The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Song Project: Things Change

action9000 · 255 · 18780

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
so somebody other than I will need to sing the lead. Once we figure out who will be doing that, we'll be all set!

I am willing, but not able.  We're in the process of moving and everything's a little out of control.  The RV's in a parking garage and there's nowhere I can sing for at least 2 weeks.  I'm sorry. :(   Someone else will have to do it, no matter how much I want to.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
there's nowhere I can sing for at least 2 weeks.
No worries!  I don't even expect the background music to be ready in 2 weeks if my schedule stays this busy! :p   I won't have the deadline for recordings before September 1st for sure, and probably even later than that.  As long as you get set up within a month and a half, i'm sure you can sing with us. :yes

EDIT : September 1st, not August 1st LOL

Hope ya got that new computer Action. Something tells me that this project is gonna boom. You did mention that you had some trouble with our last song due to the amount of singers in it and the fact that you're limited to 3ghz.
I hope I get it soon, too.  I placed the order for my computer but I haven't received it yet.  It will sure make life easier once I receive it though; I hope it gets here soon!  Then I won't have to worry about sacrificing control and sound to free up computing power.  It'll be nice.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I can't resist :p

Here is a short "teaser" mp3 of the music I've completed so far.  Obviously there is a Lot left to do but I think this song will turn out very nicely, based on how it's going so far! :yes

I think my little electric piano sound handles this song very well!  I was worried about that but I think it will work out just fine ;)

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...8B1CCB41EE3F971

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I've already worked out with Tim what I'm willing to do for this song.  He'll fit me in if possible.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think that someone might have already said this, but what if I send you a full recording minus the harmony, and then a shorter recording with just the harmony?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
what if I send you a full recording minus the harmony, and then a shorter recording with just the harmony?
That will work nicely. :)
If you want to do that, it's just fine with me.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That will work nicely.
If you want to do that, it's just fine with me

That's what I wanna do to! :D

Saphireraptor

• Ruby
    • View Profile
hey i'd like to sing for this one too! thanks!  :DD

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm honestly looking forward to hear you on this one Saphire (no flattery intended) :yes

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Quote from: Malte279,Jul 28 2007 on  03:55 AM
I'm honestly looking forward to hear you on this one Saphire (no flattery intended) :yes
Hi, I want to sing with you too.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hi, I want to sing with you too.
Okay!  I will have the music posted up shortly.
When you finish your recording (after I post the music up), you will have to send it to me somehow.  Hotmail only accepts files up to 10 MB in size.  What you can do is use
http://www.yousendit.com

to send larger files.  Check out the site and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :yes

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I personally prefer:

http://www.driveway.com/index.html

Up to 500mb file uploads and unlimited bandwidth.  Files last for 3 months if no one accesses them in that time.

EDIT:  forgot to say that you don't even need to sign up to upload files! :yes

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Significant delay coming up:

I got my new computer last week and I installed the only sound card I have that is very functional for audio work, into it.

Unfortunately, the onboard network card (allowing connection to the internet) has failed on the new computer's motherboard.  Thankfully it is still under warranty so the computer will be in for repairs indefinitely.  I assume it will not be longer than one week but I do not have a computer capable of working on this song at my house at the moment.  I will let you know when I get my workstation computer back, but for now this song is on *hold*.

Sorry everyone, I hope I get the computer back soon.  I still have a computer with internet but it's not capable of working on the song.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
awwwww...that's too bad Action.  Didn't you have a spare network card?  I always keep one of those handy.  If you had one, you could have used it temporarily.  That's what happened on my mom's new computer when she first bought it.  I installed a temporary one until it could be fixed by the company.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Didn't you have a spare network card?
Problem:
I'm running Windows XP 64-bit edition.  None of my spare network cards have 64-bit drivers and refuse to work in Windows 64.  I NEED my onboard network card to work.  If I was running normal 32-bit Windows, it would be fine.  Trust me, I tried that with no luck. :(

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Aug 3 2007 on  07:57 PM
Problem:
I'm running Windows XP 64-bit edition.
I've never went anything near "x64" editions of Windows. It's kind of scary -- I fear that all of my programs and games will not work. Is there any real advantage to 64-bit Windows XP or Vista over their 32-bit cousins?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Is there any real advantage to 64-bit Windows XP
For most people there isn't much of an advantage.  64-bit Windows XP has proven to be a life saver for me because of the larger amount of RAM it will address.

32-bit operating systems will only address up to 4 GB of memory (physical RAM or virtual memory).  This includes the Windows kernel (core).  Any application in Windows 32-bit can only use up to 2 GB (3 GB with a special switch enabled in boot.ini) and the other 2GB / 1GB is reserved for the Windows kernel.  This means that any one application can ONLY access up to a maximum of 2 GB of memory address space (3GB with the switch, which can affect stability in some applications).  Once you reach this limit, you instantly start getting "out of memory" errors, regardless of how much RAM you have installed.  Windows won't see it.

In 64-bit, this 4GB total cap is increased to 128GB (in reality.  The theoretical number is much MUCH higher than 128 GB.  I think it's somewhere in the EB range :p).  Using the standard 2GB for the operating system, that leaves 126GB of virtual and physical memory address space for applications.  For my audio work, I can Very Easily fill 3 GB of memory so this is a tremendous advantage for me.  To put it in perspective how fast I can fill up RAM, this "Things Change" project takes up almost 2 GB of RAM when it's loaded...it's only about 33% complete and it's a relatively light project.  I  have 4 GB of RAM installed in my 64-bit computer and am considering upgrading to 8 GB in a couple of months when I get more money.  

Basically, if you find yourself running out of memory, 64-bit will solve all of your problems.  Otherwise, there isn't a huge advantage.  For me it's a life saver.  For 99% of people, it's not worth the hassle of trying to find drivers that don't exist :p

I fear that all of my programs and games will not work.
I've never had a problem with programs or games not working.  The problems are trying to find 64-bit drivers.  Once you find the drivers, all of the applications will work fine.  Some devices and companies simply don't have 64-bit drivers for their hardware yet.  That's the big problem right now.  I was able to find 64-bit drivers for nearly all of my devices though, including:

ATi X1950 Pro video card
Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card
built-in network card

I was Not able to find 64-bit drivers for:
my older network cards
my typing keyboard (my media buttons don't work in x64 :( )

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
EB? I don't know how much that is, but if it's higher than a terabyte....

There's an older desktop computer that's always running out of memory, and it's slow like you wouldn't believe. It takes *5 minutes for Windows to completely load, another 3 for it to shut down, around half a minute to access some unviewed folders, and it's always complaining about memory. It runs on Windows XP 32-bit with a Celeron processor or whatever. The laptop I'm on is also 32-bit XP, but it has a Pentium M processor. It's 10 times as fast, and it's hardly ever complained to me about memory, RAM, or anything. It might have done it once or twice, but I can never get it to repeat it (but thy would I want it to? :p).

I don't think 64-bit Windows will do me any service.

*I'm winging it with these numbers. I didn't have a stop-watch, you know. :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
EB? I don't know how much that is, but if it's higher than a terabyte....
EB = Exabyte = 1000TB :P:

There's an older desktop computer that's always running out of memory, and it's slow like you wouldn't believe. It takes *5 minutes for Windows to completely load, another 3 for it to shut down, around half a minute to access some unviewed folders, and it's always complaining about memory.
This computer is probably just showing its age and probably doesn't have sufficient physical RAM installed.  You can install physical RAM chips up to 4 GB and see performance gains (depending on your applications).  In Windows, if you install 1.5 GB of RAM or more (my personal recommendation to prevent bad things from happening), you can completely disable virtual memory.  Virtual memory is a feature that treats your hard drive as RAM.  It's much, MUCH slower than physical RAM.  If you can disable virtual memory, you can speed things up quite a bit.

Also, if this computer is bogged down with applications, drivers, and startup stuff (like my current old computer! :p) it will slow down big-time no matter how much RAM is in it.  The only good fix for this: format the hard drive and start again. :lol

The laptop I'm on is also 32-bit XP, but it has a Pentium M processor. It's 10 times as fast, and it's hardly ever complained to me about memory, RAM, or anything. It might have done it once or twice, but I can never get it to repeat it (but thy would I want it to? ).
:p
I recommend 1GB of RAM for everyone, just to keep Windows running nice and smooth.  As long as you aren't using super high-performance applications and your computer isn't loaded with extra programs that are always running, you should get great memory/Windows performance with at least 1GB.  

Don't concen yourself with Windows 64 until you have 3-4 GB of RAM installed and you are still getting out-of-memory issues.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
My Computer is reporting 504 MB of RAM on the fast laptop I'm typing this on. I guess I don't do a lot of stuff that uses a lot of RAM, because it runs smooth and great. However, I bet 504 MB of RAM would probably choke your computer and all of your sound projects. :lol I don't see one good reason to upgrade at the moment. I probably need to do some checking with that older computer, though. It's loathsome, I tells ya!

I also forgot to mention that it has an annoying deal where it will restart randomly if you're using certain programs. This is an excruciating pain in the neck, as, like I said, Windows is molasses slow loading. Before it resets, the fan will be blowing hard, and it will start to sound like a Corvette at 100 MPH. My family and I are speculating that the internals have collected a lot of dirt (it's an older computer).