The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Sixth Movie

fanciful_flyer

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://https://reia73.wordpress.com/
For the sake of starting a discussion, and also because I'm curious, having noticed a few things I never did before:

Maybe I'm not being observant or something, but where exactly were the entrances/exits to and from the Great Valley in the 6th movie? In the other movies it seems like we get a clearer idea of how the Gang enter into the Mysterious Beyond, whether by accident or on purpose.

2nd movie: The gang accidentally break open the rock wall, which becomes and entrance to and from the Mysterious Beyond.
3rd movie: I actually haven't seen this one in a long time, but as I recall, the Gang lead the adults to the Mysterious Beyond where the water got trapped. (I don't think it showed how they got there.)
4th movie: Another one I haven't seen in a while, but I don't think they ever actually said anything about the Mysterious Beyond in that one. We know that Littlefoot goes to the Land of Mists, which also makes me wonder if they consider anything beyond the Great Valley the Mysterious Beyond, or if the Mysterious Beyond is considered a certain section of the dinosaur world (I highly doubt this, and think it more likely that they consider anything beyond their home as the MB.)
5th movie: Again, leaving through some unseen exit.
Alright, maybe not all of these are clear, but it makes me wonder.

The entrance and exit into the Great Valley in the 6th movie wasn't clearly defined, and I guess it could just be that they didn't show it - same as they didn't in 3 or 4.
But they encountered sharpteeth near Saurus Rock.
Maybe the Great Valley has hidden exits/entryways, or maybe it's a simple matter of climbing over a large wall - one that tends to block sharpteeth from entering the valley. Grandpa Longneck and the Gang seemed to do a lot of climbing over rock walls when they sought out Littlefoot in the 6th movie. But I couldn't help but wonder.

Am I over-analyzing? Probably. XD But I love analyzing small things.

Also, does Doc only save longnecks?
Offhand, that might be a stupid question, seeing as how he technically helped save not just Littlefoot but Grandpa Longneck and the other members of the Gang toward the end of the movie.
But in the flashbacks he's only around other longnecks and saves those longnecks, and also only ever seems to save Littlefoot from a few dangers. (Yeah I know they did it on purpose so as to make Doc shine all the more in Littlefoot's eyes - but let's ignore that for just a moment. XD )
Personally, I'm sure he would save any dinosaur who was in need (leaf-eating dinosaur, specifically.) But I'm interested to hear all your thoughts on this. ^^;

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
They are very inconsistent about the Great Valley in general :p My only explanation would be that Saurus Rock is located in an area close to the Great Valley that's however not protected by the walls (which Grandpa and Littlefoot's friends had climbed when they went after Littlefoot I asume).
Inactive, probably forever.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
There seems to be many paths into Mysterious Beyond. The Gang of Five are able to more easily find passages out of the Great Valley, while it seems the larger entrances and exits for adult herds is either guarded (there's a whole movie, those who guard the enterance like Anklyosauria, Stegosauria, and etc).

As for Lone Dinosaur, when it shows Doc fighting the Sharptooth in early part of the film, he helps Longnecks and I believe Spike tails. It has been a while, but I remember a Spike Tail and Duck billed dinosaur.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Continuing along with my LBT marathon, yesterday evening I watched The Secret of Saurus Rock. This is another one I had seen as a kid, which up to this point leaves the fourth film as the only one I'd never seen before. Although, as with the other films, there were only small snippets I remembered here. In fact, the only part I could (fairly) vividly recall was the scene near the end when Littlefoot says goodbye to Doc and Doc tells him, "You already have a hero." Littlefoot turns to look at his grandfather, then turns back and is sad to see Doc leaving. The character of Doc in himself was somewhat familiar, sort of like the bullies from the third film, but that was the only other thing I could remember.

Anyway, while there were some entertaining scenes and good character moments, the central plot wasn't as compelling as the previous films. The other films all had strong plot hooks, but this one felt a bit more average to me.

Of course, hearing James Horner's music is always a delight, although the score by Michael Tavera is really good too. The music was a lot more epic than the film itself. :p (Thanks to Ducky123 for showing me this playlist of LBT sequel music.)

I've seen some criticism regarding the western theme, but I actually thought that was one of the film's better aspects. It helped give this one a unique flavour in a long-running series. If anything, I wish they'd gone a little further with the western vibe. I also like that it was left ambiguous whether there actually was some sort of bad luck curse surrounding Saurus Rock, or whether it was merely a series of coincidences.

I'll probably give this the same 6.5/10 rating that I gave the second film. But where in the second film, it was because there was a strong mixture of things I liked versus things I didn't like, and thus it was quite polarizing for me. By contrast, I was much more "eh" about this one; it didn't evoke a strong response from me in either direction.

Also, I noticed that the production quality seemed to be lower on this film than the others. It had a slightly blurry and grainy look to it. Was it because of a poor DVD remaster, perhaps? Or was the film always like this?
:olittlefoot

Update - Explanation from Hypno: "I believe the reason why The Secret of Saurus Rock looks so bad on DVD is because it's the VHS version but just upscaled... which is lazy. Older DVD releases of movies 2 to 5 (I believe) were just upscales of the VHS versions. But when they were properly assembled into proper DVD quality form in later DVD releases, they looked better. The Secret of Saurus Rock hasn't been updated still, which is really annoying."
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:09:35 PM by StardustSoldier »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
(merged this into my review above)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:10:00 PM by StardustSoldier »