The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

There's A Lot More LBT Fans Than On This Forum

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I must say I'm surprised there are so many people downloading and watching the LBT TV Episodes that are hosted on my server.  I get upwards of 200 downloads per day from around 10 individuals.  This has been going on for as long as I've been hosting them......YEARS.  I do my best to advertise GOF on my websites, but it seems there are far more people interested in downloading the LBT TV Episodes than there are people who are interested in chatting about LBT on an online message board.  I'm typing this message from my new server.  As I type this, 3 different people are downloading some TV eps at about 100kps each.  As I look through the download history of the server, the TV episodes have been downloaded over 65,000 times.  That's roughly 2,500 unique individuals IF they downloaded every single episode.  Despite this fact, not nearly that many people are members of GOF.  The question is, how do we change that?  Sadly I have no idea.  Any ideas on how we can reach these people?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
More advertising may help, but there is likely a group of individuals who do not frequent boards to talk about things or they may only go to boards to talk about certain things like anime, mmo's or other things but don't want to go to boards to talk about lbt, dinotopia, or certain other things.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm sure some of those hits are parents of kids watching the shows.  Can't say they'd always have time to show up here (or would want to).  As for the rest, well, this is downright nasty, but require a registration here to be able to get the episodes. :p  It would force them to be a little more than a leech.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As for the rest, well, this is downright nasty, but require a registration here to be able to get the episodes. dino_tongue.gif It would force them to be a little more than a leech.

I don't know how I could do that.  Unless I had all the member's usernames and passwords there would be no way for me to verify if they're members of GOF or not.  Besides.....if I were to require registration, kids who would want to watch the episodes probably wouldn't be able to.  Any kid can click "play", but few can sign up on a forum, get a confirmation email, and register. :p Let me put it to you this way.  My mom would have a hard time figuring out how to sign up here.  I doubt a 4 year old could do it. :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Is it easy enough for a caveman to do it? :p  It was just a thought.  You could maybe add a message to the page offering people the option to come discuss the tv series on our web forums...sort of like how articles on websites offfer that once you've finished reading?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You could maybe add a message to the page offering people the option to come discuss the tv series on our web forums...sort of like how articles on websites offfer that once you've finished reading?

You know, that's a good idea.  Perhaps I'll add a "discuss this episode" link near the "download episode" and "episode summary" links on the download page.  The "discuss this episode" links will link to the appropriate episode discussion page here on the forums.  I'll look into this.  I should change the buttons anyways.  They're quite ugly. :p

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Watermarks! Commercial breaks! Closed captioning sponsored by the GOF! :idea

...Well, maybe Petrie's idea is better. :(

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If I was willing to pay for an ad, I could put one up on Facebook.  Not just money being a tiny issue, but also I would need an attractive picture and I would need a phrase of sorts to attract attention.

The last thing isn't a problem, it's the picture I'm most concerned with.

If anyone's willing to make an attractive picture, just remember these dimensions: 110px by 80px.  Anything bigger will be automatically resized to fit the picture, and that could look horrible in the end.

Just so you know, I did some research, and there's over 12,000 people on Facebook that enjoy Land Before Time.  That's quite a number, huh? :)

EDIT: Also, maybe we could Google Ad this place?  I don't know.  It's just a thought. -_-

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Aug 21 2009 on  10:33 PM
If I was willing to pay for an ad, I could put one up on Facebook.  Not just money being a tiny issue, but also I would need an attractive picture and I would need a phrase of sorts to attract attention.

The last thing isn't a problem, it's the picture I'm most concerned with.

If anyone's willing to make an attractive picture, just remember these dimensions: 110px by 80px.  Anything bigger will be automatically resized to fit the picture, and that could look horrible in the end.

Just so you know, I did some research, and there's over 12,000 people on Facebook that enjoy Land Before Time.  That's quite a number, huh? :)
Just so you know, I did some research, and there's over 12,000 people on Facebook that enjoy Land Before Time. That's quite a number, huh? smile.gif

I've done facebook searches too, but all the fan sites are pretty much to have a link in your profile that says "I'm a fan of Land Before Time", not that they'd publicly discuss in on facebook!  These aren't discussion areas.  Just because they'd add a one time click to their facebook profiles doesn't mean they'd actually try and talk about it.  The ones that do have a facebook wall, haven't been touched in months.

Facebook ads may not be worth the effort.

I think its worth having ads on youtube than facebook...meaning like a video advertising this place.