The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Update on the Forum

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good morning, everyone!

I wanted to touch base with all of you concerning some upcoming maintenance on the forum. The changes on your end will be minimal, but there might be some disruptions to the forum while we are making the upgrades.

Our current server uses SMF (Simple Machines Forum) on the software side of things, and it has served us well ever since we migrated from TapaTalk. That being said, SMF has moved on to a new version of their software that has numerous security and backside improvements. Considering a few recent events (namely one bot making over 700 accounts in one day despite our security protocols and a situation where numerous people who tried to register for the server were not given confirmation emails) we felt it was time to upgrade to the latest version.

Currently, we do not have a set time for when we are going to be making this upgrade. Our current thinking is that we will do this at some point in May. During the upgrade process a fresh backup of the server will be made and the forum may go down for up to 48 hours while the changes are made. We are rather confident, however, that the disruption to the server should only take a few hours.

We will keep you informed as we move along with the process. Now with that in mind, Taunt also has some announcements for the server. Take it away, Taunt!

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Taunt

• A questionable test account
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theonion.com/

As you all can see, Rhombus has put me to work straight out of the portal. Can you believe the nerve of this guy? Anyway... sadly I will not have time to do the usual pranks today. But I do have some good news!

Due to the recent controversy concerning AI art, I thought it would be a great idea to showcase such art in the Fanart section of the forum. I know that all of you will agree. :taunttroll The admins have demanded that all AI art be relegated to the AI art topic, and that the usual rules against inappropriate art apply, but, shockingly, they agreed to my proposal provided that me and the gang help with the upcoming forum updates.

So let’s all give the team a warm welcome for their efforts!

Here you can see zero-point hard at work. He doesn’t post much, between university work and other life obligations, but he has proved invaluable in helping the boomers who run the forum to understand how basic computer concepts work. Though I still don’t understand how he does the wiring without hands...

Ruby has been working hard managing things on the financial side. Because of all of you, the forum is on good financial footing and has been for the last several years. We are all grateful for your support.

Chomper has been doing his part as well! He was initially unhappy about being turned into an AI-designed abomination by the magical portal, but he quickly got over it. Or, at least I think he did, I was too busy running out of the server room to ask!

And finally, Ducky has really seen better days ever since going through the AI art portal! But she has dutifully stuck to her task of protecting the forum from spammers. Sometimes it takes a firm hand to say Nope, Nope, Nope!

So here is the task for all of you, dear forum members: Can you use AI art programs to make better depictions of us Land Before Time (and fan) characters? If you are up to the challenge, feel free to show us your best results in the AI art section. And, who knows... I might just present some of my own artwork in the topic over the coming year.  :bestsharptooth

Happy April Fools, everyone! The AI art topic can be found here: https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=17982.msg546317#msg546317

Rattymon

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Thank you for the update.  :PAli

I like how "Ducky" has two tails!  :duckyworried

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Nice to see you again, Taunt. :rainbowwave But what on Earth did you do to Chomper's feet??

So here is the task for all of you, dear forum members: Can you use AI art programs to make better depictions of us Land Before Time (and fan) characters? If you are up to the challenge, feel free to show us your best results in the AI art section.
Challenge accepted, stay tuned... :PteranoPlotting

Taunt

• A questionable test account
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theonion.com/
Challenge accepted, stay tuned... :PteranoPlotting

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!   :taunttroll

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm pretty sure I saw Ducky freelancing in that new Palworld game xD

Congrats to y'all, best of luck with the backend updates!