The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Screenshot software

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hey.
I'm on the hunt for a better screenshot software.
I'm currently using VLC, but it doesn't please me anymore.
If you have any tips of great programs (or programs NOT to use for that matter) I'd be thankful if you could give me the name so I could try it out.
Would be useful for everyone.

Note: I'm quite sure topics such as this already exists, but I stopped looking after a while.  ;)
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If you want full quality DVD snapshots, here's what's required:

*At least 60gb of free hard disk space
*Magic DVD Ripper or another program that can rip the FULL copy movies onto the computer
*An awesome app called "Video Snapshot Genius" and $29.95 USD for the license

Notes:

To get this to work, you MUST get the full quality DVDs onto the computer in VOB format.  The required 60gb of hard disk space is based upon all 13 movies being ripped in FULL QUALITY and put onto the computer.  If you want to try the full version of video snapshot genius, go download a torrent of it, but let me just tell you that the illegal version doesn't work 100% perfectly.  It cuts off corners of the pictures, but when you actually buy the program it works fine.  Please remember to buy legal software. :yes

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Should add that I'll not buy anything.  :rolleyes:
And I don't think I'd like to re-rip all 13 movies... What is VOB by the way?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Sorry, but if you want crap images, use ripped movies and free programs.  If you want good images, use shareware programs and rip the movies in full quality.  That's the only way.  If you just want to use the rips then you won't get any decent pictures, I can tell you that.  I only use VLC to take really fast snapshots like for an avatar.  Since the image is going to be so small, you can't tell it's a crappy picture.

There's no easy way to get good quality snapshots.  You need storage space, $, be willing to make the effort, and have the time to make the quality good.  If you're missing even one of those components, you can just forget it.

What is VOB by the way?

A piece of crap video format that makes movies that could be 1-2gb into 4-9gb movies. :rolleyes: It's gotta be the worst format to work with (well....besides RGBM.....)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't like VOB. It can't be read by anything except DVD Players and you'd need to convert them into something else, such as AVI.

Wait, I'm wrong. A couple programs, like VLC, can play VOB files.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I use AVS DVD player for making screenshots. The free version does it :)

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I can't see any different in the quallity between the DVDs and the ripped mp4 files I have on my HD. So far I can't complain. They take up 47 GB, and then I haven't even watched the 9th and 13th movie! And the 1st aint ripped yet.
But nevertheless, they look good.
And I am stubborn here: I'm not buying a software for this purpose.

Maybe there's something wrong with my eyes. We'll see that after I get my glasses.  <_<

I'm not that picky when it comes to quallity. (except when it comes to my artwork, but that's my fault)
I'm just curious about other solutions, and see what it could provide with. I'm open for tests.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
WHen I used windows I use to use a free media player called media player classic.  It is not the windows default media player but a different one.  It can do screen shots.  If you want to see what the quality is like just look at the screen shots that Mim uploaded onto the LBT wiki.  Maybe not full screen dvd quality screen shots, but I think they are not bad for using a free media player program.  & I'm not one of those picky folks who demands everything has to be in color and dvd or higher then dvd quality video and audio.