The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 73838

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
YES!  Hahaha, Finally making some good progress! :D  :wow  

Okay, I have something for everyone who wants to try it:
A new version! :D

Don't worry, I made the wait worthwhile for everyone!

New stuff in this version:
Lots! :p

1) New Map, featuring the area of the Great Valley from the first LBT!  The 2D map is thanks to Malte.  I did the conversion from the 2D map to the 3D map used in the game.

2) FIXED Collision problems as far as I can tell.  I'd like playtesters to confirm this but I think I have the coding now so that the player is completely unable to walk through a wall. :)  I played around for a good 20 minutes without walking through one once.

3) Improved the lighting on the map, creating natural shadows and a real light source from up in the sky.

4) Improved Sky graphics! We now have a nice, pretty daytime sky with none of the ugly 'cube' effects from previous verions. :)  

5) Improved overall framerate and game performance with improved collision code and better map design.

6) Put the START button on the HOST GAME screen in the proper place. :p

7) Improved jumping.   The cube no longer "skips" or "teleports" upward immediately after pressing the spacebar, but jumps smoothly as expected. :)

8) Changed the game's font to one that isn't so ugly. :p

9) Fixed a bunch of bugs from the previous version, as can be seen in the previous version's post.

10) Options screen lets you change the resolution.

KNOWN ISSUES (basically just cosmetic stuff and online issues at this point. The single player engine basically works. :D ):

1) Camera collision still isn't very good. Left click isn't too bad.  Right-click is pretty bad. :p

2) The chat text still doesn't stay properly in that chat box.

3) Online play has some framerate problems after about 10 minutes.  I'm still looking into the cause of this.  One of my friends here thinks it's a buffer overflow or something.  I really have to do some research on this problem.

4) Littlefoot1616 was having trouble getting an earlier version (before the collision fixes and performance optimizations, etc.) of the program to load a map on his Vista machine.  

5) If you change the resolution, the game crashes when you close it instead of closing properly.

6) Not enough features! :p

COMING SOON:

1) Hopefully fix the issues above. :p

2) Water in the river bed on the map.

3) The creation of actual tasks to do in the game. :D

4) Changing sky graphics over time, including day/evening/sunset/night/sunrise cycles. :)

Now...finally..after no more delays...
The Land Before Time 3D RPG, V0.10

If anyone finds any bugs other than camera collision issues or those mentioned directly here, please let me know!  Thanks very much! B)

Also, if anyone could please tell me about how many Frames Per Second you're getting when running the game, that would be awesome too!  I'm curious how the game runs on other systems.

TECHNICAL STUFF:

You'll see some text in the top-left corner while you're playing the game.

"GRAVITY IS CURRENTLY APPLYING TO PLAYER" appears while the gravity function is working normally.  Does not apply while a player is sliding down a hill, as a different set of functions handles that movement.

"FALL-THROUGH PROTECTION ON" appears when a function is in use that prevents the player from falling through a wall in situations where it could potentially happen otherwise.  I wrote this one just today. :p

the number that appears there in that corner is the distance from half the height of the player above the player to the nearest object on the map below the player.  It's just something I used for debugging purposes, don't worry about it. :p

The game broke 20MB in size today!
2526 lines of code.  :P:
Dual-cores not taken proper advantage of, and probably never will because I'm not that good of a programmer. :p

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Awesome action! Things are starting to really look good! I can't wait until actual game content starts being worked on :D

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile
Before we start doing tasks, we'll need actual characters though.  

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Before we start doing tasks, we'll need actual characters though.
We do need the characters to talk to, HOWEVER, we don't need the *graphics* until everything else is done.  They're low priority.  Littlefoot1616 is working on 3d models of characters as he finds time but we can progress with development without the 3d characters. :)

Now...for a sneak peek of what I'm working on now!  Malte, I think you'll like this one:

Water Water everywhere! :D
Well...where we want it, at least. :p

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
action9000, awesome work. :)
Now about the FPS. Because my computer gone dead four days ago, i'm currently using the weaker machine with the processor of 2,8 GHz and 2 Gb of RAM. The FPS rate with resolution 800x600 is 50+. If i'll change resolution to 1024x768 the FPS will fall a little - to 30-40 FPS.
I also was able to find a glitch, i guess. I don't know about others, but when i'm pressing the "Esc" button the game is getting freezed and the error message is being shown by windows. :huh:
BTW, how about to save the last used resolution in game? It is always set to 800x600 by default.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i'm currently using the weaker machine with the processor of 2,8 GHz and 2 Gb of RAM. The FPS rate with resolution 800x600 is 50+. If i'll change resolution to 1024x768 the FPS will fall a little - to 30-40 FPS.
30-40 FPS on a 2.8GHz machine, huh?  Hmm, Im' guessing that video card is not very powerful but at least it's very fast in 800x600 and playable in 1024x768! :)  Very cool, thank you!

Ideally I'd like to give the game pretty low system requirements so it's nice and accessible, while having the highest detail levels very pretty for the more powerful systems.  It seems like it's working quite well, though I'd like to see what some more users have to say about their performance. :)

Unfortunately I don't have any code in yet to turn the detail levels down or anything so everything is showing up in the maximum view distance and maximum detail settings for now. :p In other words, a computer with a slow video card will really suffer right now. Stick with the low resolutions for now until we can change some other options (lowering the view distance will help a lot. There are a lot of polygons on the screen right now!) , if it's too slow. :)

BTW, the way I've coded the game, nobody will ever see more than 60 Frames per second. :p

I also was able to find a glitch, i guess. I don't know about others, but when i'm pressing the "Esc" button the game is getting freezed and the error message is being shown by windows.
Are you in XP or Vista?

BTW, how about to save the last used resolution in game? It is always set to 800x600 by default.
Sure, saving settings will definitely come in the future. :)  Only thing is, I need to save them to some file on your computer and I just haven't gotten around to coding making/opening/closing files yet.  For sure, that's coming!  That's annoying me too, as I like to run it in 1680x1050, which takes like 5 clicks every time. :p

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Oct 1 2008 on  07:17 AM
Are you in XP or Vista?
XP, second service pack. :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Framerate 58/59 in 1024x768 Found no bugs so far, will try again after school if not too busy with homework :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Framerate 58/59 in 1024x768 Found no bugs so far
Awesome, thank ya thank ya! :)

XP, second service pack. 
If you change the resolution, you will get a Windows error when you close the game.  I haven't fixed that yet.  I will eventually, I just didn't think it was the most important thing to do right away so I haven't looked into it. :)

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Oct 1 2008 on  08:31 AM
If you change the resolution, you will get a Windows error when you close the game.  I haven't fixed that yet.  I will eventually, I just didn't think it was the most important thing to do right away so I haven't looked into it. :)
Oh, okay. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I get around 55-57 frames per second on pc2.
Very cool, thanks Kor. :)  :yes

I should have time today to work on the game some more.  Hopefully water wil be sorted out fairly soon. :)

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Strange...
It seems I can't download the file.
It gives me an "HTTP Status 500"- Error when I hit download.

Anyway, awesome work, action.  :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sounds like Driveway is down again.  <_<
I've seen it do that before with other files I've uploaded.  It should be up again in time. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just letting everyone know, water is making good progress. :)
It's not perfect yet but it's getting very! :yes

It's nothing too fancy yet but you can go underwater with some new lighting effects, you can swim on top of the water, etc.  At this point, I'm looking to improve the controls and 'physics' of underwater movement.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Now...finally..after no more delays...
The Land Before Time 3D RPG, V0.10

Ha ha! It's finally the weekend, which means I HAVE TIME TO PLAY THE NEWEST VERSION!  :birthday  And that's exactly what I'm gonna do right now!

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Woah... the new version is breathtaking! You've done a great job on the landscape, Tim! All the colors really bring out the scene! The camera also has been fixed, and it's impossible to see the green behind the sky anymore.

I noticed the shadows too. ;) I thouhgt that was neat.

You said the options screen lets you change resolution. Well, on my screen it only gave me one choice, 800X600. Does it give more for people with better/different computers?

I assume someone has already mentioned the ability to see under the level when Neil's on a slope? Other than that, everything seems great! Is there anything else in the level I should look for? Water? A tan mountain I can actually climb? I followed this one path forever but eventually stoped because I was afraid I was going around in circles. Should I have kept going?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Found something else out, about the shadows. I'll try and explain this best as I can.

My goal was to find the highest point in the level, so from where I started (I'll call it Ground/Grey Level),  I went up the nesrest slope, onto the green part (First Floor, Green). Traveling northeast from my current position, I eventually found myself at the foot of the hill of the next level up (Second Floor, also Green). Traveling up the small lip of this wall, I eventually reached what looked like the highest point in the game, a darkened plateau with the rest of the entire level around it, except for in front of me, where I could only see an unclimable tan wall. Once up there, while admiring the view, I saw a dark blemish on the tan wall in front of me. Moving closer to examine it, I soon realized it was my shadow, impossibly high up on the wall above me. To make sure, I moved all the way in and touched the tan wall. The shadow also zoomed in until we collided (picture the "Littlefoot sees his mom but its his shadow" scene in LBT 1, only my shadow remained the same size). Until we collided, my shadow as higher than I was, and didn;t change size or shade. It looked highly unrealistic.

Here's why I think that happened. Your light source was on an even altitude with myself, which also explained why the floor of the plateau was dark. Therefore, the light shone onto me from a parrallel course and projected my shadow onto the wall. To fix this, I'd recommend either moving the light source up higher, or the plateau down lower, or obstructing the player's ability to reach the plateau.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Or do like in most movies and episodes where it's usually forever noon, unless the script says it's near sunset or sunrise.