The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Song Project: Things Change

action9000 · 255 · 18842

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hi and welcome to the Gang of Five discussion topic for the LBT 12 song "Things Change"! :D

For those of you new to the singing/recording process we do here, please see this topic:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...?showtopic=1506

So far, this project has received interest from the following vocalists:
Action9000 ( :P: )
Dash the Longneck
duckytears
Flathead
landbeforetimelover
littlefoot
littlefoot1616
Malte
Manny Cav
Nimrod
Pokeplayer
Ryuuzaki
Saftycera
SaphireRaptor
Stitch

Status of project:
Background music completed: 100% roughed out (available for download here:
http://www.driveway.com/nknde61975 )100% complete

Original music completed: n/a
Recordings received: ALL
Overall completion: 100%

APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 28th, 2008
If you wish to sing with us, I need to you post here or let me know otherwise that you want to join in.  Please do so by the date above.  This is because I need to know how to group the singers and I have to give the singers time to get their recordings done.  Thanks. :yes

RECORDING DEADLINE: January 31st, 2008
Please submit your recordings to me (MSN, e-mail, yousendit, any method is fine) by the date above.  There will be no extensions to the deadline.  If you have not sent me your recording by this date, you will be excluded from the song.  Thanks. :)

Date of Background Music Completion: COMPLETE.  Final version will be included with the release of the vocal rendition of the song.

Upon the completion of writing the background music, I shall set application and recording deadlines.  Until then, feel free to discuss any ideas, questions, or line preferences (which lines you want to sing) you have.  if you want a to request specific lines in the song to sing, just post it up and I'll do my best to accomidate you (conflicts will be resolved as they arise). :)
The lyrics have been posted up on my website.  If anyone is interested in an Mp3 of the original song, let me know and I'll have it up for you.  

Please remember though, to Not record your voice while listening to the original song!
 Synchronizing your voice to my music will be very difficult (if not impossible. :P:)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I want in!
You voted for this song in the other topic, therefore you are in automatically :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, i completely missed the voting process but nevertheless, i want to be a part of this project!

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I know I didn't vote for this song. But do you think I could join? I loved recording the last time I'd even sing  I feel so Happy. (Okay, maybe not that song but you get the idea.) ;)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Hope ya got that new computer Action.  Something tells me that this project is gonna boom.  You did mention that you had some trouble with our last song due to the amount of singers in it and the fact that you're limited to 3ghz.  I hope ya got the new computer!  This is gonna be great!

I loved recording the last time I'd even sing I feel so Happy. (Okay, maybe not that song but you get the idea.)

I sing that song to myself all the time!  I never record it though.  It's too cheesy. :lol:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'll be in if you can't get someone to do the high part. ;)  But I won't sing the rest of the song.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 23 2007 on  04:46 AM
Hope ya got that new computer Action.  Something tells me that this project is gonna boom.  You did mention that you had some trouble with our last song due to the amount of singers in it and the fact that you're limited to 3ghz.  I hope ya got the new computer!  This is gonna be great!

I loved recording the last time I'd even sing I feel so Happy. (Okay, maybe not that song but you get the idea.)

I sing that song to myself all the time!  I never record it though.  It's too cheesy. :lol:
I used to like that song. But after the fifth sixth or maybe even seventh time I have heard it it got really really annoying to me. :lol:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Will you be distributing lyrics automatically?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Jul 23 2007 on  08:30 AM
Will you be distributing lyrics automatically?
I'll take care of this one, Action, if you don't mind. :)

Here are the official lyrics of "Things Change". (It SO pays to keep your sent PMs.)

Song: Things Change
Lyrics:

Cera: Just when your life is perfect
Everything's looking bright
You're with your friends 'till daylight ends
And safe in your nest at night

Then you get this funny feeling
That something is just not right
And all at once things change
All at once things change

I used to be important
Until that egg was there
Although I know dad loves me
Seems like he forgot to care

I thought we were a family
But it's really so unfair
When all at once things change

Littlefoot: Familes grow
Grown ups you know,
Turn into someone new

Ducky: You try to keep things like they are

Ducky and Littlefoot: But you wind up changing too

Ducky: Maybe a baby threehorn will not be so bad at all

Littlefoot: You can teach her to talk

Ducky: To roll a rock.

Littlefoot: And catch her if she starts to fall

Ducky: Maybe things will be better
Then you ever thought they could

Cera: And maybe when things change

Littlefoot and Ducky: Maybe when things change

Cera: Oh maybe when things change

Littlefoot, Cera and Ducky: They will change into something good.
-------

On top of that, here's the footage from the original scene so you know how it goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_P8bC-9pxQ

That should be plenty of help. :^.^:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
What I meant was who was doing what, not what the actual lyrics are.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Jul 23 2007 on  12:57 PM
What I meant was who was doing what, not what the actual lyrics are.
You usually sing the whole thing and Tim will choose where you fit in the best. :)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Wouldn't that be sort of difficult if 2 of the dinos were singing at the same time, but were doing different parts?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Dash the Longneck:
Flathead:
Welcome aboard! B)

I'll take care of this one, Action, if you don't mind.
Thanks, Pokeplayer :)

Wouldn't that be sort of difficult if 2 of the dinos were singing at the same time, but were doing different parts?
Looks like Manny Cav thought of the same problem I was trying to work out.
We can handle this any way the team here wants to.

An example of this in Things Change can be seen in the lines
Cera: And maybe when things change

Littlefoot and Ducky: Maybe when things change

Cera: Oh maybe when things change

We can do one of a few things in this case:

1) We can all sing "And maybe when things change.  Maybe when things change, Oh maybe when things change", which may be a little tricky since it is designed to be sung by 3 different people.  This won't give very good results because the "Oh" of Cera's line starts before "maybe when things change" sung by Littlefoot and Ducky are finished.

2) We can break up into 2 groups.  The first group sings Cera's line, the second group sings Littlefoot and Ducky's lines.

3) We can break up into 3 groups.  One for Cera's line, one to sing Littlefoot's harmony, one to sing Ducky's harmony.

4)We can scrap Littlefoot and Ducky's harmony at the end and just sing Cera's lines.

We will need to coordinate a bit for this section of the song because it cannot be done by singing just one part without scrapping part of the singing.  We will need to break up into multiple parts for this to work.

I suggest we do the following:

Once I complete the background music, I will sing the song on my own, singing the lead part (basically, Cera's lines), no harmony parts.  I will then send everyone here the music with me singing, as well as the music with no singing (you may sing to whichever one you find easier to sing along with).  

Our group will break up into 2 groups.  The first group will sing Cera's lines whenever there is a harmony (like the example above).  The second group will sing one of the harmony parts.  Once I receive those recordings from most of the team here, I will make another recording of myself singing the Other harmony part (whichever hasn't been covered yet).  I'll replace the old recording of me with the new one, and we *should* end up with the lead vocal, as well as 2-part harmonies wherever we need them.

That being said, we need to break off into groups if we continue with this plan?  If you don't understand the plan or you have other ideas on how to handle the song, post back with your comments! :wow  If you like the idea, let me know.  The requirement for this plan is that we need people willing to sing the harmony parts.  I'm sure that most of the people participating in this song want to sing Cera's lines the most.  Remember that there are Not very many harmony parts.  You will get to sing Cera's part for most of the song, whether you're in the 1st or 2nd group.  

Does this plan sound reasonable?  Does it need more explaining, rewording, anything?

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Given the success of the last sing-a-long, I'm all for this one! Just lemme know when recordings are needed and I'll get right on 'em!  ;)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm... this is really started to add up on me. Will you be deciding who is in what "group?" If I'm going to sing the whole thing like Petrie suggested, then how will I do the  harmony parts? I've only been here for a week or two, so my first time doing this is going to be a trial-and-error process.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I think we should all sing all parts and you should just use whoever's voice sounds the best for littlefoot/ducky part at the end.  Ya know, we'll sing 1 recording leaving the littlefoot/ducky part at the end out of it and then, we'll just make another recording lasting like 10 seconds and just sing that line.  If we do it this way, there will be a better chance of getting someone who sings the best together to sing the littlefoot/ducky part at the end.  Does this make sense?

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Does this plan sound reasonable?
I like the idea and can't think of a better way of doing it, also, i wouldn't mind singing harmony if we decide to include it in the song.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Given the success of the last sing-a-long, I'm all for this one! Just lemme know when recordings are needed and I'll get right on 'em!
Will do, LF1616!  Sounds like a plan!

we'll sing 1 recording leaving the littlefoot/ducky part at the end out of it and then, we'll just make another recording lasting like 10 seconds and just sing that line. If we do it this way, there will be a better chance of getting someone who sings the best together to sing the littlefoot/ducky part at the end. Does this make sense?
I like that idea.  If anyone wants to do this, I'm more than happy to accept recordings of this nature. :)

i wouldn't mind singing harmony if we decide to include it in the song.
Great!  We'll probably only need one or two people maximum singing harmony.

Hmm... this is really started to add up on me. Will you be deciding who is in what "group?" If I'm going to sing the whole thing like Petrie suggested, then how will I do the harmony parts? I've only been here for a week or two, so my first time doing this is going to be a trial-and-error process.
I'm sorry, I can understand how this project can be a bit overwhelming, especially for a new member.  I'm happy to see such enthusiam and interest in what we're doing though!  I will try to make this project as clear as possible for you.  If you have any other questions, just keep posting them up. :yes

The "group" idea is brand new to this project so I'm making this up as I go along :p

The plan was to let everyone choose which "group" to be in; the Lead singing group or the harmony group.  If we did't get enough people in a group (as long as we have one, we'll be fine), I'll need to start assigning groups to people or we'll need to dicsuss an alternate plan.

Good news though!  It seems that Flathead is willing to sing harmony, so as long as at least one of you is willing to sing Cera's lead lines, we'll be fine!  I will be likely singing harmony along with Flathead, so somebody other than I will need to sing the lead.  Once we figure out who will be doing that, we'll be all set!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Let me just re-assure you all about something with this song: ;)

I have looked into it a little bit. The "high note" in "Things Change" (All, Once) is a long B-flat.  This note is lower than the last note in "If We Hold On Together" (which is a C).  It is only one half-step higher than the "Sauuuuur!" in "Lone Dinosaur".  If you can sing the word "Dinosaur!!" in Lone Dinosaur, you'll be fine with this one.

If you listen to the MIDI file below, you will hear the note that male singers will need to hit.  See?  It's really not that high. :)

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...A91207A65802930

female singers will be an octave above the previous clip, hitting the same note as the original song, like this:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...704DA5174D45CCC