The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Kung Fu Panda Redux

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Alrighty, since the last attempt at an RP like this tanked, I figure now would be as good a time as any to revive the Awesomeness of the Kung Fu Panda Roleplay.  Anyone interested?

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I am! For sure! Absolutely! One of my favorite franchises! I think I'll call Master Viper and (my personal favorite character and one of my favorite characters of all time) Lord Shen.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've not seen the movie, but there are some tv series episodes up on youtube.  I may download a few and watch the episodes.  

Are the characters usually FC only?  or a mix of fc and oc?

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd say a mix of OC's and FC's.  Gets a good mix of familiarity and new, creative faces in there!

And yeah, really, since I plan on having an original...ish... plotline, tons of knowledge of the series isn't a huge thing.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i'm in. i call po and tigeress.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: StarfallRaptor,Oct 22 2013 on  04:25 PM
And yeah, really, since I plan on having an original...ish... plotline, tons of knowledge of the series isn't a huge thing.
Cool! What's the basic gist of the plot?

(runner up)
(runner up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've seen the trailer months or longer ago.  Think I'll download a few tv episodes to get a better feel and try to come up with a character.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, the basic plot I have laid out right now is that somehow, portals have begun popping up, and while they have begun to bring a new peace and prosperity to China, there has been some form of darkness encroaching, a darkness that was first detected by the villains of the series...

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sounds awesome!

(runner up)
(runner up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not sure how many episodes I should watch or any suggested ones.  

Looks like from the 2 I saw the characters are all kung fu masters, except for Po, and magic is always evil.

& a character based on a japanese myth would not fit since it's not chinese, which makes sense.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^  
Kung Fu mastery is definitely common, but I would say other Martial arts are allowed as well, plus non-fighters or improvised styles.  

Magic isn't inherently evil so much as it is likely to cause innate corruption, as it often becomes a shortcut to something that normally takes hard work and dedication.  

And a Japanese-themed character will fit fine!  I'm working on the somewhat assumption that by this point, things have begun expanding, and Japan is known and some travelers come occasionally.  Not by any means common, but totally good!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have the start of a character idea, a bit vague & disjointed perhaps.  

Maybe based on a Tengu, avian swordmaster types.  Or maybe some other species, nt sure on species yet.  Maybe travels around, in rags, clean but rags, used a staff or a sword disquised a staff that can be used like a staff or pulled apart & as a sword, knows some magic, minor stuff maybe.  Can speed up healing while meditating.  Maybe meditates instead of sleeping, in a type of light trance maybe, meditates instead of eating, and or doesn't need water or needs to drink more water.   Maybe a spell to clean himself.

? maybe travels till the "gods" tell him he can stop, or till he feels he can.  ? martial arts mystic type? likely knows unarmed also I'd guess. ? Maybe a chameleon instead of an avian?

Just a scattering of ideas.  Likely some would have to be discarded or altered.  It's pre first draft stuff.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks.  Any preference for species or specifics?  

Seen  a few episodes.  Looks like magic is very rare and always evil, from the 1 only episode magic appeared in at all.  & no mystic types.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm... I don't really figure limits are needed, unless someone tries to godmod or something.  

And I suppose that, for the sake of this RP, I'll create a distinction between Magic and Mysticism.  

Magic is formed by some sort of deal with an entity of power.  Dragon, Demon, etc.  This fact makes it inherently corrupting, though it is speculated that a powerful good soul could, in theory, bend the entity to their angle and use the power for good.  Magic spells tend to be flashy, destructive, and fairly simple to cast.  

Mysticism is a form of "Super-Natural" ability.  Manipulation of Chi, Dim Mak pressure point strikes, and Ninjutsu techniques all fall into this category.  In theory, any living being can access this power, however, it takes training, determination, and focus to do so.  Techniques formed by this style tend to be much more varied, able to heal, stun, or any number of other effects, but either require time to manifest or precise strikes.

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'll do Crane, since I'm a lot like him.  :smile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess some of his stuff could be mysticism, if I put any of it in, no need to sleep (maybe meditates instead), eat, sped up healing while meditating, maybe some suposid martial arts abilities like standing on water, and other things that shouldn't be able to hold your weight, levitating, and other things like that.  No idea of his age since I got the idea it's a family tradition once you're an adult you don't bother keeping count anymore.  Living longer is a thing some martial arts masters were supposed to able to do.  & some mystics.  

some stuff magic like cleaning himself

not sure of species, either an avian species or a chameleon.  Also some maybe is to odd, dressing in rags, though always clean.  Also the sword that looks like a staff may not fit since it seems in the episodes folks don't use weapons.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sounds good so far!  And at this point, weaponry would be justified, owing to the gravity of the situation.  When you have demonic entities starting to show up, you use whatever you have to.

And welcome aboard, Blitz!!