The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Opera Metal-Bands

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I think they're called something else, but I'm not quite sure...:p

I love these three bands: Nightwish, Within Temptation, and Evanescence.

Yeah, I guess Nightwish and Within Temptation are a bit more "opera-like". While Evanescence is a more of an Alternative Metal band with some similarities to Opera.

The songs I love from Nightwish include:
Phantom of the Opera (I'm a HUGE POTO fan)
Beauty and the Beast (The guy's voice was a bit strange..but eh...that's Metal for ya)
Cadence of her Last Breath
Ocean Soul
Nemo
probably many other songs I can't think of right now....:p

Within Temptation:
Mother Earth
Never Ending Story
Angels
Our Solemn Hour
The Howling
Forgiven
The Cross
Jillian
Somewhere
Memories
The Howling

Evanescence:
My Immortal
Sweet Sacrifice
Hello
Whisper
Bring me to Life
Snow White Queen (yeah..it is creepy...and sad...but I like the music quality of it all)
Haunted(same with this one, it's creepy, but I love the music quality of it all)

I love these bands mostly because their songs have meaning and depth, unlike a lot of bands and groups I hear. They are very original as well.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I approve! :D

Nightwish has lost some of their "operatic" elements since they changed out their lead singer as of their most recent album, "Dark Passion Play".  I am happy with Nightwish's evolution though, pushing towards symphonic metal for many of their tracks.  I find their music has so much more depth than nearly anything else I've heard. Writing songs for a full rock band, choir and orchestra is a long way from an easy task and I applaud Nightwish for taking it on.

Bottom line though...I do think losing Tarja as the lead singer has hurt the band.  The new singer, while she isn't that bad, she's very different and I can definitely hear her struggling to sing some of the songs.  I really don't think her voice is as trained as Tarja's is.

I must admit though, their latest album, "Dark Passion Play" was a little rougher than I would have liked.  Thinking back to "Once", with "Ghost Love Score" for instance, the song was very elegant, beautiful, coherant and powerful.  Comparing GLS to the "equivalently-epic" (10:01 for ghost love score, 13:53 for Poet and the Pendulum) song on "Dark Passion Play", "The Poet and the Pendulum", they are of very different musical styles while utilizing the same basic instruments.

The Poet and the Pendulum would have earned more of my respect if a few key differences existed:
1) The opening was too sudden and too static.  For 1:20, we hear atmospheric-like music, which is fine except there is so little fluctuation, progression, development, etc.  The track opens up with a few seconds that sound like the opening was almost "cut off" and we started a little bit into the intro.  Perhaps just something subtle I feel with the track but it's taking me a little getting used to.
2) In the middle section of the song, the aggressive vocals are a turnoff for many listeners.  I find this section takes away with so much of the elegance that has been built up in this song prior.  To be fair, it is a stylistic choice.  I am just surprised that Nightwish would take such an aggressive stance on an otherwise beautifully-powerful song.

I don't fully understand the song but from what I know of it I'm not a huge fan of its performance.  It's very good in some parts but it lacks in others.

The Dark Passion Play album in general has a few musical themes which seem to be consistant throughout many of the tracks, specifically the use of chromatic notes (I'll post up some recordings to show you what I mean) on transitions and on the heavier parts of many songs, typically on the guitars or the orchestra.  The number of times this occurs on the album made me think it was some sort of theme that ties the album together.

Here are clips from some of the songs on Dark Passion Play to show you what I mean:
Amaranth
Poet and the Pendulum
Master passion Greed
Sahara
Whoever Brings the Night

I love what Nightwish does when they utilize their more elegant and beautiful sides.  I don't mean just the slower stuff; some of their upbeat tracks are very elegantly powerful (see Ghost Love Score, Nemo, Planet Hell, Dark Chest of Wonders, Amaranth, etc.)

Beauty and the Beast (The guy's voice was a bit strange..but eh...that's Metal for ya)
Toumas (the man, actually he's the keyboard player for Nightwish) has sung in a few other Nightwish songs as well.  In one version of this song, Nightwish and Sonata Arctica (another Finnish metal band whom I respect) performed it together with Tony Kakko taking over as the male lead singer.  He's actually very good. :)

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I am definitely a fan of this style of music.  I think it's also called symphonic metal.  The groups here I definitely heard and enjoyed was Nightwish, Evanescence, and Rhapsody.  The only other group I've heard of but not actually their music was Symphony X.  I'm not sure if a few of Skillet's albums could fit into this category, but I personally hear similar elements in their songs.

I certainly could tell the difference between albums when Nightwish changed their female vocals, and I believed Tarja's singing was absolutely perfect for their style of music.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
WOOT!
These types of bands are totally awesome.  
Fav. Song from the bands I know:

Evanescence:
My Immortal, Bring Me to Life

Nightwish:
Meadows of Heaven, The Kinslayer

Within Temptation
Our Solemn Hour

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm going to see Nightwish live in a couple of weeks!  I'm sure it will be a blast!

I bought my ticket back in December...the show was sold out by February and it's in May..This is Nightwish's first tour to Western Canada so I'm not surprised that it sold out so fast. :P:  :wow

I'm really looking forward to it though!

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yep, these are very good music! :yes
I specialy fancy Evanescene and Nightwish.

/Lillefot
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mirumoto_Kenjiro,May 5 2008 on  04:18 PM
I am definitely a fan of this style of music.  I think it's also called symphonic metal.
Thank you! I knew it was called something else, I just couldn't find the right words :huh:  :P:

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,May 5 2008 on  11:47 PM
I'm going to see Nightwish live in a couple of weeks!  I'm sure it will be a blast!

I bought my ticket back in December...the show was sold out by February and it's in May..This is Nightwish's first tour to Western Canada so I'm not surprised that it sold out so fast. :P:  :wow

I'm really looking forward to it though!
Lucky! I wish I could go to one of their concerts :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Lucky! I wish I could go to one of their concerts
Here is a list of all of their upcoming tours. Maybe you can still get in on one if you really want to. :yes
http://www.nightwish.com/en/live

(Funny how the two shows in Alberta, Canada are the only ones that sold out...then again, my friends and I probably bought up half of the tickets! :lol
I'll be at the Calgary show. :p)

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes!  They'll be in Phoenix in September!  I have GOT to see them live!

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,May 6 2008 on  10:23 AM
Lucky! I wish I could go to one of their concerts
Here is a list of all of their upcoming tours. Maybe you can still get in on one if you really want to. :yes
http://www.nightwish.com/en/live

(Funny how the two shows in Alberta, Canada are the only ones that sold out...then again, my friends and I probably bought up half of the tickets! :lol
I'll be at the Calgary show. :p)
Awww thank you! ^^ That's really nice of you to do that :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yes! They'll be in Phoenix in September! I have GOT to see them live!
Good luck!
Awww thank you! ^^ That's really nice of you to do that 
No worries. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wooo, just got back from the Nightwish concert and oh man, that was Awesome!! :D  :wow  :wow

They ended up playing, in approximately this order:

Bye Bye Beautiful
Whoever Brings the Night
Dark Chest of Wonders
The Islander
The Siren
Amaranth
Last of the Wilds
The Poet and the Pendulum
Sacrament of Wilderness (wicked keyboard solo! :p)
Sahara
Nemo
7 Days to the Wolves
Dead to the World
I Wish I Had an Angel

so it was actually a huge production!  I was amazed how much material they actually performed; truly an Amazing show! :wow

mcr mad

• Spike
    • View Profile
i hear some of that stuff that action9000 posted and it alright but it sounds realy weird to me :blink:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Too bad they didn't play Fantasmic.  
That's actually the second thing I thought after I left the concert (the first being how awesome it was). :p :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Would've probably had to pay The Mouse some major money to sing it since it is an active attraction. :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,May 17 2008 on  09:41 PM
Wooo, just got back from the Nightwish concert and oh man, that was Awesome!! :D  :wow  :wow

They ended up playing, in approximately this order:

Bye Bye Beautiful
Whoever Brings the Night
Dark Chest of Wonders
The Islander
The Siren
Amaranth
Last of the Wilds
The Poet and the Pendulum
Sacrament of Wilderness (wicked keyboard solo! :p)
Sahara
Nemo
7 Days to the Wolves
Dead to the World
I Wish I Had an Angel

so it was actually a huge production!  I was amazed how much material they actually performed; truly an Amazing show! :wow
Cool! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D though I wish they sang, "Cadance of her Last Breath". I don't know why I love that song, I just do...

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey, on youtube, I found videos of the Calgary concert I was at!
Might as well post links. :D

The sound quality is horrible, sadly.  Consumer-quality recording equipment can't capture audio in a room this loud. :lol That's why I didn't bother trying to record anything.

Bye Bye Beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0IUVpImtDU

The Islander:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by-DspEsk1Y&NR=1

wish I had an Angel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BCiGIRov7M

This is probably the best one:
Highlights!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zre08OB0Xrc