The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Big Gang of Five Meeting?

Mumbling · 129 · 23148

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
But since I own an account that permits up to ten users at once, it wouldn't be an issue, and I could host the other calls as well. If we could get two to three meeting sites in America/Europe, all we'd really need is just someone with a paid account, and that person could host multiple videos. I'd be more than happy to volunteer.

Though that's also why it's a good idea to find out who has what equipment. I have a high def TV that could be used, plus a webcam. This is all very early in terms of setting things up anyway. As said, I'm not even going to start making plans for at least another few weeks, until I get the results of my FSOT.

And yes, Mumbling's right, you really don't need that much in terms of setting this up, especially if you have two gathering sites, as she said. Plus, even if you can't get a high def TV, many places you can rent for a group rate will already HAVE teleconferencing equipment like this, so I don't really see this as an issue.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: Mumbling,Jun 21 2011 on  12:36 PM
@Coyote, there are quite some members from Moscow. If they would all travel together it might be doable to come to Europe :)
What? More Russian members signed up while i was absent? Gotta PM them all. :lol:

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^The only other Russian (from Russia) is Jychara, and he has the same name as you. But he's not been on for a while.  P.S. Ya ne russkij, no yazik horosho ponimayu. :)

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Quote from: Mumbling,Jun 21 2011 on  01:22 PM
Well, if you have 2 locations than honestly do you need more webcams?
Well, you have to think about the scale of things. If I was to separate the webcam idea into areas, assuming that there is at least 1 member who would join the meetup on each continent, we would need at the VERY least 7 webcams.

In fact, even if we are to make the less politically correct but probably more true assumption that most members are based in America, Europe or Britain, then we would still need alot of webcams to cover such an area. After all, when I say America, I include Canada and Mexico and Alaska, and pretty much everything on that continent that isn't Latin-America, and when I say Europe, that includes the Mediterranean, Scandinavia, Russia and Eastern Europe.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Because we have many members from the north and south pole :p No technically, we only have members in Europe, Asia and North America... Maybe we have some Aussies as well.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I already suggested a possible solution to this, Allicloud. As most of the members are concentrated in America and Europe, we conduct a poll (one for Europe, one for America), and figure out at most three locations in America, and probably two in Europe, if not three, where we would select as "gathering sites" based on demographics. If you can make it, fine, (though I'd think with that amount it shouldn't be much of an issue), and yes, there will be SOME people who can't, either due to monetary or placement issues, but by and large, I think between five to six meeting sites spread out on either continent is doable. It'd be based on what's most convenient for the majority, and where everyone is spread out. Even just two (one in the US, though I think there should be at least one other) meeting sites are feasible for something like this, if people feel like starting off smaller to see how it works. Sort of like giving the initial year a "test run", and we can always expand it if it is successful, or revise it if it's not.

And don't get me wrong, this is just one suggestion I've given. My ideas aren't set in stone. :p As said, I'm not going to be doing ANYTHING towards even starting to consider arranging a meeting until I get my exam results. It's just too far in advance for me at the moment, and I'm merely suggesting things to see how they go.

Once the groups settle on places they'll be staying, a lot of places that have group rates include teleconferencing equipment as part of the package deal, so that should solve the lack of webcams or other equipment if we run into those issues.

And there is one Aussie that just joined us recently, Mumbling. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
As a matter of fact I think the number of members from Australia, New Zealand and the south east Asian region is quite significant.
As for myself I would really like to be part of such a meeting if time and money permit. I hope to come to the US one of these years but I do not have the monetary means. Speaking of money, if the meeting is not to take place on the private premisses of a GOF member rent, food (that one is not depending on whether or not a GOF member had the room to host such an event) etc. are something that should be as reasonably shared as possible among the participants.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well if we do have a number from the Oceania and western Pacific region, we would need to include them as well, as I'm not comfortable with an entire region getting left out of something like this. I think a lot of it will be based on availability at the time this goes forward. Who can (and is willing) to participate.

And yes, dividing up the costs should be equal among participants, to once again help lessen financial load.

You know, Malte, if you ever wanted to see the US capital region, including Antietam (and I guess Gettysburg, for that matter), I'd be more than happy to put you up! :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jun 21 2011 on  09:45 PM
As a matter of fact I think the number of members from Australia, New Zealand and the south east Asian region is quite significant.
As for myself I would really like to be part of such a meeting if time and money permit. I hope to come to the US one of these years but I do not have the monetary means. Speaking of money, if the meeting is not to take place on the private premisses of a GOF member rent, food (that one is not depending on whether or not a GOF member had the room to host such an event) etc. are something that should be as reasonably shared as possible among the participants.
Yes, the costs of everything will be shared.

Crasnex

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pterano,Jun 21 2011 on  01:57 PM
And there is one Aussie that just joined us recently, Mumbling. :)
Glad to be a sore thumb :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I seriously doubt that i would be able to go unfortunately.  As cool as this sounds, a trip to Europe would cost too much, as mentioned before.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
I would love to!
Im in NH so I dunno how far I would have to go and such. But it would be quite fun.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
A meeting would be awesome, but honestly it would be kind of boring if we didn't go somewhere and do something.  First we'll need accommodations.  I recommend The Setai located in Miami Beach Florida.  A 2 bedroom Grand Suite runs $8,000 for 4 nights.  F***ing awesome hotel, let me tell you.  The Penthouse would be the best, but it bumps the price up to $30,000 which isn't very realistic for most people.  Even if we got 20 people together, it would still cost more than a grand apiece and that's just obviously not going to work.  As for things to do, it's Florida people.  I'm sure we'll be able to find something.  If nothing else, we can have a beach day one of the days so bring your swim suits!  Of course if we're doing something this extravagant we're going to need a decent number of people.  Otherwise it will just be too expensive.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow Austin, your prices are waay up there. I'm glad Europe has less expensive places to go :p

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: jansenov,Jun 21 2011 on  10:37 PM
^The only other Russian (from Russia) is Jychara, and he has the same name as you. But he's not been on for a while.  P.S. Ya ne russkij, no yazik horosho ponimayu. :)
Ah, so there are none new members from Russia. Alas. :(
P.S. œ?Ë‚ÂÚ ·?‡Ú¸?Ï Ò”‡‚?“‡Ï ËÁ ?Ê“ÓÈ ?‚?ÓÔ?! :wave
(Privet bratiam slavyanam iz Ujnoi Evropi!)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Quote from: Mumbling,Jun 22 2011 on  12:23 AM
Wow Austin, your prices are waay up there. I'm glad Europe has less expensive places to go :p
Well the Satai is one of the best luxury hotels in the US so it would make sense that it would be expensive.  With hotels I've found that you either get a pile of crap like a Motel 6 or an extravagant luxury hotel like the Satai.  There are some things that are in between, but they're still not nice.  And hell, if you're sharing the room with a bunch of people it's gotta be nice.  I think Florida is a great place for a GOF meeting and the fact that it's got a great luxury hotel makes it even better.

If you take $8,000 and divide it by 20 people then it's only $400 for 4 nights or $100/night.  A cheap crappy hotel in Florida is more than that and when I say crappy I mean CRAPPY!  As for beds, you can get foam mats for like $25 from craft stores and many other places.  They work surprisingly well.  When I had to wait a week for my bed to be delivered, I used one of those.  It was about a billion times better than a sleeping bag.  Also, the Grand Suite includes a 60" plasma TV so we can watch as much LBT as we want. :lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah.. I wasn't thinking in the direction of a hotel at all though, those are way too expensive anyway :p

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, we're not some kind of scientific council. Let's keep it friendly and unofficial. :)

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I have to admit, part of me would love to do this, but I feel that if I were to be seen in person, it might be disappointing due to the fact I'm really happy not doing anything and just hanging out. xD Plus I might know you guys, but I would still be a bit off to the side, it's a very different relam of social activity.

My home is big enough for something like this, in fact, I had day and night dreams of us together in my home because it's so big. I imagine the problem would be the prices to come to good ole Cali. (Or rather my parents' home, techiquely my home is a little apartment downstairs. It's a bit of a long story.)

But other then that, I'm all for this, I just want to settle myself a bit more. :p

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Funny how all of you are talking about spending more than a week together like it's no big deal, when realistically, I don't really think I could do something like that. Maybe I'm just more of a wimp than everyone else (for lack of a better term), but I've tried in the past staying multiple nights away from my family, and well, it did not work out so well. I really couldn't stand it.

but I feel that if I were to be seen in person, it might be disappointing due to the fact I'm really happy not doing anything and just hanging out.
I know exactly what you mean. My friends don't really understand it. Sometimes the most fun thing to do is not much at all :p