The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time Glossary

Pangaea · 93 · 33415

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It may be the same thing pbs had a show about in 2008 on their Nova program.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/beta/evolutio...d-dinosaur.html

& the program seems to be up on Youtube too

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9kQDA51Mp0

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I've been thinking about how Baryonyx were supposed to be fish eaters and scavangers. Could we possibly add Fishing Sharptooth to the list for Baryonyx?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
^ Well...they were portrayed as hunting like typical sharpteeth in LBT XIII, and the word “fish” has never been heard in LBT, but I guess so.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
In LBT 10, Petrie says, "Me think you mainly hurt her Brag Bone."  I'm guessing that Brag Bone means Pride or Ego.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^ It probably does, but personally, I didn't think of it as a LBT term. It reminded me of the term "funny bone" (referring to one's sense of humor as an imaginary physical component of the body). Perhaps a little anachronistic for LBT, but think "brag bone" was basically an idiom of the same concept.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I always thought it to be meant to sound similar to "back bone" (a term used by her father in LBT 5: "Show some backbone!").

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think "brag bone" is used as a sarcastic figure of speech on Petrie's part that was referring to Cera's pride.  

"Show some backbone!" is a figure of speech for not acting like a coward and actually showing courage.  Same idea as "Grow a pair!"

"Funny bone" is believed to be a bone in the elbow that hurts when its struck directly, but actually its the ulnar nerve which is located in the elbow.  So, when you've hit your elbow and that awful painful feeling sets in, you've actually hit a nerve and not a bone.  As Pangaea said, funny bone also refers to sense of humor.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I also seem to recall hearing people say things like "his funny bone must be broken!" to imply that someone has no sense of humor. Likewise, to have a "hurt brag bone" would mean that your pride has been wounded. (I personally didn't interpret Petrie as being sarcastic when he used the phrase, but that's just me.)

EDIT: You know, I could conceivably start a new section for figures of speech used by the dinosaurs in LBT, but I'm not sure if there are enough of them to bother doing so. :unsure:

Can anyone else think of similar idioms to the "brag bone" expression in LBT?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I have recently decided to change one of my OCs into a Paluxysaurus, which as some of you might know is a type of small Brachiosaurus, about 60 feet long with a 26 foot neck, and having high cheeks for its type of dinosaur... And is also one of the state dinosaurs of Texas; a fossil can be found at the Ft. Worth Museum of Science and History, which has recently been remodeled (This picture was from my beloved old version, when it was a much cooler to take a snap of it)

So, what would it be called? From the list of Brachiosaurus, I would say something like "Small Skyreacher Longneck" or "Small Tallneck" (sounds ironic XD ).

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, Brachiosaurus was 85 feet long, so Paluxysaurus isn't really that much smaller (by comparison, the real-life Amargasaurusóthe frill-necked sauropod seen briefly in LBT X and IXówas only 33 feet long!). Unfortunately, it’s not an especially distinctive sauropod, so coming up with a good LBT name for it is a challenge. If LBT X was anything to go by, the different longneck species don’t seem to differentiate themselves very much, so you could probably just describe your character as looking like a small (*insert LBT Brachiosaurus name of choice*). Of course, if he/she is not fully grown, then this might not help much. :unsure:

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
What about "land foot"? Mo said that as a part of the line "Mo no got land foot like Littlefoot. Mo got water foot!" With that said, wouldn't that term refer to a land walker?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm…you bring up an interesting point. My initial response would be to say that it’s sort of a redundant term, as the word “foot” in itself denotes the limb of a land animal used for walking, and is probably not a genuine LBT term. However, it seems likely to me that, given his limited Leafeater vocabulary, Mo invented the terms “land foot” and “water foot” himself to distinguish limbs or appendages used for walking and swimming respectively (not knowing what the Leafeater terms were), using “foot” because he didn’t know of a Leafeater word to describe a limb in general. So perhaps I will add it, with the annotation that it is probably a term Mo invented. Thanks, Blitz. :yes

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I was reading something in a fanfic about "Earthshaker Longnecks" and I didn't see it on the list up here. You know what those are? :huh: Because I haven't the slightest clue what species they were in the Sauropod family but they must be big. Think you could find them?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm guessing the term refers to Seismosaurus, an exceptionally large sauropod originally estimated to have been 150–170 feet long. Its name literally translates to “earthquake reptile”. A recent reevaluation of the Seismosaurus fossil material concluded that its size had been miscalculated; the revised estimate is 110 feet. Furthermore, the specimen is now widely considered to represent a large Diplodocus (the same species as Doc from LBT VI), so Seismosaurus is not really considered to be its own dinosaur anymore (much as Brontosaurus is now considered to be a species of Apatosaurus). Still, scientific accuracy has never been a major concern with LBT, :p and the term could apply to other large longneck species such as Supersaurus (Sue from LBT X).

By the way, can you please tell me what fanfiction you are talking about specifically? Just so I know what your source was. Thanks for your submission. :)

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thanks for clearing that one up. Wow you really know your dinosaurs. Your welcome!  :D

As for the fanfic I believe it was The Land Before Time XIII Sahala's Return. Where this longneck seperated from her parents was found and raised by a herd of, you guessed it, Earthshaker Longnecks.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Feb 11 2010 on  08:39 AM
It sure looked like a meteorite, but immediately after the fire started, Littlefoot implied that it had come from a smoking mountain. "fire rock" was previously used to refer to lava bombs in "Canyon of the Shiny Stones", while the term "flying rock" is reserved for meteorites. (I'd even go so far as to guess that if the rock was intended to be a meteorite, there was some miscommunication between the animators and the scriptwriters, and it was instead described as a lava bomb.) I'm hesitant to use both terms, for fear of making things confusing.

Sorry for popping in late, but couldn't it be that they use 'Fire Rock' for any flying rock that is also hot? That could both apply to the Meteorite (Flying Rock that is on FIRE) and the Lava-bombs (Fire Rocks that FLIES)...

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Don't worry, you're not "late"; this is meant to be a continually updated thread. I'm happy to see some new activity in it. :smile

You make a good point, although personally I'm not 100% convinced.

However, I remembered something else that I somehow forgot to bring up in that earlier discussion: in LBT XII, Littlefoot uses the term "fire rocks" to refer to the lava pits Guido is sleepwalking towards. I always thought that was awfully strange; I have a bit of a hard time believing that he's referring to the lava itself as "rocks"; although lava in real life often can look like a slow-motion avalanche of red-hot rocks, LBT lava is almost always in the molten state of typical Hollywood lava. There did seem to be rocks in the lava that were presumably red-hot, which Littlefoot may have been referring to, in which case "fire rock" may refer to any rock that is on fire, period. Maybe I'll add a new footnote to the glossary that mentions this possibility…

Thanks for your contribution! :D

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm not sure half tooth was ever used.  Personally, I'd use Bothtooth as it fits more with "omnivore".  

So far the only Bothteeth we've seen are Ruby and her family and the Domeheads.  (Unless the Rainbow Faces were Galllimimus, which I hope they aren't, as that would ruin a fanfic of mine.  Gallimimus is another example of Bothtooth.)

What type of dino is a Rainbow Face?  Wikipedia seems to be confused.  Gallimimus would be a type of Fast Runner, which the Rainbow Faces don't seem to be.