The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Red Dead Redemptin 2 is an absolute masterpiece

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nobody has talked about this game on here so I thought I'd start a topic for it.  I got Red Dead Redemption 2 back around Christmas and I still haven't put it down.  The followup to Rockstar's western epic is truly something special to behold. 

First, the nonspoiler stuff.
The open world is by far the best I've ever seen and I'm continually amazed by the detail and realism Rockstar put into it.  Many sandbox games promise a living, breathing world but this is the first time I've seen one truly deliver.

1. The animal behavior is amazingly realistic.  One of my chief complaints about the first game was that animals didn't behave realistically.  Bears, wolves, and cougars were always hostile no matter what and they were far too common.  This

This time around, bears, wolves, and cougars are far less common, which makes enjoying the wilderness a little easier.  When they do appear, they only attack if you get close to them and will otherwise ignore you.  I once found a bear eating a dead deer and instead of attacking me, the bear stood up on his back legs and roared at me until I backed away.  THen he went back to eating the deer.

I was fishing by a lake and there was a bald eagle sitting on a rock.  He sat there for several minutes before suddenly diving toward the water and catching a fish.  Here are some other spectacular examples of animal behavior in this game.
The aforementioned eagle catching a fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQleMOK0mU4

Grizzly bear vs wolves.  Somewhat ruined by the fact that the idiot filming decided to attack the bear for no reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irqi3wsdEUE

2. The open world is so diverse and beautiful, ranging from snowy mountains to dry deserts and lush forests.  I'd have to say West Elizabeth and Ambarino are the prettiest states in the game.  The map is about three times the size of the map from the first game.

3. The gameplay mechanics.  You have to eat and sleep to maintain your cores, hunting and gathering plants have been vastly expanded, outfits can now be crafted and customized to some extent, horse interactions have been expanded, etc.  It would be hard to go back and play the first game again after getting used to all the new features in Red Dead Redemption 2.

Now for the spoiler stuff:  You've been warned.

1. The story and characters are incredible.  With more than 60 hours worth of story missions and another 40 hours worth of side activities, this is b far the longest game I've ever played.  I've been playing this game since Christmas and I'm still finding unique character interactions in camp.  If you rush through the story as fast as possible, you miss out on so much good stuff. 

Dutch van der Lind is the best antagonist Rockstar has ever created and his descent into madness is heartbreaking, but very well done. 

Micah Bell is by bar the most vile and unlikable video game character I've ever encounter.  Where do I even begin with this guy?  He's a racist jerk right from the start, sexually harasses the women in camp, bullies everyone including 4-year-old Jack Marston, an early mission involves him shooting up an entire town, forcing Arthur to go along with it and leading to Arthur getting a $300 bounty and taking nearly every penny the player has earned up until this point to pay off, the fact hat he ultimately betrayed the gang, his endless mocking Arthur's tuberculosis... the list goes on.  Oh, and he killed Jack's dog and taunted Jack about it.  Can't forget that.  I wanted to kill him the moment he first appeared on screen.  I didn't feel any satisfaction about killing Ross in the first game, but Micah?  It really felt good to finally get to shoot him full of holes.     

Arthur Morgan is the best game protagonist I've ever seen.  His character development over the course of the story is unrivaled.  That's all I'm gonna say.

It's nice to see John Marston again.  takes a while for him to evolve into the character we knew from the first game though but his development is handled well. 

4. This one has some massive spoilers!   
Arthur Morgan's story isn't just amazingly written, it's a tearjerker guaranteed to make you cry.  There are a LOT of tearjerker-worthy moments but highlights include Arthur's conversation with the nun toward the end where he tells her he's dying and he's afraid, Arthur talking to Rains Fall about his family being murdered, and the entire mission "Red Dead Redemption", the final mission of Arthur's story.  The entire mission is basically 30 minutes of the game relentlessly punching you in the feels again and again.  Arthur's goodbye to Tilly and giving her all his money, his goodbyes to Abigail, Sadie, and Jack, his last ride back to camp while "That's the Way It Is" plays in the background, reflecting on the life he's lead, Arthur whispering "thank you" to his dying horse, his goodbye to John and staying behind to cover John's escape, and finally, Arthur passes away at peace with himself.  An incredibly emotional sendoff to the most amazing, complex, and well-written video game character ever.  I literally had to stop playing for a bit after that.   

5. The side missions are really good.  Especially the ones in Chapter 6.  They may be optional, but you miss out on a lot if you don't play them as Arthur. 

It took 8 years to get this epic masterpiece, but it was worth the wait.  That's about all I'm gonna say for now.  Anyone else played this masterpiece? 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:16:52 PM by F-14 Ace »

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I haven't played it myself, but I have watched my buddies play and they've said only good things about this game. I'm not much of a gamer anymore.  :p This game definitely looks interesting and from what I've heard it is indeed a very addicting game. Who knows, I might pick up gaming again some day. I do like open world games, so this seems like a good choice to play in the future.  :)

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I was literally in tears by the time I got to the end credits.  This game, along with Marvel's Spiderman and Ace Combat 7 are proof that story-driven single player games aren't dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAdZPnxINQw

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
I got the game as a birthday gift the day after it was released. It's a pretty incredible game, the story is amazing.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Old topic but I thought I'd add this for anyone interested.  It seems that Rockstar has added a couple new features to single player.  I'm not sure when they did this because it's been a while since I last played, but...

1. You can now fast travel from your wilderness campfire.  This was a feature from the first game that many people were disappointed wasn't carried over and Rockstar has at last corrected this.  Also, the fast travel menu now includes Beecher's Hope and Colter.  Colter is especially welcome because getting into Grizzlies West is a royal pain in the backside. 

2. The Evans repeater has been added to the game and can be bought from any gunsmith.  I thought this gun was exclusive to the PC version but it seems Rockstar decided to add it to the console version as well.  No complaints here. 

EDIT
3. The LeMat revolver and the m1899 simi-automatic pistol have also been added to the game and can be bought from the gunsmith in Saint Denis.  Unlike the first game, the LeMat can now fire a shotgun shell just like the real gun could, though it still seems to use regular pistol ammo while the real gun was a black powder gun. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 06:32:50 PM by F-14 Ace »