neighbor in the process. Rarity helps the town boutique owner to find her own style rather than just simply adding onto the ideas of others. And Twilight does research in the library in an effort to figure out what kind of magic could've removed all the color. As the Main 6 continue to help out, each small act of friendship begins to gradually restore color to small bits all over town.

The mayor still blames himself for unintentionally ruining the town, so Twilight (with some help from some of the town's residents), tries to repair the magical device in hopes that she can use a spell to reverse whatever caused it to malfunction. The repaired device fails to do anything, but when Applejack points out the small bits of color that were already showing up, all the ponies realize that what really happened is that the residents had been losing hope before that device made it worse, and the solution is to simply bring the whole community back together again. Ponies who used to rudely ignore each other are now encouraged to play their parts and get along, and it's not long before the whole town is completely restored to the vibrantly colorful place it once was. After a celebratory song, the Main 6 return home.

I have to say, this was quite a nice addition to the series. What made this particularly special was that the problem was not caused by some evil creature, but rather by a whole community simply falling apart. In this day and age, the lesson that local communities should learn to simply get along with each other is very powerful, considering how the general sense of community has been steadily declining over the last few decades. Also, like I said before, this special uses the same animation style as the movie did, so it was nice to see some brief glimpses of Ponyville at the beginning (which the movie didn't offer). There's more I could talk about, but this summary is already long enough, so I'll just say that this special is definitely worth watching.

I'm honestly amazed that this special was not leaked or released early in any way at all. Really though, it's quite sad that such a feat can be considered an incredible accomplishment these days. Case in point, not only has the next Equestria Girls special (set to premiere a month from now in the US) already aired in Mexico, but also episode 14 (for which the US airdate has not yet even been confirmed) has already aired in China. Like I said, it's really sad to think that the realistic expectation on the rest of the final season being aired early is not a question of if, but rather a question of when and where. Either way, I intend to not watch any of these early releases, as I just can't handle seeing them at a rate of more than once a week.

- Berix