The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My musical compositions and improvisation thread

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
I figured it was time for me to show off some of the musical talents that I have. Being an undiagnosed savant in music, I am easily able to improvise on most of the instruments I play, and can play many tunes by ear.

Shown here is just a touch of what I can do. I hope you enjoy it.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow, some very interesting and peaceful harmonies :yes I'd like to hear more of you for sure!  :wow
Inactive, probably forever.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ready for a song that'll be stuck in your head for life? Well, here it is!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Long time no post, I presume?  :lol

Here's a look at an instrumental portion to one of my songs from my somewhat still-in-progress fanfiction.

Link here.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's awesome, The Anonymous Person! Holy crap, I envy that!

Hey, have you ever attempted to reproduce a score to a piece of music by ear?

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^Many, many times, sometimes to success, sometimes to failure. I don't have any pieces or songs to name in particular, but I do have that ability. Thanks for the comment. Glad you enjoyed it.  :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Glad you enjoyed it.
Absolutely!

I'm looking to take on music composition a bit more seriously these days, myself. I'm just working out the specifics of the project but I'm considering doing something along the lines of

"A collection of music that's a series of odes to the things I love most in life."

LBT would be on that list, for example, so there would be a piece of music dedicated to what LBT means to me.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I actually would like to go to college for a degree in music composition. I'm already doing some occasional music composing and arranging through software.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I actually would like to go to college for a degree in music composition.

I respect that choice very much. :) I have considered it but I think a degree would be a little too academic for me, with regards to music. I've taken a bit of music theory ("enough to be dangerous"  :lol ) and it does the job well enough. There isn't much more I want from a formal music education.

Why are you considering pursuing a degree? What are you looking to get from it?

I'm already doing some occasional music composing and arranging through software.
Me too; software is exclusively how I compose and produce music. I'm not much of a performer.

What software do you use?

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What software do you use?

MuseScore; probably the best free online music software available, I think.

Why are you considering pursuing a degree? What are you looking to get from it?

I guess it's because I don't know everything there is about music yet as far as composing. I mean, I know quite a lot, as you can probably already tell by now, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot more about it upon going into college. I still have time to reconsider, too, as I graduate from high school next year (yes, I'm 16 and you just heard that stuff from me.  :p ).

What do I hope to get from it? Say, for instance, if LBT (or whatever other media I'm interested in) is still running in my late 20's or so, and I wanted to write a score and/or songs for it or something, the producers and directors might say yes when they see I have a music degree. Then again, they might not, but you never know. In addition, I could compose music or write songs for other singers, writers, and producers, or I could just write and perform them for myself. I constantly perform throughout school and other places; I'm a percussionist in band and I am a bass singer in the school's select choir (which is an audition class of sorts), as well as playing drum set in a combined jazz band, in addition to other instruments I play. I also offer a pretty wide vocal range.

So yeah, I suppose a degree for me is helpful just for the fact that I would be better educated for more challenging particles in the near future.  :yes

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thanks. BTW, what did anyone think of my sax solo there? Hopefully I didn't stink on it.  :p

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
No, nothing musically interesting this time. Just some narration of children's literature...
narration of children's literature...

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
EDIT: Track originally featured on this post has now been deleted and will be re-recorded and reposted in the future.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
A little while ago, me and Dalek in the caption section briefly discussed "The Raccoons", which for those unfamiliar is an animated TV show from the 80s. Of course, it had to be useful sooner or later.

Here is my cover of the show's theme music. Feel free to compare it to the original if you'd like.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
"The Raccoons", which for those unfamiliar is an animated TV show from the 80s. Of course, it had to be useful sooner or later.
I remember watching that! It was actually pretty cool.  :p

You captured the original sound with a lot of authenticity! I'm impressed; well done!