The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Journey of the Brave (LBT 14)

Mumbling · 763 · 111138

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Nick22, that would be great, but I doubt a TV series will ever happen.

I would like to own a DVD copy, I guess I'll just end up buying it from the UK.

At this point I'm not sure I'd rather see a new sequel or a reboot of the whole franchise.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
To Snik's review, I too have had up and down relationship with Spike. I did particularly like that he discovered something useful for eluding the Feathered Sharpteeth, but I did not particularly like his story arch in The Big Freeze. Spike is best in a supporting character role, not the focus of one of the two or three story archs of any LBT film.

I also concur with Snik that there is more to like than dislike about Journey of the Brave. I might even be in minority of thinking it is one of better sequels, especially when compared with the last three films.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
whoa. Thank you for reading it, Gentle Sharptooth.

huh, one of biggest problems that Spike IS forever supporting background character without his own will, feelings, actions, personality. For me, he's soulless devouring biorobot machine, who emites only artifical emotions. He's not character at all. No matter when he has his "arc" or he just walks together with other character, he MUST sow his individual personality, be character of LBT subgod dammit. Since second movie, he is nothing for me. T-T I'm very sad about it. I want to see different Spike.

Well, for me, JOTB is somewhere in the middle. He's far from close to be "pure worst", and for me, he has "prize place" in cathegory "sequel that had HUGEST potential" but failed in half-way.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Sep 25 2017 on  03:52 AM

huh, one of biggest problems that Spike IS forever supporting background character without his own will, feelings, actions, personality. For me, he's soulless devouring biorobot machine, who emites only artifical emotions. He's not character at all. No matter when he has his "arc" or he just walks together with other character, he MUST sow his individual personality, be character of LBT subgod dammit. Since second movie, he is nothing for me. T-T I'm very sad about it. I want to see different Spike.

Well, for me, JOTB is somewhere in the middle. He's far from close to be "pure worst", and for me, he has "prize place" in cathegory "sequel that had HUGEST potential" but failed in half-way.
Spike has untapped personality traits to be sure. He really only functions as Ducky's adoptive brother, nothing else. While Petrie has his own personality, family, and opines on almost everything. Spike I think is the screen writers of LBT afterthought; when writing dialogue they can use Spike a sounding board, and forget him for periods (long periods sometimes; basically Spike gets to jump over something, be scared, and maybe discover something new to eat, aside rom that he's fodder to remain at back of Gang for later).

Journey of Brave to me is a better sequel compared to the last two installments, but as you said, it falls short in areas. There is so much about the film that is great, Cesar Petrie, Reba, the Horned Carnotaur (closest to the Original Sharptooth we've gotten in a long time), and more; but much of this was untapped. Scenes suddenly get rushed, just when you think the Horned Sharptooth will battle Grandpa Longneck and Mr. Threehorn, or Chomper will communicate with it (doing something more than simply sniffing and tracking the Gang of Five); or what else could have been done with diggers, they could have threatened the rest of the Gang, and gone Ewok on them, tying up Cera, Spike, and Ducky, to supposedly be eaten, then Petrie flies down as Cesar and sets them free, after Cera throws a fit, and Petrie pauses long enough to make them all feel uncomfortable and like they are going to be digger dinner, but instead you discover the diggers only want grapes ruining it, and making Cera even more mad at Petrie.

The whole Bron rescue part is totally lackluster. What should have happened is Grand Pa Longneck and Mr. Threehorn help move the log, but then the Horned Sharptooth and Feather Sharpteeth arrive beneath the Volcano, and so Grand Pa and Topsy must fight them off, while kids rescue Bron like the film depicts, giving everyone a role; even Chomper could try and confuse the Sharpteeth by communicating them; and Ruby could search for something to waylay the Sharpteeth that plan to feed on Bron who is trapped. Perfect climax, Bron is in danger from sharpteeth and lava, Grand Pa and mr. Threehorn actually get to do something, and rest of Gang helps out like in LBT III: The Time of Great Giving.

Longneck3050

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Sep 29 2017 on  10:06 PM
Quote from: Snik,Sep 25 2017 on  03:52 AM

Spike has untapped personality traits to be sure. He really only functions as Ducky's adoptive brother, nothing else. While Petrie has his own personality, family, and opines on almost everything. Spike I think is the screen writers of LBT afterthought; when writing dialogue they can use Spike a sounding board, and forget him for periods (long periods sometimes; basically Spike gets to jump over something, be scared, and maybe discover something new to eat, aside rom that he's fodder to remain at back of Gang for later).

Journey of Brave to me is a better sequel compared to the last two installments, but as you said, it falls short in areas. There is so much about the film that is great, Cesar Petrie, Reba, the Horned Carnotaur (closest to the Original Sharptooth we've gotten in a long time), and more; but much of this was untapped. Scenes suddenly get rushed, just when you think the Horned Sharptooth will battle Grandpa Longneck and Mr. Threehorn, or Chomper will communicate with it (doing something more than simply sniffing and tracking the Gang of Five); or what else could have been done with diggers, they could have threatened the rest of the Gang, and gone Ewok on them, tying up Cera, Spike, and Ducky, to supposedly be eaten, then Petrie flies down as Cesar and sets them free, after Cera throws a fit, and Petrie pauses long enough to make them all feel uncomfortable and like they are going to be digger dinner, but instead you discover the diggers only want grapes ruining it, and making Cera even more mad at Petrie.

The whole Bron rescue part is totally lackluster. What should have happened is Grand Pa Longneck and Mr. Threehorn help move the log, but then the Horned Sharptooth and Feather Sharpteeth arrive beneath the Volcano, and so Grand Pa and Topsy must fight them off, while kids rescue Bron like the film depicts, giving everyone a role; even Chomper could try and confuse the Sharpteeth by communicating them; and Ruby could search for something to waylay the Sharpteeth that plan to feed on Bron who is trapped. Perfect climax, Bron is in danger from sharpteeth and lava, Grand Pa and mr. Threehorn actually get to do something, and rest of Gang helps out like in LBT III: The Time of Great Giving.
They also did help in the hidden canyon episode.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
If Journey of Brave is last Land Before Time film (though I hope it is not), it will be fitting in one respect. The first Land Before Time film featured Little Foot losing his Mother, and if Journey of the Brave is the last installment, then it features Little Foot trying to prevent losing His dad Bron (spoilers, I am not going to say what happens). The First LBT had Little Foot losing his mother, and if this is the last LBT features Little Foot trying to save the last parent he has.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Sep 30 2017 on  12:06 AM
You got that right :wub
But I think Red Claw should've been at the end instead of the Featherheads, it wouldn't make sense because they left their land for no reason, and honestly they got enough screentime. The Horned Sharptooth definitely didn't get enough, he could've been the next Plated Sharptooth if the creators gave the wandering sharptooth the justice he needed :)
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hypnobrai,Sep 30 2017 on  08:50 PM
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Sep 30 2017 on  12:06 AM
But I think Red Claw should've been at the end instead of the Featherheads, it wouldn't make sense because they left their land for no reason, and honestly they got enough screentime. The Horned Sharptooth definitely didn't get enough, he could've been the next Plated Sharptooth if the creators gave the wandering sharptooth the justice he needed :)
You do make a point that Featherhead Sharpteeth would probably not leave "The Land of Fatherheaded Sharpteeth." I do wish the Carnotaurus had more screen time and was able to battle Grand Pa Longneck and Mr. Threehorn, or at least one on one with Topsy while Grand Pa Longneck helps Bron.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A battle with the two grown-ups would have been neat indeed  <_<
Inactive, probably forever.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Quote from: Ducky123,Oct 1 2017 on  09:46 AM
A battle with the two grown-ups would have been neat indeed  <_<
Is that sarcasm? :unsure: I’m not really sure.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Sep 30 2017 on  12:06 AM

I sadly have never seen Red Claw (except the tribe in the Star Fox Adventures, Nintendo GameCube). As for the Horned Sharptooth, He is by far my favorite sharptootg, even more so than the original sharp tooth (sacrilege I know).

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Finally, after years of putting it off, I watched this movie. My verdict?

It was okay. I mean it in a positive way, but I feel like they could've done more with it. It felt quite minimalistic compared to past LBT movies (including the dreaded Movie 13). Then again, some of the crew (including the director and writers) are new, and I doubt they had the budget to afford more than what we got, so I guess I can give them a pass.

POSITIVES:

-Continuity references: I'm surprised they actually mentioned the death of Littlefoot's mother here. I think this was the first time they were this upfront about it (correct me if I'm wrong). It actually helped strengthen the urgency to save Bron for me. Oh, and of course, they actually brought Chomper, Ruby, and Bron back for this. They didn't really have to since today's generation might not know who these characters are, so this tells me the crew knew their stuff and wanted to appease older fans too.

-Grandpa Longneck: Surprisingly, I thought the new voice was quite appropriate. Yes, Kenneth Mars would've done a better job, but I believe there was a certain energy to his voice that gave Grandpa a sort of "still-in-his-prime" feeling. That energy is gone with Barry Bostwick, whose treatment instead communicated the fact that Grandpa is getting older and older, and he could be reaching the end of his days. At least that's how I saw it. So yeah, I didn't mind the new voice. (RIP Kenneth Mars, BTW. His last acting role was as Grandpa on the TV series. The character truly died with him.)

-Theme: The theme of leadership and teamwork was really pronounced here, which I found to be quite interesting. Littlefoot and Cera's conflict in the middle of the movie over how to navigate the group was a pretty sweet callback to the first movie. I think this is the first time in God knows how long where we see their relationship and differences in-depth.

MIXED FEELINGS:

-Songs: The songs are definitely a mixed bag. I liked "Look for the Light" and "Better Off Alone" and thought their tunes were pretty catchy. "Hot and Stinky" and "Today's the Day", on the other hand...eh. Definitely lower-ranked in my LBT playlist.

-Tone: Of course, this is a by-product of having new people on the crew, especially at the helm, but the tone was so strikingly all over the place. There are some scenes that definitely felt like LBT, but there were others that seemed out-of-place and even inconsequential, such as the Diggers scene.

-New characters: Etta and Wild Arms are definitely no Yellow Bellies, but I feel like more could've been done with those characters. Etta's only seen flying in a flashback, since her wing was singed, but they could've used her wing injury as a device for her own character development. Maybe she actively tries to save Bron from the Fire Mountain but got injured and couldn't, and now she has to live with it. She regains her flight when she gets over her guilt and a second chance presents itself. As for Wild Arms, he screamed "antagonist" to me, so they shouldn't have taken the safe road and instead just RUN AWAY with his traits of cowardice and arrogance. The fact that he gets off at the end of the movie just took me aback. On a positive note, I think Reba McEntire and Damon Wayans did well with what they were given.

NEGATIVES:

-Mr. Threehorn: Unlike Grandpa, his new voice is just so...UGH. There was nothing positive to glean from the new voice.

-Action sequences: My favorite parts of the LBT movies were always the scenes featuring Sharpteeth. So, when your new LBT entry leaves me unimpressed with the Sharpteeth scenes, you know you did something wrong. This is the first LBT movie to feature two different Sharpteeth species as antagonists, and yet, all three Sharpteeth were somehow bungled. I feel like didn't have enough budget to flesh out the scenes more, which is why the Sharpteeth scenes didn't feel as impressive. There wasn't even a payoff to it all; they just had Grandpa and Mr. Threehorn of all people (or dinosaurs, I should say) HIDE from the Carnotaurus, which just felt like a whole load of crap. They could've had all the adults face off against all three Sharpteeth in one final, climactic sequence, as another user had suggested before.

-Supporting characters: There was a surprising lack of supporting characters. It was only Grandpa and Mr. Threehorn who went out to the Mysterious Beyond to find the kids, which I found very unusual. It's usually all the parents, at the very least. Speaking of which, we didn't get to see Tria and/or Tricia. And on that note, we didn't even get to see SHORTY, who should've been with Bron's herd from the get-go. That is just...a whole other level of mind-boggling.

So yeah, overall, not a bad movie, and I don't regret watching it. Some areas were particularly disappointing, though. If they are working on a sequel (which I'm still hoping for), hopefully they're now more comfortable with the playing field and get a bigger budget, because I feel like the budget might've been lower than usual for this movie.

If there's going to be no more sequels (which is probably the case at this point), then I'm glad the franchise ended on this note and not that of LBT 13. The narrator saying Littlefoot had found something he hadn't been looking for (the value of his friends and friendship) was quite poignant for me. I couldn't have asked for a better ending to the franchise (aside from the gang growing up and having kids of their own, of course, but that would've taken an infinitely bigger budget).

I'll still have to think about where this movie ranks in my list of favorite LBT movies. But, other than that, not too shabby. Not too shabby indeed.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
@Dr.Rex,

I am glad you finally saw Journey of the Brave. I agree with most of your review. There were many wasted opportunties, especislly a climax with all adults versus the three Sharpteeth (I guess LBTX was the last time we got to see three Sharpteeth vs Bron and Gang). I however, disagree respectfully about the Diggers and Horned Sharptooth. The diggers and Cesar Petrie was a great gag, and the Horned Sharptooth as I aforementoned was the closest menance since The Original Sharptooth; He even leapt like him.

Your thoughts on Etta and Wild Arms was fascinating. I agree Etta should have as you said a chance to redeem herself and fly again in heroic fashion. Wild Arms as a villian or antagonist would have been interesting, that he was a Pterano type and left Bron on purpose would have been dark, something LBT needs a little of.

The omission of Tria and Shorty was disappointing. The new voices overs, particularly Grandpa Longneck and Topsy were fair, but no one can replace Kenneth Mars. He was Grandpa and for those of us who had no living grandpas, a surrogate grandpa via LBT.

If LBTXIV is the end, it is as you said a fitting one. Journey of the Brave is high on my favorites list:

1. LBT IV
2. LBT VI
3. LBT V
4. LBT XIV
5. LBT X 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:20:17 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
@Dr.Rex,

I am glad you finally saw Journey of the Brave. I agree with most of your review. There were many wasted opportunties, especislly a climax with all adults versus the three Sharpteeth (I guess LBTX was the last time we got to see three Sharpteeth vs Bron and Gang). I however, disagree respectfully about the Diggers and Horned Sharptooth. The diggers and Cesar Petrie was a great gag, and the Horned Sharptooth as I aforementoned was the closest menance since The Original Sharptooth; He even leapt like him.

Your thoughts on Etta and Wild Arms was fascinating. I agree Etta should have as you said a chance to redeem herself and fly again in heroic fashion. Wild Arms as a villian or antagonist would have been interesting, that he was a Pterano type and left Bron on purpose would have been dark, something LBT needs a little of.

The omission of Tria and Shorty was disappointing. The new voices overs, particularly Grandpa Longneck and Topsy were fair, but no one can replace Kenneth Mars. He was Grandpa and for those of us who had no living grandpas, a surrogate grandpa via LBT.

If LBTXIV is the end, it is as you said a fitting one. Journey of the Brave is high on my favorites list:

1. LBT IV
2. LBT VI
3. LBT V
4. LBT XIV
5. LBT X
You misunderstood. I didn't have any qualms about the Horned Sharptooth, specifically. I actually thought he was quite cool despite the brief screentime he got. And that's where the root of my problem with the movie's Sharpteeth lies at.

I respectfully disagree with the Diggers, though. I thought it was going to lead somewhere in which Petrie had to actually demonstrate real leadership skills (such as efficiently guiding the group and/or the Diggers through another sandstorm), but like you said, their scene was just for gag purposes. IMHO, gags should have some sort of payoff in the end, regardless of how long it takes to get to it. For example, in the beginning of LBT X, Littlefoot pokes at Cera's pride after he mocks sleep stories, and he gets her to try and literally split a huge rock in half. Of course, it ends miserably for her, all in the name of a good laugh for the audience. Then, near the end, Cera tries again on another rock, and though she doesn't actually split it in half, the impact does dislodge a good chunk of the top, which falls and hits Shorty on the head. Let's not forget that Cera was at first scared to try and hit a large rock headfirst, but on the second occasion, you don't hear anymore hesitation from her. This little C-plot may have been inconsequential in the grander scheme of things, but when compared beside one another, the two instances in the beginning and the end will show you a tiny snippet of Cera's character development in the film.

Can't say I observed something similar with Petrie and the Diggers. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
^I’ve noticed Sharpteeth are getting shorter screentime since LBTXI. I love the Horned Sharptooth, his behavior and sound (if you listen closely) is very Original Sharptooth. I agree he got too little screentime; I would have preferred he be the sole antagonist and they omit the Featherheaded Sharpteeth and gave the Horned Sharptooth their screen time. Instead of thd Land of the Featherhead Shadpteeth, it could have been called The Land of Shadow or the Land of the Horned Sharptooth and they could have made allusions to him being like a devil of sorrs.

I agree that the Digger bit was too short and did not have totally satisfying conclusion. Cesar Petrie was too shorf, and I would have preferred that Petrie order the Diggers to help find the underwater and cave system that lead to Bron.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
^I’ve noticed Sharpteeth are getting shorter screentime since LBTXI. I love the Horned Sharptooth, his behavior and sound (if you listen closely) is very Original Sharptooth. I agree he got too little screentime; I would have preferred he be the sole antagonist and they omit the Featherheaded Sharpteeth and gave the Horned Sharptooth their screen time. Instead of thd Land of the Featherhead Shadpteeth, it could have been called The Land of Shadow or the Land of the Horned Sharptooth and they could have made allusions to him being like a devil of sorrs.

I agree that the Digger bit was too short and did not have totally satisfying conclusion. Cesar Petrie was too shorf, and I would have preferred that Petrie order the Diggers to help find the underwater and cave system that lead to Bron.
Exactly my points! And the Horned Sharptooth being treated like a devil sounds like an awesome setup for an antagonist such as that! Can't see why they didn't go that route.

They didn't even HAVE to use the word "devil" if they wanted to avoid any religious connotations; there are plenty of synonyms they could've used.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

Exactly my points! And the Horned Sharptooth being treated like a devil sounds like an awesome setup for an antagonist such as that! Can't see why they didn't go that route.

They didn't even HAVE to use the word "devil" if they wanted to avoid any religious connotations; there are plenty of synonyms they could've used.

It would have been far more engaging to have a sharptooth that reminds the Gang of the original, oppose to the more tame specimens we’ve had. They could have used LBT language for “devil” like “Shadowwalker” because of his dark complexion or Shadowtooth. Something.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

It would have been far more engaging to have a sharptooth that reminds the Gang of the original, oppose to the more tame specimens we’ve had. They could have used LBT language for “devil” like “Shadowwalker” because of his dark complexion or Shadowtooth. Something.
Shadowwalker sounds like a GREAT name.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

I saw on your LBT Wiki page you have a epic Sharptooth Spectra!

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

I saw on your LBT Wiki page you have a epic Sharptooth Spectra!
Sorry, I'm not following...