The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Asking LBT production crew members for information

Hypno · 358 · 47506

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm very happy to announce that I received an answer!  :wow Mark said he asked Goldman for details and without further introduction, let's get to the message.

I asked the one of the owners and producer Gary Goldman.
This is his reply.
- Mark

" Though it was approved at the storyboard stage. It was at a screening in April or May of 1988 just 6 months before completion of the film at a a 20th Century Fox theater in Soho Square, London, with just Don, John, me, Steven and his first wife and George in one of the small 30 seat theaters. The problem is that when it was edited, cutting 19 scenes out - including audio, by one of Steven’s favorite editors at Pinewood Studios in England, it was mainly the T-Rex shots (scenes to me) of full head shots with wide open mouths, attacking into the lens of the camera at the child dinosaurs as they took cover in the briars. However, it was less than a minute lost sections of the T-Rex attack and the kids. Steven and George both felt that those scenes would have triggered an audience of 4 and 5 year olds crying and having their mothers and fathers holding them in their arms in the lobby waiting for a safe time to take their kids back to their seats. Those cuts remained, the tiny short cuts were taped together and rolled and we took them back to Dublin. However, we never saved the prints or the negatives for those scenes, all were animated and cleaned up, many of which were in color.
 The additional 10+ minutes of cuts came after we finished the film. Steven and the same editor, who had been fast-tracked to get a green card, to move to Burbank and work with Spielberg there at Amblin on the Universal lot on other projects. Steven continued to edit the film to be sure it would not disturb parents or their children. I believe we delivered an 80 to 82 minute film including all credits. The final edited length was 69 minutes, the same as Bambi (1942).
Best,

Gary "

So, what do you think? There was some information about the production of the film, including a more detailed look into the timings of the cuts. I'm truly overjoyed that we received an answer but I would have wished for more details. Still, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the answer.  :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Argh, I was about to get myself some popcorn but I guess this is not popcorn-worthy after all  :unsure:

Still nice to see they responded at all..
Inactive, probably forever.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
O_o

So

O_O

So?

O_O_O_O_O_O

So what did was cut in these other 10 minutes? AND WHERE ARE THESE SCENES? WHERE ARE THAT SHARPTOTH CLIP? IS THERE STORIBOARDS????????????????????????????????????

*takes a pill*

I need to relax...

I told you we need to send a letter! We didn't lose anything!!! ^^

ok ok... let's see... let me think...

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Goodie! You should ask him if he has any other info on the Mama Longneck vs Sharptooth scene.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, I should probably send him another message to ask if he got any clarifications. I'll do it on this weekend. However, what really puzzled me is that why did he ask Gary? Surely he should have some first-hand knowledge himself?  :unsure:

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Looks good atleast we got a good enough answer to the question In my opinion

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ok What I thought:

we definitely can send another message, BUT it shouldn't look like we spam author. Maybe one-two days of waiting would be good. :)
Also: what should we ask? Since half of first letter's questions are unanswered, and respond from Mark contains reason for new questions. XD

Let's think.

Looks good at least we got a good enough answer to the question
absolutely not enough, since it is not full answer. :'(

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Jun 24 2017 on  06:49 AM
Ok What I thought:

we definitely can send another message, BUT it shouldn't look like we spam author. Maybe one-two days of waiting would be good. :)
Also: what should we ask? Since half of first letter's questions are unanswered, and respond from Mark contains reason for new questions. XD

Let's think.

Looks good at least we got a good enough answer to the question
absolutely not enough, since it is not full answer. :'(
Well, we did get some information about where and around the month where a lot of scenes were cut, that's something, to me at least. Useful information to add to the wiki.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah so that's better than nothing atleast he gave us information on those senses and why they're gone for good.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't take this "the scenes are lost" shit for granted. If it's true that they're lost, I, at least, want to know what they contained in detail so I can reconstruct the movie as a fanfiction at the very least  <_<
Inactive, probably forever.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jun 24 2017 on  09:19 AM
I don't take this "the scenes are lost" shit for granted. If it's true that they're lost, I, at least, want to know what they contained in detail so I can reconstruct the movie as a fanfiction at the very least  <_<
Neither do I  <_<

Like I've said many times, it seems we can't really trust that, since we've already seen what happened with ADGTH...

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I'm afraid that none of the people we can contact are able to help with getting the scenes. If they do exist at all, Spielberg or Universal are the best bets. Still, my hopes aren't too high. If Pudleiner won't answer to my next message (I'll do it tomorrow), I wonder if it would be helpful to search the Internet if we can find the other animators' or artists' contact information. LBT had quite a number of creators after all. There's a chance we'll find one more email address somewhere ;)

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What about Judy Freudberg and Tony Geiss? (that's their names, right?) They came up with the main characters for the film I believe.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I knew Mark could not know about some information. But anyway, this is what I would like to ask Mark:

1) What scenes do that 10 minutes contained?????????? And why they were removed?
(Because even if they are lost forever and there isn't any hope... We will know what happened in them!)

2) Was that 10 minutes packed and moved somewhere like Sharptooth's scenes? aka could they still exis?

3) (Maybe I didn't get it, but) Where did Mark get that storyboards, and is there others? Is there a chance we will see them in future?

4) Is there people from LBT stuff who can be contacted by us without harm? Can Mr. Pudleiner advice to us?

5) Why does creators didn't want and isn't wanting to publish cut material in some special edition? *angel rollseyes*

-----------------

Please, let us read your new letter before sending it, ok? :)
There's no hurry. We can politely wait for some time befoe sending our "spam" messages. XD

Edit: wait... Did he said 10 minutes were cut after film was FINISHED???????!!!!! O_o
In final editing stage? Not in storyboards development stage? O_o
Or I misunderstood?

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah I believe there were around 10 minutes of FULLY ANIMATED SCENES that were cut.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That's just the confirmation for the past evidence. The few shots in the trailers were fully animated and the scenes had to be completed if there is any truth in the Finnish claims. The only question is where is it?

Also, my 500th post!  :wow

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Unfortunately that seems to be things that we may have to do ourselves :(

But how?

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Not sure how we can find that out maybe it's lost forever

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Like I said multiple times before, I don't believe they are lost. They just HAVE to be still collecting dust in a vault somewhere...