The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fyn's "Art" Gallery

Fyn16 · 14 · 2977

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Heyo everyone! I may have set one of these up before, but for the life of me I can't find it. With the start of Ducky123's fanart prompt challenge, I've decided to create this page to display whatever borderline atrocities my eager fingers can scribble. I'm not the best artist- far from it- but I'm working to improve, so constructive criticism is very welcome! Also I'm terrible at backgrounds! Yay! Have a picture of Fyn and Cera!

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Very nice!  :) I will let other more-artistically minded people give more helpful feedback for this work, but I must say that I love your depiction of the fin-back in this drawing. The contrasting colors certainly make him stand out against the scenery, but also give his facial expression more character. I find myself wondering if Cera said something arrogant or witty and he is looking annoyed at her, or if she said something cryptic and he is trying to understand it.  The slight gap between them, with the tails appearing to almost touch, also indicates a gap in complete understanding between the two, while still showing the possibility for a connection.  They have lived different lives, but yet there is a slight connection there.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This is a nice picture, especially considering that this is the first picture you've posted here! Fyn and Cera are mostly drawn pretty well, especially their expressions, and the background is decent. The biggest problems I see here are their tails and legs. Those are pretty crude but other than that, this is a pretty good first drawing. Sure, there's a lot to improve but I still like the picture. It's great to see the first picture of this story.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think I'll leave the detailed review until the voting starts but for now... I must say you can definitely be proud of this one for a first. If I think back to my first fanart attempts... :bolt
Inactive, probably forever.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It looks very good. The colors where perfect and the drawing was amazing. Great job with the drawing you made.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I like this a lot! The expressions exchanged between the characters are very clear, and the poses are nice. I also like Fyn's design, he's a very distinct character :D There are only two things I would like to mention for constructive criticism.
The background is very interesting, and I particularly like your color choice for the sky, but I'm a little thrown off by the bold black line outlining the rock that they are standing on in the foreground. It is very dark and thicker than the character outlines, which makes it a bit distracting. I would suggest using a different color for the line, such as grey, making it thinner, or not using it entirely.
Also, Fyn's tail is very close to forming what is known as a "tangent" with cera's back. This happens when lines intersect in a way that confuses the eye, so it's hard to tell which is in the foreground and which is in the background. For something like that you could change the posing so that Fyn's tail is slightly lower and overlaped by Cera's back, or slightly higher so that the eyes are not drawn to the line intersection, and it more clearly appears that his tail is receding.
Hope that was somewhat helpful! If not, sorry :lol

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkWolf91,Jan 8 2017 on  12:58 AM
I like this a lot! The expressions exchanged between the characters are very clear, and the poses are nice. I also like Fyn's design, he's a very distinct character :D There are only two things I would like to mention for constructive criticism.
The background is very interesting, and I particularly like your color choice for the sky, but I'm a little thrown off by the bold black line outlining the rock that they are standing on in the foreground. It is very dark and thicker than the character outlines, which makes it a bit distracting. I would suggest using a different color for the line, such as grey, making it thinner, or not using it entirely.
Also, Fyn's tail is very close to forming what is known as a "tangent" with cera's back. This happens when lines intersect in a way that confuses the eye, so it's hard to tell which is in the foreground and which is in the background. For something like that you could change the posing so that Fyn's tail is slightly lower and overlaped by Cera's back, or slightly higher so that the eyes are not drawn to the line intersection, and it more clearly appears that his tail is receding.
Hope that was somewhat helpful! If not, sorry :lol
Incredibly helpful. I'm not an artistically-inclined individual by any means, and most art terms are lost on me, I'm afraid, but your descriptions are clear, and I thank you for them! I've only begun to try my hand at this, so hopefully I can apply these changes in the near future!

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

I've been trying to improve my faces. Here are a few sketches I did of a few of my characters, Fyn, Sol, Rear, and Osta. I'm actually pleased with the progress on Sol and Fyn. Decidedly less pleased about Rear.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
These sketches look actually pretty good. I'd say they have more details than your first drawing and more distinguished expressions. Also, the overall anatomy seems quite correct. They could look pretty nice in a complete drawing. It's nice to see you improve on this front too.  :)

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
One appears to be an Allosaurus. What's its name?
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/
Yet another art thread I like a lot!

Keep it up, mate :)

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Great to see more art from you! Faces are tough, and I've been having trouble with Sol's face in particular, so it's nice to get a glimpse of how you envision him :smile (Yes, I am actually still working on that request... it just takes me forever to do things :lol )

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Can't agree more art is alway welcome here