The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Thats crazy!

raga · 8 · 1058

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I saw this list of coincidences between former president John F. Kennedy and former president Abraham Lincoln in a post on a website that does top ten lists.  It is one of the freakiest things I have ever seen.

as i was saying :: here is the e-mail a friend sent me regarding Lincoln (and Kennedy)

Have a history teacher explain thisó– if they can.

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.
Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.
Both Presidents were shot in the head.

Now it gets really weird.

Lincoln ’s secretary was named Kennedy.
Kennedy’s Secretary was named Lincoln.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.
Both! were succeeded by Southerners named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.
Both names are composed of fifteen letters.

Now hang on to your seat.

Lincoln was shot at the theater named ëFord.’
Kennedy was shot in a car called ë Lincoln’ made by ëFord.’

Lincoln w as shot in a theater and his assassin ran and hid in a warehouse.
Kennedy was shot from a warehouse and his assassin ran and hid in a theater.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

And here’s the kicker…

A week before Lincoln was shot, he was in Monroe, Maryland
A week before Kennedy was shot, he was with Marilyn Monroe.

Creepy huh?
creepy indeed

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Coincidence, luck, or have we entered the Twilight Zone? :p

I've heard that before...and don't have much to say except its a creepy coincidence.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Jul 15 2009 on  08:07 PM
Coincidence, luck, or have we entered the Twilight Zone? :p
We are now in the Twilight Zone. Sorry, but coincidence and luck don't exist in the Twilight Zone. Just weird things. :lol

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
If this thread came with the Twilight Zone theme song, then it would've been perfect.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's pretty creepy if ya ask me :blink:.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
a series of unfortunate Events..and coincidences..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well I think that's kind of cool (Not that our Presidents were killed, like the coincidences).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I've read those too, but really, history is so full of coincidences that we would get rather fidgety if we considered every one of them creepy.
In case of some of the coincidences they are not 100% accurate the way they appear here.

Lincoln was shot in a theater and his assassin ran and hid in a warehouse.
Kennedy was shot from a warehouse and his assassin ran and hid in a theater.
One could put it like that depending on definition, but in Booth's case the place of the assassination actually was a theater while the place where Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested was a cinema (somehow a logical choice to hide in a dark and crowded room, isn't it?). The place where Booth was finally found was a tobacco barn. One could call it a warehouse technically, but there is not much of a similarity between a tobacco barn and the schoolbook depository that played a role in the Kennedy assassination. Also the text makes it sounds like both places played a role right after the assassination, but neither did Oswald run and hide in the cinema right away (in fact a policeman was to be killed by Oswald near his own home before he was finally arrested in the cinema later that same day). In case of Booth he had been on the run for 12 days before he was caught and visited many places before ending up in that tobacco barn.
Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.
Depends on how you define "assassinated". I guess the case of Oswald would qualify for the term, but Booth was just shot and mortally wounded while resisting arrest which I think is something that doesn't usually run under the label "assassination".

Anyway, if you like this kind of story, did you hear about the "curse of Tippecanoe"? The name refers to the defeat of the Shawnee Indians in the battle of Tippecanoe (1812) where they were defeated by later president William Henry Harrison. Harrison was elected in 1840 to serve the shortest ever presidency in 1841 (rather than an Indian curse though I guess the shortest ever presidency was the somewhat logical consequence of his holding the longest ever inauguration speech in pouring rain refusing to hold it indoors or even put on a mantle. Thus the "hero of Tippecanoe" died from Pneumonia because he was to proud to take any protection against ugly weather). Anyway, ever since presidents who were elected in 20 years intervals from 1840 developed the habit of not leaving office alive. In 1860 Lincoln was elected to be assassinated after his second election, in 1880 Garfield was elected and he was assassinated too, the same goes for McKinnley who was elected in 1900, and Warren G. Harding of 1920 died from a stroke or heart attack (while there are conspiracy theories about poisoning), Franklin D. Roosevelt who had been elected for the third time in 1940 and was to be elected a fourth time in 1944 died of Cerebral hemorrhage, JFK elected in 1960 was assassinated. Ronald Reagan, elected in 1980 was the first to break with that tradition, though it was a close call as he was seriously injured in an assassination attempt. In case of Georg W. Bush elected in 2000 I think the worst scratch he got in office was caused by a Pretzel. Looks like the "curse of Tippecanoe" is wearing off, so those of you who are born in the US should be safe if you want to run for presidency in 2020. :lol