The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Do you outline, script, or rough draft your work?

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
As I create this post during my free time, I'm going to ask you all this question; do you outline, script, or rough draft your work?  I've always been told if you are going to start a project, create a mock-up, script, and or rough draft. It's always best that you have a clear idea of what you are going to make rather than just make things from the top of your head. I've taken this to consideration because I want to make a good story rather than rely on pretty pictures.

I'll admit, when I was younger, I never scripted my comics as I just kept going with the flow of whatever came up in my imagination. Now that I look back into those comics, I realize how muddled some of the dialog and the story were. Most of these comics I'm referring to are Tinker & Pinker. It contained nice character models, but everything else could've been so much better. Then again, you do learn from experience and from your previous accomplishments.  

Whenever I nedd to get something done, I just make whatever I can.
So, what do you all do?    

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When writing a letter or a paper I usually do make a draft... Then I work on other things for a while and return to it several hours later. Looking back at it with an empty mind I can usually find several silly errors I should not have made in the first place and can rephrase several sentences too.

As for sculptures, I just make those on the go. I might not like what I see, and will try to make that part again, but it doesn't happen often.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Is this only regarding work with dialogue (stories, comics) or does this include drawings themselves?

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Is this only regarding work with dialogue (stories, comics) or does this include drawings themselves?

For me, I was refering to making scripts for my comics. And making rough drafts, and mock-ups for other things.

This topic is regarding about making rough drafts, outlining a project, scripting something, and why.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't actually write down outlines for my stories. I can retain plot line ideas in my head just fine and have yet to ever not be able to recall one. Outlining pretty much just takes the form of me envisioning what will happen next in the story. (Daydreaming if you will.)

Notes on characters and the world background are what I need to write out, both for easy reference and because those are the things I do forget.

I used to write by the seat of my pants, sometimes with nary a clue of what will happen next, but I've since abandoned that method and have been scripting things a lot more lately. This however has resulted in my writing being crippled during the planning stage and I haven't gotten much literary work done lately.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I usually start with an idea, do some rough notes, a rough outline then 1st draft.  Then other drafts if needed.

Ghostfishe

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I generally do a lot of outlining first, then refine it and add details later. I tend to get inspiration in spurts (which are often few and far between), so I have to write my ideas down while I have them or I'll just forget them.  ;)  I've also found that it's made it a lot easier to spot plotholes than it was when I wrote more spontaneously.

I tend to be a worldbuilding addict though, so at some point I usually have to force myself to stop planning and just write, or else I'll never get around to it. I even have some constructed worlds where I've completely forgotten the plot behind them.  :rolleyes: