The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 74726

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Ubersick! That is some seriously awesome landscape. I can't wait to get  out there!

What's that word in the upper left hand corner, at the mountain top?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
that says "Frames Per Second"

and here's some more excitement: I've been playing with texturing and layering of textures now!  I also cleaned up the map's geography quite a bit so it's smoother and more natural.

Check out this latest in-game screenshot! :D
(I'm putting this one right in the post because I think it's just that awesome. :p)

Yes, the lighting is a bit dark.  I apologize for that, I did a quick render of lighting, just so you could see it all.  I'll go back and give it a more "happy daylight" look here.

The framerate is horrible because I haven't been tweaking for performance yet.  I got the map a reasonable format, now I need to get lighting and dynamic detail levels functioning better so the framerate doesn't die. :p That, and clean up my mouse camera code, apparently.  It slows the game down, BIG TIME for some reason...*groan*. :p

That bedrock texture is pretty huge, too: 1024x1024.  I may end up using smaller ones later, for performance reasons.  I love the look of the big textures though. :D

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Dude, the texture looks........awesome. Like a real valley. Rocks and grass and everything. Love it! This is great work!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice picture.  Looks like things are progressing well.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
and just for fun, here's a link to a picture showing an overhead view of the entire 3d map:

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h141/act...ing-Ground1.jpg

and the 2d map that it's based on, many thanks to Malte! :)
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h141/act...ySection1-3.png

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Looks good. Is the river part filled with water yet?
Not yet, nope.  That's next on my list as soon as I figure out:
1) How to improve framerate! Ugh...:p
2) How to control lighting better. The lighting on the map is horrible right now.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
there's probably sites online desinged to help you with that, by providing helpful suggestions. Maybe the Wikipedia Computing Reference Desk? the nice thing with them is that they respond really quickly to questions, sometimes in less than five minutes.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oooo, shiny!  Thanks LB&T.  B)

Woo, I win!  Okay, I got the framerate from about 1 frame per second in the worst situations...up to about 58FPS. :D   Looking better all the time! B)

As for how?  A simple technical adjustment in the map settings in 3d World Studio. :p  Man...simple changes can make huge effects sometimes! :lol:

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Great, Tim! :D
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My computer is a freakin dinosaur.  I'm afraid it won't run the game.  Hopefully by the time this thing is ready, I'll have a new computer.  I might have to hold my nose and get Vista. :x

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like the game is coming along well.  

As for holding your nose and getting Vista with a new pc, if you wait long enough you may wind up with whatever os comes after Vista.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 That 3d view of that section made me drool. As for the texture, I know what are you referring, I have models of Battlestars in my copy of Star Trek Armada2, and the texture for those big battleships are 2048x2048 :blink: , incredible high in detail, but you can resize them without really loosing quality, by reducing a texture file to the half and then you sharpen the texture a bit. I often do that and the model still look very good, and that can really help to get rid of lags.
 Keep it up, it looks awesome, I wish I have more knowledge about 3d modelling, I can do models but I am still learning.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
That, is totaly awesome! :blink:
I just can't wait to be in there. :D

What's the programm called you make for the landscapes?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You been using the program long?
Nope, not really.  Hmm, I guess I picked it up around january or so, when I thought about trying to make a 3d game.  I'm not very experienced with 3d World Studio so I'll need everyone to bear with me. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe there is a forum where folks experienced in the program can help you and give you tips, unless you've already found one.   I think you've done a great job so far.

Vaan360

• Petrie
    • View Profile