The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

This is interesting

Guest · 17 · 2342

Bruton the Iguanodon

From TV Tropes:

The Land Before Time: Both Littlefoot and Cera's mothers are dead, though Cera gets a stepmother several movies later (and a little stepsister).

Isn' t there a "Refrain from assuming" section on this site? If so shouldn't they know better then to say Cera's mom is dead as well?!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Chances are that the characters do believe Cera's mom is dead. Why else would Topsy be so eager to start a new life with Tria? If he was so certain that his original mate was alive, why would he not think twice about getting together with his old friend?

Bruton the Iguanodon

If she did die, though, why did no one ever make a big deal out of it? :huh:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
They just never bothered adding it to the movies. Maybe they did make a big deal of it, but we never see it because the producers were probably thinking "It'll be too scary for the kids". Or they just dropped her completely, thinking that no one (or rather the kids) would question it.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That we may never know.  Also, they messed up on Tricia.  She's Cera's sister, not stepsister, because they share the same father.  I refuse to use the term "half" in the same sentence as brother or sister.  In my opinion, as long as they share at least one parent, they are sisters.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Half sisters is the proper term, but yeah.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Dec 31 2011 on  11:25 PM
That we may never know.  Also, they messed up on Tricia.  She's Cera's sister, not stepsister, because they share the same father.  I refuse to use the term "half" in the same sentence as brother or sister.  In my opinion, as long as they share at least one parent, they are sisters.
I still think Tricia is her stepsister, not sister. To me, a stepsister or stepbrother shares the same one parent, whether it is mother or father. Tricia is a stepsister because she shares the same father as Cera, but not the same mother.

Or perhaps halfsister would be the correct term.

While yes you could say she's just her sister, but if you wanted to get technical with regards to biology, you'd have to be more specific and indicate they share only one parent, hence terms like halfsibling.

Dr. Curzon

• Spike
    • View Profile
When was Tricia called Cera's stepsister? I don't remember that. I always thought they called her... Well... Tricia.

Tikikata

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.strawberrytiki.net
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Dec 31 2011 on  08:28 PM
Chances are that the characters do believe Cera's mom is dead. Why else would Topsy be so eager to start a new life with Tria? If he was so certain that his original mate was alive, why would he not think twice about getting together with his old friend?
I agree with this. I don't think they would let Topps "cheat" on his mate if she was still alive. Since it was never explained, the only thing we can do is assume that Cera's mother is dead since we don't really see her real mother in any of the sequels (though, with that logic, we never actually see Ducky's father that much either). I guess it was a detail that the sequels wanted to leave out.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
She died very early on in the first movie. So that the reason they introduce us to the Pink Three Horn later on in the movies. And I didn't like her very much for some reason. I don't know why.

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
No one has a piece of evidence to support their claims.  What happened to Cera's mother was not told or found in the books or movies.  However, having the various ideas of what MIGHT have happened can be thought out.  

I feel that she has never returned and died in the process of searching.  She probably could not find it, and looked all over, but because of lack of food and water, she passed away.  This isn't necessarily true, since it is still what I think.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I think if you look real closely u can see her at the end of 1

And in 5 theres a 3horn that looks just like Topps who appears in some shots

Bruton the Iguanodon

Okay, I just noticed wikipedia's summary now contains the line, "Cera reunites with her father (but not her mother and sisters, who appear to have died en route)". (Here's the link to prove it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Land_Before_Time)

I think that's really sad not just cause Cera lost most of her family but that it also really taints an otherwise overly happy ending (one of Bluth's favorite tropes).  ;)

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, so take anything on there with a grain of salt. Somebody probably just put that there because that's their opinion.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 10 2012 on  08:53 PM
Okay, I just noticed wikipedia's summary now contains the line, "Cera reunites with her father (but not her mother and sisters, who appear to have died en route)". (Here's the link to prove it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Land_Before_Time)

I think that's really sad not just cause Cera lost most of her family but that it also really taints an otherwise overly happy ending (one of Bluth's favorite tropes).  ;)
keyword appear, someone just put his speculation there.

Blaze

• Ruby
    • View Profile
It's an interesting point but an odd one to figure out, when the earthquake breaks up all the herds at the end of this scene Cera's father calls to her and Cera shouts "mama, Daddy!" and the narrator says "Cera was on one side of the divide, her parents were on the other."
so we know at this point we know they're both alive, later Cera says "when i find my sisters i won't BE alone" so she's sure that her sisters are alive.
Now right at the end when everyone is reunited we see Cera run to her father but if you watch carefully as the camera begins to pan towards Littlefoot, you can see all the dinosaurs and just off center of the shot there are two adult Triceratops and one young one. i never noticed until this topic came up but every time i've ever seen this bit i just assumed it was Cera and her parents.

I would also ask this, what happens to Ducky's Dad?     :confused

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Ducky's Dad apparently disappeared for lack of role he played in the story and lack of interest on the part of the animators to continue animating him. He definitely reached the Great Valley (being clearly shown in LBT 2) but never got a talking role. I believe he was last shown at the end of LBT 5, but in LBT 7 (or LBT 8 at the very latest) his absence could no longer be explained by him just happening to be somewhere else. If we wanted an "LBT coherent" explanation for his disappearance we would have to go with his dying, but with Ducky never saying anything or showing any sign of emotion about her dad (who never got to say a word) such explanations are very likely to end up with no satisfactory result (especially with all the focus given to "Family" by Ducky in LBT 8). So perhaps we just need to settle for the "non-LBT coherent" matter of fact explanation that the animators didn't want to bother with a role that never got to do or say anything anymore.